Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Just to let you know that I just read the whole thread (slow day at work, eh?) just because of your comment in the chat thread, and I need more rotary in my life for motivation to resurrect my SA22C.

Also, Group C/'79 IMSA body kit, all the way. That's what I want on my '79 for sure. Bubble flares 4 life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

Other bodywork option... this has the advantage of being friends with the guy who has the molds.

I need to know, right now, if that will fit an SA22C, and how much it will cost.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

*the next day*

What you see is what I can get my hands on molds for - obviously not built for the SA bumper. If you're tied to the SA bumper, it probably won't fit, if you're not, you can probably swap the FB bumper structure over. Or like that car (or my next one) fab a light structure to support the nose fiberglass. On that one, the nose panel (the sheetmetal one with Mazdaspeed on it) is steel, everything below that is glass.

Someone could probably modify it to have the air dam/flares rivet on to the stock sheetmetal/nose bumper skin, come to think of it. I am really not sure I want to get into the "fiberglass bodywork" business.

Ah, OK, so the bumper and lower valence are part of the air dam and lower flares, then. Bet I could still make it work with the SA steel bumper. Obviously would require cutting the “bumper” bit off of the piece. I will keep this in mind if you’re willing to sell a copy, seeing as how the early IMSA kit seems to be only found in Japan and Oz. I don’t particularly like the full-fender widebody kits. I like bubble flares.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That sounds pretty dang cool. You'd still have to do a little fine tuning once the engine's actually in the car, to compensate for actual exhaust, intake, gearbox, etc., but you're "rough" map would probably be better than most hobbyist's finished map.
In theory, you could also do RPM and loading manually, datalog, and let one of the MS Autotuning programs work on it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

Man, people were laughing when I was chalking up the tube chassis car as a 10 year project... who's laughing now!?

You, but now it's a slightly nervous, some would say a bit hysterical, laugh.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I've seen it done before, but not without flexing the axle a little bit, which means only a few degrees, and hard on the axles and diff.
This is something else entirely.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Speedway and other circle track suppliers are awesome for all kinds of handy bits that are applicable to most sorts of racing, and even street cars. I'm looking at their access panels to put in the trunk of my '70 Cutlass for fuel pump access when I go to an in-tank EFI pump. Quick-release steering wheel mounts, adjustable upper control arms (also considering those for the Cutlass, along with ball joint extenders, to fix the horrible roll-center/camber gain of the A-body chassis), standardized coil springs, mounts, and adjusters, various tanks and vessels... a whole world of parts.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

Some question about how much power this will take... Stuska had a "400" and "800" back in the day, but now calls them an XS-1-11 and XS-2-11, or maybe they're different dynos. If they're the same just renamed, I have a 400 (or 1-11) and it'll dissipate about 800hp. Comparing to another manufacturer dimensionally, they say an 11" rotor dyno (which is about what this is) will disspiate 800hp so I'm thinking that's about where I'm at on this.

Because of course the "400" model would be the 800HP unit, rather than the "800" model.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, the model is of an early twin-dizzy 10 or 12A.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mustard_tiger posted:

I think you can pay people to rechrome used housings so presumably you could cast your own and then send them there.

I keep hearing this, but have never seen anyone that actually did it. Would be a good thing, since new first-gen RX-7 and earlier housings are now pretty much nonexistent.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

There was someone on RX7Club or somewhere years ago who was trying to build a rig to spray the wear surface with a ceramic-metallic coating. To get something resembling even coating, the spray head would have to follow the epitrochoid shape. His thread sort of just petered out.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh, I know. That was just what this guy was trying to do. It had merit due to the properties of the ceramic, though no one was sure how well apex seals would actually seal against it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

You realize that by including it in the picture, we’re going to need to know more about that lawnmower powered contraption behind the transmission now.

Edit: also, after all that, you’ve got the nerve to question me putting an old EFI in an even older car... :)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

No new pics because lazy, but engine and trans is now back in the WRX! Not running yet though, but good enough we can roll it out and get to work on the MX-5.

In other news, guess who has two thumbs and picked up a 1st gen RX-7 glass sunroof for $60! :D

I bought mine for $20 from a wrecking yard... 20 years ago. Then, since it was for an FB, and my car an SA, traded with a guy who somehow got a similar deal on an SA glass moonroof.
I also picked up a 3-piece wraparound rear spoiler for $20 from the same car as the glass moonroof at the same time.
One of the retainers on the moonroof broke (stupid pot metal), so I need to fabricate one from billet aluminum when I get it back on the road.

edit: sold another FB glass moonroof with the GSL-SE I sold a few months ago. Given what I sold the car for (cheap!), I should have kept the moonroof and sold it separately. Had the bag and everything.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

I wish I’d kept the one-piece factory spoiler for my FB when I sold it. Gonna be a pain in the dick sourcing another one if I ever get an RX7 again (I won’t :()

To be fair, I did have to fix a hole in the top surface, and a crack in both corners on my 3-piece. I keep debating making it a one piece, but I actually got it to fit pretty well, and I was amazed that I managed to make the repairs invisible.

edit:

mekilljoydammit posted:

I'm thinking I'm going to do a relatively quick street build on one of the cars I have a title for. The peripheral port 13B I have sitting around, Miata trans, fender flares, repaint, cutting and hacking on suspension, then drive it.
Please do. I live vicariously through you while my SA lies naked and engineless in the driveway, wholly dependent on my glacial progress to live again.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oooooo, peri-port!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I need to build one of those with wheels. Currently rolling mine around on a furniture dolly.
Speaking of which: don't buy the goddamned Harbor Freight ones. The wheels roll fine, but they won't *turn* with a load on them. I have to go get some better casters from Northern Tool now to fix the two HF dollies I have.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Same issue with their wheel/car dollies. You can push the car around all day in the direction the wheels are pointing but it's a bitch if you want to change direction. I use a big open end wrench to manually point the casters before I start pushing to move the car. This is with stuff under ~3400lb, can't imagine it with stuff near capacity.

Oddly enough, I did not have that problem with the car dollies. 2500 pound-ish first gen RX-7.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

They are? I hadn't looked recently.
Hmmm. I hope I can make the Racing Beat FC 13B NA header I have work.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ah, OK. I can see that. I imagine the market is geared more toward the turbo cars, specifically the FDs.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

FB and FC guys are typically broke asses as opposed to some FD owners - it's a very different scene. But I could probably sell a few.

This is true, but the FBs are starting to become more valuable, so maybe an emerging market? Kind of in a quasi-classic spot right now.
At least FBs aren't being destroyed by the handful by drift idiots. Just rust.

mekilljoydammit posted:

Where I'm at on skimming the EJ205 head... no, I haven't made any effort to line up the images yet. And they're all much bigger than that.

That looks cool. It'll look severely cool when it all lines up like an MRI scan.

mekilljoydammit posted:

"The hiring team has decided to review additional candidates at this time."

Man that was a great thing to hear after 3 weeks of HR guy making appointments to talk on the phone and then missing them with no explanation. Kinda figured but then one of his emails talking about good feedback and stuff made me the slightest bit hopeful. Stupid me, eh?

Oh well back to working at a place that doesn't pay me enough to have enough wiggle room that I can make progress on anything that costs money.

Bummer.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

It'll be fine.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Silly question, just thought of it looking at your illustration that still has the wide-5 wheels on the other side of the car: can the wide-5 wheels be run reversed? I don't remember precisely how they're arranged. It's been a while since I've seen a wide-5 up close.

edit: eh, maybe. The steel ones have a raised lip around the lug holes to accommodate cone-seat lug nuts.
I did, however, note that Speedway has separate wheel centers and barrels for wide-5, so you could make your own offset: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wide-5-Wheel-Center-for-15-Inch-Steel-Wheels,7403.html

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 14, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh, I know the wheel was just there as a leftover. It just triggered the idea.
Yeah, the race stuff is seriously overbuilt, or, more accurately, the production stuff was built to a price point.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Heh, saw you in the thread. That ecu is intriguing, from the description. I haven’t gone to actually look at it yet, though. Sounded like it’s some sort of block programming? You don’t have to “code” per se, but define inputs outputs and conditions, and chain all that together?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That sounds pretty neat. Kind of a flow chart, really. Cool. Will look into that, just for curiosity’s sake if nothing else.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

Another bump.

Kid due in about a week - scheduled c-section. Excited as heck.

Decided to take a step back to an EProd car... it helps I have a lot of the stuff. One thing though is that there's not a lot of options for good 1st gen RX-7 struts. See, it's one of those old styles where the tube is pressed into the knuckle forging, and too small to take advantage of stuff like good inserts.

My solution? I'm finally starting work on a development project I've wanted to do for years - linear bearing guided inverted monotube with a hybrid of Bilstein and Penske parts. KW does the same idea on their really high end struts - basically if I make custom shock pistons (relatively simple to have CNC'd, I already have done piston designs, or I could honestly even manually machine them) and a few other little bits, I can fit off the shelf Penske adjustable shafts (I can't make them due to needing gun drilling) with Penske adjustable canisters (I can't make them for what Penske is charging so screw it) into Bilstein strut tubes (precision honed tube with hard chromed outer - I can't make that either) and attach the whole thing to a 1st gen RX-7 knuckle.

Going on with that is refining the cambered floating rear hub I knocked out a while back.

There's kind of two big things about why setting the GT chassis aside... GT-3 isn't a healthy class in terms of participation numbers, and EProd is, and I already have unibodies I stripped down for EProd... which would require caging but I have the stuff, it just takes putting time in here and there. Does mean I have to go carbureted though, ugh.

OK, this is stuff I want to see. I may have the last set of new-in-box Tokico Illuminas in existence, and I only have the front set. And I may not use those, since I have a line on a roller FB and a mess of parts if I can sell of the AE86 I don't want.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

edit: Oh yeah, while I could just sit and do my own version, just throwing money at http://www.raceproducts.net/mazda-rx7-400-series-bolt-on-camber-kit/index.html is kind of tempting in a "it will definitely work" sense - especially since all machining said and done it's probably not that much more expensive than making my own if I put any value on my time.

OK, that's pretty cool right there.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Congrats! And yeah, I was a trifle disappointed when my daughter proved to be excited by mechanical things, but expected it. She did at least "help" me with a few projects when she was a toddler. My favorite baby picture of her is from when she stuck a lug nut on each finger and held up her hands.
also, I want to believe that your actual last name is *redacted*.

edit:

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 26, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

When you are able to design and machine your own stuff, so much becomes possible. I have *got* to get a lathe and small mill. And probably a shop to put them in. 3D printer while I’m wishing. TIG, Plasma cutter...
At least I have a MIG now.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Neat!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

Poking at bearing catalogs, as one does, I may have just found a holy grail of mine - a cheap way to get Miata brakes and stuff onto the FB.

Will report more after playing mix and match with parts tomorrow night.

I am very interested in this, though my SA has '84 struts, so I can at least use FC brakes with just a machined bearing spacer and a caliper mount.
Unless I just swap in the whole FC subframe, of course, which is a distinct possibility.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That sounds cool.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Any reason to sticking with the FD trigger? I guess if they work they work.

I'm surprised I don't already know the answer to this, but will an FC CAS fit into an FB housing? For some reason, I seem to recall that they do. IS the FD trigger better than the FD, or just more available?
I'm still unsure of where exactly I'm going with my SA22C, but it will be a 13B EFI. Which generation depends on which keg I can make build compression, which will inform which system I use. Also, I guess I need to decide on whether I'm sticking with the stock crossmember of going to the FC front suspension, as that will somewhat important in engine block and front cover choice.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fair point. I like your idea of trimming out the fat on the front cover to begin with. Heck, build in a mount for a sensor for use with a crank trigger wheel, along with all the other mounts and ports you need.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

This is some extremely cool poo poo. Way more involved that I would mess with, but I’m not at all serious about racing. Still fun to watch (both the sport and the building...)
Design and fab work is always interesting to me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh, yeah. I mainly mean that my goals would be more street-oriented, so a whole swath of what you are doing isn’t just overkill, but counter to my use case, and I would put my efforts elsewhere. Fits your use just fine. :)
Design in service of the end goal and all.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

Also designing my own tube notcher because some of the tube miter angles are on the crazy side for anything I can just buy.

Of course you are. :D

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I guess you're going to have the starter extending aft instead of forward as standard? I mean, totally doable if you're building the bell housing, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh, right, the starter is aft of the flywheel on most rotaries. Not sure why I was thinking it was forward.

Edit: ooo, quick change.