Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Do I roll on the Toadstool Table right now or that's one of my options on my next search?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Gutter Owl posted:

Good luck, Witch. The two demons are really, really loving awful to fight unless you're the Pilgrim. They cast Power of the Pit instead of attacking, and can drop a lucky instakill on you.

So all I have to do is survive one round of casting, then I can just grab and eat it?

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

Bouquet posted:

Do I roll on the Toadstool Table right now or that's one of my options on my next search?

Each search in the next round you can choose to either loot the Pool some more (8 treasures left) or roll on the Toadstool table.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

TheNabster posted:

So all I have to do is survive one round of casting, then I can just grab and eat it?

Hmm, it's actually a bit tricky, the demon looks like this:

He's too fast to undercut on either side and the Power of the Pit attack will undercut the tremendous troll.

Once the demon connects with his PotP attack he flips and combat doesn't end until he lines up with the troll at which point it's game over for the Witch... unless.

The only way the tremendous troll wins the fight is if it connects on round 1 (a 1 in 3 chance) and survives the PotP attack. Then the troll flips as well and has his nasty speed 2 attack, once he lines up with the Demon his attack will go first and he kills it.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

So it could be a better idea just to run away?

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

1. Play Duck T3* as my defense every turn.
2. Use H6 attack in smash.
3. Put my other helmet on if the first one gets busted.
4. Preferentially fatigue/wound move chits over attack because the goal is to stay in this space until something cool is found.
5. Don't try to prolong the fight.

If anyone better at fighting faster monsters wants to join in on the never-ending parade of monsters and huge piles of loot in this clearing, you are welcome!

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

TheNabster posted:

So it could be a better idea just to run away?

Hmm, the flying demon has a speed of 3 so it's too fast to run from. If any one else has any ideas about how the Witch best gets through this encounter, let me know.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

disperse posted:

Hmm, the flying demon has a speed of 3 so it's too fast to run from. If any one else has any ideas about how the Witch best gets through this encounter, let me know.

Given Nabster's initial lack of knowledge regardng the Demon and being a first-time player, it might be fair to just let him take back his call of troll and instead slip away while still hidden, but that would hinge on not having already input the order into the program, so I don't know if it's still a possibility. Otherwise, yeah, just hope for the one-in-three miracle hit to kill the demon, I guess.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

Given Nabster's initial lack of knowledge regardng the Demon and being a first-time player, it might be fair to just let him take back his call of troll and instead slip away while still hidden, but that would hinge on not having already input the order into the program, so I don't know if it's still a possibility. Otherwise, yeah, just hope for the one-in-three miracle hit to kill the demon, I guess.

He's not hidden. :(

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

disperse posted:

He's not hidden. :(

Oh. Oh no. Well, I can give him that spell-bearing ring I've got when he respawns, I mean it needs gold magic to function, and the "provides clearing with gold magic" artifact is, as seen in your own playthroughs, pretty impractical (though, actually, using it to power items rather than your own spell chits is much better, because it doesn't cause the "cast spell, pass out and lose next turn" effect), but at least it's something.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Wait, isn't the chance higher than 1/3?

It's been a while since I've had to use the Absorb Essence rules, but is the following not also a possibility?

Round 1: Troll fails to line up the attack. Demon gets a nonlethal PftP and flips to the instakill side.
Rounds 2 through N: Troll and Demon fail to connect.
Round N: Troll lines up an attack while getting missed on defense (say, Smash/Charge vs Smash/Duck). Troll flips to her instakill side.
Round N+X: Troll and demon line up, Troll wins the instakill fight.

This strat requires a little fiddling: Normally you want to protect your move with your attack, but this strat would require that the Trollwitch misalign her attack and movement on turns 2 through N (to allow the chance of hitting while being missed), and then switching back to matching move/attack on turns N+1 through N+X.

It's not much, but it DOES increase her chance of survival/victory.

Is there something I'm missing?

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

Wait, isn't the chance higher than 1/3?

It's been a while since I've had to use the Absorb Essence rules, but is the following not also a possibility?

Round 1: Troll fails to line up the attack. Demon gets a nonlethal PftP and flips to the instakill side.
Rounds 2 through N: Troll and Demon fail to connect.
Round N: Troll lines up an attack while getting missed on defense (say, Smash/Charge vs Smash/Duck). Troll flips to her instakill side.
Round N+X: Troll and demon line up, Troll wins the instakill fight.

This strat requires a little fiddling: Normally you want to protect your move with your attack, but this strat would require that the Trollwitch misalign her attack and movement on turns 2 through N (to allow the chance of hitting while being missed), and then switching back to matching move/attack on turns N+1 through N+X.

It's not much, but it DOES increase her chance of survival/victory.

Is there something I'm missing?

No, you're right! I forgot that absorbed creatures can place their attack separately from their maneuver which allows exactly what you describe. It does increase the Witch's chances substantially, but it's still a dangerous situation...

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

If the Witch is OK with the plan that Gutter Owl proposed I'll go ahead and run combat today.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

It seems like a better one then the 1/3 chance of winning with every chance to just die. Go for it.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Evening 13 Results

The Dwarf squares off against two enormous armored serpents:

Trusting his well polished and sturdy helmet to protect him, the Dwarf targets one of the two snakes with his great axe.

With no change in position or tactics, everyone misses and combat continues to round 2.

Same setup as Round 1, except now the Dwarf is protected by an alerted axe:

This time around one snake distracts the Dwarf while the other sinks its fangs into him, wounding him, and worse, damaging his helmet!

Combat continues to Round 3. (Dwarf Wounds Move H6)
Everyone misses again this round.

In Round 7, things again go in favor of the snakes and the Dwarf misses the one he is targeting while its brother destroys his first helmet and wounds him. (Dwarf wounds Fight H4**)

Fortunately, the Dwarf is prepared with a SECOND HELMET...

Round 5: Everyone misses again and the second snake flips to its more dangerous side.

And, finally, in Round 6, combat ends without the Dwarf having made contact with either of the snakes.

Sorry Dwarf, that was a tough combat for you and luck didn't go your way.

The Witch Queen floats among the shadows of the trees and targets the pack of wolves with a blast of flames...

...killing 3, two remain!

The remaining pair charge the Witch Queen who waves a hand and fades back into the shadows. The wolves spin around, angry and confused.
The Witch Queen appears again and unleashes a second burst of flames at the remaining wolves... one survives.

The Witch Queen, her magical energies spent, again fades back into the shadows and leaves the last snarling wolf alone in the clearing.

Results: +10 Notoriety (1+2+3+4)

The Witch is busy reading runes on the ancient shrine when its keeper, a huge winged demon, returns. The Witch, annoyed, turns into troll form and prepares to tear the demon's head from its shoulders.

The demon casts a spell on the Witch but she easily shrugs it off in her troll form:

The demon swoops over the troll-witch, who fails to get a hold on the demon, grasps her shoulders with its taloned feet, and drags her into the air.

Things look grim for the Witch who desperately tries to grab onto the demon while it flaps its wings, climbing higher and higher into the air.

But then the Witch grabs a leg and climbs the demon, grappling with it, trapping one of its wings against its body with her strong arms. The demon and Witch tumble toward the earth with tremendous speed...

...and the Troll lands on top of the demon, its body breaking the troll's fall.
Results: +8 Fame +8 Notoriety

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Day 14 Status

You can find the status of the game here.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Get RIGGIDY RIGGIDY REKT SOOOOOOOOOOOOOON.

Now back to reading these runes.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

TheNabster posted:

Get RIGGIDY RIGGIDY REKT SOOOOOOOOOOOOOON.

Now back to reading these runes.

You're out of black magic. Also, Day 14 is a regeneration day which could mean the demon returns from the dead. Keep that in mind before throwing yourself fully into reading runes.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Keep forgetting to look at the rules when I am at home. What can I actually do with my actions while I'm blocked?

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Are there any other magic places I can go to then?

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Bouquet posted:

Keep forgetting to look at the rules when I am at home. What can I actually do with my actions while I'm blocked?

Nothing, but you don't get blocked until the end of your first action which you can use to move out of the clearing or hide. If you hide successfully then you get to take your second action as well.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

TheNabster posted:

Are there any other magic places I can go to then?

Not that I can see. You can always play it safe on day 14 (hide multiple times) and then go back to your studies if the demon doesn't respawn (any roll except a 2).

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Alright I will hide then rest so I can hopefully ambush one this time.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

I shall queue up 3 hides then, and one cheeky read runes test if that won't break my stealth.

And order my familiar to keep following the white knight and eyeballing him for scraps.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Just waiting on orders from the knights, both the Black Knight and the White Knight.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Sorry, the server has been down for a few days, I restarted apache and everything seems to be running OK. You can still find the latest map here.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Day 14 Results

The White Knight, reinvigorated by the potion of health, resumes his meticulous search of the cairns. Like a paleontologist he deftly picks away at the rocks searching for anything he may have missed. His focus pays off as he brushes a layer of dirt off of a valuable treasure. The Witch's Familiar watches the knight work for a while before sneaking off to a sunny rock to take a nap.
Hide (fail), Alert (morning star), Search (loot, fatigue move T4*, nothing), Search (loot, fatigue magic I3**, recovers move T4*, found 1 treasure), Rest (magic I3**, fatigues move T4*)

The Witch, weak from her close encounter with the demon of the shrine, cautiously searches the shrine for treasure after realizing that the only remaining ruins describe a holy (and therefore useless) rite. She pulls a small treasure from the shrine and secrets it away in a hidden pocket.
Hide (success), Hide (n/a), Hide (n/a), Search (loot, finds a treasure)

The Dwarf tries to find a quiet corner in which to rest but the snakes find him and rudely interrupt his slumber.
Hide (fail), Rest (blocked)

The Black Knight leads his band of hired natives quietly into the damp caves and finds the dwarf surrounded by giant snakes. He coordinates with his men using a series of tactical hand signals as they prepare to to ambush the snakes. A giant bat senses movement and swoops down into the caves.
Hide (success), Move (borderlands 6)

The Witch Queen leaves the last of the wolves behind and moves through the ruins and into a quiet corner of the Evil Valley to rest.
Move (Curst Valley 4), Move (Ruins 5), Move (Ruins 3), Move (Evil Valley 4)

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Evening Orders Needed

The Dwarf is unhidden and Black Knight with his hired company are hidden in a clearing with a pair of heavy armored snakes and a giant bat:

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Any thoughts, Dwarf?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

No evening orders for the Witch Queen.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

LeSquide posted:

Any thoughts, Dwarf?

Sorry, out of town for weekend and phone posting. Dwarf has a hard time with all of them so whatever you can do is good.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

A couple hints: the Dwarf can handle one snake safely by covering his duck with his axe. The Company's great swordsman can solo the bat safely (the bat deals medium damage and the great swordsman's vulnerability is heavy).

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Ok, how's this for a plan Black Knight?

-Dwarf lures one snake.
-Great swordsman lures the bat.
-Another minion or the Black Knight lures the other snake.
-The rest of Team Black Knight kicks rear end during their surprise round.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Bouquet posted:

Ok, how's this for a plan Black Knight?

-Dwarf lures one snake.
-Great swordsman lures the bat.
-Another minion or the Black Knight lures the other snake.
-The rest of Team Black Knight kicks rear end during their surprise round.

Sounds good to me! I'll lure the other snake. To keep my dudes intact.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Ok, Dwarf will lure one snake, then Duck and Cover (TM) until snake is dead.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

LeSquide posted:

Sounds good to me! I'll lure the other snake. To keep my dudes intact.

Edit: I'm an idiot, this is the Black Knight, not the Captain, and he can kill a heavy armored snake without too much trouble. I'll go ahead and run this...

It doesn't do much good for the Captain to lure a snake, he can't hurt it. At least one pikeman is going to have to engage the snake in order to have a chance at killing it.

In round 1, when length trumps speed, the pikeman is perfectly safe luring a snake. I'll run it this way and let everyone know how round 1 goes and then you can decide how to proceed.

disperse fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 23, 2016

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Evening Results

The Dwarf, Black Knight, and Company square off against a pair of heavy armored serpents and a giant bat:

The dwarf waves his stubby arms at one snake, getting its attention and pulling it away from the larger group.

The Captain steps forward to face the second snake, "Stand back, company, I got this."

The great swordsman pulls the visor of his helmet down and charges the giant bat, relying on his heavy armor to protect him, the remaining members of the company decide to take a stab at the bat while distracted by the great swordsman.

The Dwarf cleaves his snake in two:

And the Company dispatches the giant bat (the kill goes to C3, a pikeman):

But the Black Knight fails to connect with the remaining snake:

Round 2

The crossbowman lures the snake while the Dwarf and Black Knight cover him (he's perfectly safe covered by the Black Knight):

Unfortunately, the elusive snake escapes harm:

But the very next round the crossbowman's bolt finds its mark and the snake is no more:

Results: Black Knight: +7 fame +7 notoriety for dispatching one snake and the giant bat (Fight M4* fatigued to extend combat), Dwarf: +4 fame +4 notoriety for dispatching the other snake.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

We made it to Day 15!

Please submit your orders. You can find the current state of the board here.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

You should already have my standing orders for tonight, yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Where else might I acquire magicks from?

• Locked thread