Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The MLFB is apparently a spring-season Football league to begin play this year. THey are having a franchise draft right now with such powerhouses as Steven Garcia and Dan Lefevour!

They're selling tickets for teams in "8 under-served" cities with no MLB or NFL competition! Which cities? They aren't saying! But you can buy tickets!

They're totally different than the USFL, XFL, or FXFL!

Get hype for lovely spring ball, you guys! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Awe yeah.

Final pick is in!

https://twitter.com/MLFBofficial/status/692422478845591553

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
The rest of the draft is apparently tomorrow and Friday.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So what are the chances this is some sort of viral marketing thing?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pakled posted:

So what are the chances this is some sort of viral marketing thing?

like 90%

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I want to meet the people that are buying tickets having no idea where they're even going to play and have them walk me through that decision.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Here is a recap of the first round of the draft:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So I guess San Antonio is one of the cities? Also guessing they meant 30 second play clock.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

hahahahaha

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I wonder if any of those players are even aware of this league, much less that they've been drafted to it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

DJExile posted:

I wonder if any of those players are even aware of this league, much less that they've been drafted to it.

They do, well most I'd assume. A guy I know trains athletes and one of his athletes was told he was going to be drafted in this draft. He wouldn't say who though but the coach was Campo who told him.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

wandler20 posted:

They do, well most I'd assume. A guy I know trains athletes and one of his athletes was told he was going to be drafted in this draft. He wouldn't say who though.

Fair enough then. I can't wait to see the rest of this draft.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jesus christ it's literally a penny stock that's been traded since 2006. This is amazing

E: One team will be in orlando and play in the citrus bowl

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DJExile posted:

So I guess San Antonio is one of the cities? Also guessing they meant 30 second play clock.

This is literally MTV Rock 'N Jock Football.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DJExile posted:

jesus christ it's literally a penny stock that's been traded since 2006. This is amazing

goon project: buy controlling interest in MLFB

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Alaois posted:

goon project: buy controlling interest in MLFB

hell yesssss

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
put a team in Bangor, Maine and i'm in for this wild ride. i just want Maine to have a team of some sort that isn't the lovely baseball one

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

This is amazing. Can we please buy stock in it. I want to be The Collective Al Davis of The MLFB.

I really wanna know where each of the teams are.

I'll guess these:

San Antonio
Birmingham or Montgomery
Portland, OR
Little Rock
Des Moines
Billings
gently caress It, Anchorage

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

This is amazing. Can we please buy stock in it. I want to be The Collective Al Davis of The MLFB.

I'll guess these:

San Antonio
Birmingham or Montgomery
Portland, OR
Little Rock
Des Moines
Billings

One of the backgrounds of their powerpoint slides shows the Alamodome, and their only news link says one team's going to be in Orlando, so that's likely 2 of them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Slide Menu

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

I'll guess these:

San Antonio
Birmingham or Montgomery
Portland, OR
Little Rock
Des Moines
Billings

I feel like being within bus distance is important for a league like this. I bet they're all in the Southeast with nothing north of Nashville

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Thoguh posted:

I feel like being within bus distance is important for a league like this. I bet they're all in the Southeast with nothing north of Nashville

Alright, let's take another crack: San Antonio, Orlando, Birmingham, Jackson, Memphis, OKC, (break the rule a little) Louisville, St Louis.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Alright, let's take another crack: San Antonio, Orlando, Birmingham, Jackson, Memphis, OKC, (break the rule a little) Louisville, St Louis.

They don't want to compete with MLB, so maybe swap STL out for... somewhere in the carolinas? Otherwise I could see that happening.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

How do we get a :frogout: frog franchise?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

vyst posted:

How do we get a :frogout: frog franchise?

We have some templates for it here in toledo. When we built a new arena downtown, we were going to have an AF2 team, but the arena leagues folded before the arena was finished.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DJExile posted:

They don't want to compete with MLB, so maybe swap STL out for... somewhere in the carolinas? Otherwise I could see that happening.

How did the Nighthawks do? I could see Omaha getting a team.

On a related note why in the world do I remember what Omaha's UFL team was?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Because they had NFL legend JaMarcus Russell

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

remember the UFL

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ostentatious posted:

remember the UFL

I wonder how that would have stacked up on their little bullet point list

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Aahhaah Marc Bulger has a large investment into this

http://www.mlfbmedia.com/marc-bulger-joins-mlfbs-quarterback-advisory-team/

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The ground can cause a fumble ahahahaha this is gonna be such a poo poo show

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The ground can cause a fumble ahahahaha this is gonna be such a poo poo show

Fumbles might be the single most entertaining thing about football so if you're a new league trying to break in I get it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Bring Back The USFL

Trump's distracted, he can't ruin it again.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
They're also the easiest way to get someone killed going for a loose ball so I'm not so sure

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Football fields should have springs and trapdoors imo

Like that trampoline basketball that everyone likes for about a minute

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I have honest to god never heard of any of these head coaches

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

DJExile posted:

We have some templates for it here in toledo. When we built a new arena downtown, we were going to have an AF2 team, but the arena leagues folded before the arena was finished.

I am already a fan of the Toledo Bullfrogs.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

They're also the easiest way to get someone killed going for a loose ball so I'm not so sure

It would also be hard to argue unnecessary roughness if throwing the player against the ground so hard the ball pops out is suddenly a legal play

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

someone get JP Losman on the horn, time to win another ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Donkwich posted:

Football fields should have springs and trapdoors imo

Like that trampoline basketball that everyone likes for about a minute

SLAMBALL IS THE SPORT OF KINGS

• Locked thread