Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
They'd probably play at like ODU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
One of the teams took Georgia's second string kicker (who missed half his PATs) in like the 42nd round so I'm on board with this league now

They also misspelled his name. It's Brandon Bogotay, they spelled it Branden Bogota on Twitter.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Imagine if the St Louis team plays at the Edward Jones Dome

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Flikken posted:

Columbus has the last professional Ohio team to win a title.

When did the crew win?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I hope we get a funny story like an entire team getting fired at the Olive Garden

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
So the league is waiting on a $20m donation that has been promised but not yet fulfilled. Please don't fall apart, we're so close.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

lol

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

faq: I got drafted. Now what?

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
There's a guy named Sentorio Mack who only lists a HS, and multiple guys with no HS or college listed. Like, I would understand if you had D3s or JuCos but nothing...

What I'm saying is, we may have stumbled into a pickup game y'all.

Oh my god Columbus has Marcus "Flipped off the big house" Hall on their roster and possibly the worst members of the Buckeye secondary of my lifetime. I can't look away from this.

TheGreyGhost fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 1, 2016

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Per their website too it looks like they were targeting Akron over Columbus which uh...I would hope they realize that's Browns territory where we already have enough sad football

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

TheGreyGhost posted:

Per their website too it looks like they were targeting Akron over Columbus which uh...I would hope they realize that's Browns territory where we already have enough sad football
There can never be too much sad football in Cleveland

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TheGreyGhost posted:

GET READY FOR SOME HOT, HOT RUBBER BOWL ACTION YALL

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

DJExile posted:

GET READY FOR SOME HOT, HOT RUBBER BOWL ACTION YALL

Rubber Bowl is dead yo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Flikken posted:

Rubber Bowl is dead yo

nooooooooooooooo :(

poo poo that's right, i forgot they made a new stadium

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

DJExile posted:

nooooooooooooooo :(

poo poo that's right, i forgot they made a new stadium

Don't worry they may have bankrupted the university in the process

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Good, death to Akron or Ohio Polytechnic, or The University of Phoenix at Akron or whatever they're calling it now

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
I'm 6'4, 270 or so, I'll give it a shot for a paycheck. They have teams in AZ? :D

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Push for a franchise in Mississippi.

Set a favre trap
The Hattiesburg Crocs. I'd buy season tickets and I live 12 hours away.

Ehud posted:

Convince them to put a team in Greenville/Spartanburg so I don't have to drive 12 hours to Hattiesburg. I don't care what the expected locations are, in my head canon they play in Hattiesburg.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 1, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
How many players do you think were drafted and don't know it?

JPrime posted:

I'm 6'4, 270 or so, I'll give it a shot for a paycheck. They have teams in AZ? :D

Yes but if you fail you will live the rest of your life knowing you were not good enough for the MLFB

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Good, death to Akron or Ohio Polytechnic, or The University of Phoenix at Akron or whatever they're calling it now

University in the ghetto of a dying rust belt city? What could possibly go wrong? That being said they actually won a bowl game this year.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ehud posted:

Should I check and see if I got drafted?

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
I sent them an email about buying a team last week but I don't think they took it seriously. You've made a powerful enemy, Major League Football.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to build my own football league, with blackjack and hookers

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Congratulations to inaugural MLFB Mr. Irrelevant, Reid Herchenbach, QB from Alabama State.

Dude had a college statline of 127/183, 8 TD 6 INT and has recently spent time in Wisconsin "operating heavy machinery and learning heavyweight boxing".

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

These franchise player bios read like they're written by a 14 year old

quote:

TAYLOR BELSTERLING | WR | TEAM COTTRELL
A Montgomery, Alabama native, Belsterling’s path to football has been an unconventional one; he’s fought his entire career to prove to people that just because he was from smaller schools, didn’t mean he didn’t deserve to be where some of the big names were.

Belsterling had attended a community college (that didn’t not have football) for a year and half before going to Huntingdon College. As a junior in 2013, Belsterling caught 38 passes for 699 yards and six touchdowns in nine games, but ran out of eligibility to play his last season. Since its first year of football in 2003, Huntingdon, an NCAA Division III school, has only had one player sign an NFL contract.

Belsterling is looking to become the second, and as a franchise player for Major League Football, he’s headed in the right direction.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

He fought to prove he belonged with the big names. He decisively lost.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Magicpants posted:

I sent them an email about buying a team last week but I don't think they took it seriously. You've made a powerful enemy, Major League Football.

They're a publicly traded penny stock dude. Just sell your entire IRA and maybe you can buy like 4 teams. You'd be in on the ground floor of the best spring football league in America and be able to do such things as vote for the MLFB board...

Someone post this in GBS and see if we can turn this poo poo into EVE's weird space council thing that goons have been sitting on for forever. I'd love to see Herm Edwards fume in a room as a :downs: goon sits there and talks about how the league dress code needs to include fedoras at their annual league meetings.

DJExile posted:

These franchise player bios read like they're written by a 14 year old

"Ran out of eligibility" what did the guy take improper benefits at the D3 level? Did he have dinner at his liberal arts professors house and not report it through compliance or something? These are the scandals the world needs to know about.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Congratulations to inaugural MLFB Mr. Irrelevant, Reid Herchenbach, QB from Alabama State.

Dude had a college statline of 127/183, 8 TD 6 INT and has recently spent time in Wisconsin "operating heavy machinery and learning heavyweight boxing".

Still would take him over Hackenberg.

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014
So...the community college had football?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Well it didn't not have football

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

the mexican high school I taught at had a football team that wore used pads from the 70s and their uniforms were white t-shirts with their names written in marker on the back

I kinda imagine the same thing here

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the mexican high school I taught at had a football team that wore used pads from the 70s and their uniforms were white t-shirts with their names written in marker on the back

I kinda imagine the same thing here

that sounds awesome

also I love going through the draft list just looking at the colleges. I haven't heard of like half of them and in half the others I'm surprised to know they even have a football team.

E: Oh hey there it's ridiculously photogenic RB Cam McDaniel!

DJExile fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 3, 2016

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Maybe they're just confused as to whether or not the school had a team. poo poo, I still have no idea if my community college had a team.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
When do they announce the cities?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

DJExile posted:

that sounds awesome

also I love going through the draft list just looking at the colleges. I haven't heard of like half of them and in half the others I'm surprised to know they even have a football team.

It always bugged me that we have a California University of Pennsylvania and an Indiana University of Pennsylvania

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Athanatos posted:

When do they announce the cities?

Orlando's the only one they've formally announced. I"m guessing they're still settling deals with (read: begging) area colleges to let them use their facilities.

peekaboo gangster
Sep 12, 2003

So, I’ve been a fan of football for most of my adult life, and hadn’t really ever given indoor / arena football more than a passing thought until one night two or so years ago. I had turned on the TV to the local Fox-2 station (they’re a consistent source of syndicated anything, from Seinfeld to Family Feud) for some harmless background noise, and discovered that instead of Steve Harvey’s perplexed visage gracing the boob tube, I was watching the 4th quarter in an arena football game. I had stumbled upon the broadcast of the local PIFL (Professional Indoor Football League) team, who ended up coming back from a 14 point deficit to win the game. I looked into it more, and ended up leveraging my position at Papa Johns to score box tickets to the next few home games. Suffice it to say, I quickly became a pretty big fan of the Richmond Raiders, who ended up going 5-7 for that season. Even with the losing season, it was still came filled with pretty cool highlights – my favorite being a game where Richmond got their asses handed to them for 3 quarters, to suddenly recovering from 21 points down to win the game by an “uno”, 38-37. The entire Coliseum was screaming, jumping up and down. It was wild.

Me, my two sisters, and father after winning our lone home playoff game

The Richmond Raiders were a professional indoor football team that played in the Richmond Coliseum in Richmond, Virginia, until the end of the 2015 season in June. In the 4 years that the PIFL was active, the Raiders made it to three championship games, unfortunately losing all of them (to the Albany Panthers, Alabama Hammers, and Columbus Lions, respectively). They were coached by former Eagles DB James Fuller and led by quarterback Phil Konopka and later, Jonathan Bane, who was recently selected in that weirdo MLFB draft.

The rules and regulations of the PIFL were pretty different from normal NFL and even college football. The biggest difference is the size of the field – 50 yards from endzone to endzone. There is no traditional “out of bounds” in indoor football; instead, the padded walls that encircle the field are considered out, and tackling players into and over them (into the first few rows of seating) is a regular and encouraged action. Scoring is almost the same as the NFL, with touchdowns, PATs, and 2 point conversions all showing up, but in addition to these, something called an “uno” can be scored: upon kickoff (at the start of each half / after scoring) if you can send the ball between the other team’s goalposts, you get 1 point automatically. While it doesn’t seem like much, I’ve seen a few games come down to missed unos before – eat your heart out, Blair Walsh.

Incomplete passes are a hell of a lot more exciting when they're flying at your face

Some halftime shows at these games featured kids racing for easter eggs, poor schmucks from the crowd trying to toss footballs and win prizes, and the absolute all-time best show, wherein the Richmond PD demonstrated one of their K9 officers ability at take-downs with a man in a cushioned suit. During time-outs, a remote-controlled McDonald’s blimp would ponderously hover through crowds, occasionally dropping towels with free mcmeal coupons attached. During the home opener of 2015, the blimp crashed into a section of the crowd, and it ruled. A sad Ronald McDonald would roam the stands of the Coliseum like some depressing, lethargic burgermancer. The mascot of the Raiders was a horse with braces (the team was sponsored by Horsey Orthodontics) named Risky, who was pretty terrifying. Post-game, both teams would stay on the field and sign autographs and take pictures – I’ve included a few pictures of my raggedy rear end with the Raiders and their horrifying mascot for your pleasure.

This is, honest to god, the peppiest Ronald ever got

Our best wideout, "Scooby" Bryant, with a fan after a game

Look at this fuckin' thing! And that mascot! Christ.

For my birthday in 2014, my father purchased a set of 3 season tickets for the 2015 season, 3 rows back from the field. During one of the first home games of the season, an incomplete pass from Raiders quarterback Johnathan Bane sailed into our section and demolished my father’s beer. Adding insult to injury, the ball was claimed by the person sitting in front of him who asked “was it worth it?” Later, running back Darron “Speedy” Clark would be thrown into the front row of seats as part of a tackle. Dad’s beer was safely tucked away this time. This season would see the Raiders only lose one home game. They ended up making it to the Professional Indoor Football League Championship Cup game, but unfortunately, like another horse-themed team to recently play in the Superbowl, the Raiders also got completely shithoused, losing 64-38 to the Columbus Lions.

Offensive MVP of 2015 Jonathan Bane talking to the local news after winning the lone home playoff game of 2015

During the MLFB draft, our former quarterback Jonathan Bane was selected, and he was feted by a small group of Raiders fans on Facebook, so I’d love for this league not to be a scam, but considering the PIFL folded in ~4 seasons, I can’t help but be a little pessimistic. Considering how many indoor leagues there are that exist at this point, I’d like to see Bane find a spot on a CFL roster, like our former running back, Devin Wilson (now on the practice squad for the Sasketchewan Roughriders). Anyway, if anyone has questions about the PIFL, how ridiculous it is (very), or anything like that, I’d be glad to answer. It might be a scam, but it’s a hell of a fun one at least.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo that is a fantastic post.

How well did the league hold up when the AFL/AF2 folded?

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I genuinely wish that indoor/arena football was more of a thing. I like smaller cities having a football outlet for community spirit. But seeing the billions of indoor football leagues move/change ownership/fold is quite disheartening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peekaboo gangster
Sep 12, 2003

DJExile posted:

Holy poo poo that is a fantastic post.

How well did the league hold up when the AFL/AF2 folded?

Thank you very much! As far as I know, the Raiders began as an expansion team for the AIF (American Indoor Football), then transferred to the SIFL (Southern Indoor Football League) for the 2011 season before helping to found the PIFL (Professional Indoor Football League) with the Alabama Hammers, Albany Panthers, and Columbus Lions. Each year, the league expanded, adding anywhere from one to three teams, and things were looking up. However, last year saw the loss of the Harrisburg Stampede and the Panthers. Things became shakier when it was announced that a team from the CIFL (Continental Indoor Football League - god drat, there are a trillion of these leagues), the Erie Explosion, would help fill out blank dates in team schedules. On paper, it sounded great - Erie had been the CIFL champion two years running! - but thanks to the standards put forth by the PIFL, they ended up fielding a 2-9 season, losing to Richmond in an astonishingly Breaking Madden-esque 77-8, due to the CIFL being essentially backyard football. When the offseason started last year, two teams folded entirely, and there was concern that they would be replaced with more CIFL-caliber teams. When all was said and done, the Raiders belonged to a three team league, and have "suspended operations" for the 2016 season. The PIFL still exists, but really in name only, as unfortunately the only teams remaining are the Alabama Hammers, Nashville Venom, and Richmond Raiders.

It seemed as if it was starting to catch on in Richmond right as the season ended last year - the crowd in some of the previous pictures is sparse, but it was easily over 2,000 during the last few games. Ultimately, I think the PIFL was a drat good try at giving people high-quality football for pretty cheap prices (it was $12 to sit on the lower level, $7 for nosebleeds), but the way the future is looking for it and other indoor leagues is... bleak, at best.

• Locked thread