Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Sorry mate the only thing rich in your story is the idea of an Aussie believing he's wealthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

It's nice to reward good service and have the ability to pay less for poor service.

i agree, this in a sane world would be done by:

firing the people who provide poor service in an industry where wasting a lot of our time and risking our health is at stake and

giving raises to those who provide good service

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

dad gay. so what posted:

you stupid rear end in a top hat

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

extra stout posted:

i agree, this in a sane world would be done by:

firing the people who provide poor service in an industry where wasting a lot of our time and risking our health is at stake and

giving raises to those who provide good service

lol

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Absolutely not. Do you tip the cashier at a grocery store or how about when you buy gas? If you are a millionaire, sure, spread the wealth but normal people don't tip a cashier.

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If you can't afford to tip 20% on any bill in which you received a service from a person. (restaurants, dry cleaning, idk... dog grooming) you're an rear end in a top hat and you're bucking the trend. Tipping is so imperative because if everybody didn't tip these businesses would be unsustainable.

Not tipping on take out is a dick move, it's probably alright to tip a little less because in most places all the takeout orders tip's go to the host/hostess. But tipping nothing, in my eyes, is stealing. It's expected that everybody who eats/takes out at a restaurant will tip. Not doing so defies these expectations and you're not holding up your end of the social contract.

Cheaps/Poors Should Stay Home

edit: also if you live in a state where someone pumps your own gas you probably should give the dude a dollar or something. It's the same thing. He is providing you a service that you couldn't do yourself (legally, atleast). Most people do not tip the gas man tho and most people are dicks.

Incomplete Fish fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 25, 2016

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Neutrino posted:

Absolutely not. Do you tip the cashier at a grocery store or how about when you buy gas? If you are a millionaire, sure, spread the wealth but normal people don't tip a cashier.

You tip the gas pump guy in New Jersey.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

You tip the gas pump guy in New Jersey.

its punishment for being in new jersey

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Incomplete Fish posted:

If you can't afford to tip 20% on any bill in which you received a service from a person. (restaurants, dry cleaning, idk... dog grooming) you're an rear end in a top hat and you're bucking the trend. Tipping is so imperative because if everybody didn't tip these businesses would be unsustainable.

Not tipping on take out is a dick move, it's probably alright to tip a little less because in most places all the takeout orders tip's go to the host/hostess. But tipping nothing, in my eyes, is stealing. It's expected that everybody who eats/takes out at a restaurant will tip. Not doing so defies these expectations and you're not holding up your end of the social contract.

Cheaps/Poors Should Stay Home

How much do you tip your plumber or your doctor exactly? Or are you an rear end in a top hat for not making these businesses sustainable?

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
I generally tip 33% of my paycheck then Obama figures out the specifics. A good president IMHO.

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Neutrino posted:

How much do you tip your plumber or your doctor exactly? Or are you an rear end in a top hat for not making these businesses sustainable?

You... do tip the plumber though??? Those businesses are different. Of course you wouldn't tip a doctor wtf.

There are many businesses in which tipping is the norm. I'm talking about those.

mrhotdogvendor
May 28, 2006
very tired hispanic

Incomplete Fish posted:

You... do tip the plumber though??? Those businesses are different. Of course you wouldn't tip a doctor wtf.

There are many businesses in which tipping is the norm. I'm talking about those.

Do you tip your hair stylist? I'm asking you specifically. If so how much, not % but actually $ amount.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
im glad I live in a sensible tipping country

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Neutrino posted:

Plumbers and doctors work on huge markups. They make more than you do and don't need your tips.

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer

mrhotdogvendor posted:

Do you tip your hair stylist? I'm asking you specifically. If so how much, not % but actually $ amount.

Not to be a goon but i cut my own hair. I would tip a hair person 50% of the bill, so i guess like $20

Applewhite posted:

Plumbers and doctors work on huge markups. They make more than you do and don't need your tips.

Yeah that's the thing, workmen are incomparable with restaurants because with plumbers you ask them for a total price that they are willing to work for. There are no ala carte plumbers. Doctors get paid by insurance or w/e. You don't pay them directly.

mrhotdogvendor
May 28, 2006
very tired hispanic

Applewhite posted:

One time I tried to tip a drive thru worker who was working on New Years at like 2 am, he responded by smashing my Taco Bell order to bits.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

gnarlyhotep posted:

all I need to know is you're a dumbass

Damm gnarles, chill dawg

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
give then penis

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

mrhotdogvendor posted:

One time I tried to tip a drive thru worker who was working on New Years at like 2 am, he responded by smashing my Taco Bell order to bits.

I hope you took the tip back.

mrhotdogvendor
May 28, 2006
very tired hispanic

Applewhite posted:

I hope you took the tip back.

He handed it back first then basically smashed my food items and tore the bag up.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Just the tip

Lol remeber that archer episode

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

mrhotdogvendor posted:

He handed it back first then basically smashed my food items and tore the bag up.

lol that's what you get for buying Taco Bell at 2am on New Years.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

you don't have to tip with money but it would be nice to at least bake them some lemon bars or soemthing

mrhotdogvendor
May 28, 2006
very tired hispanic

Applewhite posted:

lol that's what you get for buying Taco Bell at 2am on New Years.

I sent a pic of the meal and the receipt to Taco Bell tweeter account when I got home.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Started seeing tip-jars at big chain fast-food places, and it's gross.

No, A&W cashier, I'm not going to tip you.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

mrhotdogvendor posted:

I sent a pic of the meal and the receipt to Taco Bell tweeter account when I got home.

Did they suck youre dick? ? Lol

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Incomplete Fish posted:

You... do tip the plumber though???

I thought at first you were well intentioned but a little misguided. I now see you're goddamn crazy.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Frankenstyle posted:

I thought at first you were well intentioned but a little misguided. I now see you're goddamn crazy.

ya that guy is a sociopath

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

GORDON posted:

So still no word on tipping the chick in the drive through window at Burger King? She takes my money and gives me food, same as the guy in the pizza place when I get a pizza to go.

I am deadly serious about this. Maybe we need to start tipping the fast food peeps.

I scoop up whatever change is in my ash tray and throw it at them through the window.

mrhotdogvendor
May 28, 2006
very tired hispanic

Nooner posted:

Did they suck youre dick? ? Lol

Why would this happen.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Incomplete Fish posted:

Lol if you tip your plumber you're a goddamn sucker. They make like 100k a year. If I were you, next time you see your plumber, you should ask for all your tips back.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 25, 2016

banme
Apr 23, 2008

Giraffe posted:

Wait, why do you have poo poo all over your fingers before you go to wipe?

I don't. But if I have to reach for TP twice there would be an implication that on the second time I did so my fingers would be less clean than they were before I wiped my rear end.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Applewhite posted:

Lol if you tip your plumber you're a goddamn sucker. They make like 100k a year. If I were you, next time you see your plumber, you should ask for all your tips back.

I mean, yeah, but why would some even think to tip a plumber in the first place. The vast majority of them work for themselves; the money you pay them is not going to be divvied up and they only get an unfair share.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

tipping is a scam lol

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I tip my entire bank account and savings. Those people work much harder than me TBH yet I earn 5x as much money. Not fair IMO.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i like it when the grocery store puts up signs that tell you not to tip anyone because customer service is our reward

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
if you go to a restaurant often, like once a week often, the entire staff knows who you are and how you tip.this is also double true if you order delivery. your food probably wont get spit in but on the other hand nobody is going to rush to make your order or make sure it gets out to you hot. also if you are a regular who tips well we will go out of our way for you and either make special things that aren't on the menu or hook you up with extra food/free poo poo. it's extortion but it can work out in your favor you loving crybabys

Saucy Slit
Jul 27, 2011
To Go Order people are usually bar tenders; cooks and to go people make a higher paid wage than the servers (like three times more at least). Tipping for a pick up order is not needed, and quite strange to. Served tables for years and rarely any one would tip a to go order. That's retarded. To go order people and cooks get paid higher than servers because they don't exist on tips.

Also, if a restaurant does that pool tip out bullshit, I will discretely give my server their tip and make sure that they pocket it. Sometimes, I'll let the manager know that my server deserves all of their tip and will personally make sure it stays that way.
Tip pools are micro-communism, gently caress that poo poo, my server deserves the benefit of the weight of their work. Most servers are lazy and try to get others to do their work, no joke, all seriousness.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Saucy Slit posted:

Also, if a restaurant does that pool tip out bullshit, I will discretely give my server their tip and make sure that they pocket it. Sometimes, I'll let the manager know that my server deserves all of their tip and will personally make sure it stays that way.
Tip pools are micro-communism, gently caress that poo poo, my server deserves the benefit of the weight of their work. Most servers are lazy and try to get others to do their work, no joke, all seriousness.

at places where they pool tips servers always get like 2 or 3x more than the cooks etc. i'm a cook and of course i think thats fair. i guarantee the servers are taking that money to make you feel special but are really just putting it in the tip pool you enormous dork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

gnarlyhotep posted:

you said you ordered it over the phone you loving idiot

you also said you were picking it up, so jesus christ you;re even more retarded than I thought

This is a person who mods our sacred GBS? Nice going Lowtax.

• Locked thread