Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breidr
Jan 9, 2016

I find myself in a similar position once again. I want to sink into an MMO, but factors are sucking the enjoyment from the game, and this time, I'm not sure what to do. The main problem I'm running into with modern games is that they are pushing my abilities to the limit. Sparing a long and lengthy post, I have Cerebral Palsy, google it for more information. It has caused me some cognitive and motor skill problems. I have tried to address these through peripherals and other means, and I do like my Razer stuff, I really do.

I cut my teeth on MMOs back in 2003 with Everquest Online Adventures for the PS2. I didn't really understand it that much, but I muddled my way through it, and was very happy to play a game with a ton of people walking around. It was nice to not be alone. Fast Forward to 2005: I entered the World of Warcraft like so many others, and mostly enjoyed my time, until higher levels. I was overwhelmed by the sheer amount of keybinds needed in certain circumstances, the need for UI Add-Ons, damage meters, it felt like drowning, which is a shame, I really enjoyed the game.

In 2008 during college, I got involved in Table Top gaming again, my favorite thing! Slow, thinking games that even I can play, no twitch reflexes necessary! Some of my friends from the club reintroduced me to WoW and were kind enough to look past my deficiency and help me. I got a Nostromo and a new gaming mouse and started gaming again. I can still only manage about 12-24 abilities, but it was doable. I became a healbot, hung out on Ventrillo and had a grand old time. Things wane in time, and I fell from WoW again about the time of Cataclysm. I tried to get back into MMos because I missed the persistence and community.

I found a new game: Guild Wars 2
It seemed like the perfect match. One action bar, I can do that! I fired it up, made a Norn warrior and went to town, but it wasn't all that great. Enter my arch nemesis, Action Combat. The dodge roll was the beginning of the end of my ability to play most MMOs I've tried recently.

It seems like I find myself fighting one of two things. Games with my favored combat style, tab combat, feature many keybinds [WoW, SWTOR], or less abilities with action combat [GW2, ESO] and I feel stuck in the middle. I can't manage many keybinds, but action combat is even WORSE for me, despite less abilities.

Ideally, my perfect game would be a WoW clone with just one action bar, but I can't seem to get there. I miss questing, hanging out in Stormwind, even Battlegrounds [even though I had no business being there]. I like the immersion factor of these games, the alliance war, game wide events, dungeons, the stories, the loot. It's all great, but as time passes, I can't seem to pull my weight in the genre anymore.

So I've conducting another [maybe final] search for a game. I really miss MMOs, but I can't find one for me. Is there any help out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

FFXIV and get a Razer Naga to handle actions bars.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

I suggest taking another look at WoW. There was a lot of button bloat that they cut and have done so even more over the last couple expansions. If you can still manage at least 12 ability key binds you should be fine.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

:therapy:

Breidr
Jan 9, 2016

Hy_C posted:

I suggest taking another look at WoW. There was a lot of button bloat that they cut and have done so even more over the last couple expansions. If you can still manage at least 12 ability key binds you should be fine.

How is it now? Is it really worth coming back when I'm 50 levels behind? Has there really been that much pruning?

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Leveling in WoW isn't trivial, but it's close. Dungeon and raid finders mean you don't ever have to leave whatever city you're currently in and your time in each level will be measured in hours rather than days.

Also I agree with the first poster, FFXIV is a lot of fun and as long as you have some easy access button to use your second bar you'll probably be fine.

Breidr
Jan 9, 2016

ScrubLeague posted:

Leveling in WoW isn't trivial, but it's close. Dungeon and raid finders mean you don't ever have to leave whatever city you're currently in and your time in each level will be measured in hours rather than days.

Also I agree with the first poster, FFXIV is a lot of fun and as long as you have some easy access button to use your second bar you'll probably be fine.

Currently perusing FFXIV streams, a lot of them have buttons plastered all over the screen, similar to my WoW experience.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Breidr posted:

Currently perusing FFXIV streams, a lot of them have buttons plastered all over the screen, similar to my WoW experience.

Yes, but unlike your wow experience, you could bind your new wow experience to a controller or a race car wheel.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
That seems like poor use of macros to me, I can't really speak to end-game content or anything but pretty much all of the macro guides I saw for the melee classes I played suggested you'd need maybe half a dozen buttons to combine most of your abilities on global and proc, and maybe half a dozen more for situational abilities.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

ScrubLeague posted:

That seems like poor use of macros to me, I can't really speak to end-game content or anything but pretty much all of the macro guides I saw for the melee classes I played suggested you'd need maybe half a dozen buttons to combine most of your abilities on global and proc, and maybe half a dozen more for situational abilities.

If macros still prevent skill queuing lol at macros and end game content in the same sentence

Breidr
Jan 9, 2016

Usenet Magic-User posted:

If macros still prevent skill queuing lol at macros and end game content in the same sentence

I never was able to get Macros to be a thing for me. Call me a n00b, call me whatever, but yeah.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Instead of mashing 1-5 on a loop just put all those skills into one button and mash the one button

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
OP, you should look into Project Gorgon. It's still in alpha and it's not exactly pretty, but there's lots to do and it's silly. :3: Tab targeting, no dodge rolls, there *are* three bars but one is for utility stuff and they're all fairly short. (You have two combat bars because it's an Elder Scrolls "build your own class" situation, so you can slot Staff/Fire Magic or Cow/Psychology or whatever and that's your class.)

Currently free to try, will be B2P with optional sub and cosmetic cash shop later on.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer
With all the recent changes and updates they've made to SWTOR it may be worth giving a shot again (or for the first time if you haven't tried it before.) They've put a lot of effort into making it an almost single player story focused game, while still being an MMORPG. It still has dungeons (though they added solo modes for the story heavy/important ones), raids, and battlegrounds if those are your cup of tea. Every class has it's own class specific story to lead you through the areas, and they've tweaked the XP gain to where you essentially only need to do your class story missions to stay on top of the level curve.

The companion system, where you have one of your story crew members tag along, has been changed to make the companions VERY powerful. Any companion can be set as either damage/heals/tank, so just pick your favorite and set them to whatever style meshes best with the character you're playing. (They have their own skill bar, but they don't need to be managed, they'll auto-cast everything on their own)

Each class has a lot of buttons available, but for most classes I'd say you'd be just fine using only one bar. You're not going to be doing optimal DPS or whatever, but the game is easy enough now that you'd only ever need to be doing optimal DPS in a hard-mode end game raid.

And I've been stressing how easy this game is now, but they've also put some systems into place to make sure you're not just going to be one-shotting your way through the game. Each area has a max level, and if you're over that you'll have your level and stats scaled to the point where you'll be very strong for the area, but not completely decimating everything.

El Cid fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 28, 2016

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

Breidr posted:

How are you with a ps4 controller? FFXIV has pretty nifty controller support. I haven't used it in a bit so I'm sorry fi I get it wrong, but basically your X O Square Triangle, and the 4 D-pad buttons, are bound to abilities. Like an 8-item action bar. You can then hold down shoulder buttons to switch to a different page of actions.

Many of the classes in FFXIV are not so complicated. The guy who took over for ARR has a huge boner for WoW and basically carbon copied the WoW systems to a shiny new engine. Avoid Monk since it had a complex rotation when I played. If you play Scholar you don't even need to do anything, just run around with your Fairy summoned and they'll heal everything.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Breidr posted:

How is it now? Is it really worth coming back when I'm 50 levels behind? Has there really been that much pruning?

TBH most abilities in WoW were of limited to no use anyways.

I think I pressed a grand total of 4-5 things for my entire dps rotation last expansion.

I mean just stay away from the John loving Madden classes like enhancement shaman and you'll be fine.

I'm pretty sure you can play a resto druid without touching a keyboard (And it's been like that since wrath.)

Comedy option is of course Eve Online. We've got quadriplegics in goonfleet.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 28, 2016

Breidr
Jan 9, 2016

Well, WoW tossed me a free trial of all the new things, so before I start 7 days I'll do some poking around.

Any recommendations on classes?/ I have ZERO experience with macros, but people say I could fit most classes onto one action bar with them. If I could squeeze everything onto my Naga, that'd be great.

I don't expect to top charts, I just want to have fun here.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This is like an E/N thread about not being able to stick with a single MMO.

I don't think there any game out that has a single skill bar without a back up of a few hundred skills to put on it. You can wait for the WOW xpac after legion that removes all the buttons for each class and replaces it with one move called "damage". Then you wont have to rebind your WASD keys to play the game.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

I hit a wall once. It hurt my hand.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Breidr posted:

Well, WoW tossed me a free trial of all the new things, so before I start 7 days I'll do some poking around.

Any recommendations on classes?/ I have ZERO experience with macros, but people say I could fit most classes onto one action bar with them. If I could squeeze everything onto my Naga, that'd be great.

I haven't played since the beginning of the expac but you should post your wow questions here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=146. They'll point you in the right direction.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Breidr posted:

i like your twitch lonely bday op. god bless.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Breidr posted:

If you do decide to play FFXIV be sure to research how each class plays before picking them. Some of them, like the monk, have to be constantly shifting their position slightly because their attacks are all positional.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Breidr posted:

Holy gently caress. Can you decide anything on your own? Put your big boy pants on.

Just watch other people play MMOs on Twitch since you want them to do everything else for you.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

let's not backseat OP on what games to play it gets on his nerves :ironicat:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

a real jerk posted:

let's not backseat OP on what games to play it gets on his nerves :ironicat:

That's not very ironic, i am very confused.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

You could hit up the Project1999 thread for some classic Everquest 1. If you're a crazy person like I am, it's pretty rad. Game's a lot more social that modern MMOs. It does a much better job with exploration and feeling like a cohesive world than modern games in the genre do. The combat is slow-paced and doesn't really require keybinds at all to succeed with. Classic EQ is very unforgiving though, which gives it a cool sense of danger, but can be frustrating if you aren't careful. It's also very ugly/archaic, and requires significant time investment for group stuff (which is what you should be doing very early on since soloing is boring as gently caress).

Might be worth looking into. Not much out there can match the highs (or the lows) of oldschool EQ.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

crew posted:

FFXIV and get a Razer Naga to handle actions bars.

Go with Logitech. My Naga crapped out in about six months and you'll hear similar stories from many people with all Razer hardware. I used to be in denial because I had a Razer mouse, keyboard and headphones but the truth is that it's poo poo. It's overpriced and underperforms. You're probably paying more for their extravagant packaging than you would for a decent entry level mouse.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Vargs posted:

You could hit up the Project1999 thread for some classic Everquest 1. If you're a crazy person like I am, it's pretty rad. Game's a lot more social that modern MMOs. It does a much better job with exploration and feeling like a cohesive world than modern games in the genre do. The combat is slow-paced and doesn't really require keybinds at all to succeed with. Classic EQ is very unforgiving though, which gives it a cool sense of danger, but can be frustrating if you aren't careful. It's also very ugly/archaic, and requires significant time investment for group stuff (which is what you should be doing very early on since soloing is boring as gently caress).

Might be worth looking into. Not much out there can match the highs (or the lows) of oldschool EQ.

Seconding this, it's one of the most hands off experiences (with most classes, for gently caress sake do not roll a bard!) as MMO's come with minimal inputs required.

You even have EQ roots, sort of, give it a whirl!

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 31, 2016

BiggerThanPete
Nov 11, 2012

Guys, I'm going in.

Breidr posted:

I wrote up a whole thing about the Arms warrior that I play, but then realized that your best bet is going to be playing a marksmanship hunter. The rotation is basically Chimaera Shot, Aimed Shot, and Steady Shot, with Kill Shot below 35%. It's absurdly simple and you can put out a lot of dps without needing to mash a bunch of buttons. You also don't need to move around as much as melee do and often hunters are tasked with killing adds, which involves lots of tab targeting =) I guarantee this the class you are looking for!

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
Just...don't play MMOs? They're pretty much all terrible anyway.

PsychicToaster fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 31, 2016

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

hi, where are the good mmos?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Remb posted:

right here:

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
I'll trade my Albion Online $50.00 founder account for Shards Online $40.00 pledge account so I can play a fun MMO.

Wait AO is fun...or...is it? I don't know anymore. HELP

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Not to be a braggart, because I'm sure an entry level pack is adequate for a taste such as yours, but I only procure the finest of Founder Pack installments. Anything below 3+ figures, just isn't within my means of enjoyment in MMO gaming.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Are non-MMOs an option? Because Diablo 3 might be what you are looking for.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Remb posted:

Blade & Soul is pretty fun

If you dont mind qt wayfu anime graphics

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
FF14 is a hilariously bad idea. A level 60 DRK has so many buttons I ran out of convenient keybinds at like level 52 on mine. Im going to second the P1999 Everquest suggestion since its the least mechanically demanding mmo you could hope for while being immensely more challenging and social than the trivial single player snorefest that wow has become. I really dont think they prunned that many abilities in the latest expac. I still had a full 3 bars worth of abilities on my shaman. Everquest has like 8 spells at one time and everything can be clicked since the global cooldown is very long.

Athropos fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 1, 2016

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Are non-MMOs an option? Because Diablo 3 might be what you are looking for.

The seasons are great and help you not be locked into a class forever. Diablo is definitely worth a try.

Waiting for mmos that don't exist is way less disappointing than playing them imo

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Athropos posted:

FF14 is a hilariously bad idea. A level 60 DRK has so many buttons I ran out of convenient keybinds at like level 52 on mine. Im going to second the P1999 Everquest suggestion since its the least mechanically demanding mmo you could hope for while being immensely more challenging and social than the trivial single player snorefest that wow has become. I really dont think they prunned that many abilities in the latest expac. I still had a full 3 bars worth of abilities on my shaman. Everquest has like 8 spells at one time and everything can be clicked since the global cooldown is very long.

The skill pruning from WoW did consolidate some things, but for the most part it just stuck all the skills closer to max level, since this game will frequently raise the level cap and add a bunch of new skills. In my experience, what this means for the player is you spend levels 1-50 with like 3 total abilities and then suddenly get bombarded with skills once you start hitting expansion content.

Some people found the 2.5 GCD in FF14 to be relaxing, I found it to be boring. Same deal there, at least at early levels (i.e., the point where I decide whether or not I like the game). Walk up to monster, press 1, wait, press 2, wait, maybe press 3? Or 1 again. At least with the old-school menu based battles I could just hold one button to mash attack while I watched a TV show or something, but I was a Dragoon so I had to worry about whether or not I was to the backs or sides of the enemy (I know I probably didn't need to do this to win, but it seemed like good practice). I wanted to like that game but I was literally falling asleep while playing.

All said and done, I think Star Wars: The Old Republic is my MMO of choice. Same MMO combat, but at least the storylines are excellent. The trick for me was making a character whose face would seem to match their voice, once I did that the game became way more fun. This is because I was getting invested in my character, which is something I haven't experienced since City of Heroes.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
True. Now if only SWTOR would let you be one of the countless alien species that don't look like re-skinned humans.

• Locked thread