Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I started having some pretty serious wrist pain about a decade ago. Didn't go to the doctor or anything, but I was doing a lot of typing both at work and at home, and playing a lot of Guitar Hero.

I ended up replacing my keyboards both at home and work with ergonomic keyboards (the type with the split down the middle), haven't had a problem since. I had a coworker who was diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel, and she would have problems off and on. I kept recommending an ergo board for her, she kept declining. Then, she came in for a week solid with wrist braces on, and I finally just insisted, and said "listen, I'm gonna hook this up for you for a week; if you still hate it, tell me, and I'll never mention it again." She used it for two days and didn't need the braces anymore, and then said "I should have listened to you sooner."

Obviously, two data points is still anecdotal, but it's really not as hard to switch as you think it will be, and it does seem to help significantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NeilPerry posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-L5V-00001-Ergonomic-Desktop-Keyboard/dp/B00CYX54C0

Would something like this suffice? It's the easiest one for me to find.
I currently use the earlier version of that:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9N63KK5580

I'm a big fan, I haven't used the newer version. There are also ergonomic mouse pads that some of my coworkers use, but I doubt that's going to have nearly the impact of an ergo keyboard, given the volume of typing you do:

http://www.amazon.com/Wrist-Rest-Gel-Like-Ergonomic-Mouse-Blue/dp/B000YTR3XE

I haven't used them much, so I can't comment on their efficacy.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Che Delilas posted:

This is the loving best keyboard. My normal keyboard was starting to give me trouble at work, then a dude with one of these got fired and I scavenged it. That very day, wrist and hand pain went away and they haven't been back. Can't recommend it highly enough.

It's very odd at first; it's an aggressive layout and the center keys are really high. You'll hit the wrong keys and probably be annoyed. That will last about a day and then you get used to it, I promise. Force yourself to acclimate and then see what it does for your hands. It may not be a magic bullet but that inward-kinked wrist position that normal keyboards tend to promote is just terrible for you.

Yeah, soldiering through the first few days is gonna be difficult, especially as a transcriptionist. That being said, I just took a typing test on a normal, straight keyboard, and it felt so goddamn weird. You do get used to it, and faster than you would expect.

• Locked thread