Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Welcome sir! Glad to see you still at it.

Also: http://auctions.storagetreasures.co...yes&featured=no

the spyder fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Our shops are equally messy, wahoo! I'm not alone :D. I don't have anything as neat as that pulsejet though.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Since I know basically nothing about building Miata's, I'm hoping you have some low-buck recommendations. We were given a close-to-free 1989 Miata. The goal is to build a very basic auto-x/HPDE car for friends who aren't experienced drivers. This is not being built for any class/competition, just for fun. We have no/low budget.

Here's what I'm planning:
1) All fluids/filters
2) LSD (have one spare)
3) 15" Wheels/Tires (got a good deal from a friend)
4) 2001 calipers/rotors/master cyl
5) Bilstein struts/unknown springs (thanks UpGarage!)
6) Roll bar and hard top
7) Seat drop- several of us are 6'3" +
8) Remove everything unnecessary. We might even make it a trailer-only ride, but we'll see.

And when we kill the 1.6, I have a nice S5 core and Rx-8 trans sitting around.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Congrats! Goodbye time and money!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
... I can't even read the rest of the post. So sorry man. If you ever need anything, you know how to find me.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Changing topics:

Have you read up about the Monsterbox 4 rotor drama? PPRE apparently mis-machined the eshaft and threw the lobes several degrees off. Tossed the rotors into the housings and plates. Let me see if I can find the thread.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Take a read of the last few photos. It's an excellent example of why I stay out of the "main stream". Too many bad shops, too much drama and BS.

https://www.rx7club.com/build-threads-292/monsterbox-4-rotor-1095628/page59/

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
What's your plan for sealing the P-Port inserts? Years ago I started on a design with my machinist buddy, but it's going to take $$$$ in tooling and fixtures. I've never liked the devcon/RTV option- as they always seem to leak after x number of cycles. I originally drew up a fine-threaded insert with orings and using a sealed blocking plate in the coolant passage on each side. Turns out this is pretty common. Chip Motorsports has made a nice o-ring'd side insert that requires additional machining of the housings. Several others have made nice threaded inserts and Rob's working on a set right now with another machinist we know. I kinda want to just make a 13b P-Port using our lathe and devcon'd inserts just to see how long it takes before it cracks. Maybe in a Miata.... hummmmm.

Side note: Stock up on ANYTHING FD related you might need for engine builds now. Mazda is dropping a ton of stock and we're placing a order to hoard known consumables.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
You should! Better yet, go racing for a weekend. I'm sure between you and your dad there's a car ready now. I need motivation to work on our 99 Miata. It needs a solid weekend of work to fix the crash damage and a front bumper. A hard top would be awesome, but $$$$.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Congrats! Goodbye time and money :D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
So what’s the likelihood we could whip up a set for a three and four rotor... asking for a friend.