Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Alain Post posted:

Al Snow was supposedly good in SMW and IMO he wasn't bad in the Bodydonnas. But yeah he fell off a cliff after that.

Al Snow was in the Bodydonnas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The PWI magazines used to hype the hell out of Snow in the mid-90s. I'm not sure if he was an Internet darling at that point. The fist time I saw him wrestle was against Skip at a Superstars taping. It was a pretty good match, but I don't believe it ever aired on TV. He was doing the Avatar gimmick at that point. I marked out for him because I recognized him from my magazines.

Later that week, I saw his Raw debut against some jobber. It's a terrible squash, and it had tons of blown spots. I thought he was okay in the Leif Cassidy gimmick, but he was mostly doing tags at that point so his weaknesses weren't exposed. I've never been too impressed with him as a worker since then. His offense is really sloppy, and his selling isn't all that great. He had a decent hardcore match with the Road Dogg once, but I can't think of anything else he did that was too great. He really overachieved in the long run.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Goog posted:

Al Snow was in the Bodydonnas?

Oh goddamnnit I'm mixing him up with Candido

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Snow was Leif Cassidy in the 'New Rockers' with Jannetty. I think they had a few matches with the BodyDonnas at least.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
If you're going to poo poo on Al Snow, at least poo poo on Al Snow's worst ideas.

Like Too Cool vs. Al Snow & Head. How do you pin Head if Head has no shoulders?

This is how.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I remember liking Headcheese but I liked everything when I first started watching wrestling. My go to finisher for CAWs in the first two smackdown games was the Snowplow cause I thought it was rad. I guess those are my most positive memories of Al Snow looking back

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Al Snow had a really good match with Chris Benoit in ECW:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xor82c_chris-benoit-vs-al-snow_sport

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

britishbornandbread posted:

You are probably right, but I am halfway through watching WM2000 for the first time on the network and the battle royale is truly awful. You have spots taking place all over the place around the outside of the ring that no one except the people in good seats can see and the production truck can barely keep up with the action. The concept doesn't really work, even in kayfabe, as why would anyone want to win early put a bullseye on their back?

Not the worst ever, but a bit of a train wreck.

Not to mention at the end of the match while everybody should by trying like hell to pin the champion all of the jobbers are just on the outside of the ring beating the poo poo out of each other.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

OldTennisCourt posted:

but he never got the push he deserved to get.

what kind of push did taz deserve

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

what kind of push did taz deserve

something that wasn't fighting Jerry Lawler and getting his rear end kicked all the time

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Al Snow had the rep of being the "best Wrestler you've never seen" for about decade. Why he is the way he is now is that he felt he wasted a lot of time being an indie darling rather than becoming the character Wrestler he eventually became.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

Al Snow had a really good match with Chris Benoit in ECW:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xor82c_chris-benoit-vs-al-snow_sport

I haven't watched this match in years but I thought this was disappointing. Maybe it's worth a rewatch?

Al Snow may not be good in the ring but I really enjoyed all of the Al Snow jokes in Foley's books.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

The PWI magazines used to hype the hell out of Snow in the mid-90s.

This would normally be a sign that a guy got on with or was friends with Apter, with Snow not so much. Snow is and always has been a colossal dickhead, and used to bully the poo poo out of Apter. The feeling always was that Apter wanted to be liked by the boys (as opposed to Meltzer who couldn't have given less of a gently caress in most cases) and so the more stick that Snow gave him the more he tried to showcase him.

The thing is with Snow, it was never his fault, it was always someone elses that he didn't get over or didn't have the career he thought he should have. He is the main that self awareness forgot.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

mariooncrack posted:

I haven't watched this match in years but I thought this was disappointing. Maybe it's worth a rewatch?

Al Snow may not be good in the ring but I really enjoyed all of the Al Snow jokes in Foley's books.

It's good but not great. Although I love Benoit poo poo-talking the U.S when he's working over Snow, "Is this the best the United States has to offer?!?!?"

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Al Snow is the Ed Leslie to Mick Foley's Hulk Hogan.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Skinty McEdger posted:

This would normally be a sign that a guy got on with or was friends with Apter, with Snow not so much. Snow is and always has been a colossal dickhead, and used to bully the poo poo out of Apter. The feeling always was that Apter wanted to be liked by the boys (as opposed to Meltzer who couldn't have given less of a gently caress in most cases) and so the more stick that Snow gave him the more he tried to showcase him.

The thing is with Snow, it was never his fault, it was always someone elses that he didn't get over or didn't have the career he thought he should have. He is the main that self awareness forgot.

Not disputing anything else in this post, just wanted to say that before Snow debuted with WWF, Meltzer spoke highly of his talents and featured regular reports of Snow having matches in the *** or **** range. Few, if none, of those ratings were Dave's pure grade snowflakes though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Well, obviously Snow either got injured or decided he was done busting his rear end.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OldTennisCourt posted:

something that wasn't fighting Jerry Lawler and getting his rear end kicked all the time

You are right, Lawler deserved better. Tazz should have just been a jobber.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

Al Snow is the Ed Leslie to Mick Foley's Hulk Hogan.

Lol at the idea that Mick Foley would ever put in effort to support Al loving Snow. When Mick Foley, the nicest man in wrestling, bullies and humiliates you completely for years in print and on air there's probably something you did to deserve it, regardless of how Foley sugarcoats it

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Lol at the idea that Mick Foley would ever put in effort to support Al loving Snow. When Mick Foley, the nicest man in wrestling, bullies and humiliates you completely for years in print and on air there's probably something you did to deserve it, regardless of how Foley sugarcoats it
They're friends you dope.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Benne posted:

Just to go into more detail here:

Villanos vs. Psycho Circus, AAA TripleMania 2015

--The Villanos are in their 60s at this point, one of which is a literal stroke victim. You knew this match was trouble the moment AAA booked it.
--It's everything you'd expect from a bunch of old dudes who can't move --slow brawling, slow punches, slow everything.
--The production values are a disaster. This was AAA's big attempt at breaking into the US market with an English-language PPV, but the audio constantly cuts out. You can't hear the crowd, can't hear the action in the ring, and can't even hear the announcers half the time.
--Speaking of the announcers, when Matt Striker does talk, you wish he'd cut out again. This match was him in Peak Striker form; during a horrible brawl with the slowest, most fake-looking punches you will ever see, Striker blurts out "THERE'S NO SLAPPING OF THE THIGHS HERE" as if we're supposed to believe it's real. Earlier, he tries to sell the audio problems as a positive, saying this is what makes live TV special instead of making your show look like loving amateur hour.

The whole thing is a tire fire and got the deserved MINUS FIVE STARS from Meltzer. It's the first time he handed out that rating since Bushwhackers/Volkoff/Sheik at Heroes of Wrestling.
You forgot to mention the part where one of the Psychos goes to pin Villano III (I think?), he doesn't try to kick out, and so he just releases the pin, because he legit didn't want to pin the venerable Villano III in his last match ever. I don't think this was the only time when these supposedly evil heels just didn't go for a move or let the Villanos out of something. They didn't need Striker's help exposing the business, that's for sure.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RealFoxy posted:

They're friends you dope.

I sincerely doubt they've even talked once the past 15 years unless it was business related. They were wrestling "friends" and Foley talked about their huge falling out after all the Snow mocking in the first book in his second book, which I'm sure went over just as smoothly since it made Al look like a huge sensitive weiner

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

You forgot to mention the part where one of the Psychos goes to pin Villano III (I think?), he doesn't try to kick out, and so he just releases the pin, because he legit didn't want to pin the venerable Villano III in his last match ever. I don't think this was the only time when these supposedly evil heels just didn't go for a move or let the Villanos out of something. They didn't need Striker's help exposing the business, that's for sure.

The psycho circus are beloved tecnicos in AAA

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I sincerely doubt they've even talked once the past 15 years unless it was business related. They were wrestling "friends" and Foley talked about their huge falling out after all the Snow mocking in the first book in his second book, which I'm sure went over just as smoothly since it made Al look like a huge sensitive weiner
theres pictures of them recently at Disney world what the gently caress are you smoking

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I thought Al Snow was funny as a child but now as an adult I realize how disturbing it was that he'd carry around a severed woman's head and say, "what does everybody love?" With the crowd yelling, "head!" It's necrophilic, objectifying, and deeply misogynistic all at the same time.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Strawberry Panda posted:

It's necrophilic, objectifying, and deeply misogynistic all at the same time.

same

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
Rhino vs AJ Styles in a Elevation X match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C652x7YmKB4

Rhino.

AJ Styles.

In a scaffold match where the scaffold appears to be on the brink of falling apart.

Both wrestlers spend twelve minutes trying not to die.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I don't think I've ever seen a scaffold match that wasn't loving unwatchable. Why didn't that gimmick die after the first time they tried it?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The electric cage match deserves special mention as well, that poo poo was hokey by 80's standards.

Benne posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a scaffold match that wasn't loving unwatchable. Why didn't that gimmick die after the first time they tried it?

It's probably because it has a mystique of "oh poo poo this is dangerous and cool!" over it despite it being dogshit.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Benne posted:

People like watching crazy/stupid bumps. The majority of modern ladder matches are just an evolution of the scaffold match, except reversed. You take a bunch of stupid bumps to build to something that isn't a stupid bump, whereas a scaffold match is a bunch of build to a stupid bump.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

It drew a couple times in the 70s so it had the allure of success.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Okay here's one, what's the worst Rumble? I mentioned before 2012 where the roster was super thin, but would 2014 be a contender?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

FunMerrania posted:

Rhino vs AJ Styles in a Elevation X match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C652x7YmKB4

It's especially stupid because they came up with a genuinely good original gimmick match in Ultimate X and decided against using it so they could build a lovely scaffold.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RealFoxy posted:

theres pictures of them recently at Disney world what the gently caress are you smoking

I guess my fantasy booking of how mick foley should treat al snow never really played out

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

OldTennisCourt posted:

Okay here's one, what's the worst Rumble? I mentioned before 2012 where the roster was super thin, but would 2014 be a contender?

99 was pretty terrible.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

OldTennisCourt posted:

I don't think so. 95, 99, and 06 to me are the three worst.

1999 is worst because of Russoriffic bullshit. The Rumble itself is mere window dressing to Austin and McMahon brawling.

1995 is terrible because everyone gets in the ring too quickly and fills it up, leading to log jams and a 30 minute match.

2006 is bad because it's the first year Pat Patterson didn't book it in addition to having tiny, petty little politics. The pacing is horrible and you have Rey Mysterio go bell to bell...only it for some reason doesn't really count as such because HHH was #1.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
The first two Rumbles (the 20-man and the first PPV) aren't bad, just clearly the WWF trying to work out a new concept. 89 in particular dies a quick death once Hogan is eliminated.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Benne posted:

there's basically only one good scaffold match

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3lial_tommy-dreamer-vs-brian-lee-scaffold_news

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

IT'S HIIIIGH INCIDENT!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The mention of Rhyno reminds me of a match I never saw, but read about. It was a house show where they had Rhyno vs. Tajiri from the end points of their WWE runs when neither seemed to give much of a poo poo anymore. The match was so bad and dull that Vince himself walked out and told them to stop and go to the back.

• Locked thread