Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you choose Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle
I chose you, Bulbasaur
I chose you, Charmander
I chose you, Squirtle
View Results

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Cuckoo posted:

Yeah but then you have to look at Mr. Mime's horrible design for the entire game.

Like who the gently caress decided that a dumbass clown would be a cool thing kids would want

I never fielded a Mr. Mime and I never will. Mewtwo was my psychic lead and I spammed the poo poo out of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Applewhite posted:

I never fielded a Mr. Mime and I never will. Mewtwo was my psychic lead and I spammed the poo poo out of him.

Yeah psychic was loving broken in the RBY games and Mewtwo was broken even by those standards

They literally introduced the Dark type and buffed Fighting just to combat the Psychic menace

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Squirtle supremacy. Charmander kids were idiots and Bulbasaur kids were filthy casuals :colbert:

That said if I were to start up a new game right now I'd use Charmander because Red didn't give you any decent Fire-types until it was almost over (also because I'd be playing FR/LG rather than Gen1 proper and in that version Charmander gets Metal Claw)

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
sweet loving sassy molassy! im voting one!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Pokemon Blue was literally the only game I had for my Gameboy Color so you know I played it again and again as a kid. That said my first/main picks were Squirtle--bitch had guns!--as starter, Dome fossil, Jolteon, Hitmonchan I think, and space shuttles are dope especially if they have a bodycount.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

October Revolution posted:

Now if you were to ask me about Pokemon Silver..... Because I went about as hard as a 7 year old could with that one

Dude silver/gold was out of loving control. Day night cycles, rematches, a decent exp share
Breeding, etc

An entire region with new pokes and new gyms and when you beat it you get to go through gen 1 and steam roll it???

Then you can beat Red at the top of mount silver who had lv80 pokemon

Silver/gold was like a loving fever dream some kid at your school lied about "you get new Pokemon and new bikes and after you beat the game you can go BACK to the entire first generation and you can fight Ash" but it was all true

Gen 2 was magical poo poo.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Dude silver/gold was out of loving control. Day night cycles, rematches, a decent exp share
Breeding, etc

An entire region with new pokes and new gyms and when you beat it you get to go through gen 1 and steam roll it???

Then you can beat Red at the top of mount silver who had lv80 pokemon

Silver/gold was like a loving fever dream some kid at your school lied about "you get new Pokemon and new bikes and after you beat the game you can go BACK to the entire first generation and you can fight Ash" but it was all true

Gen 2 was magical poo poo.

the whole identity of 'im an old guy obsessed with my childhood and i only believe 151 pokemon exist to this day' just means they never had any bucks in their jorts when gen 2 came out, it really was just a direct continuation of the game with some new cool stuff, i think almost all of the additional pokemon were even designed by the same original dudes who didn't have 24/7 coke money yet either and still enjoyed the project

gen 3 however was really lovely in character and map design both, and if you like it or get nostalgic about it grats on being younger than me and living longer, idiots

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Picked Bulbasaur because I wanted solar beam but never got far enough in because even as a kid I thought turn based RPGs were boring as gently caress. Never even made it to the dumb safari.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

extra stout posted:

the whole identity of 'im an old guy obsessed with my childhood and i only believe 151 pokemon exist to this day' just means they never had any bucks in their jorts when gen 2 came out, it really was just a direct continuation of the game with some new cool stuff, i think almost all of the additional pokemon were even designed by the same original dudes who didn't have 24/7 coke money yet either and still enjoyed the project

gen 3 however was really lovely in character and map design both, and if you like it or get nostalgic about it grats on being younger than me and living longer, idiots

I'm still disappointed they haven't ever done that again. Gen 3 map sucked with way too much loving water features and I stubbornly refused to believe they didn't load gen 2 and gen 1 regions into the game until the bitter end. Gen 3 was game boy advance wasn't it??

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:

cool anime gif!

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

anime-ted gif

LOLOLOLOL

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Ocean Book posted:

i used strength on the pickup truck by ss anne and got a mew :cool:

http://i.imgur.com/QQzWvgz.gifv

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

so it can b Done?

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Cuckoo posted:

Yeah but then you have to look at Mr. Mime's horrible design for the entire game.

Like who the gently caress decided that a dumbass clown would be a cool thing kids would want

The only shiny Pokemon I've ever encountered other than the red gyarados in g/s was a Mr. Mime, I lolled a lot when I saw it thinking you have to be loving kidding

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

Mr Mime was hot man

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Cuckoo posted:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I'm still disappointed they haven't ever done that again. Gen 3 map sucked with way too much loving water features and I stubbornly refused to believe they didn't load gen 2 and gen 1 regions into the game until the bitter end. Gen 3 was game boy advance wasn't it??

yeh it was the first and only gen on the gba, which is sad because the gba loving owned but bad decisions don't, also the remakes of gold silver already sell for more than they did new, so the world knows we're right

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

gently caress da Mods posted:

Mr Mime was hot man

:agreed:

coming out as a fairy is such a tease

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

no, if i remember correctly, they broke the poo poo out of the game beforehand to actually get the age-old trick to work, because AGDQ has poo poo like that. you literally write assembly code with Koopa shells and two controllers to beat Super Mario World in ~6 minutes.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
bulbasaur is for retards
charmander is for faggots (flaming get it lol)
squirlte is cool cause he makes al the ladies squirt :grin:

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I used to play it on my snes with that gameboy cartridge all the time. My dumb rear end sister had a habit of deleting my save file and making her own so it took me about a year to get to the elite four. :(

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
It's prett hosed up they had a gameboy emulator cart for the snes and GameCube but not the n64

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Why would anyone choose a Pokémon that wasn't Bulbasaur? That's just ludicrous!

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

Why would anyone choose a Pokémon that wasn't Bulbasaur? That's just ludicrous!

cuz they love the bulb

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Applewhite posted:

I had a Kadabra that I used to take down the entire Sliph tower. In the end it was like 20 levels higher than my other pokemon, and none of my friends would battle me because of that. I was probably 18 at that time.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I played the original red on an emulator, and the emulated save didn't work. I didn't think anything of it and just used the emulator savestates, until I beat the elite four and realized that it needed to be able to load an emulated save or something to continue after the credits. I didn't have any emulator savestates from before I started fighting the elite four, and you can't save while you're in the gym fighting them. I couldn't even get mewtwo, it sucked

thanks I googled it

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I researched it and read that Grass Pokemans were the best to start with so I picked Bulbasur even though I secretly hated him and always wished id picked Charmander cos he is a loving DRAGON that can shoot FIRE....Bulbasur was some mutant plant thing that can throw leaves.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Iron Crowned posted:

I had a Kadabra that I used to take down the entire Sliph tower. In the end it was like 20 levels higher than my other pokemon, and none of my friends would battle me because of that. I was probably 18 at that time.

Kadabra looked really cool but I never wanted to evolve it into Alakazam because Alakazam looked like poo poo

Haunter looked way better than Gengar too

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Nooner posted:

bulbasaur is for retards
charmander is for faggots (flaming get it lol)
squirlte is cool cause he makes al the ladies squirt :grin:

I didn't know squirtle was into golden showers

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cuckoo posted:

Kadabra looked really cool but I never wanted to evolve it into Alakazam because Alakazam looked like poo poo

Haunter looked way better than Gengar too

I would have preferred to have a badass Abra because they looked better, too bad all they could do was teleport :sigh:

Jigglypuff is still my favorite, teach that fucker Seismic Toss and Metronome :kimchi:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

spud posted:

I researched it and read that Grass Pokemans were the best to start with so I picked Bulbasur even though I secretly hated him and always wished id picked Charmander cos he is a loving DRAGON that can shoot FIRE....Bulbasur was some mutant plant thing that can throw leaves.

bulbasaur is a weird dog dumbass

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I've always thought Bulbasaur is really dumb and looks stupid and anyone who picks Bulbasaur is an idiot

First Google image result for "venusaur":

What is this, this looks dumb. Who needs a flower dinosaur thing? Nobody.

"Blastoise":

Badass motherfucker, deal with it

Charizard is okay I guess, but he's just a pretty normal-looking dragon with a fiery tail. Instead here we have CANNON TURTLE

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

HJE-Cobra posted:

"Blastoise":

Badass motherfucker, deal with it

Charizard is okay I guess, but he's just a pretty normal-looking dragon with a fiery tail. Instead here we have CANNON TURTLE

Lol he looks like he wants someone to gently caress him in the rear end hahaha

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

Jukeboxblues posted:

he's a power botttom waitin for charizare to poz his neg asss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Jukeboxblues posted:

Who doesn't :q:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
They should have ghost fighting psychic starters or something idk wtf

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Gastly, Abra, Jigglytuff

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Lotta butthurt squirtle-lovers itt who are mad that nobody chose a lame-rear end drooling turtle instead of a cool sarcastic hybrid plant-dinosaur monster. :cool:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Lotta butthurt squirtle-lovers itt who are mad that nobody chose a lame-rear end drooling turtle instead of a cool sarcastic hybrid plant-dinosaur monster. :cool:

ITT people rationalize their inexplicable affection for a weird purple onion frog that eventually grows into a weird purple flower frog by projecting personality traits onto it even though it never speaks

e: every lame 5-year-old little sister who ever deleted a save-file to make a new one where they farted around Pallet Town for twenty minutes and then stopped playing forever picked Bulbasaur; every overcompensating dorky 7-year-old boy who ever threw a gameboy at a wall because they couldn't beat Brock picked Charmander

loquacius fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

im a squirter

• Locked thread