Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I woke up today with a little bit of a head cold. I don't get sick very often as I'm a bastion of health and my body is a temple, so it was kind of a shocker. Also, typically a blazing hot shower and maybe some tea and I'm good.

This one was annoying though. I sat in the steam and it didn't seem to clear me up at all. Afterwards I went to my couch to sulk about it and remembered something. I have a neti pot!

For those who don't irrigate a neti pot is basically a small pot with a long stem. You fill it with body temp water, some salt solution and pour it into your nose to fill your sinuses. Then you blow out the water along with all the crud that's stuck up I'm there. Do the other side next. Repeat as needed.

So do any other goons irrigate?

Here's some depictions on how an everyday normal person would use a neti pot:

And

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I wanted one of these because late at night when I can't breath through my nose I wonder how good it would feel to just be able to force all the poo poo out. But then I learned it's really caused by your nasal cavity swelling shut so it wouldn't even work that way.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
fun fact there is a use for a drug called "pseudoephedrine" or "pseudo" as it's known in the Streets that isn't the illicit manufacture of methamphetamines, and it's much more useful than a neti pot

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.
wow a nasal douche

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

mdm posted:

fun fact there is a use for a drug called "pseudoephedrine" or "pseudo" as it's known in the Streets that isn't the illicit manufacture of methamphetamines, and it's much more useful than a neti pot

I'm not street smart. I'd probably get robbed buying this stuff.

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
neti pots own

i like to use them when i throw up and it goes out my nose

gets all the puke out

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

King of Bees posted:

I'm not street smart. I'd probably get robbed buying this stuff.

understandable fear, you need an ID to buy it now so the dealer will know where you live

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

mdm posted:

a good drug

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
also the kind that looks like a turkey baster are pretty good too. you dont have to tip your head or anything you just shove it up there and squeeze as hard as possible and tear out your ear drums

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naegleria_fowleri

sobbing hog
Aug 17, 2015
i pour it in one nostril but then suck it all up and leave it

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Incomplete Fish posted:

neti pots own

gets all the puke out

It's fun too see what's all up in there. Like today, the source of my problems was a couple of goldfish crackers. Parmesan.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
what if u filled it with cum lol

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ur supposed to use distilled water that you put some salt in so its isotonic u nerd

that argument against nasal irrigation is bullshit dont use water from a mud puddle outside

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Urban legend. Next thing you'll tell me is that ear wax candles don't work or the body doesn't have humors.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Incomplete Fish posted:

neti pots own

gets all the puke out

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's been in tap water and I bet people use tap water all the time

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Nasal gravyboats ain't poo poo. The real action is on Afrin.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Lotta guinea pigs for big pharma itt.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Drink more water.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

I would support nasal gravyboats if they worked. They do literally nothing to my nose holes.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Beauty and the Beast gettin a whole lot kinkier

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I used them a few times but they never seemed to help.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

There it is

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

r u guys saying people don't use tap water with these and that the dirty goons potentially reading this thread wouldn't think tap water was fine?

Tbh not putting that you gotta use distilled water in your post is p irresponsible of you op

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

mdm posted:

drugs are great and all but you really want to be flushing the mucous out of your body, whereas sudafed just dries it out in place and can lead to infections

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
When you use a Neti Pot, when the water comes out the other nostril is it supposed to look like Dinty Moore Hearty Beef Chili?

Asking for a friend.

Guineapig
Sep 8, 2005

Louder is not Better

Incomplete Fish posted:

also the kind that looks like a turkey baster are pretty good too. you dont have to tip your head or anything you just shove it up there and squeeze as hard as possible and tear out your ear drums

Based on anecdotes that I've heard, these can force the bad stuff that you are trying to remove farther in instead of out, or, as you say, cause ear problems. The neti pot with its relatively passive action is more reliable to do no wrong. My ear drum still gurgles sometimes when using the neti pot.

Regarding that amoeba or whatever that is a real thing, boiling the water or using reliably distilled wipes out that problem even if it were present, which it mostly isn't in our drinking water. "Mostly" but not "never", so always good to boil and use the cooled water or reliably distilled.

The speed with which the neti pot helps the cold sufferer get back to normal is remarkable in my experience and well worth the perceptual grossness of the process. Some people absolutely refuse to try it because of sticking things up your nose. Once you get past that squeamishness with bodily functions it's pretty cool and makes breathing much easier, usually.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Nehti pot? Hell yeah legalize it

sobbing hog
Aug 17, 2015

radiatinglines posted:

r u guys saying people don't use tap water with these and that the dirty goons potentially reading this thread wouldn't think tap water was fine?

Tbh not putting that you gotta use distilled water in your post is p irresponsible of you op

i import water from flint to clean out my disgusting nose

Guineapig
Sep 8, 2005

Louder is not Better

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

When you use a Neti Pot, when the water comes out the other nostril is it supposed to look like Dinty Moore Hearty Beef Chili?

Asking for a friend.
I would think that if you were a smoker and blew smoke out your nose, or are a coal miner or something similar where you breathe a lot of air with particulates, or had recently had a bloody nose or something like that, then yes, it should look pretty gross.

The beauty part is that what's coming out was in there and shouldn't be, so it's the same as looking at the wash water when you wash your car or the floor. If it's filthy, it's because you're taking the dirt off and it has to go somewhere. Better gone than leave it there, IMHO. Better yet to not put that junk in there in the first place, but then we get into a lifestyle discussion rather than a sickness/medical one.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

radiatinglines posted:

I use tap water cause I ain't no beta bitch!!!

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Drink more water. Your tissues become more inflamed when dehydrated, and you probably are dehydrated as gently caress when you wake up.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
A few years ago, Goons were all, "get a neti pot it will cure literally everything."

So I bought one. Didn't do a drat thing for my sinuses. gently caress you Something Awful goons.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

King of Bees posted:

I woke up today with a little bit of a head cold. I don't get sick very often as I'm a bastion of health and my body is a temple, so it was kind of a shocker. Also, typically a blazing hot shower and maybe some tea and I'm good.

This one was annoying though. I sat in the steam and it didn't seem to clear me up at all. Afterwards I went to my couch to sulk about it and remembered something. I have a neti pot!

For those who don't irrigate a neti pot is basically a small pot with a long stem. You fill it with body temp water, some salt solution and pour it into your nose to fill your sinuses. Then you blow out the water along with all the crud that's stuck up I'm there. Do the other side next. Repeat as needed.

So do any other goons irrigate?

Here's some depictions on how an everyday normal person would use a neti pot:

And

What the gently caress is wrong with you.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
part of the problem is the stupid name, call it a sinuscup and has much more marketable appeal

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I use it sometimes to clean the crusty speed and ketamine out of my nose after a good weekend.

It helps to avoid Post Nasal Depression.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

FrankieGoes posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you.

Molentik posted:

Post Nasal Depression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

King of Bees posted:

I use tap water cause I ain't no beta bitch!!!

Hell yeah!!!!

Also lol at the entire argument. Aint no amoeba in the water you idiots. I aint ever seen no yoshi or mario come out my tap. It was only sensationalism from kotaku you idiots hahaha you buy the amoeba from gamestop or ebay not the tap hahaha

• Locked thread