Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Forgot to take progress pics, but Beer Bread Attempt #1 in the oven.

And because I'm just white trash on the wrong side of the Atlantic, I used the only beer I had in the house, Budweiser.

cheap beer works better, imho.

The taste isn't much different unless you like super hoppy bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The beer bread wasn't a SPECTACULAR failure, but it didn't really rise. Still good enough to eat though.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

needed better beer, son.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Normally I make a bunch of jerk chicken wings with homemade jerk. I'm gonna be pretty short on time this year, so I'm gonna use this outback steakhouse giftcard that I got for Christmas to get a bunch of bloomin' onions because when the gently caress else am I going to use it.

I expect everyone will be dead by halftime. The house covered in fried onion induced poo poo. The world's worst ritual suicide.

Smarms
Aug 27, 2008
Hosting a party for about 12 friends, here's what I'm making:

Pulled Pork Sliders:

14-16lb bone-in pork shoulder
1 large sweet yellow onion
8 cloves of garlic
1 jalapeno
1/2 lb brown sugar, light
1/4 stick of butter
Worcestershire Sauce
Dill Pickle Chips

Slider buns
Provolone Cheese

Mince your onion, garlic, and seeded (important!) jalapeno. Sweat all 3 in butter until the onions are translucent. Place mixture in bottom of large crock pot.

Coat the entire pork shoulder in brown sugar, pack it tight. Place sugar-packed roast into crockpot on top of minced/sweated veggies. Then top with about 3 Tbsp of Worcestershire Sauce and 3 Tbsp of pickle brine. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours. I usually let it cook overnight the night before serving.

Once the cook time is done, use kitchen tongs to remove the bone from the meat, and the meat from the crock pot. Place in a large metal mixing bowl to rest a bit. As the meat rests, strain your cooking liquid from your crockpot through a colander/mesh and into another bowl. You should now have 3 containers of stuff:

1) Your meat, in a bowl waiting to be pulled.
2) Your solids, in another vessel
3) Your cooking liquid.

Toss the bowl of cooking liquid in the freezer. We want the fat to start separating from the broth. Once it starts to separate, skim the fat off the liquid and discard.

Pour remaining, fatless liquid in a pan to reduce on medium heat, stir once or twice. You should lose about half the volume. This is your BBQ sauce. Only heathens buy BBQ sauce from a store.

As your sauce reduces (takes about 20-30 minutes), use two forks to shred your pork. Once shredded, incorporate your veggie solids and dump the whole mess back in the crock pot on low heat. After the sauce reduces, dump it back on as well. Mix well on low heat, keep it at low until serving time.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Blew it on the bbq sauce bro

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I got invited to a party just now so I guess I need to think of something to bring. I've made this for a few tailgates here before and it's pretty popular-

1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup mozzarella
1/2 cup parmesan
6 oz cream cheese
Pizza cheese
Tomato Sauce
Pepperoni (or whatever else you like to put on a pizza)

Heat the first four items on the stove over medium-low, stirring constantly to make sure it all blends together smoothly. Pour into small baking pan and spread out evenly. Cover with layer of tomato sauce, then cheese and toppings as desired. Bake at 450F until bubbling (probably 10-12 minutes). Best eaten with little bread slices but sturdy chips are probably OK.

The only problem is that you have to eat it while it's still warm, but that's never been an issue for us.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

C-Euro posted:

I got invited to a party just now so I guess I need to think of something to bring. I've made this for a few tailgates here before and it's pretty popular-

1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup mozzarella
1/2 cup parmesan
6 oz cream cheese
Pizza cheese
Tomato Sauce
Pepperoni (or whatever else you like to put on a pizza)

Heat the first four items on the stove over medium-low, stirring constantly to make sure it all blends together smoothly. Pour into small baking pan and spread out evenly. Cover with layer of tomato sauce, then cheese and toppings as desired. Bake at 450F until bubbling (probably 10-12 minutes). Best eaten with little bread slices but sturdy chips are probably OK.

The only problem is that you have to eat it while it's still warm, but that's never been an issue for us.

Dude, eat that poo poo with garlic bread.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm gonna make lasagna and maybe a dessert. Not very interesting, but :shrug:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Smarms posted:

Toss the bowl of cooking liquid in the freezer. We want the fat to start separating from the broth. Once it starts to separate, skim the fat off the liquid and discard.

Pour remaining, fatless liquid in a pan to reduce on medium heat, stir once or twice. You should lose about half the volume. This is your BBQ sauce. Only heathens buy BBQ sauce from a store.

As your sauce reduces (takes about 20-30 minutes), use two forks to shred your pork. Once shredded, incorporate your veggie solids and dump the whole mess back in the crock pot on low heat. After the sauce reduces, dump it back on as well. Mix well on low heat, keep it at low until serving time.

Add mustard powder (ground from seeds if possible), cayenne, salt, pepper, some vinegar (apple cider is preferred), onion powder, garlic powder, a little tomato paste, a couple dashes of Worcestershire, and smoked paprika (optional) to actually make it resemble bbq sauce.

e: nothing wrong with your sauce (I bet it's delicious) but it's definitely not a BBQ sauce

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 6, 2016

Bonham
Aug 14, 2009

Kill! Kill! Kill!
To anyone considering putting a pork shoulder in the slow cooker- think about your life, where things have gone wrong, how you had so much promise, and then go get a smoker from the craigslist and treat your food right

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
apartment living

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
You really can't cook poo poo in an apartment.

That's why you gotta be a to go food pro.

:cmon:

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHlzTShp0_U

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Pron on VHS posted:

apartment living

I'm deathly afraid of cooking steak in my apartment because we have sprinklers in here and virtually no windows, and I don't want to smoke the place out/soak everything I own.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Bonham posted:

To anyone considering putting a pork shoulder in the slow cooker- think about your life, where things have gone wrong, how you had so much promise, and then go get a smoker from the craigslist and treat your food right

You can't have a smoker in an apartment in the middle of the city :smith:

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
I'm ordering Pizza Hut. Hope that's cool with you guys

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Parmesan Basil posted:

I'm ordering Pizza Hut. Hope that's cool with you guys

I'm getting Costco pizzas :hf:

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

old dog child posted:

I'm getting Costco pizzas :hf:

Never had one! Awaiting a trip report!

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Please don't eat to much. Costco pizza is like 800 calories a slice and I don't want you to die.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Parmesan Basil posted:

Bad crust, otherwise better than most chain places, it'll do in a pinch if you don't want anything fancier than Dominos or what have you. I'm biased though, Costco being 10 blocks from my house means I'm a big supporter, but if you're getting pizza and it's not for a big office or school party or whatever, why not splurge and get something better?

Edit: furthering my bias admission, I refuse to eat Pizza Hut or Little Caesars or other places like that, so take that into account.

Thaddius the Large fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 6, 2016

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Going to roll with some Tombstone frozen pizzas and some natty ice.

But really, I'm going to make some pulled pork sliders using my crockpot. I'll try to use the above recipe.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I might go with a Jet's BBQ chicken pizza tomorrow

that sounds good

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
What the gently caress is Jets?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

vinegar pulled pork sandwiches, cole slaw, baked beans, and corn bread

go the panthers bitch

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

FizFashizzle posted:

go the panthers bitch

if the Dolphins ever make the super bowl I probably won't be able to eat

not too worried about it ever happening tho

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

C-Euro posted:

I'm deathly afraid of cooking steak in my apartment because we have sprinklers in here and virtually no windows, and I don't want to smoke the place out/soak everything I own.

Sprinklers aren't triggered by smoke, but by heat

Also, I've got some pasta sauce simmering on the stove and about to start on cherry bars for dessert

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ehud posted:

yeah im pretty sure im not going to touch it, I just feel like i should be making something

if i go to a party i'll bring it. Most likely I'll just be sitting at home on the floor crying.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Jet's is awesome, Domino's is fine, Little Caesars plays its role perfectly, Hungry Howie's is awesome. I don't know what cheap pizza seekers would do without the great state of Michigan.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I made this taco dip from the GWS wiki and added green onion, black olives, and jalapenos. Well that's all

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

A Man and his dog posted:

Please don't eat to much. Costco pizza is like 800 calories a slice and I don't want you to die.

I'm getting 4 for a big rear end group of people because I'm too lazy to make wings this year...although I guess it makes sense to assume a goon would be eating the pizza by himself, heh. Besides, pizza is the best meal you could have before drinking a ton. Protein, carbs, fiber and vitamins (I'm getting supreme so there's vegetables). Booya

Thaddius the Large posted:

Bad crust, otherwise better than most chain places, it'll do in a pinch if you don't want anything fancier than Dominos or what have you. I'm biased though, Costco being 10 blocks from my house means I'm a big supporter, but if you're getting pizza and it's not for a big office or school party or whatever, why not splurge and get something better?

Edit: furthering my bias admission, I refuse to eat Pizza Hut or Little Caesars or other places like that, so take that into account.

You're doing yourself a disservice if you haven't sat down alone and gorged on a Little Caesar's bacon pizza at least once in your life

Parmesan Basil posted:

Honestly anything Costco/Kirkland is good for the price.

FizFashizzle posted:

go the panthers bitch

elite meal

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 7, 2016

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

nerve posted:

I made this taco dip from the GWS wiki and added green onion, black olives, and jalapenos. Well that's all

:hfive:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ehud posted:

I might go with a Jet's BBQ chicken pizza tomorrow

that sounds good

drat they have Jet's down by you? Deep dish or bust with that stuff.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

C-Euro posted:

drat they have Jet's down by you? Deep dish or bust with that stuff.

yeah they just started opening up around here

I get the deep dish BBQ with garlic crust

stuff will make you slap your granny

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ehud posted:

This is pretty much me. I bought food but i wont want to eat it.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I need to eat because I lost so much energy from sacrificing babies all day.

Hail Satan, Heil Fuhrer Hail Elway

Bonham
Aug 14, 2009

Kill! Kill! Kill!

C-Euro posted:

http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2009/04/the-butter-steak-whats-the-best-way-to-cook-a-steak.html

^ best way to do steak smoke free

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

BlindSite posted:

This is pretty much me. I bought food but i wont want to eat it.
I'll be done with eating wings from a local place before kickoff, during the game is beer and worries.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ehud posted:

yeah they just started opening up around here

I get the deep dish BBQ with garlic crust

stuff will make you slap your granny

My man

Also my man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I want to make sliders for tomorrow but because I'm a moron I didn't buy pork to roast. Any suggestions for a literal game time decision?

• Locked thread