Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Shaggar posted:

w/ thunderbolt you can infect the 30 different apple adapters in your conference room and then it will spread to everyone who plugs in. thunderbolt is bad and has no consumer use case.

is this actually a thing? is there a link to this happening somewhere? I need a good laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
https://trmm.net/Thunderstrike

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
thats going to get fixed at some point http://www.macrumors.com/2016/02/02/apple-acquired-legbacore/

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
some people legit have trouble plugging in usb cords and it's endlessly funny to me

*grabs usb cord, starts frantically jabbing it at usb port*

WHY WON'T IT WORK???

*turns the cord, frantically jabs, turns it again*

THIRD TIME EVERY TIME AM I RIGHT???

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i can look at the usb plug and then look at the usb hole and plug it in correctly the first time. but it feels kind of embarrassing to do so

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
OP,

no.

Thanks,
-sniep

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Sniep posted:

OP,

no.

Thanks,
-sniep

Rude.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

ah yeah i meant micro. that thing is so goddamn terrible

this cable is nice because you can still charge your phone with the old cables but you can use the new ones for 10x the speed for things like making a backup

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

That is a good commercial, i love commercials

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

As a Millennial I posted:

i have a usb-ethernet adapter and i have no idea what i would do with it

they are handy when travelling and end up in a hotel with no wifi, or the wifi is insanely oversubscribed

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

except HDMI didn't support high resolutions

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

The HDMI type A connector is really kinda rad if you think about it

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i still use firewire hooked up to my stb to watch tv shows

works4me

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
i have my emails faxed to me

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

jony ive aces posted:

The HDMI type A connector is really kinda rad if you think about it

mini displayport is way better

hell even the full size displayport connector is better. the hdmi one blows rear end chunks

also mini hdmi is useless. ive never seen micro but i'm assuming its some android trash

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

lampey posted:

this cable is nice because you can still charge your phone with the old cables but you can use the new ones for 10x the speed for things like making a backup

my phone uses lightning cables. the connector is really nice

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

usb won out because it was cheap and simple to implement, throwaway firewire-keys would not have been a thing the same way throwaway usb-keys are

it is in retrospect really hard to see how that was even considered a competition at the time

because QUALITY trumps quantity, and pcs are high priced premium items which will never be bottom tier consumer garbage

Shaggar posted:

w/ thunderbolt you can infect the 30 different apple adapters in your conference room and then it will spread to everyone who plugs in. thunderbolt is bad and has no consumer use case.

the use case is usb but with a better connector and faster

so basically it exists for people who don't want to wait for usb4 in 2020.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

hdmi is ... trash

:agreed:

i don't understand why both hdmi and dp exist at the same time, and dp has the less lovely connectors

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
i had hdmi mini in my laptop but who the gently caress has a mini hdmi cable? completely useless connector

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i find all larger connector variants eternally confusing since the smaller variants seem to work fine and it should be obviously better to only have the one kind?

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

I watched a peer of mine have to plug in a giant dongle containing a usb, vga, and lightning port into his new mac's lightning port so he could use a usb thumb drive and i nearly lost my mind

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

The Puppet Master posted:

I watched a peer of mine have to plug in a giant dongle containing a usb, vga, and lightning port into his new mac's lightning port so he could use a usb thumb drive and i nearly lost my mind

About how fully sick and futuristic it was, I assume!

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Do they even ship with a C to A converter?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Puppet Master posted:

wait what? if it was a new macbook, it wouldn't have a thunderbolt port, and if it was a mba or mbp it would have usb-a ports

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

wait what? if it was a new macbook, it wouldn't have a thunderbolt port, and if it was a mba or mbp it would have usb-a ports

I assume he means the new macbook with usb-c, not lightning

maniacdevnull posted:

Do they even ship with a C to A converter?

No. It's $50

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
well, good thing everyone who buys that macbook has a ton of money then

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Maximum Leader posted:

i had hdmi mini in my laptop but who the gently caress has a mini hdmi cable? completely useless connector

yeah I used a 550Ti for a period of time that had a mini-HDMI, it came with a cable but that poo poo was only 3 feet

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Beeftweeter posted:

mini displayport is way better

hell even the full size displayport connector is better. the hdmi one blows rear end chunks

also mini hdmi is useless. ive never seen micro but i'm assuming its some android trash
i've never used displayport but hdmi a feels really pleasant to plug in imo. like knobfeel but for plugs

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

jony ive aces posted:

i've never used displayport but hdmi a feels really pleasant to plug in imo. like knobfeel but for plugs

based on this i assume you also like mini and micro usb 3 connectors or some poo poo

what you're actually trying to say is that users bellyfeel minidp

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
have you tried shoving it up your bum

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

jony ive aces posted:

nah. you need something with positive retention to get that quality knobfeel. something like xlr. now thats a quality connector

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Shaggar posted:

you can run thunderbolt over type-c :getin:

e: actually this is the one use case i've ever seen for thunderbolt, intel is working on a NUC that uses it to connect an external graphics enclosure to fit a desktop video card

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Smdh if your connectors aren't made by Neutrik

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

atomicthumbs posted:

Smdh if your connectors aren't made by Neuticles

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

blowfish posted:

based on this i assume you also like mini and micro usb 3 connectors or some poo poo
mini usb was okay but nowhere near as good as hdmi

micro usb is piss garbage that feels like it's going to snap off, and i dont see how the usb 3 clownshow variant could be an improvement

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jony ive aces posted:

this is a really hosed up opinion, drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

jony ive aces posted:

i agree op, there is a very distinct pop when it goes in, as opposed to usb for example, which is not as good

• Locked thread