Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Sorry for delay, crazy busy this weekend. I'll get everything in in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Aw, poo poo, I'm sad I missed this starting up (but not really, my time's short for a while) but I'm definitely going to watch. It looks wonderfully impenetrable.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Stelas posted:

Aw, poo poo, I'm sad I missed this starting up (but not really, my time's short for a while) but I'm definitely going to watch. It looks wonderfully impenetrable.

Hey, now, if you binge Realmspeak for twelve hours straight, constantly reloading when something goes horribly wrong so you don't have to start over from scratch, you'll have picked up the basics, no sweat. :shepicide:

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Stelas posted:

It's not too late* to grab the Wizard and join the Dwarf in delving too deep. I have very little clue so I won't care if you screw up!

* May actually be too late??

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

At the moment I can't promise I'll have the time to dedicate to it, so I'll stay out, but thanks! On the other hand

EclecticTastes posted:

Hey, now, if you binge Realmspeak for twelve hours straight, constantly reloading when something goes horribly wrong so you don't have to start over from scratch, you'll have picked up the basics, no sweat. :shepicide:

this will probably happen either way

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

Bouquet posted:

It's not too late* to grab the Wizard and join the Dwarf in delving too deep. I have very little clue so I won't care if you screw up!

* May actually be too late??

Nope, not too late. Scroll up and find the post where I ask for the starting info (victory points, starting location, etc.) The Dwarf will definitely appreciate having Gandalf as a guide when delving in Moria.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Unfortunately, though I'd love to be in these next 2-3 weeks are going to be absurdly busy for me and I don't think I'll be able to make moves at any reasonable rate. If I get some time I can try and help with rules stuff but other than that I'll probably need to bow out.

Sorry :(

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

Andarel posted:

Unfortunately, though I'd love to be in these next 2-3 weeks are going to be absurdly busy for me and I don't think I'll be able to make moves at any reasonable rate. If I get some time I can try and help with rules stuff but other than that I'll probably need to bow out.

Sorry :(

No problem, happy to have you participate in any way you have time for.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

LLSix posted:

4 school IV chits enchanted as a magic chit please.
This leaves me with the two fastest chits to cast spells with and gives me enough color magic for my basic attack that hopefully I won't need to re-enchant any time soon.

1 school VI chit enchanted as a magic chit please.
This is a hard choice since I have two spells of this school, so I really want two magic chits so I can cast both. Unfortunately I've got an odd number of chits so that leaves me hoping to get a source of color magic for the second cast. Not good odds of that happening I think, but better odds then the 0% chance that I'll spontaneously get a second school VI chit if I went with two color chits.

You can enchant type IV spell chits into purple magic but type VI spell chits do not turn into color magic.

I - White, II - Grey, III - Gold, IV - Purple, V - Black

Type VI, VII, and VIII spell chits cannot be enchanted into color magic.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

TheNabster posted:

Victory point assignment:

1 Great Treasure
1 Spell
2 Fame
1 Notoriety

Starting spells:

EDIT: On Ecletic Taste's suggestions

>Adsorb Essence (V)
>Broomstick (V)
>Remedy (VIII)

Starting location:

In starting at the Inn, it's my only starting area.

Where you want to take your starting equipment from:

N/A

This all looks good, but you should start with some magic chits enchanted into color magic, this will save you spell phases in the game. I suggest having two type II chits enchanted as grey magic and one or two type V chits enchanted as black magic.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

We're still waiting on victory points and starting location from:

Dimo ArKacho the Berserker,
Corbeau the Amazon, and
Bacon In A Wok the Woods Girl

Let me know if I missed your post and if you have any questions about starting victory points, etc.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

disperse posted:

You can enchant type IV spell chits into purple magic but type VI spell chits do not turn into color magic.

I - White, II - Grey, III - Gold, IV - Purple, V - Black

Type VI, VII, and VIII spell chits cannot be enchanted into color magic.

Oh, I see. My type VI spells use purple magic too. Hmm, guess I'll enchant all but one of my type IV chits then and expect to rest to refresh them before casting a second fiery blast. I'll be hanging out with other players so that might work well.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Disperse, can I make a last minute VP change? To Fame 3, Notoriety 2, Gold 0.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

LLSix posted:

Oh, I see. My type VI spells use purple magic too. Hmm, guess I'll enchant all but one of my type IV chits then and expect to rest to refresh them before casting a second fiery blast. I'll be hanging out with other players so that might work well.

I would recommend leaving both of your IV3 chits available, they're your fastest spellcasting chits, allowing you to undercut all of the enemies I'll be seeking out. And without The Pilgrim, we'll need to be pretty careful until we can find the Sacred Grail, Sacred Statue, and Good Book to give me full access to White Magic, at which point things will become much easier. If we get the Dragon Essence, that will also make things a lot easier, as you'll be free to use all of your Magic chits for casting. I'll carry the Dragon Essence, at least until I can cast Exorcise, since the Essense provides Purple magic to everyone in the clearing, and, if you carry it, any Permanent spells you cast on yourself will be literally permanent, because the only way to turn such spells off is to deprive them of their color, or cast one of a couple spells that dispel magic. Like, if you were to cast Melt into Mist on yourself while carrying the Dragon Essence, you'd be stuck as mist until I could cast Exorcise. With me carrying it, you can just spend a turn in a different clearing. I think.

Anyway Bacon In A Wok and/or Corbeau, wanna join Team Jolly Co-operation?

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014
Sorry for the delay. (Ask me about the ten hours of work I did this weekend for a year-end deliverable that didn't exist last Thursday!)

Victory points:
Great Treasures 1
Fame 2
Notoriety 1
Gold 1

Starting Spell is the ever-reliable Control Bats, and Starting Location will be the Inn, because gently caress facing off against the Soldiers on Day 1.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

disperse posted:

This all looks good, but you should start with some magic chits enchanted into color magic, this will save you spell phases in the game. I suggest having two type II chits enchanted as grey magic and one or two type V chits enchanted as black magic.

Just out of interest, where can I find what I actually start with in the rulebook. I'm a bit confused on what I actually have available starting out.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

Disperse, can I make a last minute VP change? To Fame 3, Notoriety 2, Gold 0.

Not a problem.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

TheNabster posted:

Just out of interest, where can I find what I actually start with in the rulebook. I'm a bit confused on what I actually have available starting out.

What you start with is on your character card, immediately above your trading relationships (Ally, Friendly, etc.), in italics, right after "Must start at the Inn".

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

TheNabster posted:

You can find this on your character card or page 102 in the rulebook. Ignore the development levels, we aren't playing a development game so you start will all chits and the spells listed next to "Witch."

The Witch starts with nothing but 10 gold coins, and 3 spells.

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014

disperse posted:

You can find this on your character card or page 102 in the rulebook. Ignore the development levels, we aren't playing a development game so you start will all chits and the spells listed next to "Witch."

The Witch starts with nothing but 10 gold coins, and 3 spells.

Just to expand/clarify on this slightly - 'nothing' does not equate to 'unarmed'. Every character is assumed to have a dagger to fight with if absolutely necessary - doing the same damage as whatever Fight chit you play, plus Sharpness against unarmored enemies.

(It is a lousy excuse for a weapon, mind you - the Witch should avoid combat unless+until her magic gives her firepower. But it is a weapon.)

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Bacon In A Wok posted:

Just to expand/clarify on this slightly - 'nothing' does not equate to 'unarmed'. Every character is assumed to have a dagger to fight with if absolutely necessary - doing the same damage as whatever Fight chit you play, plus Sharpness against unarmored enemies.

(It is a lousy excuse for a weapon, mind you - the Witch should avoid combat unless+until her magic gives her firepower. But it is a weapon.)

If you want a more fight capable friend, the Black Knight has yet to gather any allies. Come aboard the native recruitment train!

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

LeSquide posted:

If you want a more fight capable friend, the Black Knight has yet to gather any allies. Come aboard the native recruitment train!

The witch and black knight are natural allies, being allied and friendly with the company respectively.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Urgh just count me out, I'm still not in any shape to be tackling an incredibly complex game right now. Shouldn't have signed up.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Corbeau posted:

Urgh just count me out, I'm still not in any shape to be tackling an incredibly complex game right now. Shouldn't have signed up.

Not a problem, come back and participate when you have time!

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Our final cast of characters are:

• White Knight: ElecticTastes
  • Dwarf: Bouquet
  • Black Knight: LeSquide
  • Woods Girl: Bacon In A Wok
  • Sorcerer: LLSix
  • Witch Queen: Gutter Owl
  • The Witch: TheNabster

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

And here is the starting map:

The White Knight is all alone to the north in Awful Valley,
the Witch Queen is a bit further south with her sisters, the ghosts, in Curst Valley,
the Black Knight, Woods Girl, Sorcerer, and Witch are all crowded together in the Inn at Dark Valley
and the Dwarf is just to the south-east of the Inn in the Guardhouse at Bad Valley.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

You can find the HTML export of the starting board here.

Please take a look and let me know if I got anything wrong with regards to your starting status.

You may start planning your day 1 moves now!

Please PM me your Day 1 Moves. Also, if you haven't already, send me your Google Hangouts or Skype handle in case I need to contact you quickly to clarify anything. Don't worry, I'll use it sparingly.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Is that chit in the borderland in a connection between clearings? Could that be a treasure chit or is it guaranteed to be monsters because of where it is placed?

Bacon In A Wok: Want to try for that possible treasure chit in Lindenwoods 2 borderlands with me?

edit: thank you\/

LLSix fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 3, 2016

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

LLSix posted:

Is that chit in the borderland in a connection between clearings? Could that be a treasure chit or is it guaranteed to be monsters because of where it is placed?

Bacon In A Wok: Want to try for that possible treasure chit in Lindenwoods 2 clearing with me?

Realmspeak just places the facedown chits on a semirandom part of the tile until they're actually revealed. Once they're revealed, they'll move to their new homes.

Also, woods* and valley spaces will never ever hold treasure sites. Those are always found on tiles with six clearings. At best, the woods will contain a campfire. At worst, snakes.

(The Deep Woods tile is an exception. It's technically a "mountain" hex for chit-placement purposes, though it's still a Woods tile for the Woods Girl's special ability.)

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Woods Girl, dear Woods Girl. How you long for the heart of the forest, for the deepest woods of the realm. The path to such a destiny is so long and bitter, and your supposed friends will be no aid.

But I, I who grew with the rocks of this land, I who midwifed the trees of this soil. I know the secret ways that mere men have forgotten.

Meet me in the northmost Linden Woods. I beg a simple alms--coin enough to cover the eyes of five corpses. For this, I will pierce bough and bramble, and show you home.

(Nevermind, misread the paths, looks like you can get to the Deep Woods just fine via the Curst Valley. Ignore me.)

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 3, 2016

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Bacon in a Wok, LLSix, and TheNabster please PM me your day one moves.

Thanks!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

disperse posted:

Thanks!

I was waiting on Bacon in a Wok. Orders sent. Since I'm not friendly with any dudes at the inn I guess I'll go pick a fight solo and see what happens.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Just waiting on Bacon in a Wok to submit orders for day 1.

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014

disperse posted:

Thanks!
So yeah, about that...

Hire, Hire, Hire, Hide.

For the first two Hire actions, only accept if Pricex3 or less is rolled.
If I reach the third Hire action and have hired no Rogues, accept Pricex4.

Good enough?

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Day 1 Results:

The Witch Queen goes first, bids a eerie farewell to her sisters, the ghosts, and floats off to haunt Linden Woods. An immature viper, about three feet long, hisses at her and slithers off into the woods. The adult vipers are nowhere to be seen.
Move (Curst Valley 2), Move (Linden Woods 4), Hide (Successful), Hide

The Witch's Familiar goes next, reluctantly leaving her warm spot by the fire, she slinks off to Borderlands spying and reporting back to the Witch.
Move (Borderlands 2), Peer, Move (Borderlands 3), Peer (Finds clues and paths)

The Witch stays behind after kicking her cat out the door and prepares some black magic for the night, speaks briefly with the rogue's leader about their goods, and then makes herself scarce for the rest of the night.
Alert (Magic V4*), Hide (Failed), Hide (Succeeded), Trade (Price x3, declined)

The White Knight stays a while at the Chapel, negotiating. He trades his great sword for a morningstar that catches his eye and then heads off into Pine Woods. He smells smoke and glimpses the flickering light of a small campfire through the trees but there doesn't seem to be a path that leads to the clearing.
Trade (Price x2, trades great sword for morningstar for 6 gold), Trade (Price x2, declined), Move Pine Woods 2, Move Pine Woods 4

The Black Knight marches off into Borderlands searching for treasure and then spends some time concealing himself in preparation for the evening. He hears the flutter of bat wings sees one very large and dangerous looking bat in the distance.
Move (Borderlands 2), Search (locate, finds chits, none to discover), Hide (Succeeded), Hide

The Sorcerer leaves the Inn next, pushing deeper in to Borderlands than the Black Knight but also making sure to be well hidden before night falls. The cat hisses and arches her back as the giant bat, seeing movement, flutters over to where the Sorcerer lies in hiding.
Move (Borderlands 2), Move (Borderlands 3), Hide (Succeeded), Hide

The Woods Girl spends the day trying to hire the rogues. The rogues aren't quite sure what to make of this lady of the woods, all dressed in green but, by the end of the day, she manages to convince two swordsmen to join her. (Good rolls here at the end of the day! 1,2 and 1,2.)
Hire (No Deal), Hire (No Deal), Hire (Price x3, hires R7), Hire (Price x3, hires R6)

The Dwarf spends the day trying to purchase an extra helmet from the Guard, unsuccessfully.
Trade (Price x4, declined), Trade (Price x4, declined)

Evening orders:
The Sorcerer is hidden in a clearing with a Giant Bat.
The Witch is hidden at the Inn.
The Woods Girl is unhidden at the Inn.

Let me know if you want to cast any spells or engage in any combat.

disperse fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 5, 2016

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

disperse posted:

Day 1 Results:
The Witch Queen goes first, bids a eerie farewell to her sisters, the ghosts, and floats off to haunt Linden Woods. An immature viper, about three feet long, hisses at her and slithers off into the woods. The adult vipers are nowhere to be seen.
Move (Curst Valley 2), Move (Linden Woods 4), Hide (Successful), Hide

Took me a while to parse what you meant here: I've found the Dank (W) warning chit, but no snakes have actually appeared, yeah? (Since the Monster Roll is clearly a 6 for Bats.)

I already sent my spell orders with my day orders, so go ahead and execute those.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

Took me a while to parse what you meant here: I've found the Dank (W) warning chit, but no snakes have actually appeared, yeah? (Since the Monster Roll is clearly a 6 for Bats.)

I already sent my spell orders with my day orders, so go ahead and execute those.

Yes, you got it. I'll post the final board state once the evening is over and then it will be clearer.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

This handy cheat sheet suggests the bat is too dangerous for me so I guess I'll let it be.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 5, 2016

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

LLSix posted:

This handy cheat sheet suggests the bat is too dangerous for me so I guess I'll let it be.

Yes, if you had an alerted type VI magic chit then you could fiery blast the bat from hiding and then melt into mist if the fiery blast misses.

As it is, if you fail to kill the bat, roughly a 1 in 3 chance, then you will be unable to cast your melt into mist spell and the bat will kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

disperse posted:

Yes, if you had an alerted type VI magic chit then you could fiery blast the bat from hiding and then melt into mist if the fiery blast misses.

As it is, if you fail to kill the bat, roughly a 1 in 3 chance, then you will be unable to cast your melt into mist spell and the bat will kill you.

I guess it's to late to use my spare spell phase to alert a type VI chit?

• Locked thread