Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Agerios Lapheusix
HP: 30/30 Armor: 0 (3 with equipment) Souls: 22 Bag of Obols: 5/5

I follow the strange woman in silence, somewhat comforted by the idea that someone around here isn't cluelessly stumbling around the darkness.

When the vessel splits, a part floats towards me. The shape seems flickering and uncertain, until it forms what appears to be a bag of coins. Obols, but almost unnaturally perfectly shaped, flat, smooth discs with a a notch down the middle. Perhaps it morphed into a familiar form to me, or perhaps the burial rites of the Polis were based on it? I resisted the urge to put one in my mouth and bite it in half. Perhaps simply snapping it in half between my fingers would have the same effect. That would be less of a choking hazard, at least.

When the woman urges the others to jump, I interject: "Let us not trivialize death even further." I do not feel like discussing my views on life and death just yet, but certainly these strangers, as different as our cultures may be, hold some sort of importance for human life and dignity?

Later, when we are in the Crypt Below, I feel uneasy and fragile without my armor and weapon. I tell my companions: "Watch my back," and walk up to a nearby corpse. Perhaps I would get another vision similar to that of Philkronos. I kneel next to a puddle of dried blood, and place my hands in the middle of it, palms down.

Discern Realities?

quote:

Name: Agerios Lapheusix
Look: Hidden eyes, Corinthian helmet, built body, proud chest

Stats:

Class: Warrior lvl. 1
HP: 30
Armor: 0/3
Base Damage: D10
Alignment: Neutral- Defeat a worthy opponent

STR: 13 (+1)
DEX: 16 (+2)
CON: 15 (+1)
WIS: 12 (0)
INT: 9 (0)
CHA: 8 (-1)
LUCK: 7

Moves:
Human
Once per battle you may reroll a single damage roll (yours or someone else's).

Bend Bars, Lift Gates
When you use pure strength to destroy an inanimate obstacle, roll+Str. ✴On a 10+, choose
3. ✴On a 7-9 choose 2.
•  It doesn’t take a very long time
•  Nothing of value is damaged
•  It doesn’t make an inordinate amount of noise
•  You can fix the thing again without a lot of effort

Armored
You ignore the clumsy tag on armor you wear.

Signature Weapon
This is your weapon. There are many like it, but this one is yours. Your weapon is your best
friend. It is your life. You master it as you master your life. Your weapon, without you, is useless.
Without your weapon, you are useless. You must wield your weapon true.
Choose a base description, all are 2 weight:

Spear
Reach
Sharp: +2 piercing
Perfectly Weighted: add precise
Look: Classical

Load: 8/13

Signature weapon (2 weight)
Bronze breastplate (2 armor, 3 weight)
Hoplon(+1 armor, 2 weight)
Bag of Obols (5 uses, 1 weight)
7 souls

bonds:
Ser Dominik Colfax seems like an honorable man. His soul practically shines like Titanium.
Mikaela speaks of absolute truths, but her morals are as fluid as Mercury.
Odessa has a heart of gold. Beautiful and pure, but malleable and no good in a fight.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix
HP: 30/30 Armor: 0 (3 with equipment) Souls: 22 Bag of Obols: 5/5 Luck: 7/7

As the light in the blood blinds me, I avert my eyes and raise one arm to cover them. "Okay," I speak to the world in general, "I hope I do not burst into flame now." After a few tense seconds, I look over my shoulder, still crouching near the blood, and see Odessa's... Shenanigans.

"I'll have you know that's a prime hoplon and cuirass you're toying with." There is no animosity in my voice, but rather amusement at seeing such a frail person clad in heavy armor. "Pray tell, do you think you could tell me how you performed that trick?" As I speak these words, I feel something unlock in the back of my mind. I could... I feel I could summon this equipment myself, but I somehow seem to lack the creativity. And there is a nagging feeling that I would have to give something back in equivalent exchange. I'm... Unwilling to part with whatever I'd have to give up.

I turn my attention back outward, and ask Odessa: "You spoke of memories? Can you conjure me any name or specific events? Perhaps I knew him. Or her," I add quickly, remembering that we did indeed have bronzeborn women by our side during some battles.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix

The memory comes to me as a shock. It was, all things considered, a mundane one. But it was mine nonetheless.

I had been walking down the portico with a teacher and some other students. We must have been... Eight or nine, I believe? His name was Aristophanes, a goldborn with a curly white beard, and he had been lecturing us about Socristeles, one of the seven wise founders of the city. It was a hot summer day, and it was a lecture about his words on temperance, I think. A completely normal day, had it not been for a distressed merchant complaining loudly on the side of the road to some soldiers. We overheard the conversation (or rather, his monologue!) and Aristophanes motioned us to stop. The issue the merchant had was that somebody had stolen the kitchen knife he used for the meat in his store, and the compensation the Magistrate had given him had been approximately five coppers. A meager sum, but it should have covered the costs of acquiring another similar knife.

The problem the merchant had was that he did not want another knife, he wanted the one that had been stolen from him back. But with the culprit anonymous and at large, the soldiers said they could not do more. The merchant seemed visibly upset, and explained with an abundance of hand gestures that this knife had been passed down from father to son, and that it had brought his family business good fortune. Aristophanes then loudly resumed class, and used the merchant as an example. "This," he said in a calm matter-of-fact voice, "Is why personal property is forbidden for all but the lowest caste. It only leads to greed, which in turn leads to heartburn and unhappiness." The merchant, hearing Aristophanes' comment, turned and replied: "You are right, I have seen the error of my ways! I will return home and tell my father that my filial piety is rooted in greed and sin." His voice sounded like he was tearing up at those last words, and I am certain his shoulders shook in sobbing when he turned and stormed off. Aristophanes concluded the intermezzo by stating: "Incidentally, this is also why those of metal souls do not have families related by blood. Such favoritism only leads your heart astray from your duty as a citizen."

I had noted and later understood these words. I could not be the soldier I am today if I feared losing a family heirloom in the thick of battle, or if I had to choose between allegiance to the Polis or to my kin.

But I still felt sad for the merchant, that day.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix

"Yes, that would be a phalanx formation. Not much good to us in cramped spaces and in such small number, however. Single combat styles will serve us better."

I gingerly get up to touch the spear icon and another mote, if possible.

OOC: Whoops, I thought only Dom was trapped. Assume Dom interrupts that thought of mine? :v:

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 25, 2016

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix
HP: 30/30 Armor: 1 (3 with cuirass) Souls: 7 Bag of Obols: 5/5 Luck: 7/7

The immediate danger being out of the way, I walk to the spear icon Odessa had made for me earlier, and touch it. Then I say: "I assume the frailer of the two remaining corpses will be yours, and the bulkier one the paladin's." as I stride towards the two remaining motes. "I think I understand now. Whoever wants to hold onto the shield Odessa conjured may do so. I think I could..."

I imagine my shield as best as I can. Or, well, it wasn't "my" shield. It was a shield manufactured by and for the Polis that I simply happened to carry that day. But I still remember seeing the image of a horse painted on its front, front hooves kicking victoriously in the air, the scratches and imperfections on the iron, its comforting and reassuring weight and sturdiness...

"Recreate it."

And then I had a shield.

"Odessa, do you think you could return my cuirass and helm to me? You should be able to get your own equipment back when you touch your own mote here."

The idea of venturing forth with a cleric's equipment instead of my own is not a very comfortable one, and I refuse to snatch Dom's equipment from under his nose.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix
HP: 30/30 Armor: 1 (3 with cuirass) Souls: 7 Bag of Obols: 5/5 Luck: 7/7

I see Odessa is suddenly struck by some more bolts, and run up to her. I kneel and put my hand on her shoulder. "Are you okay, little one?" I feel some regret as I had just asked her to surrender the armor that could have dampened the impact somewhat. "I promise you, as soon as I figure out a way to conjure an extra cuirass from my memory, I am passing one to you."

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix
HP: 30/30 Armor: 3 Souls: 7 Bag of Obols: 5/5 Luck: 7/7

I fully summon my equipment for the first time now I have retrieved all of my armor and my spear, and feel a lot more comfortable. I was feeling a little bit exposed wearing just my chiton.

"Okay, everyone. Stick behind me for now. Dominik, ready when you are."

And with those words, I cautiously approach the dais, my hoplon raised and trusty spear at the ready for an overhand thrust. Let's see what this artifact looks like, eh?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix

slydingdoor posted:

Just as the Souls glow brighter and sprout a tail that seeks out your hands, this item seeks you out to be absorbed, leaving the dais and chasing you if it has to. What form does each of yours take? What do you think of it?

Moirai shears. When I hold them, I see faint threads of life around me, sprouting forth from my heart, as if it were a ball of yarn. I feel like I could cut one of them with these shears and transfer the power, but I'm not going to try that. The thought it macabre, and I put the shears away.

slydingdoor posted:

From where you end up, you notice that the point where you all entered the crypt: a peculiar spiral sword, point stabbed deep into the ground: has a twin directly above it, on as yet whole ceiling bricks. The pale light is crawling towards you and the rest of the party through the crevices between the bricks, high and low. What do you all do?

I see Odessa's unreal movements above me and say: "Huh, I get the feeling I have witnessed such an effect before."

And as I see the light crawl towards me, I let go of the rope and do a sprint towards the sword. No problem, I've done marathons in armor before! I'm sure I can grab the thing and be back before the light even threatens the bricks the sword is in.

DD + DEX = 8

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix

I rub my chin in thought, and then say: "I would not wish to impose my own land upon the rest, but Mikaela is right. The chances of meeting Mikaela's deity in person are... slim. I somehow fear the gods have rather forsaken this world." I then shrug. "I don't know how many Philosopher-Kings are in this twisted caricature of the Polis, but at least it's the Polis, with its buildings and libraries more or less intact. We will have to make our way from the groove outside the city to the gates, and then up the Acropolis through the streets. The journey might take a while. I have caught a brief glance of my land and it is overrun with the beasts of legend. If, during our time there, any of you wish to return to the Nexus, let me know and we will break off our attempt."

And with that, I walk back to my own gravestone. I ask Odessa: "Would you like to rest a bit before we go?'"

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix

Looking at the tree, I shudder a bit and sigh. "This is depressing, really. It was such a beautiful grove, too."

I take in the environment, and take a few steps towards the stairs leading to the temple. I say: "I am not exactly an expert on the matters of the gods, but I know this temple at least. It's devoted to Thassalothio, the God of the Sea and Fish. You can't see it from here, but it's built on the edge of a cliff overlooking the water." I know the way to the Polis from here, but it's a short walk to the Temple, and we might as well start there. I dread to see the current state of the sea, though.

I pause as I see Odessa zone out at Philokronos' bloodstain. When she seems to have regained her senses, I say: "A terrible fate, is it not? I wonder why I was not there with him. I wonder... Why I was chosen. And by whom." I look down to the bloodied grass and can't help but think that there were many better canditates, many virtuous men and skilled fighters who would have been better champions than me. "I simply cannot help but wonder."

I try to shake off these ill thoughts. What has happened, has happened. I will try to make the best of it.

"Onwards?"

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix
HP: 30/30 Armor: 3 Souls: 7 Luck: 7/7 Bag of Obols: 5/5 Shears: 2/2

I grimace as some of the revolting creatures land on me, and grab them with my bare hands. I then give them a good squeeze* until they pop, and let the crushed carcasses fall beside me. I am not in a good mood right now.

I materialize my spear and shield, and pound my foot into the dusty plain, as if to plant it firmly into the earth and stand my ground. I let out a fierce shout as I slam my cuirass with my wristbands, and yell to my companions: "Move, towards the Temple! Now!"
If we are inside a building, then we won't have as much difficulty defending against numerically superior foes. We might even funnel them into a doorway.

Defending my companions as we run towards the Temple: 8. I have 1 Hold.

*Defied Danger with StrengthSeems this was a hack and slash move, one that did 8 damage.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 31, 2016

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix

I see Odessa perform a direct hit on the beetle with the shield and.. That was rather impressive.

"Were you a discus thrower, Odessa?" I ask, as I scan around the group for likely targets. The Gadflies dispersed, for now. Time to go for the beetle, then!

I pick up speed as I get it in my sights. I'm starting to feel it. This is going to be a nice one. Run up to it, overhand thrust, spear the ugly thing. The weight and momentum will be enough to-

Hack & Slash: Rolled a 6

Oops.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 31, 2016

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix

"Odessa!" I yell, as the beetle crushes her. When it turns its attention to me, I wonder where the corpse went. I can still "feel" her, as it were. But no time for that, I see. I need to retrieve my spear somehow, and Dominik is giving me the opportunity I need.

I hold my hoplon in both hands and run up to the upturned beetle, then drop my entire weight on the shield and slam its edge into the exposed beetle.

H&S: 7!
Damage: 6

For good measure, I reach up and slam the sharp edge into the ugly thing a few more times.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix
HP: 19/30 Armor: 2/3 Souls: 7 Luck: 7/7 Bag of Obols: 5/5 Shears: 2/2

I slide the carcass off me and let go of my shield and helmet. "Revolting critter," I say, then run to where Odessa was crushed. I can't believe she would simply disappear like this. I'll retrieve my helm and hoplon later if I can, but for now, I need to figure out where she is.

When I'm at the spot, I see some bloodstains on the dry grass and cracked earth. I kneel next to them, avoiding the blood at all costs (I have no desire to relive her final moments myself) and try to feel any residual energy. I'm the only one in a somewhat solid form, my companions resembling spectres more than corpses, and I'm certain that there is a sort of link between all of us. One that might still be there between Odessa and me. Perhaps one I can rekindle.

I concentrate on the air around me, and suddenly feel a familiar shape in the swirling souls of the Nexus. She's there. I can feel her!
I gently search for her string of life in the chaotic whirlpool, and touch it ever so slightly, letting my fingers delicately wrap around it. Then, I give it a gentle tug, and I feel she drifts closer to me. Afraid of severing the thread, I imbue it, wrapping my own thread of life around it, and reach for my shears. This is going to hurt, I know. But I need her with us, right now.

With my left hand, I drag her essence towards me, and when I feel she has found me, I snip the thread to separate us, leaving a generous chunk to her.

Giving Odessa 8 HP of mine, and bringing her back!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix

To Dom, I say: "I think I can conjure the equipment later on. Maybe only when we return to the nexus, but it won't be gone forever, I think. Let's not leave the gals alone out there."

And with that, I jog towards Mikaela and Odessa's last known position.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix

I stand behind Dom and scan the horizon, intent on helping him pick up danger before it surprises us.

Aiding Dom: A 10!

Without so much as a word, we move and shift together, two trained warriors in mutual understanding. I reach for one of my obols and place it in my mouth, ready to bite as soon as necessary.

Bring it on, harpies.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix
HP: 30/30 Armor: 2/3 Souls: 7 Luck: 7/7 Bag of Obols: 4/5 Shears: 2/2

As the harpy attacks me, I bite hard into the obol. It snaps surprisingly easily, and immediately starts dissipating in my mouth, turning into a sort of foul-tasting, foamy substance. It feels soothing to the mouth, though, and I feel rejuvenated when I swallow it. Unfortunately, the vile beast got the drop on me, but Odessa quickly disposes of it.

I hold my spear with both hands, like a short pike, and back up towards Odessa. "Not even the trees themselves are allowed to rest in this wretched place. Do you suppose the earth or sky itself will try to slay us next?" I'm trying to put everything in perspective, but the world in general attempting to kill us is no longer outside of the realm of possibility now.

"The longer we waste our time here, the more we'll be under attack. I propose we fight our way to the temple, fair and square." I have never fled from a fight and I do not intend to start now.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix
HP: 30/30 Armor: 2/3 Souls: 7 Luck: 6/7 Bag of Obols: 4/5 Shears: 2/2

I laugh as the tree tries to sink me into the ground. "Haha!" I boast, "That's right! Get closer! I'll make firewood out of you!" I grab the roots on my left leg with my free hand, and pull with all of my might.

DD+STR=6...

It's... Not going quite as easily as I expected.

Perhaps I did bite off more than we could chew? Did I condemn myself, and worse yet, Odessa, to a painful end?
Well, too far in now to backtrack. If we're going to face certain death, we might as well go all in and make them work for it.

Lady Luck, I beseech thee! Let me bravado these trees to death! (Rolled an 11, and marking off 1 luck.)

I greedily dig with my bare hands into the earth around the roots by my feet, and try to uproot the whole ordeal while I yell: "aaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!"

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 12, 2016

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix

I grin as I see the opening Odessa left for me. "All right," I shout, "I'm going to show you a secret Attican combat manoeuvre!"

I dash towards the tree that got... ineffectually backstabbed by Venner, sidestep it at the last moment, and skedaddly out of there, towards the temple. Let's work those legs!

DD+DEX: 9!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix

When I feel the imminent discharge upon setting my foot on the stairs, I immediately recoil and land awkwardly. I bear it with gritted teeth, but that's going to hurt when the adrenaline rush ends.

"What is going on here?" I say, looking at the vortex above the temple.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix

"Evocative... I suppose so. Imagine what it must have been in its glory days. Shepherds resting under the trees. The smell of honey and wine in the air, youth playing in the river under the summer heat. Instead, there are only corpses under wilted branches, the smell of death and rot, and pestilence stains the waters."

I sigh. To change my thoughts, I turn my attention back to the riddle on the steps. Can I remember any sort of myth or song that sounds familiar to these words?

Spout lore: 9

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix

I lower my head a bit when Odessa tells me she has never even smelled honey. "That is a shame. I wished I could say I would keep some for you next time I come across it, but this place clearly does not even allow the tiniest luxuries and pleasures in life to coexist with the depressing grimness. On that note," I speak, rubbing the carved belly on my armor, "are any of you getting hungry? I haven't eaten in forever, but I don't seem to need or even want food."

I look at the skull Odessa picks up, and the charred corpses in the craters, and think to myself that perhaps my body is simply too revolted to even think about food in the circumstances.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix

I am entirely stumped by this device. My first instinct with everything up to this point has been to bruteforce my way through, but these steps seem like something else entirely...

"I can read the words on the steps but simply have no idea what to make of them," I say, and then:

quote:

Imagine that the keeper of a huge, strong beast notices what makes it angry, what it desires, how it has
to be approached and handled, the circumstances and the conditions under which it becomes particularly
fierce or calm, what provokes its typical cries, and what tones of voice make it gentle or wild. Once
he's spent enough time in the creature's company to acquire all this information, he calls it knowledge,
forms it into a systematic branch of expertise, and starts to teach it, despite total ignorance, in fact,
about which of the creature's attitudes and desires is commendable or deplorable, good or bad, moral
or immoral. His usage of all these terms simply conforms to the great beast's attitudes, and he describes
things as good or bad according to its likes and dislikes, and can't justify his usage of the terms any
further, but describes as right and good the things which are merely indispensable, since he hasn't
realised and can't explain to anyone else how vast a gulf there is between necessity and goodness.

Nope.

"Perhaps simply a red herring? Can any of you make sense of this?" I muse upon the words for a bit. "Perhaps being struck by lightning is "good"? Or simply necessary, even though we know it is not good?" I look back at the charred corpses in the craters. "Then again... Probably not. Anybody willing to, uh, test this hypothesis?"

I start thinking about how the device works exactly. Is it activated by pressure? By mass above it? By mere contact with the steps? Are certain key words safe? If it was recently activated, does it have a cooling down or recharging time? Is it the same device that protects all the steps, or multiple of them?

I approach the door Venner and Dominik are struggling with. "May I?"

Pulling open this door with my manlier strength!

It doesn't take a very long time.
It doesn’t make an inordinate amount of noise.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 24, 2016

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
-Oops, quote is not edit.-

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix
HP: 30/30 Armor: 3/3 Souls: 7 Luck: 6/7 Bag of Obols: 3/5 Shears: 1/2

Seeing my spear get crushed, I simply sigh in defeat.

When we see the sleeping dog, I reach for my shears. "I'm going to need a bigger stick for this," I say, and my life threads appear before me, swirling as if I am in a ball of yarn. I power through the pain as I cut off a sizeable chunk of the threads, and do my best to form the essence into a shield and spear again. When that is over, I reach for another obol and snap it between my fingers. Smoke rises out of the rapidly deteriorating coin, forming new threads that mingle with the ones emanating from my heart. I put the shears away, and the threads disappear again, presumably hidden well out of sight in some ideal, platonic world.

"I think Dom and I could keep the thing at bay in this narrow corridor while somebody else blasts it with spells," I turn to Ysolde. "But I hope the thing can't belch forth fire or something equally ridiculous."

I do my best to identify the beast.

Spout lore: 8

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix

When I see Venner's bad situation, I decide to go on the offensive right here and now, plans be damned. "Dom! With me!" I yell, and I charge down the corridor, shield in front of me and spear at the ready for a good strike. I seem to catch the creature when all its attention is on the hapless thief, and go for a nice jab to its side.

Hack & Slash roll: 11.
Damage: 6

I roar like a lion when I jam it deeply into the beast's flank, and pull it out again without much difficulty. Then, I hold my shield high, and brace to be put on the defensive. Hopefully I can keep its heads or claws at bay with the length of my spear.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix

Acting on reflexes, I do a combat roll to dodge the magma glob that is thrown my way, and try to get closer to Venner.

DD + Dex: 13!

If I get close enough to Venner to do so, I immediately move in to cover him with my shield and draw the monster's attention.

Guarding... Oh. A 5.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix
HP: 19/30 Armor: 3/3 Souls: 7 Luck: 5/7 Bag of Obols: 3/5 Shears: 1/2

Argh, being mauled by that thing seriously hurt! I lie motionless on the floor, trying to come to terms with the mind-numbing pain.

I painfully grunt to Dominik: "Imagine that the keeper of a huge, strong beast... notices what makes it angry... what it desires... how it has to be approached... and... handled..."

Hoping Dom gets lucky and figures out how to calm the beast. Rolled a 7!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix

I grin. "Good fight." I cough a few more times as I struggle to my knees, and repeat: "drat good fight."

There is no honour in striking down a yielding foe. "Let us see what happens now."

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix

I approach the bonfire and ask: "Are you guys seeing this? The world... Seems to blur together."

I drop to my knees, half from exhaustion, half from wanting to pray, and collect my thoughts. "Was this it? We fight our way through my devastated homeland, meet eye to eye with a hellhound... A cerberos? All for a bonfire? What answers does this give? What are the questions we are even supposed to be asking?"

I pound my fist on the floor. "When we see that wax-eyed hag, I'll shake the information out of her. What a sick prank to play."

I sit in silence and watch the bonfire. Its warmth and soft crackling is soothing, and I finally decide, more calmly this time: "Perhaps we should go find this inventor. Let's take five to recover, and we'll be on our way. Venner," I turn to the thief, "do you think you could extract venom and antidote from the severed snake head? Just in case there's more of those beasts out there." I don't like poisoning enemies as a principle, but the rules of life and death have changed in this place.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix
HP: 30/30 Armor: 3/3 Souls: 7 Luck: 5/7 Bag of Obols: 5/5 Shears: 2/2

I reply to Venner: "That's a relief. The philosophers frowned upon using poison. I'm unsure what they would have thought about lava glands. Fire arrows are acceptable, if you absolutely must strike from afar, so I think this is okay, too?"

When I see Ysolde and Odessa work their magic together, I curiously peek over Ysolde's shoulder. "Remarkable," I say. "I hadn't given it a thought when we were in combat, but such arcane feats are reserved for Goldborn. Perhaps you two are unwittingly touched by the gods?" A hint of inadequacy flares up somewhere in the back of my mind, but I suppress it immediately. If fate brought me here, then a Bronzeborn like myself has a part to play in the coming events.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 10, 2016

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix
HP: 30/30 Armor: 3/3 Souls: 27 Luck: 5/7 Bag of Obols: 5/5 Shears: 2/2

"Hold on," I say. "Odessa is right. I doubt we'll find much of use in the sewers. Dom, can you give me a hand? If somebody rolled this stone disc into the tunnel, I bet we can roll it out again."

I try to get a good hold of the slab and see if nudging it any way makes it move. If so, we've found our ticket.

Bending bars, lifting stone discs with a 10!

It seems to work! I might need help and maybe a rope to combine everyone's strength, but I have some hope we can jank it free.

*It doesn’t take a very long time
*Nothing of value is damaged
*You can fix the thing again without a lot of effort

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 16, 2016

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix

slydingdoor posted:

a unique keys given to the nearest high ranking officer sworn to die before turning theirs over to the enemy, or the creator of the cannon, the safety mechanism, and the keys themselves--all the same person.

Agerios, you know the name of this person, they were famous. Tell us who they are.
Soul Bank: 220

The highest ranking officer? That's a long shot. It could have been literally any goldborn defending the temple at the time.

The creator of the cannon, though? There are a few names that come to mind. Heromedes, for one. I remember he invented some sort of massive glass spiral, not dissimilar to a lighthouse, but on land, that evaporated an entire province at noon before shattering from the heat itself and flinging molten glass all over the countryside. (The experiment was a success.)

Euclarchid, could be another possibility? He attempted to harness the power of lightning, but to my knowledge, he never succeeded.

And then, another, less familiar name hits me. I rest my forehead on my fist in thought, and whisper: "Oena... No, that's not- Oenopermedes? Could Oenopermedes have created the defence mechanism of the temple?"

"Oenopermedes was a military engineer, a rather unremarkable one at that. He was famous, not because of his inventions (though experimenting with different kinds of wood and composite bows and applying the same theories to ballistas was innovative) but because of his mysterious disappearance. He was one of the first to disappear when the mist approached the land, about a month or two before I myself was sent in. One day, his family found a letter he left at home, stating he had a duty to protect the Polis and that he had gone to the valley to 'arm it'. He never returned. The word on the street was that he had gone to gather wood for siege engines, or mercenaries of some sorts. Perhaps he wanted to arm the temple? Did he think it could stop the mist or the creatures held within?"

And weeks later, when the mist was about to swallow the Polis and I was one of the few sent in to fight it, crows permanently gathered around Oenopermedes' house. "Do you think the harpies have him now?" I blurt out.

--
After Dominik speaks his mind, I say: "I am ready to throw myself into the fight, rather than backtrack."

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix

Overwhelmed by the sudden action around me, I stand motionless for a few crucial seconds before I snap out of it. I have to pick a target and stick with them. I sprint towards Ysolde, as everyone seems to regroup there.

"Soon, we will be surrounded by these gadflies!" I give the rest a grim smile. "I like that. It means we can attack in any direction we want."

I inhale deeply, then give a shout that I hope matches Dom's saber rattling. Hopefully, the noise and breath will attract some of them to me. And then I move towards Ysolde, so I can start spearing these disgusting critters as they charge me or her, one by one.

Hack & Slash: 10
Damage: A 9.

DD+Con: holding my breath while I step into the dust cloud to fight: An 8.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 8, 2016

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix

"Very well," I say. "Onwards, then. To the Grove."

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix

I, myself, am simply glad to have met somebody or something here that isn't trying to kill me. I'm somewhat suspicious of this all too friendly fellow, but I'm willing to at least humor him for now.
Also, real friendly of him to mention he is drunk and forgetful after asking us to let him watch over our stuff!

Avoiding the question, I say: "I am somewhat surprised to come across a friendly face here. Happy as well, of course. Where are we, exactly? Is there some sort of community in Revel Valley, or did you simply make camp for the night?"

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix

After what Odessa did, I'm convinced these people are, at the very least, poorer fighters than we are. I'm willing to bite the bullet and give Sweep our stuff, provided we keep close to him in case he tries anything fishy. In a worst case scenario, Dom and I could probably shake our equipment out of him again if necessary.

I say to sweep: "Hold on, friend. Forgive us for being a bit on edge. We haven't had the warmest welcome in the mist so far, and we are rather taken aback by a situation that frankly looks too good to be true right now. I'm willing to temporarily part with my equipment, but I would feel more comfortable if you stayed close to us so we could retrieve them if necessary."

EDIT: adding Parley roll, which is a 6. Somebody help me out? :haw:

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 19, 2016

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix

I whisper back to Dom: "Indeed. This place does not put me at ease. But I'd rather avoid it altogether if we can, rather than get sidetracked and have these denizens throw spanners into our works down the line."

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix

I try to read my companions' faces before answering Sweep: "Uh, sure. Do you mind if I wait for my companions to finish whatever they're doing?" I'm not really used to positions of leadership and initiative being thrust upon me, so I'd rather discuss it with my wiser comrades.

I move to Odessa, hoping the rest joins us near her, and talk in a hushed voice: "Okay, I say we agree to the deal. Fortune favors the bold, and we don't have a lot of alternatives but to trust them. We can improvise if it goes wrong."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agerios Lapheusix

I whisper to Dominik: "That bald spectre and moustached human. Do they look suspicious to you, too?"

I try to read the situation as best as I can; looking first at the two approaching strangers, then Lenore and Sergio, and try to draw a connection. "Do they seem to be working together?" I ask Dom.

• Locked thread