Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you know, i bet we could save a lot of theoretical black children if we killed every child that said they wanted to join the police when they grew up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Serious Frolicking posted:

you know, i bet we could save a lot of theoretical black children if we killed every child that said they wanted to join the police when they grew up.

Maybe the problem is the theoretical black children. You are looking at this all wrong, let me explain,

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Aside from Obamacare and shutting down Guantanmo, he's p cool.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Why does everyone poo poo on Obamacare?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Tony Homo posted:

because it was a huge handout to insurance companies

e: without addressing any of the problems that were supposed to be "reformed"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
obamacare doubled down on all the problems with healthcare in the us while claiming to be a solution. now it serves as yet another level of bullshit to cut through if anyone tries to reform healthcare in any way.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
At least it got rid of lifetime limits on your plan.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

preexisting conditions too, its not completely useless but it is still bad

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Blue Train posted:

preexisting conditions too, its not completely useless but it is still bad

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I got to admit the preexisting conditions crap is pretty good, but the part about the bill being literally written by health insurance company lobbyists is bad. In protest I just take the penalty for not having health insurance, which doesn't actually make a difference to me since I'm so poor I can't afford health insurance one way or the other, let alone pay income tax on my four-figure salary. Checkmate, libtards. :smug:

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Tony Homo posted:

It's a massive compromise that fixed some of the worst issues so naturally wingnuts on both sides hate it.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

crabcakes66 posted:

It's a massive compromise that fixed some of the worst issues so naturally wingnuts on both sides hate it.

You're right, the problems are now fixed in place for the next few decades.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Idiot Kicker posted:

You're right, the problems are now fixed in place for the next few decades.

So the other options were do nothing and a politically unviable single-payer?

Obamacare lookin p good.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Obamacare has the middle class paying for the poor, leaving the rich alone.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

GORDON posted:

Obamacare has the middle class paying for the poor, leaving the rich alone.

This

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

crabcakes66 posted:

Obamacare lookin p good.

You wanna see my insurance bill vs. what I get for it? Sure, I'm here in my ivory tower making under 30k, but let's not pretend this is anything other than a belly rub to insurance companies.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Idiot Kicker posted:

You wanna see my insurance bill vs. what I get for it? Sure, I'm here in my ivory tower making under 30k, but let's not pretend this is anything other than a belly rub to insurance companies.

Versus what you had before?

Sorry. I have already seen it save lives. I have anecdotes of my own.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I think a lot of the people who like Obamacare have insurance so maybe they just don't know what they're talking about. I had to go to the ER a few months ago (twice) and I still haven't signed up for Obamacare. The total cost for two visits was less than I would be paying per year for Obamacare. It has a lot of holes and like someone earlier pointed out, it's basically just a clusterfuck of loopholes for insurance companies. It is *not* the New Deal, as some people seem so convinced.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

phasmid posted:

I think a lot of the people who like Obamacare have insurance so maybe they just don't know what they're talking about. I had to go to the ER a few months ago (twice) and I still haven't signed up for Obamacare. The total cost for two visits was less than I would be paying per year for Obamacare. It has a lot of holes and like someone earlier pointed out, it's basically just a clusterfuck of loopholes for insurance companies. It is *not* the New Deal, as some people seem so convinced.

Interesting. Becuase I ended up in intensive care 6 years ago without insurance and the bill I got was about the cost of a new house.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
Seems like single payer was the way to go. Oh well.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

crabcakes66 posted:

Interesting. Becuase I ended up in intensive care 6 years ago without insurance and the bill I got was about the cost of a new house.

it really depends on what you go for, an er visit could be 400 dollars or 40000 depending on what's wrong

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I wanna say the average deductible is like 5k on the obamacare plans as well in addition to the couple grand it ends up costing in premiums

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Blue Train posted:

I wanna say the average deductible is like 5k on the obamacare plans as well in addition to the couple grand it ends up costing in premiums

The thing that I see some people get wrong is they think becuase they have a lower deductible and pay less/nothing for a doctor's visit they are saving money. When in reality the higher premium you are paying ends up costing you a hell of a lot more than if you just have a catastrophic plan and pay for the occasional doctor's visit out of pocket. It's basic math that some people fail to do. What makes sense is of course highly dependent on your health and your age.

Really good insurance is still tied to having a good job unfortunately, where the vast majority of the real cost of the plan is hidden from people. I am self-employed so I have to buy my own lovely insurance. But at least I won't go bankrupt and have my credit destroyed if a bug bites me again. Thanks Obama.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Tony Homo posted:

Why did my (along with other people I know) insurance with no other changes shoot up when Obamacare started? Someone has to pay the difference for the deeply discounted insurance that's being handed out by Obummer.

I should have been a millenial with a mustache and no job. I could get free insurance and yell things up the stairway to my parents like "gently caress you dad, order my loving mustache wax!"

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 31, 2016

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Why did my (along with other people I know) insurance with no other changes shoot up when Obamacare started? Someone has to pay the difference for the deeply discounted insurance that's being handed out by Obummer.

I should have been a millenial with a mustache and no job. I could get free insurance and yell things up the stairway to my parents like "gently caress you dad, order my loving mustache wax!"

Premiums were going up steadily long before anyone ever uttered the word obamacare. Cool to have something to blame though.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

crabcakes66 posted:

The thing that I see some people get wrong is they think becuase they have a lower deductible and pay less/nothing for a doctor's visit they are saving money. When in reality the higher premium you are paying ends up costing you a hell of a lot more than if you just have a catastrophic plan and pay for the occasional doctor's visit out of pocket. It's basic math that some people fail to do. What makes sense is of course highly dependent on your health and your age.

Really good insurance is still tied to having a good job unfortunately, where the vast majority of the real cost of the plan is hidden from people. I am self-employed so I have to buy my own lovely insurance. But at least I won't go bankrupt and have my credit destroyed if a bug bites me again. Thanks Obama.

I'm not in total disagreement with you. Like Blue Train said, it depends on what you're there for. I have no doubt that Obama's intention was to have Universal Health Care become his legacy. The increasingly right-wing Congress gutted his proposals and he didn't fight fang and claw for it, which he had said he would. That puts a good deal of the blame on him for launching a premature strategy he knew wasn't going to work.

It sucks that I can't just go to the doctor like when I was a kid, but let's just be clear that this cosmetic patchup we call Obamacare does not alter the situation. You're going to lose money no matter what and now I pay a penalty on my taxes for opting out. The plan was designed to be popular in the truest sense, but it ends up being just another lousy alternative.

crabcakes66 posted:

Premiums were going up steadily long before anyone ever uttered the word obamacare. Cool to have something to blame though.

I don't blame Obama for all the sick people, we have our ludicrous military-industrial complex to thank for that. I do blame Obama for using populist rhetoric when he's just another company man. I blame him for sucking and having no backbone. Yes, I do. gently caress him.

ehhhhhhnnnnnn
Jun 3, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Lol this dipshit

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

TEAYCHES posted:

Advocates of interventionism make the assumption that we are ruled by wise people who aren't just other dumbshits who don't know what they are doing. Look at the last 50 years of the CIA for an example of the best educated and resourced people constantly bungling, loving up and using the worst possible means to do it. People at the highest levels of government are not super-intelligent lizards, but self serving assholes who are making their best guess based on flawed ideologies and personal interest.

this is what happens when you fill the top management levels with yalies

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

crabcakes66 posted:

lmfao

Yeah bro, designing things by committee in an attempt to please everyone is a stroke of genius, it's the "wingnuts" that are wrong here.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Agreed.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

crabcakes66 posted:

Obamacare lookin p good.

Levy additional taxes on the rich to subsidize poor people's health insurance. Same effect as Obamacare, except the extra government spending and bureaucracy introduced is actually quite small and not a bloated piece of poo poo that will be a clusterfuck to dismantle.

AugmentedVision fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 1, 2016

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

AugmentedVision posted:

Levy a additional taxes on the rich

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
im glad he hosed you all on insurance, and im glad of that thing where they say youre cancer would be too expensive to fix as well :devil: you get what u deserve...

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Blue Train posted:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

This already happened (or at least very upper middle class, I don't personally know any magnates). Well-off people are paying much more for their health insurance (or paying the penalty), and nobody is fooled into thinking that this is anything other than a tax.

We needed a massive bureaucracy that is involved with every single person's health insurance that is costing everyone shitloads of money to accomplish this why?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Also Obama literally used dictator rhetoric in one of his speeches:

"You can't have 100% security and 100% privacy all the time".

Nobody gave a poo poo.

God drat people are loving stupid.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

AugmentedVision posted:

lmfao

Yeah bro, designing things by committee in an attempt to please everyone is a stroke of genius, it's the "wingnuts" that are wrong here.

Cool fantasy world you live in.

AugmentedVision posted:

Levy additional taxes on the rich to subsidize poor people's health insurance. Same effect as Obamacare, except the extra government spending and bureaucracy introduced is actually quite small and not a bloated piece of poo poo that will be a clusterfuck to dismantle.

AKA "Do nothing" becuase not even the Dems would have voted for that.

crabcakes66 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 1, 2016

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

crabcakes66 posted:

Cool fantasy world you live in.

Read your posts, sounds like Obamacare is good for you and others who are self-employed yet not affluent.

Explain again why this needed to involve every single taxpayer in the United States? Very few people are in your position, it's dumb as gently caress to spend this much money and introduce an entire new level of national bureaucracy to benefit the few.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

crabcakes66 posted:

Obamacare lookin p good.

I am curious, have you ever actually paid for your insurance?

crabcakes66 posted:

Get a good job then, you loving hippy. "Self imployed" my rear end.

Cartouche fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 1, 2016

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Cartouche posted:

Get a good job then, you loving hippy. "Self imployed" my rear end.

My job is pretty good. Thanks for your concern though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee that says, 'Fool me once, shame on ... shame on you. Fool me... You can't get fooled again!'

• Locked thread