Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Here are Big Dave's lowest rated matches of all time: http://www.profightdb.com/worst-rated-matches.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Rodney the Piper posted:

Here are Big Dave's lowest rated matches of all time: http://www.profightdb.com/worst-rated-matches.html

It's always weird seeing Hulk and Andre at Mania 3 rated so low. I guess it's legend sort of permeates everything now because as I recall, yeah it was a pretty boring match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OldTennisCourt posted:

It's always weird seeing Hulk and Andre at Mania 3 rated so low. I guess it's legend sort of permeates everything now because as I recall, yeah it was a pretty boring match.

He also revised his rating the next week to something like half a star.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

MassRafTer posted:

He also revised his rating the next week to something like half a star.

The best of these is when Bryan and Vinny rewatched Hogan v Warrior at halloween havoc. Back in 98 it was a MINUS FIVE STAR match but ten years later it was upgraded to "dud". In their own words "it had gained five stars in a decade to be merely awful".

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
A question and a nomination

Should Sting and Jeff Hardy at Victory Road 11 count as a match considering what it really was? I feel like it kinda straddles the line as it lasts less than 2 minutes and it's very obvious Jeff was in no condition to perform and they just end it after 2 moves.

I'd also like someone to do a write up of that Steiner and HHH match from the Royal Rumble, the culmination of their weird feud.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Hardy vs. Sting counts, it was a match.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

No match exists in a bubble. The circumstances surrounding it, whether it be story or one wrestler being an unprofessional poo poo working for a company that is complete garbage, factor into things.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Great White Hope posted:

No match exists in a bubble. The circumstances surrounding it, whether it be story or one wrestler being an unprofessional poo poo working for a company that is complete garbage, factor into things.

Thiz theory im not sure i agree with - Cena v Punk mitb hasnt aged well and im a huge Punk mark. On the other hand Joe v Punk 2 has.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I submit for your approval, one of the worst matches ever on paper:

Koji Kitao and special guest El Gigante vs. Typhoon and Shinja (Akio Sato) (WAR)

For those unfamiliar, Koji Kitao was a gigantic ex-sumo wrestler who could do some impressive kicks and power moves, but was extremely uncooperative, poo poo at calling and planning matches, great at backstage politics, and very quick to expend all of his cardio. El Gigante is... El Gigante, and this is his last match ever, and he's clearly in pain.

The match is mercifully clipped to pieces for the commercial release, and they were wise enough to not involve El Gigante until the very end. Kitao tags in Gigante, Gigante prepares to step over the top ropes, and Shinja runs up from behind to kick Gigante in the legs. There's a horrifyingly sluggish exchange mostly consisting of Gigante sitting on the ring apron and getting chairshotted in the legs before kicking Shinja off, the referee counting the entire time.
Whether planned this way or not, Gigante clearly can't climb into the ring and is counted out, the match ends, and we all end up poorer for it.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Lid posted:

Thiz theory im not sure i agree with - Cena v Punk mitb hasnt aged well and im a huge Punk mark. On the other hand Joe v Punk 2 has.

Cena/Punk was a meaningless match on a meaningless show on the road to Triple H vs. Kevin Nash. That probably has a big role in how it's looked at in hindsight.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

LvK posted:

I submit for your approval, one of the worst matches ever on paper:

Koji Kitao and special guest El Gigante vs. Typhoon and Shinja (Akio Sato) (WAR)

For those unfamiliar, Koji Kitao was a gigantic ex-sumo wrestler who could do some impressive kicks and power moves, but was extremely uncooperative, poo poo at calling and planning matches, great at backstage politics, and very quick to expend all of his cardio. El Gigante is... El Gigante, and this is his last match ever, and he's clearly in pain.

The match is mercifully clipped to pieces for the commercial release, and they were wise enough to not involve El Gigante until the very end. Kitao tags in Gigante, Gigante prepares to step over the top ropes, and Shinja runs up from behind to kick Gigante in the legs. There's a horrifyingly sluggish exchange mostly consisting of Gigante sitting on the ring apron and getting chairshotted in the legs before kicking Shinja off, the referee counting the entire time.
Whether planned this way or not, Gigante clearly can't climb into the ring and is counted out, the match ends, and we all end up poorer for it.

If it's at all possible, I'd like if we could have more posts like this one instead of just a Youtube link. Don't want to be a jerk about it, but it'd be cool for more background and info on matches or maybe a description of them.

Thanks!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Global Wrestling Federation out of Dallas had a match between Chaz and Steven Dane in what they called a Bungee Cord Match.

The match was held inside a shark cage suspended by a crane and both guys had a bungee cord tied around their waist. The winner was the last man in the cage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZiTbU5JTUk

How about a shark cage match where the winner was the first to escape? And the door kept opening? And they had to fight to not tumble out before the match was over?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVaTRP0-ud0

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Speaking of Kitao...

Al Snow vs. Ishinriki (Kitao Dojo)
Kitao Dojo was Koji Kitao's short-lived shoot-style (worked MMA, more or less) vanity promotion. The cards were surprisingly fun, consisting of mostly random American indies guys (seriously, most of them don't have cagematch pages) and WAR midcarders (who were, in turn, mostly old AJPW and NJPW midcarders) vs. Kitao's crop of random karate dudes.

Al Snow was clearly uncomfortable with the style being worked. Ishinriki was a former sumo wrestler who had even less of a grasp on shoot-style. Almost the entire match was Al Snow holding in an armbar and trying to make it look convincing while Ishinriki sat around in an armbar, not defending or moving, screaming and kicking his legs and pounding the mat. Just like 10 minutes of that, with a cool tackle from Ishinriki to keep things "moving."

Submissions are generally an instant or near-instant match-ender in shoot style, so Ishinriki was probably very confused when he locked in a hold on Al Snow and Snow tapped out immediately.

bonus awkward young Al Snow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edr7O1AWy3E

and speaking of El Gigante, New Japan Pro Wrestling decided that the opening card of the 1994 G-1 Climax should have, as a special non-tournament match,
El Gigante vs. Nailz

I don't have this match. But I know where to get it. I just haven't been able to bring myself to do it.
Neither one was with NJPW at the time, though they ended up sticking around, just NJPW decided, for whatever reason, to bring in the two most worthless WWF rejects they could find.

Yeah, let's see you complain about gimmicky multi-man clusterfucks in the G1 undercard NOW.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
There was a junior match during the IWA King of the Deathmatch 1995 that I remember being awful. It looks like it was Kamikaze vs Iceman. I can't remember anything about it really besides thinking it was awful.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Why was that Steiner/HHH match so garbage? Did Steiner just not want to work with WWE but they were really the only big game in town at that point so he just took the money?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

And it's even debatable as to whether that was the worst match in that show.

Not really. The spectacle and the utter shittiness outpace Parker vs Madusa or DDP vs Booty Man.

The former was short. The latter spent too much time pandering to the crowd and was merely boring.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
If you're looking for the very "best" of lovely matches, /wooo/ has the Disasterpiece Theatre which highlights a lot of the more infamous matches ranging from "outright terrible" to "technically good but the booking was poo poo".

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

The_Master posted:

Undertaker and Kane wrestled Kronic back when the Invasion was still going on. I haven't seen it in over 10 years, but it was apparantly utter dogshit to the extent that I can still remember it now. I distinctly recall two things. First, one of Kronic taking the worst whip into the outside ring post I've ever loving seen, by slowly walking toward it and headbutting the air half a metre away from the post. And two, the Undertaker breaking character halfway through and throwing a huge tantrum, including audibly swearing, because of how poo poo Kronic were.

Kronic were never seen again.

This might be Unforgiven '01. I was there.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

Why was that Steiner/HHH match so garbage? Did Steiner just not want to work with WWE but they were really the only big game in town at that point so he just took the money?

IIRC both Steiner and HHH were injured, or at least wrestling like they were.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

The_Master posted:

Undertaker and Kane wrestled Kronic back when the Invasion was still going on. I haven't seen it in over 10 years, but it was apparantly utter dogshit to the extent that I can still remember it now. I distinctly recall two things. First, one of Kronic taking the worst whip into the outside ring post I've ever loving seen, by slowly walking toward it and headbutting the air half a metre away from the post. And two, the Undertaker breaking character halfway through and throwing a huge tantrum, including audibly swearing, because of how poo poo Kronic were.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5pahk_wwf-undertaker-kane-vs-kronik-unfor_sport?start=614

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

My brain's exaggerated it a bit over the years, the walk into the ringpost isn't quite as bad as I remember. The Undertaker's tantrum, however, is. It's at 14:00 to 14:20 in that video.

On review, It's not the worst match I've ever seen, although there are a few spots where Kronik legitimately look like they don't know how to wrestle. I mean there's a few spots where they look like they've never used human bodies before. It did apparently get both of them fired after one match though, so that's got to go in it's favour as far as this thread goes.

CityMidnightJunky fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 25, 2016

servo106
Apr 26, 2006

My go to worst match of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bejnNmCLXqU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ayn rand hand job posted:

Not really. The spectacle and the utter shittiness outpace Parker vs Madusa or DDP vs Booty Man.

The former was short. The latter spent too much time pandering to the crowd and was merely boring.

But you're leaving out the tag match, which, given the participants, SHOULD have been good but no.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

But you're leaving out the tag match, which, given the participants, SHOULD have been good but no.

It was was a serviceable match. Should have been better, sure. That doesn't come close to the monstrosity of a main event.

Please try to explain me the rules of the triple cage match and how a team was supposed to win.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The_Master posted:

This is a poo poo match but it's probably not even the worst Bikertaker match.

Also I assume Stevie Richards lasted nine loving years of being a jobber in that company because he was friends with somebody. I know that's how Funaki made it so long.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

Benne posted:

This match at least has a notable postscript. Dustin got fired for blading, went to WWF and developed the Goldust character, so it's kinda fun to think about how different the mid-to-late 90s would've been if he stuck around WCW.

Actually Dustin and Barry Darsow were fired for blading!

Darsow went to the indies, then came back to WCW years later as Mr. Hole-in-One Barry Darsow, and jobbed on Saturday Mornings.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

This is a poo poo match but it's probably not even the worst Bikertaker match.

Also I assume Stevie Richards lasted nine loving years of being a jobber in that company because he was friends with somebody. I know that's how Funaki made it so long.

That and Funaki was a pretty good jobber who people liked and could bump his rear end off.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Am I wrong in remembering Funaki was a locker room supplier?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Possible, I suppose. He was on the list of wrestlers using banned substances by Sports Illustrated in the mid 2000s.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
HOW did this thread go this long without this??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsPBzNG-M0E

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

dsriggs posted:

HOW did this thread go this long without this??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsPBzNG-M0E

Just to go into more detail here:

Villanos vs. Psycho Circus, AAA TripleMania 2015

--The Villanos are in their 60s at this point, one of which is a literal stroke victim. You knew this match was trouble the moment AAA booked it.

--It's everything you'd expect from a bunch of old dudes who can't move --slow brawling, slow punches, slow everything.

--The production values are a disaster. This was AAA's big attempt at breaking into the US market with an English-language PPV, but the audio constantly cuts out. You can't hear the crowd, can't hear the action in the ring, and can't even hear the announcers half the time.

--Speaking of the announcers, when Matt Striker does talk, you wish he'd cut out again. This match was him in Peak Striker form; during a horrible brawl with the slowest, most fake-looking punches you will ever see, Striker blurts out "THERE'S NO SLAPPING OF THE THIGHS HERE" as if we're supposed to believe it's real. Earlier, he tries to sell the audio problems as a positive, saying this is what makes live TV special instead of making your show look like loving amateur hour.

The whole thing is a tire fire and got the deserved MINUS FIVE STARS from Meltzer. It's the first time he handed out that rating since Bushwhackers/Volkoff/Sheik at Heroes of Wrestling.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Benne posted:

Just to go into more detail here:

Villanos vs. Psycho Circus, AAA TripleMania 2015

--The Villanos are in their 60s at this point, one of which is a literal stroke victim. You knew this match was trouble the moment AAA booked it.

--It's everything you'd expect from a bunch of old dudes who can't move --slow brawling, slow punches, slow everything.

--The production values are a disaster. This was AAA's big attempt at breaking into the US market with an English-language PPV, but the audio constantly cuts out. You can't hear the crowd, can't hear the action in the ring, and can't even hear the announcers half the time.

--Speaking of the announcers, when Matt Striker does talk, you wish he'd cut out again. This match was him in Peak Striker form; during a horrible brawl with the slowest, most fake-looking punches you will ever see, Striker blurts out "THERE'S NO SLAPPING OF THE THIGHS HERE" as if we're supposed to believe it's real. Earlier, he tries to sell the audio problems as a positive, saying this is what makes live TV special instead of making your show look like loving amateur hour.

The whole thing is a tire fire and got the deserved MINUS FIVE STARS from Meltzer. It's the first time he handed out that rating since Bushwhackers/Volkoff/Sheik at Heroes of Wrestling.

As bad as Striker is, Hugo Savinovich is incredibly annoying and shrill too.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

King of Trios 2009 - Day 1
Main Event
The Cold Front 2.0 vs. The UnStable

The Cold Front was initially supposed to be a wacky team of Al Snow, Iceberg & Glacier. Iceberg couldn't make it and was replaced with D'Lo Brown.
The UnStable was some wacky heel CHIKARA group featuring Colin Delnaey, STIGMA & Vin Gerard.

Look, I'm not gonna pretend I know a ton about CHIKARA and give you the full story. What I do know is the UnStable was a less than a year old stable that was expected to go pretty far.

Match in a nutshell seemed like it could be a goofy 10 minute match where the new heel group goes over. Cool.

Instead this match is given the Main Event slot of Night 1 and goes nearly 30 minutes bell to bell.

It's a loving chore to watch. It's boring as hell. It's slow. Al Snow sucks. The entire UnStable isn't very good.

gently caress this match. It's garbage. I stopped watching the company altogether after sitting through it.

Al Snow sucks.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

this isn't the first time i've read this but i dont remember where or what the source was

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

HulkaMatt posted:

Main Event

The Cold Front was initially supposed to be a wacky team of Al Snow, Iceberg & Glacier. Iceberg couldn't make it and was replaced with D'Lo Brown.
The UnStable was some wacky heel CHIKARA group featuring Colin Delnaey, STIGMA & Vin Gerard.

Look, I'm not gonna pretend I know a ton about CHIKARA and give you the full story. What I do know is the UnStable was a less than a year old stable that was expected to go pretty far.

Match in a nutshell seemed like it could be a goofy 10 minute match where the new heel group goes over. Cool.

Instead this match is given the Main Event slot of Night 1 and goes nearly 30 minutes bell to bell.

It's a loving chore to watch. It's boring as hell. It's slow. Al Snow sucks. The entire UnStable isn't very good.

gently caress this match. It's garbage. I stopped watching the company altogether after sitting through it.

Al Snow sucks.

Glacier was still wrestling in 2009? :psyduck:

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

Benne posted:

chill

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Benne posted:

He had a booking this past weekend no less.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Unforgiven 1999

Al Snow Vs. Big Boss Man

THE KENNEL FROM HELL MATCH

This match took place during Boss Man's Attitude Era run which could be described as the single most insane heel run of any WWE character in history. Boss Man was literally pure evil and did poo poo that was beyond anything any heel will do or has done. This was most notable for his Big Show feud which will probably be covered later in the thread, a feud that started purely because Boss Man thought to mock a man's father for dying of cancer.

The lead up to this was Boss Man kidnapping Al Snow's dog and KILLING IT AND FEEDING IT TO AL. I contend that there has never been a heel act more monstrous in the history of this company.

This leads up to this loving match. We have a blue cage surrounding the ring and a Hell in a Cell covering that. Oh and there were RABID DOGS around the ring. And by rabid we mean dogs that look confused and happy as hell to be there. Dogs are pissing everywhere, camera man are being barked at and nuzzled. JR pulls out the bowling shoes remark aka "Sorry this match sucks rear end guys!"

What is really just a lovely hardcore match is intensified by shots of these RABID DOGS looking happy as clams, one shot shows it with a clear happy look on it's face while Jerry acts like they're about to tear Al's legs off.

The match itself is just garbage hardcore match #432453. Boss Man uses a shovel and gently taps Snow with it. Snow throws white powder and Boss Man who sells like he was hit with a cannon. A gentle reminder that this match was because Boss Man loving killed Snow's dog and fed it to him. How the hell is there so little emotion in this match?

The match ends with JR saying "WELP FOLKS WE'VE SEEN THE FIRST...........AND MAYBE THE LAST KENNEL FROM HELL MATCH!"

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

HulkaMatt posted:

Main Event

Al Snow sucks.

Is that the match where al snow does a standing hot tag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Benne posted:

Yeah, back in the 2008 tournament they did this bit where the team Los Ice Creams didn't have a third partner so they kept picking names out of a hat. Names of people who obviously weren't going to be there (ie. "Ice Man" King Parson). After some "no shows," they mentioned Glacier, which seemed like a fakeout, but then he showed up after all in full armor. The crowd ate it up and it made sense that in the year after, there would be a Glacier-based team to follow on that.

HulkaMatt posted:

Main Event

Al Snow sucks.

See, there's one thing HulkaMatt is completely underselling. In 2009, Chikara went all out on King of Trios. They tend to bring in a handful of interesting names every year, but this time they went and brought in a kind of crazy roster. Bryan Danielson, Johnny Saint, Kota Ibushi, Austin Aries, Young Bucks, El Generico, Necro Butcher and so on. The core Chikara roster was really great at the time too and there were some entertaining semi-regulars in there like Da Soul Touchaz and the F1rst Family. They even had a young Simon Gotch mixed in there.

Having guys like Glacier and Al Snow show up with added D'Lo Brown sounded like a fun novelty, sure. The UnStable were the worst Chikara team involved, but they were all at least passable (especially Gerard, who was part of the company's best match in 2008). So why they decided to put two of the worst teams in the tournament against each other as the main event of a show overflowing with talent and give them nearly a half hour is beyond me outside of TV star power.

It really does all come down to Snow, though. D'Lo was okay and Glacier was Glacier, but they both looked like they wanted to be there. Snow sleepwalked through the whole thing and it was just sad. The part that sticks out the most is Snow doing a standing hot tag. He couldn't put forth the effort of crawling or anything. He just stood a foot away from his partners, wobbled around and then did the dramatic tag.

Surprisingly, he was never invited back.

• Locked thread