Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
huh
This poll is closed.
Caldor 41 3.87%
Gimbel's 31 2.92%
Circuit City 67 6.32%
KB Toys (thansk Romney) 103 9.72%
Blockbuster Video 76 7.17%
Hollywood Video 64 6.04%
Kiddie City 24 2.26%
Service Merchandise 59 5.57%
Contemp Casuals 25 2.36%
Deb 29 2.74%
Kinney Shoes 26 2.45%
Steve and Barry's 30 2.83%
Sam Goody 60 5.66%
The Wall 33 3.11%
Eckerd Pharmacies 38 3.58%
Suncoast Video 69 6.51%
Roy Rogers 36 3.40%
Comp USA 100 9.43%
goku 149 14.06%
Total: 322 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
http://www.twice.com/news/retail/circuit-city-set-return-spring/60261

Well, that certainly is something.

It raises several questions such as:
  • What will Best Buy do to compete?
  • What will CircuitCity.com Direct to?
  • Why is Circuit City returning?

Share your stories of Circuit City.

Or make this thread a place to post about stores that no longer exist, but you really miss. I was only in a Circuit City twice. But this store I miss!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Also, try not to vote for more than one retail establishment that you miss! I accidentally made this a CHECKBOX poll? :*

I miss Contempo Casuals the most! Such sassy clothes for such succulent prices!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
And yet Radio Shack continues to shuffle on into eternity.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
So basically you're saying to short Circuit City's stock? okay

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

hmm yes lets reopen in a dying market that we've already failed once in what could possibly go awry

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
no radio shack in the poll? what the gently caress

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Incredible Universe

Separate rooms for game systems was p cool. Getting to go try out the Jaguar, 3DO, Philips CDi, Neo Geo, etc was always fun.

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 27, 2016

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Shameful lack of Tower Records in this poll. Best place to get records, magazines and drug paraphernalia there ever was on this poor, blighted earth.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Can't see the poll in the app

Hope there's ultimate electronics.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

And yet Radio Shack continues to shuffle on into eternity.

and they must continue to do so. where else are you supposed to get little switches and resistors and poo poo? im not paying shipping for an ounce of electronics.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

It's all about Comp USA for sure.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

quote:

Shmoel acknowledged his goals are lofty, but has a seasoned, 20-person team in place to help execute them, including former RadioShack franchise personnel, expatriates from other major chains, and a retail aficionado in Liniado.

Oh boy, Circuit City and RadioShack teaming up to delivered unparalleled commercial failure!

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Incredible Universe

Separate rooms for game systems was p cool. Getting to go try out the Jaguar, 3DO, Philips CDi, Neo George, etc was always fun.

Mods rename me Neo George, thanks

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Voted Roy Rogers because I can still drive to one

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I don't like the fact most people think Nobody Beats the Wiz was made for Seinfeld

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X1yAoml8Us

For a few glorious years in the 90's they owned the NYC area (and briefly expanded throughout the Northeast)

And yes, Incredible Universe was the poo poo

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What the poo poo. The only place that sells motherfucking minidiscs.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Whoa whats the story with KB Toys

Also the poll is missing Software ETC before EB games bought them out then Gamestop bought them out

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Voted The Wall, because they had those little stickers that you put on the case of your tape or CD that showed that you bought it there. If it ever broke, even if it was because you stepped on it, they would replace it for free.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i liked fuddruckers :(

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Put Chipotle on there in anticipation. I love Chipotle but I fear it isn't much longer for this world.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Whoa whats the story with KB Toys

Also the poll is missing Software ETC before EB games bought them out then Gamestop bought them out

mitt romney's company was hired by kb toys to save them from going out of business. instead, mitt romney's company basically forced kb toys to pay to be run out of business, then mitt bought the remnants of kb toys off and sold whatever he could. then he drank blood straight from the heart of a new born goat because he's a loving piece of poo poo

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

shmoel? more like shmuck

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Dude Gimbels! Oldest Thanksgiving day parade gently caress Macy's.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Windows 98 posted:

Put Chipotle on there in anticipation. I love Chipotle but I fear it isn't much longer for this world.

Need to shut your whore mouth, don't you be mentioning this prospect!

Deb was a nice cheap place to get my GF clothes at, but theres plenty of other places I can be a cheap bastard at too I guess. :shrug:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Claven666 posted:

mitt romney's company was hired by kb toys to save them from going out of business. instead, mitt romney's company basically forced kb toys to pay to be run out of business, then mitt bought the remnants of kb toys off and sold whatever he could. then he drank blood straight from the heart of a new born goat because he's a loving piece of poo poo

hosed up

eldridge cleaver
Apr 11, 2015

by Lowtax
Terrible poll: Roy Rogers still exists, on the PA turnpike at least.

To serious post about Circuit City, how does anyone think this isn't doomed? This is almost exactly what RadioShack tried to be, and commissioned sales people are terrible. If you have to pay people to push poo poo, deep down, they'll know it's poo poo and their desperation to get you to buy what gets them paid will scare people away. Apple doesn't pay commission, and they get lots of sales and much more motivated people. I think not paying people leading to them selling things better is a pretty well studied part of cognitive dissonance, so why anyone does it mystifies me.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

dad gay. so what posted:

i liked fuddruckers :(

Still alive and kicking in my town (my town sucks)

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Should rename circuit city to Phoenix

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

lol, they want millennials to go to their store to shop online for electronics.

quote:

The stores themselves will range from 2,000 to 4,000 square feet, and will feature product zones that present the assortment by category and brand. Targeted directly at millennials, the mix will include pre- and postpaid smartphones, as well as tablets, notebooks, wearables, networking equipment, gaming products, headphones, drones, 3D printers, health appliances, and DIY devices, all supplemented by a service desk, electronic price tags and touchscreen terminals that link customers with what is envisioned as a million-SKU selection online.

Also the image of their store is pretty much just Radio Shack but with Circuit City instead.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

eldridge cleaver posted:

Terrible poll: Roy Rogers still exists, on the PA turnpike at least.

Dat Fixin's Bar

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
lol sounds good can't wait to go pick me up a compaq presario

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
It was a bit presumptuous to call a store a city, imo and it wasn't even made if circuits.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
bring back Crazy Eddie's, goddamnit

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

lol, they want millennials to go to their store to shop online for electronics.

quote:

The stores themselves will range from 2,000 to 4,000 square feet, and will feature product zones that present the assortment by category and brand. Targeted directly at millennials, the mix will include pre- and postpaid smartphones, as well as tablets, notebooks, wearables, networking equipment, gaming products, headphones, drones, 3D printers, health appliances, and DIY devices, all supplemented by a service desk, electronic price tags and touchscreen terminals that link customers with what is envisioned as a million-SKU selection online.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

the only reason i ever went to circuit city when they were around was for computer parts

same for radioshack

radioshack is a completely boring and worthless electronics store since they stopped catering to computer & radio nerds and it looks like the ~new~ circuit city's gonna be the same thing

so why even bother

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Incredible Universe

This was the best job I ever had. If I could go back and live forever in 1994, I would.

Fun Fact: Incredible Universe was owned by Tandy Corporation of Radio Shack fame.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't realize every Circuit City storefront was designed to look like a plug in an electrical outlet until they went out of business

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I went to a radio shack recently, it's like the phone kiosk at costco had their own store.

grope proof vest
Jan 11, 2006

RIP Media Play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

grope proof vest posted:

RIP Media Play

Media Play was amazing. They even had a kiosk where you could play Sega Channel online against other people

• Locked thread