Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
DIE 56K SCUM

Got my lovely garage somewhat sorted out for spring. Its not perfect but my goal was to get my car in there so I can work through the various garbage Spring weather we are having. Intermittent rain, overcast days, apparently even some snow next week. Frustrating, but gently caress it the car is in the garage now. I can at least work with the door open unless its raining mega hard.

First things first: yet another CMC swap :pcgaming: CMC MUSIC FACTORY :pcgaming:

cowl plastic out

cowl metal piece out

battery and MAF sensor out

hot air intake moved out of the way to get to CMC. You can see the stainless line

underpedal box removal of CMC fasteners. Getting this thing out is a total bitch with the stock hardline, but the SS line makes it a breeze*

EM1 CMC out, need to figure out an easy way to disconnect it without dripping brake fluid all over everything. I will prob use a baster to empty the reservoir and hope for the best. I have yet to change one of these and not make a huge loving mess. This is where I stopped as I ran out of time (doing this during my kids nap)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

That seems like the worst place possible for an intake. What the gently caress was that company thinking? :psyduck:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Elmnt80 posted:

That seems like the worst place possible for an intake. What the gently caress was that company thinking? :psyduck:

1: "gently caress, there's nowhere this drat pod filter fits."
2: "Just put it like, right at the firewall."
1: "won't that completely defeat the point, making the car neither louder nor faster?"
2: "eh, honda owners don't know any better. tell them it's for better in cabin noise by being right at the firewall"
1: "THAT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE"
2: "HONDA OWNERS, DAVE"
1: "UGH FINE"

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

To make cool chewbacca getting his nuts gargled noises, you either buy a hot air intake or a cold air intake that requires a battery relocation. I'm probably going to go cai when I actually tune the car, but I'm under no illusion that the short ran intake isn't just a noisemaker :v:

Edit
: the stock airbox runs that far back too. Cramped bay.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Assuming there is some kind of intake around the bottom of the screen for it to draw from, there are worse places to put it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I got the replacement OEM CMC installed and bled. Next up is front suspension stuff!

also:

If you have an 8th gen civic, this is an invaluable resource:

http://civic.hondafitjazz.com/manual2.html

(full factory manual online)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Holy poo poo. Apparently there was a batch of Tein springs mislabelled (reversed right and left) and of course I got a set of them!

Between my noobiness and general lack of familiarity, there was about 30 minutes of quizzical looks at the old spring...then the new spring and strut...then trying to fit the together. Like caveman huddled around the fire trying to re-assemble a broken rock, I held various strut parts in my hand with a furrowed brow, squatting near my space heater as snow fell outside.

Upon this revelation, I decided to TAKE A FUCKIN BREAK and eat some lunch. Sigh.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Jesus Christ. Every time I think about an 8th gen, I'm going to look at that first engine bay shot. I almost feel like it needs a doghouse inside somewhere just so you can get to the rest of the engine.

Elmnt80 posted:

And uh.. where do you see another place for it? :colbert:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

God built 8th gens to test the faithful

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Doing the entire passenger side suspension:

hateful worn out OEM strut out

somethings missing!

had to reuse that rubber thing at the bottom, when I first built the struts I didnt realize I needed that:

get tight

and finally stabbed the loving thing in there. Getting the bolt holes on the bottom of the strut lined up on the knuckle holes was a loving bitch. Lots of swearing before the first bolt just magically slid in. Felt real nice man

Next up: replace control arm and sway bar links

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

For a long time I thought about getting a Hondata refresh for the lowered VTEC crossover, extra revs, and adjusted throttle drive by wire response, but I think I'd settle with my 8th gen just having fully working cold AC and the rubber parts not rotting and expensive to replace.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

PaintVagrant posted:

and finally stabbed the loving thing in there. Getting the bolt holes on the bottom of the strut lined up on the knuckle holes was a loving bitch. Lots of swearing before the first bolt just magically slid in. Felt real nice man

Isn't that the best feeling ever?

"You little motherfucker why won't you just get in there get in you bitch why the gently caress won't you go in what the gently caress do you want which way do you need to go- *clunk* -ah! Yes!"

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
I want a supercharger

and a space valve cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS1ssK8UTzg

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Good news:

Got both front struts replaced and can return the spring compressor tools to pep boys.

Bad news:

It started snowing, and I stripped the hex end of a very rusty swaybar link, halting any progress on control arms in its tracks. poo poo gently caress cocks

I guess my options at this point are just skip the arms for now, and take it to a shop and have them installed (Boooo) or go buy an angle grinder and chop that link off. I've got replacements on hand. I am just running out of weekend and if I keep running into rust-induced delays I might be in trouble getting this car running by Tuesday.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Go buy an angle grinder. There are seriously useful to have around.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Just bought one! Cheap HF 4.5" with some named brand wheels of course.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I think for now I am just going to swap the struts and springs, skip the arms and poo poo until its warmer. Its goddamn 30 out with a chance of rain, the only reason I am working outside at all today is because I have the weekend free and my car now has 1/2 of a koni suspension. gently caress Michigan.

I will take my chances on running a week or so without an alignment on the new struts.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

And I quit. The rear lower strut bolts are turbo seized on both sides. The angle of the bolt is slightly down so using a big rear end breaker bar isnt working out, and if I keep going I am going to strip it. Just loving rust city. Looks like I am driving with some rake (front is now lower than the rear) til I can take it to a shop tomorrow to get all this poo poo installed. What a pain in the dick. Really frustrated.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

PaintVagrant posted:

And I quit. The rear lower strut bolts are turbo seized on both sides. The angle of the bolt is slightly down so using a big rear end breaker bar isnt working out, and if I keep going I am going to strip it. Just loving rust city. Looks like I am driving with some rake (front is now lower than the rear) til I can take it to a shop tomorrow to get all this poo poo installed. What a pain in the dick. Really frustrated.

They do that... it sucks rear end. There's a steel sleeve inside the bushing, and the bolt welds itself into the sleeve, and even if you can turn it, it only comes out as far as the threads, or it starts prying the flange apart. I had to torch the lower shock mount off my wife's Fit with 100K on it when we did the shocks. :(

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

PaintVagrant posted:

Just bought one! Cheap HF 4.5" with some named brand wheels of course.

The red one? I've got that one too and I've been beating on it for a while now. Do yourself a favor - tear the head apart and clean out all the garbage grease that they pack it with. poo poo looks like earwax. Replace it with some good high temp stuff. I used the red wheel bearing grease in mine.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

The red one? I've got that one too and I've been beating on it for a while now. Do yourself a favor - tear the head apart and clean out all the garbage grease that they pack it with. poo poo looks like earwax. Replace it with some good high temp stuff. I used the red wheel bearing grease in mine.

Yeah the red one. I'll do that, thanks!

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Molybdenum disulfide grease is better :v:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Man what is it with Hondas and rust? I did the timing belt on my friend's civic and when we got to the crank bolt it literally took both me and my dad a few attempts, a stop to wonder if it was left hand threaded, a broken socket, and then a trip to the store for another more heavy duty one to get it free.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

1500quidporsche posted:

Man what is it with Hondas and rust? I did the timing belt on my friend's civic and when we got to the crank bolt it literally took both me and my dad a few attempts, a stop to wonder if it was left hand threaded, a broken socket, and then a trip to the store for another more heavy duty one to get it free.

That has nothing to do with rust, and everything to do with it being a Honda crank bolt. They're insanely tight from the factory, for good reason. That bolt is the true test of an impact gun, and is often people's reasons for buying them.

I don't think there's another bolt that necessitates its own socket: Lisle 77080
http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-77080-Harmonic-Balancer-Socket/dp/B00RGNCV1U

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 4, 2016

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

sharkytm posted:

That has nothing to do with rust, and everything to do with it being a Honda crank bolt. They're insanely tight from the factory, for good reason. That bolt is the true test of an impact gun, and is often people's reasons for buying them.

I don't think there's another bolt that necessitates its own socket: Lisle 77080
http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-77080-Harmonic-Balancer-Socket/dp/B00RGNCV1U

Holy poo poo. Am I missing something or is that just basically the world's thickest-walled 19mm socket?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Holy poo poo. Am I missing something or is that just basically the world's thickest-walled 19mm socket?

The possibility of us busting a motor mount trying to knock this thing free was raised. There's no way you'd ever get me to crack one of those as a favor for someone again.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
The added mass of the socket adds a lot of force to the impact, more of a push than a punch.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I've heard old men tell tall tales of such a bolt.

But I never thought I'd see one in my own garage.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Got my car back from the shop, the dinguses didnt install my rear springs (left the stocks in) and installed the koni struts. I now drive a wacky racer civic with Serious Rake. I am taking it back Thursday so they can fix it, jesus christ. I also had them do the front sway links. Despite sportbike geometry, the car feels like it handles better.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

some texas redneck posted:

Jesus Christ. Every time I think about an 8th gen, I'm going to look at that first engine bay shot. I almost feel like it needs a doghouse inside somewhere just so you can get to the rest of the engine.

And uh.. where do you see another place for it? :colbert:

I missed this post. It isn't much better on the 9th gens either. Step one of replacing the downpipe is removing the wipers and cowl :getin:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

With all the room under hood the CRV is clearly the superior Civic platform for modding.

I bet a J series would fit. :getin:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Yeah but those fit in a Fit :v:

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
I did MODZZZ

By that I mean I stuck some visors on the windows and hung some fuzzy dice on the mirror. I also stuck one of those stupid roof spoiler things on the back window. Not sure if I like it or not and it does nothing to improve aerodynamics. Now that the weather is getting nice (I have no garage), it's time to start looking at suspension. I have a couple of kits in mind and I'm definitely stepping up the sway bar in the rear. A little more push in the back should definitely wake up this car's handling. I spent a good portion of my weekend tearing up backroads and having a blast so I started really getting a feel for the complexities of the handling. The ricer in me wants to slap an intake on it just so I can hear that sweet, sweet sound of VTEC. The engineers at Honda made the crossover a lot smoother in these cars, and intakes don't do much for power without a tune so it'd pretty much just be a noisemaker.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Brazzers logo goes on the snowfoam photo when you're cleaning it. ;)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I can adjust a modern Honda cmc by feel now :clint: which is good because my shitbox back doesn't really love laying under the pedals anymore

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Do the 8th gens have the stupid clutch delay valve?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yep

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Just got a chance to take a look at the work the local shop did. Trying to cool down because if I walk over there (they are very close to my house) I might actually hurt someone. Needless to say, I am going to have to probably replace at least one rear trailing arm.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Lawyer up!