Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm going to be super-busy all of this weekend, so maybe I should sit this one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Having played in Realm Speak for a little while longer, just sort of save scumming through to get a feel for the game's systems, I think I've got a good handle on things. Some of my observations after trying out a lot of the content:

-Peace is both insanely powerful and a hell of a troll.

-Magic Sight is good for getting the last couple treasures out of a site, since it pops on three. Plus, if you have an artifact with a spell you can learn on it, the chance to Perceive Magic isn't so bad.

-The top three treasure draws for the White Knight (excluding items like the Lucky Charm, which are good for anyone) seem to be the Garb of Speed, Sacred Grail, and Crypt of the Knight, though the Gauntlets of Strength are necessary to get the most out of the Bane Sword (the T5/T3 horse being the best Move WK can get). For solo play, getting the Sacred Statue and Good Book with Make Whole, Peace, and Exorcism between them (having Peace on both is ideal) also helps immensely.

-Getting that Morningstar was a great idea.

-Gold is a bad VP if you like keeping your treasures.

And some questions I have where I'm having trouble finding the relevant spot in the rulebook to explain it again:

-Even up to a single sharpness star (which my armor negates), I seem immune to L damage, and I'm wondering why that is. By that point I had a couple layers of armor, so that may have contributed, not sure.

-Using my horse to maneuver seems to just make it so I don't take damage, and judging how enemy horses die when struck, I'm assuming that my massive T horse can only be killed if caught with T damage, and the T Armor (which I had at the time, it came with the horse) prevents anything from becoming T damage that isn't T already (since no NPC has two stars on an H), and naturally, I can just kill anything that does have T damage without it hitting. Is that about right?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I'm actually gonna have to bow out. I really wanted to play, so sorry about that :(

I'll be following the game though!

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

EclecticTastes posted:

And some questions I have where I'm having trouble finding the relevant spot in the rulebook to explain it again:

-Even up to a single sharpness star (which my armor negates), I seem immune to L damage, and I'm wondering why that is. By that point I had a couple layers of armor, so that may have contributed, not sure.

That would be rule 8.5.3:

quote:

8.5.3 Wounds: Each character must wound one active chit for each wound that was inflicted on him during this round. He gets one wound for each attack that inflicts Light or heavier harm on him, or Medium or heavier harm on his armor. He is not wounded by attacks that hit his horse. He can wound any action chits he has in play, including chits he played this round (see Rule 4.2.5). A transmorphized character cannot be wounded.

EclecticTastes posted:

-Using my horse to maneuver seems to just make it so I don't take damage, and judging how enemy horses die when struck, I'm assuming that my massive T horse can only be killed if caught with T damage, and the T Armor (which I had at the time, it came with the horse) prevents anything from becoming T damage that isn't T already (since no NPC has two stars on an H), and naturally, I can just kill anything that does have T damage without it hitting. Is that about right?

Warhorses are extremely powerful, they are Tremendous and armored and don't accumulate wounds. Two things to watch out for: horses are deactivated in cave clearings and tremendous monsters, even those who don't deal T harm, will lift you off your horse if they hit you.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

TheCog posted:

I'm actually gonna have to bow out. I really wanted to play, so sorry about that :(

I'll be following the game though!

No problem, let me know if you change your mind.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Corbeau posted:

I'm going to be super-busy all of this weekend, so maybe I should sit this one out.

It's going to take some time to get things set up so I wouldn't worry about it. I might ask you for your victory requirements and your first day's moves but that would be about it.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

disperse posted:

That would be rule 8.5.3:

Warhorses are extremely powerful, they are Tremendous and armored and don't accumulate wounds. Two things to watch out for: horses are deactivated in cave clearings and tremendous monsters, even those who don't deal T harm, will lift you off your horse if they hit you.

Ah, I see! I noticed the cave thing, but not the bit about Tremendous monsters (by the time I realized the true power of the Horse, I had the Cloak of Mist and Timeless Gem, so I was always able to gank the big guys before they could attack). Also, good to know Armor protects me from L damage, it'll make fighting goblins less daunting (though, I'll obviously want to keep a fast weapon on hand to deal with them). While I'm here, I kept poking around but Ctrl-F wasn't helping, the book mentions extra phases from horses, but I don't recall getting any extra phases from my horse, what's up with that?

Just, for the record, I played somewhere around ten straight months for the sake of exploring the board and getting to know the nuances of the system. Learned about some pitfalls (like how, even with the Magic Wand and Lucky Charm ensuring you roll 1, it's still a bad idea to transform yourself into a Dragon while carrying the Dragon Essence), got an idea of what enemies I should hunt and which treasures I should seek out for myself, along with what distribution of VP will work best for my playstyle. All in all I'm going in with a lot more confidence, though I'm sure a more experienced player could probably run circles around me. That's why I'm opting to play a mostly cooperative game, rather than going aggressive, that and I just prefer being chill and murdering dragons with some rad wizards and archers and stuff.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
How would this work? Would it be similar to a PBEM where we all submit turns once a week or whatever, or is it an all-online-at-once deal?

I just want to make sure before I say yes and then find out I can't make whatever time it is.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

EclecticTastes posted:

While I'm here, I kept poking around but Ctrl-F wasn't helping, the book mentions extra phases from horses, but I don't recall getting any extra phases from my horse, what's up with that?

Rule 7.3.2, Riding Horses covers it. Short version
  • Warhorses don't provide extra phases. Just enjoy your Tremendousness.
  • Workhorses let you record one extra phase a day.
  • Ponies let you record an extra move phase for each non-pony move phase you take.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Gutter Owl posted:

Rule 7.3.2, Riding Horses covers it. Short version
  • Warhorses don't provide extra phases. Just enjoy your Tremendousness.
  • Workhorses let you record one extra phase a day.
  • Ponies let you record an extra move phase for each non-pony move phase you take.

Yeah I'm good riding my T Horse, especially one that's Speed 3 (seriously Crypt of the Knight owns).

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

disperse posted:

So it looks like we have 8 players so far, 9 if Dimo ArKacho joins us, which is a pretty large game. I'm going to aim to get started this weekend. I'll be posting more regarding starting victory points, etc. over the next couple days.

I'm also gonna say yes to this, barring any unforseen b.s. I'll :black101: this poo poo.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Gutter Owl posted:

Also, I would like to point out this gross injustice. The Black Knight often spends his game griefing or killing anyone without a sufficiently large army or sufficiently pointy ears. And the Sorceror mostly burns down native dwellings for kicks. The Witch King is a stand-up ghost by comparison, and completely innocent.

This raises a good point, by the way. Sir Toffington would be happy to help The Witch Queen reform her evil ways, if she so chooses! :hist101: (I mean, you're already helping me out as it is)

But, maybe stay hidden around the Chapel...

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

This looks interesting. I'll try to read up on the rules today and pick a character. Probably something simple and smashy or maximum magic.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Dimo ArKacho posted:

I'm also gonna say yes to this, barring any unforseen b.s. I'll :black101: this poo poo.

I'm assuming :black101: refers to the Berserker and will dwarf assign you accordingly.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

LLSix posted:

This looks interesting. I'll try to read up on the rules today and pick a character. Probably something simple and smashy or maximum magic.

We're pretty much out of simple and smashy. The Captain is the last warrior character we have and he's more of a 'hire the Soldiers and sit back and command from a distance' kind of guy. The Sorcerer definitely qualifies for 'maximum magic' and isn't too complicated. You'll want to pick up Melt into Mist and Fiery Blast and find groups of goblins/wolves to blast from hiding before turning to mist and floating away. If the Sorcerer teams up with an armored character he can also take on native groups.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Dimo ArKacho posted:

How would this work? Would it be similar to a PBEM where we all submit turns once a week or whatever, or is it an all-online-at-once deal?

I just want to make sure before I say yes and then find out I can't make whatever time it is.

You'll submit orders and I'll run the turns after I receive them for all characters. I'm hoping for a frequency of somewhere between one turn a day and one turn a week depending on the complexity of the turn.

There's no need to all be online at the same time. I'm toying with the idea of using some sort of instant messaging client for battles, if I have quick questions while I'm running battles it may speed things up if I can message you.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

disperse posted:

We're pretty much out of simple and smashy. The Captain is the last warrior character we have and he's more of a 'hire the Soldiers and sit back and command from a distance' kind of guy. The Sorcerer definitely qualifies for 'maximum magic' and isn't too complicated. You'll want to pick up Melt into Mist and Fiery Blast and find groups of goblins/wolves to blast from hiding before turning to mist and floating away. If the Sorcerer teams up with an armored character he can also take on native groups.

To add to your advice to LLSix, a few things I noticed during my cram session:

-Schools IV and VI (the two the Sorceror specializes in) use Purple for casting pretty much exclusively (a single spell in VI uses Black).

-The Dragon Essence, an artifact that emits constant Purple to everyone in the same clearing as it, also acts as a constant spawn point for Dragons, making it dangerous.

-Sir Toffington is good at killing Dragons.

Come hang out with me and The Pilgrim, then all we need is a thiefy-type character like Woods Girl and we'll be a classic adventuring party! Sort of! :buddy:

I mean, we'll probably want to spread out a little while exploring, but it'll be much safer if we raid treasure sites together. We'll be able to kill anything that spawns rather than having to hide from the enemies that represent our respective weaknesses, which will let us spend more time looting. Plus, there's safety in numbers, which should help cover up our inexperience.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

disperse posted:

There's no need to all be online at the same time. I'm toying with the idea of using some sort of instant messaging client for battles, if I have quick questions while I'm running battles it may speed things up if I can message you.

If you've never tried Slack, it's a pretty nice irc alternative for these kinds of things. Clients on every platform and everyone has the entire chat history available regardless of online status at the time.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I think I'll go with the sorceror and try teaming up with EclecticTastes. If you can't trust the White Knight who can you trust?

If I understand the magic rules right I need 3 things to cast a spell.

1) The spell. I start with 3 and can learn more or acquire items that have spells in them. When I cast a spell, the spell is not used up.

2) A magic chit of the same type as the spell. The chit is used up/fatigued when the spell is cast?

3) A color magic chit of the same color as the spell. The color magic chit is fatigued when the spell is cast. Magic chit's can be converted into a matching color magic chit. Color magic chits can also come for free from enchanted areas/some sort of world magic pool but this is less(?) common.

Is that right? How many magic chits does the sorceror start with?

You get fatigue chips back by taking the rest action. So I imagine spellcasters usually spend half of their time resting to get their magic chits back.

Edit: I'm thinking fiery blast, melt into mist, and enchant artifact for starting spells. My understanding of Enchant artifact is that it basically lets me enchant an item, get one of the things I used to cast the spell back, and then I can cast that spell once a day forever through the artifact for a net gain of 1 additional chit free assuming I would have cast the spell I enchanted.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 30, 2016

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
My attempts to grasp these rules are not proceeding as planned but I'll get it eventually. It will involve avoiding combat like the plague.

Which, seems to be what the Witch wants to do anyway, and that was my first choice, so I'll get on board that.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

LLSix posted:

I think I'll go with the sorceror and try teaming up with EclecticTastes. If you can't trust the White Knight who can you trust?

1) The spell. I start with 3 and can learn more or acquire items that have spells in them. When I cast a spell, the spell is not used up.

2) A magic chit of the same type as the spell. The chit is used up/fatigued when the spell is cast?

3) A color magic chit of the same color as the spell. The color magic chit is fatigued when the spell is cast. Magic chit's can be converted into a matching color magic chit. Color magic chits can also come for free from enchanted areas/some sort of world magic pool but this is less(?) common.

You get fatigue chips back by taking the rest action. So I imagine spellcasters usually spend half of their time resting to get their magic chits back.

Edit: I'm thinking fiery blast, melt into mist, and enchant artifact for starting pells. My understanding of Enchant artifact is that it basically lets me enchant an item, get one of the things I used to cast the spell back, and then I can cast that spell once a day forever through the artifact for a net gain of 1 additional chit free assuming I would have cast the spell I enchanted.

Okay, I'll try fielding the questions, in order to help reinforce my own learning of the system.

1. Yeah, this is right. You can get more spells my Reading Runes at treasure sites or on spell-bearing artifacts (the latter action is required to unlock the spells in the items, as well, and you'll sometimes get a result where you both "Awaken" the spell, meaning unlocking it for the item, and Learning it at the same time, which gives the spell to you if you're able to cast it). Take care, as Reading Runes can cause you to get Cursed, but between you and the White magic casters backing you up, we'll have ways to break curses in the field fairly early. You can also buy new spells from certain Visitors, if they have something you could cast. Also, if you have Magic Sight active (such as from World Fades, the one spell from VI that requires Black magic), Searching can turn up a result of Perceive Spell, which lets you peep the spells on all artifacts and treasure sites in your clearing, and learn the spell instantly.

2. Yeah, the chit's used up, but you can Rest to get it back. Every artifact that comes with spells can be used as a Magic chit once per day for one of the schools it gives access to, which makes them quite useful, even for non-casters. I made good use of Transform in the Scroll of Alchemy (the School VI spell artifact) when slaughtering the Company single-handedly.

3. You can enchant chits for color magic, and yes, certain locations provide color magic (the Toadstool Circle provides Black once uncovered, while the Chapel provides White), and there's one artifact for each color that provides a constant amount of it to anyone in the same clearing (however, the Grey one has Tremendous weight, the Purple one has the aforementioned Dragon issues, the Gold one you can see in disperse's WIP and it's not pretty, and the Black one is suicidally bad, adding 1 to all rolls anyone in the same clearing makes, which basically means abandon it in a clearing with nothing important in it and never stay in that clearing again unless you really need to cast World Fades), and every seven days, the whole board gets hit with Gold, Purple, Grey, or both Black and White.

You start with six School IV chits of varying speeds (lower number next to the chit type means faster speed when used during combat) and three School VI, also with different speeds.

Technically, there's a way for the someone with School IV to temporarily change chits for IV and VI into chits for VIII and V (respectively, IV becomes VIII and VI becomes V), but it's far more useful for The Magician and The Witch Queen, who can actually learn spells of those other schools. I wouldn't worry about it, IV and VI are extremely powerful schools. Transform is particularly incredible if we can find the Magic Wand artifact (it lets the holder choose how one of the dice lands when they cause a magical effect with a random element, like Transform, so you can always turn enemies into helpless toads), but browse around, it gets pretty nuts.

One thing to keep in mind: Permanent spells last forever as long as there's color magic being pumped into them.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 30, 2016

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

LLSix posted:

Edit: I'm thinking fiery blast, melt into mist, and enchant artifact for starting spells. My understanding of Enchant artifact is that it basically lets me enchant an item, get one of the things I used to cast the spell back, and then I can cast that spell once a day forever through the artifact for a net gain of 1 additional chit free assuming I would have cast the spell I enchanted.

Yes, this is a very good summary of the spell rules. A couple things:

You can start with any of your type I - V spell chits enchanted into color magic (I = White, II = Grey, III = Gold, IV = Purple, V = Black).

When you cast a spell you fatigue both the magic chit used to cast it and the chit enchanted as color magic.

To get those two chits back you need to rest twice. To create the color magic again you need to record a spell prepare (SPX) action (to get all your magical paraphernalia set up) and a spell action (SP) to enchant the chit into color magic: a total of four phases.

Enchant artifact is an interesting spell. I haven't used it much. The main advantage of enchanting an artifact is it acts as a speed 0 magic chit when casting the spell that never fatigues. You still need a source of color magic to cast the spell.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

LLSix joins us as the Sorcerer and TheNabster nabs the Witch.

To get things rolling I'll need the following information:

Victory point assignment:

You'll need to assign 5 points among the following categories:

• Great Treasures: You need to find one great treasure for each point assigned to this category. This can be one of the more difficult requirements to fulfill. Less than 1 out of 4 treasure cards are considered great treasures. I suggest, at most, one point in this category.
  • Spells: If Great Treasures are the 2nd hardest category to fulfill, Spells are the hardest category to fulfill. For each point assigned to this category you need to learn two spells. Spells can be learned from spellbooks or artifacts and from certain treasure sites (the Shrine, Statue, and Altar).
  • Fame: You gain fame from killing monsters and from certain treasure cards. For each point assigned to this category you need to accumulate 10 fame. Monster hunters should invest heavily here.
  • Notoriety: You gain notoriety from killing monsters and natives or from certain treasure cards. For each point assigned you need to accumulate 20 notoriety. You gain equal amounts of fame and notoriety for killing monsters so pure monster hunters should assign twice the number of victory points in fame as notoriety. (2 points in fame for each point in notoriety)
  • Gold: You gain gold from looting treasures and items and selling them to native groups. For each point assigned to this category you need to accumulate 30 gold pieces. In addition, you need to pay back the cost of your starting equipment. All characters start with 10 gold coins and would need 40 at the end of the game to complete a 1 point goal in gold. The White Knight, for instance, needs 67 (27 for starting equipment + 10 starting gold + 30 for the victory point)

Starting spells:

If you are a spellcaster. Also, what magic chits (of type I - V) you want to start the game enchanted as color magic.

Starting location:

You'll find the options on your character card. You may want to coordinate your starting location with other characters you may want to work with.

Where you want to take your starting equipment from:

This is only important if you start with equipment like breastplates, shields, and helmets that can be taken from multiple native groups.

Your preferred method for instant communication: (Google Hangouts, Skype, Email, Carrier Pigeon, etc.) Don't put your contact info here, I'll ask you to PM it to me later.

disperse fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 30, 2016

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

disperse posted:

[*]Fame: You gain fame from killing monsters and from certain treasure cards. For each point assigned to this category you need to accumulate 10 fame. Monster hunters should invest heavily here.
[*]Notoriety: You gain notoriety from killing monsters and natives or from certain treasure cards. For each point assigned you need to accumulate 20 notoriety. You gain equal amounts of fame and notoriety for killing monsters so pure monster hunters should assign twice the number of victory points in fame as notoriety. (2 points in fame for each point in notoriety)

I recall that a ton of Treasures give negative Fame while comparatively few give negative Notoriety, though, so they won't likely be perfectly equal. Plus more Treasures give Notoriety than Fame.

Also, if you want to accumulate gold quickly, the Bashkars have a ton of horses and literally can't harm anyone with a warhorse and suit of armor. You can solo them without taking a single wound, or even fatiguing a chit if you get lucky and match the tactic. It'll take a while, but still, aim for BHQ and the horses are yours. Horses are worth a ton of cash compared to most items, you see, so you can loot them all and then go sell them to your preferred group of other Natives for a sickening profit. Though, make sure they've summoned the Warlock already first, so you don't block him from getting on the board.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Did I miss the map? Don't we need that before we can choose starting area, etc.?

I've got PMs, email, irc as rapid communication options that generally work.

Bouquet fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 30, 2016

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

1 Great Treasure
1 Spell
2 Fame
1 Notoriety

Starting spells:

I'll start with two type V chits as black magic.

>Absorb Essence (V)
>Broomstick (V)
>Remedy (VIII)

Starting location:

In starting at the Inn, it's my only starting area.

N/A

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 3, 2016

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I sent my VPs via PM since I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be secret. Anyway, I will start in The Chapel and my starting spell will be Make Whole, no enchanted chits because that's just a waste. My starting gear only comes from the one place, so no choices there.

TheNabster posted:

Starting spells:

My starting set of stats don't have any magic stats to them, do I still do this?

The Witch begins play with three spells of Schools II, V, and/or VIII. You can only generate Grey or Black with your current chits, though you can use the Witch's Brew spell to convert your II chits into IV chits with which to generate Purple, and your VIII chits into III chits with which to generate Gold. You could theoretically cast spells from school III or IV with those chits, but you'd need Treasures with the relevant spells and it would take two chits, one for color, one for casting. Basically Witch's Brew is not really a "starter" spell but it can be invaluable once you pick up a wide variety of magic, as II and VIII use several colors. Now, I can't tell you for sure what three spells to pick, but here are some thoughts on the magic available to you, based on my newbie experience:

-Prophecy is amazing on paper, I got the Timeless Gem while playing in Realmspeak, it has the same "do your turn in real time" effect and it's rad as gently caress. However, it costs Purple, so it's not a practical spell for The Witch.

-Blend into Background looks like a great defensive measure, giving you a free bonus Hide attempt in a pinch, while Stones Fly looks like a great way to clear out lots of smaller enemies, and it can wound the hell out of a single Character, assuming they're unarmored.

-GET ABSORB ESSENCE. I can say that confidently because Disperse put it right there in the description. Plus it lets you tool around in a monster body and have good combat stats.

-Broomstick greatly increases your mobility, letting you move between hexes in one action, though it prevents you from taking anything too heavy along with you and I'm pretty sure being in a big monster's body prevents you from using it.

-Power of the Pit can do horrible things to opposing characters, but rolling a result of Blight is, I believe, instant death for you, and NPC enemies aren't as vulnerable to it. I wouldn't, if I were you.

-Bad Luck is the ultimate dick move, but also a good way to paint a target on your forehead.

-Deal with Goblins can net you some fairly pesky allies that can at least serve as chaff while you find a way to cheese it, but you'll need cash to hire them.

-Guide Spider or Octopus relies on monsters that aren't especially common, as far as I'm aware, but the Tremendous ones can both put some serious hurt on if used properly.

-Poison is probably useful if you want to make heavy use of hired Goblins, but that sounds like a tricky gimmick strategy that wouldn't be friendly for new players.

-Remedy is good for mitigating the ill effects of Reading Runes, especially since The Order doesn't like you (and they live at The Chapel, making it dangerous for you to be there), and you can cast it on your allies, if you choose to have any.

-Whistle for Monsters can be used as a dick move to mess with other players, or, if you're in a party or just confident in your skills, you can summon monsters to where you are and your team can murder them without having to roam around hunting.

If I had to make a suggestion, like, gun to my head, I would say Absorb Essence, Remedy, and Blend into Background. Maybe Broomstick instead of Remedy for a more proactive build rather than defensive, but then your VIII chits are going to waste.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Spells: 1 points (need 2 spells)
Fame: 2 points
Notoriety: 2 points
Gonna kill monsters and learn all the spells.

Starting spells:

Fiery blast, melt into mist, and enchant artifact.

5 school IV chits enchanted as a magic chit please.
This leaves me with the fastest chit to cast my basic attack spell with. I'll have to rest casting it once, but I think I'll save time in the long run by refreshing fatigued magic chips and still having some color chits ready.

Starting location:

Inn.
The Sorceror doesn't get a choice.

N/A

Your preferred method for instant communication:
PM, email, IRC

LLSix fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 1, 2016

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Bouquet posted:

Did I miss the map? Don't we need that before we can choose starting area, etc.?

I've got PMs, email, irc as rapid communication options that generally work.

You need to choose your starting location before seeing the location of the dwellings.

(In a face-to-face game you'd make the map before choosing characters but you don't see the starting locations of the dwellings until after you assign VP and starting location.)

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Victory Points
Fame 2
Notoriety 2
Gold 1

Starting Spells
Fiery Blast
Melt Into Mist
World Fades
Broomstick

Start me with my sisters.

With this many potential enemies, I think I'll try a Mist build instead of an Absorb Essence build. There's little point in turning into a Dragon if the White Knight wants my skull.

EDIT: Oops, almost forgot. Start with IV3, IV4, IV4, V2, V3, V3 enchanted.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 31, 2016

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

I edited the initial post to include the optional and 3rd edition rules I will be using for this game. I am not using seasons or weather for this game.

White Knight and Black Knight please note that I will be using the Knight's Adjustment rule. This means that you are Friendly, not Allied, with the Order and Company respectively. Don't worry, you're still among the most powerful characters in the game.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

TheNabster posted:

I'm assuming due to my skill set, that I'll want points in great treasure and magic, so that is about 2 points but what else would you recommend?

Starting spells:

EDIT: On Ecletic Taste's suggestions

>Adsorb Essence (V)
>Blend into Background (II)
>Remedy (VIII)

Starting location:

N/A

Blend into Background is not a good spell. It's a day spell which means you need to cast it each day to get the benefit. You're trading one rest and two spell phases (to re-enchant grey magic) for one extra Hide phase.

I'd suggest Broomstick, Poison, or Guide Spider or Octopus instead.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

LLSix posted:

Spells: 2 points (need 4 spells)
Fame: 2 points
Notoriety: 1 points
Gonna kill monsters and learn all the spells.

Starting spells:

Fiery blast, melt into mist, and enchant artifact.

4 school IV chits enchanted as a magic chit please.
This leaves me with the two fastest chits to cast spells with and gives me enough color magic for my basic attack that hopefully I won't need to re-enchant any time soon.

1 school VI chit enchanted as a magic chit please.
This is a hard choice since I have two spells of this school, so I really want two magic chits so I can cast both. Unfortunately I've got an odd number of chits so that leaves me hoping to get a source of color magic for the second cast. Not good odds of that happening I think, but better odds then the 0% chance that I'll spontaneously get a second school VI chit if I went with two color chits.

Starting location:

Inn.
The Sorceror doesn't get a choice.

N/A

Your preferred method for instant communication: (Google Hangouts, Skype, Email, Carrier Pigeon, etc.) Don't put your contact info here, I'll ask you to PM it to me later.
PM, email, IRC

Spoilered advice regarding VP choices: I'd recommend taking 1 VP in spells at most the Sorcerer can only learn type IV and type VI spells which are hard to find. You can spend gold to learn one of each from the Warlock if you can find him. But other than that you are looking for one of two spell books or one of two artifacts out of 70+ treasures spread across the board. Take more Notoriety, if you team up with an armored character like the Black Knight or Amazon then you can Fiery Blast native groups for lots of Notoriety.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

TheNabster posted:

I'm assuming due to my skill set, that I'll want points in great treasure and magic, so that is about 2 points but what else would you recommend?

Starting spells:

EDIT: On Ecletic Taste's suggestions

>Adsorb Essence (V)
>Blend into Background (II)
>Remedy (VIII)

Starting location:

N/A

Advice for VP choices, take at most 1 in Great Treasures, and I'd suggest 1 at most in spells. You can safely take Fame and Notoriety, once you've absorbed a tremendous troll you can use its form to wipe out groups of natives and heavy or lighter monsters. 1 great treasure, 1 spell, 2 fame, 1 notoriety if you want a challenge.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

EDIT: Oops, almost forgot. Start with IV4, IV4, V3, V3 enchanted.

disperse posted:

Blend into Background is not a good spell. It's a day spell which means you need to cast it each day to get the benefit. You're trading one rest and two spell phases (to re-enchant grey magic) for one extra Hide phase.

BiB is pretty much only useful if cast off the Scroll of Nature or Eye of the Idol treasure, because the Scroll/Eye acts as an unexhaustible II-chit. Then you only need to spend a grey magic, which you can get for "free" in any Valley, the Crag, the Ruins, or Borderlands 1&6 by enchanting the tile.

You might make an argument for combining Blend into Background with Enchant Artifact to create a Blend on a Stick. But you'd need some constant source of both Purple magic (to energize Enchant Artifact) and Grey magic (to cast Blend into Background), all to create a mediocre Cloak of Mist.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I'm just glad I got two out of three right, figured you guys would correct me on the other stuff.

So, thus far it looks like Andarel and LLSix are joining Team Jolly Co-operation:darksouls:! I also put out an open invitation to almost everyone else, particularly Bacon In A Wok because then we got the D&D party make-up going, but the other casters are also welcome to hide behind me while I murder up some enemies (though the Berserker, Dwarf, and Black Knight need friends, too). Naturally, to the Black Knight I issue only a "Good luck" and a "May the best knight win".

Team strategy notes:

-My first order of business is getting the Morningstar. If I roll well, I'll get x1 on the price and just buy it outright, but getting x2 is fine, I'll just trade in my Greatsword. I require the 3 Speed if I'm gonna kill big enemies consistently (a lot of big enemies are Speed 4). This means I'll want to spend at least a couple phases in the Chapel Trading before setting out, to ensure I get that decent roll.

-If I do get the x1 price, The Pilgrim can borrow my Greatsword whenever he wants. Figure he won't want to carry it all the time since he's got a lot of Medium chits, but if we're expecting big, slow company, having both of us well-armed would be useful. On the other hand, if he decides to buy the Great Axe from The Order instead, I'll carry it for him when he's not using it if he wants. Also, any other H-coded treasure, I'm happy to carry for my lighter allies.

-My personal request for The Pilgrim's starting spell is Exorcism. I love Peace, but I'd rather have it on the Good Book/Sacred Statue since it's the sort of spell I'd want to see a lot of. It may seem like hoping for specific treasures is a long shot, but with so many people on the board, it stands to reason that the various groups will each raid different treasure sites, and then we can all trade with each other to get the treasures we want the most.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

The Dwarf
Start at: Guard house

PMing victory points.

I'll provide the contrast with the cooperators, since the Inn seems mighty full already and no one else can start at the Guard House.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Black Knight

Starts at: Inn

I don't have PMs, so
Victory Points:
Notoriety: 2
Fame: 2
Great Treasures: 1

I'll take my equipment from the Company.

If anyone doesn't want to side with Sir Vanilla, I'd welcome some comrades in arms. Note that we'll be picking up some native friends as well, if all goes as planned.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

disperse posted:

Spoilered advice regarding VP choices: I'd recommend taking 1 VP in spells at most the Sorcerer can only learn type IV and type VI spells which are hard to find. You can spend gold to learn one of each from the Warlock if you can find him. But other than that you are looking for one of two spell books or one of two artifacts out of 70+ treasures spread across the board. Take more Notoriety, if you team up with an armored character like the Black Knight or Amazon then you can Fiery Blast native groups for lots of Notoriety.

I was thinking that the two books both have 4 spells and I'd probably either get one of those and learn 4 spells or I wouldn't get any spells learned at all. I'll take your advice though and edit my post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

EDIT: Oops, almost forgot. Start with IV3, IV4, IV4, V2, V3, V3 enchanted.

Changed my mind here. Playing around with this build in Realmspeak, learned that it's better to start with more chits enchanted, since I'm doing a lot of perma-spellcasting on night 1.

• Locked thread