Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to win the Super Bowl
This poll is closed.
Manning 128 17.85%
Newton 384 53.56%
Meteor 83 11.58%
*snort* ahem, I won't be partaking in your SUPERB OWL, i will be watchin league and esports instead *snort* 122 17.02%
Total: 572 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That's only possible during election years. Giants blew their chance.

And yes, Brady was the Patriot's leading rusher today. With 13 yards.

Things change with new head coach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Losing dion Lewis was a major blow that may have saved us all from another pats SB appearance

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

three posted:

NE coaching staff blew the game. It's just stupid to not even try to have a run game when you're playing one of the best pass rushing teams in the league.

They tried

They failed

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

three posted:

NE coaching staff blew the game. It's just stupid to not even try to have a run game when you're playing one of the best pass rushing teams in the league.

They were mashing the ball on the ground as much as they could but it was completely unsuccessful. I'm sure they had a run or two over five yards that wasn't a Brady keeper, but I don't remember it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Not sure what play NE could run that could magically stop their o-line from getting violently owned in every facet of the game.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Sharzak posted:

They were mashing the ball on the ground as much as they could but it was completely unsuccessful. I'm sure they had a run or two over five yards that wasn't a Brady keeper, but I don't remember it.

I think they had one but it might have been called back due to a holding call or something.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

So yeah go Panthers

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

Not sure what play NE could run that could magically stop their o-line from getting violently owned in every facet of the game.

Da bomb

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm not sure Manning is going to survive the whole game is Carolina gets the same amount of pressure.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Let me sum the game up. The o-line sucked at an historical level and the safety valves in the passing game that would normally allow Brady to get rid of the ball in under 2 seconds weren't getting open fast enough to come close to compensating for it. Ball game.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Intruder posted:

So yeah go Panthers

Is that a baseball next to your name? Do mods now get custom icons for the forums they mod? What does the anime mod get?

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Sharzak posted:

Just didn't seem like a real part of their game plan to me, and minimal commitment. Seemed solely tacked on to try to mix it up a little bit. Just my hot take.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

three posted:

Just didn't seem like a real part of their game plan to me, and minimal commitment. Seemed solely tacked on to try to mix it up a little bit. Just my hot take.

It might have worked if both of our starting RBs weren't on IR.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Let me sum the game up. The o-line sucked at an historical level and the safety valves in the passing game that would normally allow Brady to get rid of the ball in under 2 seconds weren't getting open fast enough to come close to compensating for it. Ball game.

Shoulda kicked some field goals on the 4th down plays. Then it would have been perfect for "Get into game winning Field Goal Range" Tom on the last drive.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Athanatos posted:

Shoulda kicked some field goals on the 4th down plays. Then it would have been perfect for "Get into game winning Field Goal Range" Tom on the last drive.

Yeah probably.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The o-line literally refused to block. Brady was hit more times during today's game than any other QB in any other game this entire season. That is a real stat.

It was more than that. Wade Phillips played 8 defensive backs & 3 down linemen on early downs, nullifying the short passing game that's been keeping Brady alive all year. Once they were 3rd and long, Denver rushed the poo poo out of Brady, so he was hosed all day

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

It was more than that. Wade Phillips played 8 defensive backs & 3 down linemen on early downs, nullifying the short passing game that's been keeping Brady alive all year. Once they were 3rd and long, Denver rushed the poo poo out of Brady, so he was hosed all day

Brady was getting hit on the early downs too though. The Broncos were getting constant pressure rushing only 3 and 4 guys. It was pathetic.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Intruder posted:

So yeah go Panthers

nice baseball nerd

Go Panthers

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Intruder posted:

So yeah go Panthers

aww sorry your secret loverboy Tom Brady got owned today, no hard feelings

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Brady was getting hit on the early downs too though. The Broncos were getting constant pressure rushing only 3 and 4 guys. It was pathetic.

Yeah because Wade Phillips, of all loving people, figured out how to stop the shady-rear end pick plays your team is famous for

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Panthers could beat us 50-0 for all I care, today was our SuperBowl and we won and evil was vanquished and Tomboy's career in tatters courtesy of your AFC babyface Denver Broncos hail Elway hail Satan :baby:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Homestar Runner posted:

Panthers could beat us 50-0 for all I care, today was our SuperBowl and we won and evil was vanquished and Tomboy's career in tatters courtesy of your AFC babyface Denver Broncos hail Elway hail Satan :baby:

same

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Yeah because Wade Phillips, of all loving people, figured out how to stop the shady-rear end pick plays your team is famous for

It helps when our best receiver is coming off a broken foot.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It helps when our best receiver is coming off a broken foot.

Best at setting the picks or best at springing free from them?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Best at setting the picks or best at springing free from them?

He can do it all.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He can do it all.

Trade him to the 49ers then

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

im sure I would have been properly owned.

No ones mentioning that the Patriots knocked out both of Denver's starting safeties today. That might kind of be important in two weeks.

I've been trying to figure out what angle Belichick is working and I think his goal was to set up the biggest blow out in Super Bowl history. Then when Cam Newton starts doing the watusi after his 7th touchdown in the first half, naturally some hateful fan who snuck in a ricin dart gun (with the assistance of some mysterious insider) will assassinate Cam. The backlash on the security failure will force Roger Goodell out of commissionership and we can be sure Belichick has already lined up the perfect candidate to replace him.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I spoke to some friends of mine earlier this year about who I'd rather play and I've posted about it here that I thought the Panthers secondary would be better served facing New England rather than someone like Pittsburgh with their more vertical system because of the ability of their linebackers in coverage and the physical nature of their corners when defending short routes. Seattle tried the shorter patterns early to try and get the ball out of Wilson's hands faster which was a big mistake and ended up letting him free wheel and look for chunk plays in the second half which changed things significantly.

Beating the Panthers on defense seems to be about making them respect the deep ball, otherwise Kurt Coleman just wheels around the back end looking to under cut a route while Luke and Davis look to hurt in the middle of the field. Not many teams have been successful opening with the quick rhythm throws until Coleman and Harper are forced to get a little deeper to help out the corners on deeper patterns. The Cowboys and Seahawks both notably tried it and ended up throwing a pick 6 early. Jacksonville did so late in week one too.

I think that's a big reason why the Panthers have struggled a little bit late in games this year. Teams start being forced to take shots and find success because outside of Norman the individual match ups aren't great and the pass rush simply doesn't have the depth to go all day. McDermott has been blitzing more to offset this.

Having said that I didn't see a lot out of Peyton's arm in terms of velocity, a lot of great touch and timing early and a lot of well placed balls, but I got the feeling that Manning simply doesn't have the arm to throw the 15 yard out or to throw a fast ball up the seam. Then again I've seen a few games this year where the Panthers have let teams dink and dunk their way down field for 7 minutes too.

It's going to be a good game despite what some people think.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

BlindSite posted:

It's going to be a good game despite what some people think.
People said the same thing about Arizona-Carolina, and look how that turned out. Anything short of a drubbing equal to Seattle-Denver two years ago and I'd be shocked.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Broncos defense should confuse the gently caress out of Newton. I think the Broncos could even shut them out. He still has very sloppy mechanics.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Unlike the Patriots, Carolina has a run game.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

African AIDS cum posted:

Broncos defense should confuse the gently caress out of Newton. I think the Broncos could even shut them out. He still has very sloppy mechanics.

never change

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I can't wait for all the dog whistle about how much more "cerebral" Manning is over Cam.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Rooting for the Broncos today is the first time I've been in Manning's corner since... the last time he played the Pats I guess. Anyway, during the shameful display of quarterbacking I began to actually pity Peyton "He who is blessed by the Football gods above all others" Manning. This is a uncomfortable feeling that has not since gone away. I thought it would but the way Cam and Camettes absolutely embarrassed Carson Palmer (and by extension the Cardinals) kind of makes me feel like Manning is the underdog. Panthers are fun, Cam drives lovely white folks crazy, and they developed a tradition of giving playoff touchdown balls away to kids. Yet somehow I think I'm rooting for the Broncos.Owen Daniels and Demarcus Ware are guys who you want to have a capstone for their careers. Wade's defense is great fun to watch. I think I want Pey-Pey to retire on top.

It's me. I'm the embodiment of lovely football fans. :negative:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Question: why is someone automatically racist for disliking Cam?
I have nothing against the guy, just a general question. He's a good QB. Not my favorite, but whatever. Why is someone racist if they think he's a smug, smarmy rear end?

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

Dexo posted:

Unlike the Patriots, Carolina has a run game.
please don't slight Tom Brady

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Pope Mobile posted:

I have nothing against the guy, just a general question. He's a good QB. Not my favorite, but whatever. Why is someone racist if they think he's a smug, smarmy rear end?

People are very uptight

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I can't wait for all the dog whistle about how much more "cerebral" Manning is over Cam.

Don't worry, there's plenty of people willing to dedicate themselves to the cause.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Magicpants posted:

please don't slight Tom Brady

Pictured: The longest run in an AFC championship game by a New England Patriot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Pope Mobile posted:

I have noticed this too, in the last few years there has developed a sort of hivemind of underemployed 110 IQ dullards who propagate this stuff on their twitters and blogs etc. Which makes it gospel. They all talk about the same stuff. They're this weird cohort of sports fans who don't actually seem to like sports. People in the media follow all these people and get a warped view thinking everyone agrees and it just becomes gospel. Its not great.

African AIDS cum fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 25, 2016

• Locked thread