Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Streaming again

http://twitch.tv/kilonum2 (content warning is due to song lyrics)

Nevermind, Comcast needs to get their poo poo together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texasmed
May 27, 2004
First time I got dinged in America for a right on red, I downloaded a no police, no fines mod. I always do that but it kinda pisses me off that they wouldn't allow for that on the game by default.

edit: The compression sucks, it really doesn't help anybody that it's increased over ETS. I think the best thing to take away from it is the potential for cross-country trips is big, and that we're still only driving in one or two (of the biggest) states right now.

texasmed fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 3, 2016

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

texasmed posted:

First time I got dinged in America for a right on red, I downloaded a no police, no fines mod. I always do that but it kinda pisses me off that they wouldn't allow for that on the game by default.

Rolling right on red should be a parameter but I think you have to come to a stop. Its very inconsistent. Also blew past a cop doing well over 80mph and no WOOP WOOP or speeding fine.

Cabover goodness:

Sounds great and gets up to speed in a hurry.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

gman14msu posted:

That's kind of a bummer. How long would a SF to LA trip take? Would that make an "eventual" coast to coast trip like an hour and 20 minutes? That seems pretty quick.

I just crunched the numbers and holy wow, that's 12 minutes between SF and LA if it really is 1:30 compression.

18 if you take the scenic route.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

PostEd logo doesn't have an arrow. 0/10

texasmed
May 27, 2004

HardDisk posted:

PostEd logo doesn't have an arrow. 0/10

I thought the same thing, reminded me to look for some brand mods in a couple days when the usually diligent modding community gets on it.

this is my favorite racing game

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
A friend of mine is doing a stream, messing around with a borrowed wheel and shifter rig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HQoyNv-cu8

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

FredMSloniker posted:

*interstate and weigh station words*

Just a small note about the interstate system. Roads running N/S are all even numbers while E/W are odd numbers.

It also it covers pretty well all the major populated parts of the US:

I also made 550+ mile trip this past weekend for PAX South and I love rest areas every 30 miles or so for letting me take naps to avoid killing myself by falling asleep while driving.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Has anyone else seen UFOs in this game? I was driving out north of las vegas at night, going through the desert and I saw two strange lights in the sky. They didn't move like aircraft, it was like something out of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. A little later I drove past what I assume is SETI, so I absolutely adore this easter egg.

also the character models in this game

are brilliant

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Kibner posted:

Just a small note about the interstate system. Roads running N/S are all even numbers while E/W are odd numbers.

You have that backwards, also doesn't apply to 3-digit roads, because those are offshoots ("spurs") of the main numbered routes and can go wherever the hell they want.

Too bad road numbers are mostly irrelevant in this game, because I think someone getting mad that there are two I-88s would be pretty funny.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I'm so weak... I just bought this.

I also own and have played many hours of Farming Simulator

Once the MP mod gets released I look forward to a goon convoy rolling through vegas, blaring 'The Gambler' over the radios

Also where can we stop for cheap hot snacks?

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Can't wait for South American Truck Simulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgRneVBkC_0

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Harminoff posted:

I got this wheel and while it is great it is also super loud with this game.

You can turn down or disable engine FFB (the thing that makes it constantly rattle) if the noise bothers you.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Meis posted:

Has anyone else seen UFOs in this game? I was driving out north of las vegas at night, going through the desert and I saw two strange lights in the sky. They didn't move like aircraft, it was like something out of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. A little later I drove past what I assume is SETI, so I absolutely adore this easter egg.

also the character models in this game

are brilliant

Steam images don't work on the forums, you gotta upload them to something else.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Sappo569 posted:

I'm so weak... I just bought this.

Once the MP mod gets released I look forward to a goon convoy rolling through vegas, blaring 'The Gambler' over the radios

The biggest disappointment about multiplayer is the lack of traffic. It's weird to drive on abandoned roads.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Just FYI: current leveling up advice in the OP stands, only in ATS, stop putting points into LD (at least for now) after the third one because the longest possible trip right now is only like 1,000mi

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Does anyone here have a steam controller and have issues with ATS? If I go to the BPM overlay then the controller completely disconnects and I have to restart the game. It also fails to load any configurations for the game. I can get it to work on first start but if I ever open the main menu it completely dies on me. It's only ATS that does this and it's really weird.

Edit: Apparently it's a known thing and supposedly causes the nonstop updating too.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 3, 2016

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Zenostein posted:

You have that backwards, also doesn't apply to 3-digit roads, because those are offshoots ("spurs") of the main numbered routes and can go wherever the hell they want.

Too bad road numbers are mostly irrelevant in this game, because I think someone getting mad that there are two I-88s would be pretty funny.

derp, thought I double checked that, too

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Looks like we got us a convoyyyeeee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN4XpIbEY-Y

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Kilonum posted:

Works for me. :shrug:

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Kilonum posted:

Yeah, I've been having this problem a lot lately. Steamgifts too. I don't know what's up with it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm finding the AI cars will loving plow into you regardless of how far you are into a turn. So I can get straightened out after making a turn only to hear a thud and the crash fine notice pop up because some idiot decided not to run right up the arse of the giant truck ahead of him.

Also this is my favourite road. Has America not discovered diggers to flatten out land before building?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Zenostein posted:

Only if the first digit is odd, if the first digit is even it's a loop of the road that's the last two digits. Some sort of super nerd came up with all the specific rules for interstate naming.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I can turn right on red without a ticket just fine and I ain't even a Yank and had no clue you guys had this traffic rule until it was mentioned in this thread :shrug:

njsykora posted:

I'm finding the AI cars will loving plow into you regardless of how far you are into a turn. So I can get straightened out after making a turn only to hear a thud and the crash fine notice pop up because some idiot decided not to run right up the arse of the giant truck ahead of him.
yeah this is pissing me off on some of these crappy junctions where everything seems to be crossing over everything else.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Rebel Blob posted:

Can't wait for South American Truck Simulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgRneVBkC_0

http://store.steampowered.com/app/263280/

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I anticipated some Euroisms creeping into ATS, and so far (based on the stream I'm watching, anyway), I've seen two. One is amusing (petrol station instead of gas station). The other is somewhat less so. Trying to make a left turn at a T intersection when the road you're turning onto doesn't have stop signs is obnoxious enough without said road having a speed limit of 80 miles an hour. And I know (or at least trust Google Maps) that the intersection between I-15 and California Highway 58 actually has ramps, and that ETS2 has a tile for that sort of thing. Once I actually get ATS for myself, I'm gonna start filing those things as bugs.

Can anyone who actually lives in one of the covered areas say if the lack of exit only lanes is also a Euro thing? I know that exit only lanes are pretty common in my neck of the woods, and I assumed most of the US could say the same.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
edit: I misread exit only lanes as merge lanes somehow. Oh well, I'll still leave this nonsense.

It's a CA thing. I live in NV and visit CA quite a bit. I'm always surprised at the total lack of merge lanes in CA. It explains why so many people cruise slowly in the left lanes in CA; the right lane is Thunderdome if traffic is merging.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

FredMSloniker posted:

I anticipated some Euroisms creeping into ATS, and so far (based on the stream I'm watching, anyway), I've seen two. One is amusing (petrol station instead of gas station). The other is somewhat less so. Trying to make a left turn at a T intersection when the road you're turning onto doesn't have stop signs is obnoxious enough without said road having a speed limit of 80 miles an hour. And I know (or at least trust Google Maps) that the intersection between I-15 and California Highway 58 actually has ramps, and that ETS2 has a tile for that sort of thing. Once I actually get ATS for myself, I'm gonna start filing those things as bugs.

Can anyone who actually lives in one of the covered areas say if the lack of exit only lanes is also a Euro thing? I know that exit only lanes are pretty common in my neck of the woods, and I assumed most of the US could say the same.

In the different places I've lived exit only lanes were super uncommon.(Ohio, SC, Hawaii)

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Is there a truck law about ten MPH lower than posted? I saw a sign for 65 but the limit on the GPS says 55.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

FredMSloniker posted:

Exit only lanes on the freeway? All over the place in Cali, usually only for offramps that lead to major roads though.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

njsykora posted:

Also this is my favourite road. Has America not discovered diggers to flatten out land before building?

Do you have any idea how many miles of road would need to be dug out? In the middle of a desert? Nobody got time for flattening out some state roads in the middle of nowhere.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

the right on red rule is pretty nice, but sometimes AI doing so don't give way properly. I'm assuming right on red has yield/stop sign rules? They should give way to traffic coming from the left? Because the AI will generally just plow straight into you while you're crossing an intersection on green if they're turning right. It's.. quite annoying. Same with AI occaisionally not realising you're there when lanes merge and smacking into the side of you.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Is there a truck law about ten MPH lower than posted? I saw a sign for 65 but the limit on the GPS says 55.

This is a thing in some places, at least when I lived in Texas some of the interstates would list "SPEED LIMIT: 70 TRUCKS: 60" or something similar. In fact there would be two different signs on one post.

edit: ^^^ holy poo poo this loving photoshop.

This is not the case in NC, as far as I know so it must be state law?

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 3, 2016

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Does right on red actually work in this game? I noticed people talking about it not working on the steam forums but they're not exactly the brightest bunch.

Edit: In TN I know trucks have a separate speed limit for interstates. They also have signs mandating trucks stay in the right lane on the big mountain roads. Speaking of, I can't wait for some mountain climbing.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

AnimalChin posted:

This is a thing in some places, at least when I lived in Texas some of the interstates would list "SPEED LIMIT: 70 TRUCKS: 60" or something similar.

This is not the case in NC, as far as I know so it must be state law?

I think it's on a road-by-road basis.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cowman posted:

Does right on red actually work in this game? I noticed people talking about it not working on the steam forums but they're not exactly the brightest bunch.

Not sure, but you have to come to a complete stop for it to be legal in real life.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Do cops get you for going at the speed limit for trucks, or cars?

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

I wish banks were as nice in real life as they are in this game.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So here is my trucker story irl;

My friend back in high-school's mom was dating a trucker, I remember coming over to listen to angry metal in his basement and Uncle Trucker had his cab parked on the grass

He smoked menthol's like they were going out of style (even after they were out of style) , had the worst teeth this side of the UK, and couldn't sit unless he had his donut cause of the hemorrhoids

Enjoy that mental image while you're cruisin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

njsykora posted:

Hilly roads are fun. 113 has some lovely roads like that, I had some serious nostalgia going down that bit of ATS. I used to think of them as car roller coasters as a kid. :allears: