Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
This thread is for laughing at mil-simmers for reasons that don't need any explanation.

What is milsim?

Milsim is when you save thousands of dollars and a guy punches you.

Milsim is for when mom won't let you play warhams in the basement anymore.

Milsim is eating MREs in "the field" for 48 hours

Milsim is paying for the pleasure of firing blanks and probably notcleaning your weapon after.

Example one, fighting and screaming like little babies when a "real" fight breaks out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bRkIiJ2aeo&t=252s

Example two, see above

In conclusion,

Airsoft versus MILSIM

By John Bucciarelli, Blacksheep6
Major, Infantry, US Army Retired

Many players use the terms interchangeably, but there is a significant difference.

I have been involved in this sport for 10 years and producing national level events for 6 years. My first experience in this sport was back in 2004. It was a 300 person game in Massachusetts. I was impressed as I stepped out of my car with the guns and gear. Things were going well UNTIL we got in the woods and the battle commenced. The lines for the shitters crossed the entire parking lot. A convoy of Dominos trucks had gotten lost, split up, and was scattered across the battlefield. The trenches were filled with vape smoke.

These...kids...they didn’t understand what I was talking about when it came to tactics. They were acting out some movie poo poo. There was no illusion of fire and maneuver. The rules completely decimated any semblance of unit cohesion. Where was the camaraderie? I felt our lack of a good safety brief was the first step down this treacherous path.

On first contact the team dissolved as players headed back to someplace called a “respawn” and whether they ever came back was questionable. I sat down with the event organizers after the game and bluntly said, “If you want guys like me to come back and play this game, then there had to be significant changes made.” I started teaching squad tactics to players in the New England community. In 2006 I published the MILSIM Tactics Manual and the MILSIM MOUT Manual. It took me that long to adapt the real world tactics I had learned in the Army to the game environment. The most significant difference was the range of the guns – an M16 has an effective range of over 500 meters and an Airsoft M4 has an effective range of just about 150 feet. That's okay though because none of these kids were going to be running very far.

Operation Blacksheep is a squad based, 24 hour, 18+, force on force, objective oriented, continuous tactical simulation. It is designed to challenge you mentally, physically, tactically and spiritually. My hope is that the best Milsim graduates will be farmed out to Academe and the CIA. I think I could make a good retirement off this, and my stupid commander will feel really bad for recommendation me for separation. It was just a loving PT test! Anyway, there is a Wall at Operation Blacksheep – it’s the point where your mind or body says you can’t go any further. This is usually right around when the temp drops below 75 degrees, or the mosquitos start biting. This challenge presents itself individually and as a team. There is arguing. Sweating. Vaping. Someone has run out of floss. The porta johns are over flowing already. Someone's combat suspenders break. Each event presents different challenges.

I hear it all the time that many think they are not ready for Blacksheep. You never know until you try. Operation Blacksheep is based on measurable military standards. For example, can you afford to play? Do you have parental permission? Your experience at this event will set a mark on the wall for your current level of proficiency and outline what you have to improve on. I am told many Milsim graduates have gone on to the top of their ROTC class. I plan to call on them when the time comes for our elite unit status to be proven. Blacksheep Milsim gives you a goal to achieve for the next event and what you should practice. No one leaves a Blacksheep event a loser – although the Company score does count. So there are actually losers. My old commander still texts me and says "hey, I read your blog, and just wanted to say you are all losers." But ignore him. It’s the individual and team achievements that are the most noteworthy. I have also heard many say they would like to attend a Blacksheep event but it’s too far away. I have decided to “bring the mountain to Mohammed” so look for a Blacksheep event near you.

Please support the PTSD-MILSIM Challenge! Get your RED – Remember Everyone Deployed – Patch and Tab. It is the most visible sign that any MILSIM player can do to support the veterans they are emulating.

See you on the battlefield!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Did not read

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Did not write

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:frogout:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Sorry but this is weak stuff. It should go to the gas chamber imo

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Jesus Christ. Please be a parody.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
gently caress this thread and gently caress you all

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
I'm laughing maniacally.

Wasn't RRail really into Airsoft? I feel like if we pull back on that yoke hard enough this thread'll climb to even funnier heights.

Wonder if he's sold his Airsoft gear for blue rhino propane tanks to keep his posh camper above freezing this winter.

~lol~

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

holocaust bloopers posted:

Jesus Christ. Please be a parody.

You can't seriously tell?

Jesus Christ.

You all have a touch of the 'Tism.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Or a spot of sperg.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I just assume Rrail is dead or homeless.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
those shitheels in tfr have an airsoft thread and rrail was the op

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I would stare at the guy who wrote that milsim poo poo so loving hard

he'd be really uncomfortable I tell ya what

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

those shitheels in tfr have an airsoft thread and rrail was the op

loving :lol:

I hope he wore Oakley Wrap Arounds to his funeral.

Jk they don't do funerals at the potters field. :keke:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
The only thing gayer than joining the military is playing dress up with fake guns surrounded by retard kids and other manchildren like yourself.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is one fail rear end thread

Chewbacca Defense
Sep 6, 2009

High speed, low drag.
I can only imagine how much money these nerds would pay to play with miles gear

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
probably not a lot because you can't get video game guns to use with it

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Teflon Don posted:

Sorry but this is weak stuff. It should go to the gas chamber imo

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

What did Rrail actually do? I vaguely remember him being a contractor or something.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I thought he was some kind of intel? Then, depending on which BS story you want to believe, he either breezed through business school in a year while slamming 18 year olds in his penthouse apartment or got kicked out of school for cheating and became a Walmart greeter until offing himself.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Did he really kill himself? Last I heard was he had a downtown apartment where he slammed out college broads while doing something in finance. That was his story anyway.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm starting that rumor

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm pretty sure he enlisted in the Bundy Army

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Airsoft Don't L.A.R.P. per say. Only time that happens is when there are NPC players added to the mix and interact with us. We are MILSIM I don't role a die to figure out what my damages is or where the wound is located. Yes I am grasping at terms but there is a difference.

----------------

The premiere milsim experiences in the country (Lion Claws, East Wind, Black Sheep) All include NPC players added to the mix. And LARPing isn't always with dice roles or anything of that nature but is more like sword training where both of you are attacking as if to kill. You get hit in the hand or arm you no longer can use that limb and have to deal with it.

-----------------

LARP: Live Action Role Play. MilSim: Military Simulation.
In MilSim you are simulating (Role Playing) a soldier in a Live Action event. In other words, MilSim is a form of Live Action Role Playing. LARPing.

------------------

Its is military simulation not L.A.R.P and for me its not a fake uniform I was in the military. And if you cant tell the difference between the 2 take up knitting.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
source your quotes also :gas:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's my uniform!

that he wore at a desk in the motor pool

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
why

is

this

a

thread

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Naked Bear posted:

why

is

this

a

thread

This is the best thread.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Naked Bear posted:

why

is

this

a

thread

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Godholio posted:

This is the best thread.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I don't know about MILSIM, but I would probably play a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. LARP if I ever came across one.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I was never in but this sounds like it has real business potential, if I rent out a hotel convention room and charge 300 bucks a head promising the most realistic two day military simulation experience possible and then give a 36 hour sexual harrassment powerpoint will I be

1: legally covered against claims of false advertising

and

2: doing a public service?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Only if they get a bunch of RE: RE: FW: U//FOUO [ACTION REQUIRED] HOT!!! emails for 6 months in advance and if they fail to read and reply to them all and fill out a bunch of stupid PDFs and Lotus Forms, they lose their registration fee & seat. Regardless of how many seats are left because ~~ accountability ~~

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

my tombstone is going to read:

rip in piss
died as he lived
standing by

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
Just read this as "the muslim thread" and got excited.

:smith:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

ManMythLegend posted:

I don't know about MILSIM, but I would probably play a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. LARP if I ever came across one.

Run 100yds get winded. Chug energy drinks. Drink vodka until you pass out. Die to the elements

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
such is life in the zone, tovarisch

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
i remember all those Non-Player-Characters that spawned in JRTC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Bolow posted:

Run 100yds get winded. Chug energy drinks. Drink vodka until you pass out. Die to the elements
I said come in, don't stand there!

• Locked thread