Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Yessir. Coming from a 98 non-VTEC D-bomber with nearly a quarter million miles, this thing is amazing. I would have liked the 8,000rpm red line but having the midrange torque of the K24 is pretty nice. Still getting used to having a limited slip up front, hitting an apex just right and hammering the throttle is very rewarding. I'm in the same boat as far as keeping the car practical while modifying it. For now I'm looking at coilovers so I can bump the ride height back up for winter. Once the factory warranty is up, I'm probably going to go with bolt-ons and a tune. With a good intake, exhaust and tune, these cars put down around 200 at the wheels. For now it still feels quite peppy after coming from a car that had 105hp 18 years ago when it rolled out of the factory. It will get me through until I can get my hands on a Type R at least. This being my third, I've kind of become an unabashed Honda fanboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Cool car man. Now you just need a SPACE VALVE COVER

I was parking in DTW's long term airport parking the other day. It has a fairly steep ramps up to each level, and in 2nd gear my car was like "bluuuuuuuhhhhhh" going up them. Dat 130 lb/ft of torque :lol: At that moment, I thought "maybe a K24 frankenstein motor wouldn't be a bad thing".

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
pfffft The only way you'll get torque out of a honda is +2 Cylinders. J35a7 4lyfe.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
J32 Fit;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGj227JDIIk

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

PaintVagrant posted:

Cool car man. Now you just need a SPACE VALVE COVER

I was parking in DTW's long term airport parking the other day. It has a fairly steep ramps up to each level, and in 2nd gear my car was like "bluuuuuuuhhhhhh" going up them. Dat 130 lb/ft of torque :lol: At that moment, I thought "maybe a K24 frankenstein motor wouldn't be a bad thing".

Yeah, that was one of the most aggravating things to me when I still had my 07 Si. Though I kept pondering the idea of buying one of those twin screw supercharger kits they make for it.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
A tri-y header with 21 inch primaries and a tune will give you 25 ft-lbs. Also, switching to the k20a/a2 oil pan and pump will get rid of some parasitic loss from the huge-rear end balancer and free up space for a baffle. The one from circle motion is the easiest to install because it just plops in.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The Comptech/Jackson (m62) blower seems the best overall FI option for these cars. Super reliable and pairs beautifully with the power curve of high revving honda motors. Turbo guys seem to blow up poo poo way more often, at least from my anecdotal facebook group/forums reading.

I have definitely considered it, but between the kit and the supporting mods your'e looking at around 5,000 bux total. Sounds pretty cool too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdpNwrpAKGc

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Holy poo poo

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

PaintVagrant posted:

Holy poo poo

278WHP, apparently;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV-7ppRt8Pw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwiY_gg_u7c

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

PaintVagrant posted:

The Comptech/Jackson (m62) blower seems the best overall FI option for these cars. Super reliable and pairs beautifully with the power curve of high revving honda motors. Turbo guys seem to blow up poo poo way more often, at least from my anecdotal facebook group/forums reading.

I have definitely considered it, but between the kit and the supporting mods your'e looking at around 5,000 bux total. Sounds pretty cool too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdpNwrpAKGc

No helmet, weird. That's a quick Civic, for sure... love the sound.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

my kid's mind is blown

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Phone posted:

You're supposed to grease the inner and outer, but it doesn't really matter because they're going to be binding and making a shitload of noise within 2 months. Poly bushings are bullshit.

Serious question: why don't suspension arms ever use ball/needle bearings?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Because suspension links generally don't rotate in a single plane of motion so it would cause binding. Best option is a spherical bearing with a boot sealing it.

I have a lot of poly and it doesn't make any noise because a lot of them are graphite-impregnated self-lubricating deals. The swaybar bushings do need occasional re-greasing.

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 16, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Who makes graphite impregnated poly these days? I thought Whiteline only had swaybar bushings with it.

Poly is sweet because I don't have to worry about torquing it on the ground, but it squeaks almost immediately.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Who makes graphite impregnated poly these days? I thought Whiteline only had swaybar bushings with it.

Turn-in concepts, who I think Jamal has a relationship with, is the only place I've seen them.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

jamal posted:

Because suspension links generally don't rotate in a single plane of motion so it would cause binding. Best option is a spherical bearing with a boot sealing it.

I have a lot of poly and it doesn't make any noise because a lot of them are graphite-impregnated self-lubricating deals. The swaybar bushings do need occasional re-greasing.

Lemforder does this cool sealed OEM grade spherical bearing used in Mercedes and BMWs and some other stuff. I really want to make some GD Subaru links using those.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah was talking about the tic lateral link and trailing link bushings. Cusco makes quite a few that go in stock links, and then spc has a few in what they decided were standard sizes.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Heres a tip: using electric rattleguns in your house requires ear protection. I didn't wear any, so goodbye sounds I guess.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 20, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Finally got an imgur app that I don't hate, time to spam some pics of this I've been up to. Been involved in a search. A search for more revs

I didn't buy a biek yet but it's happening soon. Or maybe I will win one on The Price is Right :lol:

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 20, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
I've been catching up on the terrible car stuff thread and;

Gotta make the car match the valve cover, man. :v:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

If I buy a shitbox bike I'll wrap it in that!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Always wear ear protection when using noisy poo poo. That eeeeeeeeeeee sound you're hearing afterwards? The cillia in your ears dying. :'(

Nice work though, is that the colourscheme those coilovers come with as standard??

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

88h88 posted:

Always wear ear protection when using noisy poo poo. That eeeeeeeeeeee sound you're hearing afterwards? The cillia in your ears dying. :'(

What if I hear that all the time? :smith:

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

Yeah, They dead.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Mmmmm, tinnitus. :love:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

some texas redneck posted:

Pink noise. Not even high volume, just enough to mask it. :(

Also get a set of musician's earplugs for gigs and stuff, unlike most people's understanding of them, they only lower the volume and block out a lot of reverb. You still get the complete gig experience with bass kicking your chest in and the top end stuff is fuckloads clearer. Best buy ever for anyone who actually loves music.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah I'm a dipshit. I've got ear protection in my garage too.

The suspension is Koni str.t (milder yellows without adjustment) and tein s-tech springs. Very well regarded budget suspension option for these cars. I was leery of coils overs because of how bad salt fucks the threads here in potholes and salt town.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's really hard to find good stainless options for coilovers. Even a lot of stainless bodied coilovers still have mild steel collars.

It's the classic kind of Canada problem: Apple engineers make a phone without an under heat warning, Google engineers make a self driving car that shuts off in the snow, Chinese coilover manufacturers use old pot metal mined in a death camp.

Some guys in the Subaru club here have neoprene sleeves they put over the collar and zip tie tight over the winter. I would assume fluid film might also help.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 20, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

It's really hard to find good stainless options for coilovers. Even a lot of stainless bodied coilovers still have mild steel collars.

It's the classic kind of Canada problem: Apple engineers make a phone without an under heat warning, Google engineers make a self driving car that shuts off in the snow, Chinese coilover manufacturers use old pot metal mined in a death camp.

Some guys in the Subaru club here have neoprene sleeves they put over the collar and zip tie tight over the winter. I would assume fluid film might also help.

Yeah I just didnt have the money for a really nice set, and the cheaper sets turn to cancer fast. I like the idea of a collar over them but i honestly just said gently caress it and bought good OE struts and some mild springs. If I need adjustability in the future I might change over, but for what I want out of the car, I think this setup is a good compromise and should perform pretty well.

Also, our roads are in such horrible repair that going a ton stiffer than stock (the car is fairly firm) seems like something I could regret.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

This is too much bike for me but gently caress I want it

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
I could sell you my 81 Honda CM400e if you're interested :q:

loving the thread so far, makes me wish i didn't have a 25 year old D series civic. 38mpg though!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Son of a BITCH

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

KW are stainless with composite collars. And are good.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

jamal posted:

Good to know!

Also, poo poo, I forgot the stupid rubber spring base things on these struts. Have to remove my old ones and use the originals, ugh.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

jamal posted:

Yeah, KW is a good exception, they make excellent stuff.

If memory serves their budget ST coilovers were not stainless steel.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Right, ST coilovers and whatever else they are rebranded as (vogtland?) are made of galvanized steel. V1s are the same damper and spring but stainless.

The older kw competition 2-ways are steel as well, I think because it is a bit stronger. Or just to spend money on internals instead of the housings.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

PaintVagrant posted:

Also, our roads are in such horrible repair that going a ton stiffer than stock (the car is fairly firm) seems like something I could regret.

Stock replacement struts on my Saabaru and lower/stiffer springs felt terrible on our roads. I think I'm done doing suspension mods unless it's coilovers or just sway bars in Michigan. :(

Also you might want to install zerk fittings on your bushings now before installing them. Save you the annoying squeaks all the time if you can easily grease them.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

So I was supposed to to Chicago for a 4 day vacation, but it didn't work out. The weather still sucks but I'm going to work in it anyways and get all this suspension poo poo done during my staycation. Hopefully pics and progress to follow!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
The weather here has been sucking lately, too, so don't feel too bad. I don't know poo poo about Hondas, but I do like seeing people work on cars, so take lots of pictures :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

That's the plan! Picked up a breaker bar extension from lowes, so I think I have everything I need now (famous last words)

• Locked thread