Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
baller af OP, doin' the lords work

a return of an old page 1 tradition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
plate racing is far more indicative of the lovely nature of NASCAR than caution clocks or playoffs are

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Just watched a piece on Raceline with Steven Wallace, holy poo poo is that a different dude. He's running super late models now, admittedly with a great sponsor and top notch poo poo, but it's just him and his CC building the cars and running the ship and he seemed 1,000% more mature.

I'd almost say he'd make a good racer now.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's almost Volusia time so have some mods and a hilariously bad song

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
:smith:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Muddy Burphy posted:

You may be able to call him a ride stealer, but one thing you can't call him is "Cup Champion."

fuckin rekt like a fat man's quad

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Can't call him a killer, either.

tell that to Casey Mears' career

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Harveygod posted:

Mercy killing doesn't count.

BLM man, backmarker lives matter

e- GUY SUCKS, DON'T ROOT

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I only support drivers who sell merchandise, sorry

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I drew a 23 on a napkin a few years ago, gonaa cross it out, put a 21 on it and wave that

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Smoke to miss the start of the season with a burst fracture of the L1 vertebra

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Possibly Chicken posted:

Here lies Larry flame Stewart he never won a Dayton 500

To be fair, he's only retiring from running Cup full time. He already said he'll run NASCAR races in the future and I'm sure the 500 is one of those.

The thing this fucks over is Lebanon Valley kicked out the Outlaws this year and is having the All-Stars instead. Shows how badly WoO is doing. In any case it's on an off week for NASCAR and Smoke was gonna be there for a meet and greet, so now I dunno if that'll happen.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
put Rico in the loving thing

e- or Schatz

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
what? you mean shitheels were in NASCAR before today?!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Man, I let their posts speak for themselves. When dudes are posting about how great Bernie would be at the helm of NASCAR, I don't even know what the gently caress.

In modified news, the HBR team just signed a bunch of dudes to run full or part time, chief among them a kid named Max McLaughlin, and his crew chief dad Mike "Magic Shoes" McLaughlin, and another driver named Dave Blaney. So at Eastern States this year we might have Mike McLaughlin, Dave Blaney, Jimmy Horton and Gary Balough, it's like fuckin' 1984 all over again.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The idea is as poo poo as poo poo gets

The only thing worse than aerodynamics in racing is the prospect of team owners getting a guaranteed profit

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
If I was an open team I'd drive like loving Cole Trickle in the races because gently caress NASCAR and gently caress Charter teams.

Oh hey look a part of my car that's still in "good standing" with NASCAR!

*kick*

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's not equal among Charter teams from what I saw, it's still based on finish only it cuts down to 36 from 43 the number of cars sharing it so it goes up marginally. The funny thing about this is when that marginal increase is spread across a 4 team behemoth, and they all finish in the top 20 (never happens!) and a 2 car charter team both finish in the back, well, you can see how fair the distribution gets and how it still favors the big teams.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
crying about the 43 starter thing is a bit dumb because for the bulk of NASCAR history starters varied by track

it's the combination of that with the Charters that sucks, but 40 car fields I'm fine with

also I'm tired of explaining to old men that they start 43 because of DW sucking rear end and not because Petty retired and has an honorary spot any time he wants to try and come back

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cygni posted:

right and there are plenty of stalls at daytona so they could start the cars

or they could start 24 like the Outlaws or any other arbitrary number

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
They have footage of Turner's '67 Chevelle crash

:stare:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Holy poo poo, young hot shoe jumps into top team known for plate track success and does well

it's a conspiracy

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I mean, it takes a journeyman, salt of the earth type of driver to wrangle one of these cars by holding it wide open and gradually bumping the wheel left, no way they could just bust out a fast lap that young, lemme tell ya

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the missile knows where it is by knowing where it isn't, and it knows where it isn't because it knows where it is

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
lolarca took 2 laps

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
we gon get a guy on his lid in this I think

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
only in arca will you see three cars hit the wall and come to a rest together a hundred yards away welded together exactly as they were when they hit the wall

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Junebug was just on FS1 talking to Kenny Wallace and he was all goony and :3: about getting to meet supermod legend Bentley Warren

Junyer continues to own

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

gret posted:

Racing is better than no racing.

emptyquotin' this cause it's true and I give no fucks

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CBJSprague24 posted:

The last 4 Daytona 500 poles-

Rookie Sensation Danica Patrick

The Return of the 3

The End of One Era

The Start of Another

SHR
Childress
Hendrick
Hendrick

yeah, the fix is in these teams suck rear end at plate racing, and there's no way a rookie can master "hold it wide open, stupid"

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Larson belongs in the 14 in all honesty

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

L_Harrison posted:

But who gets it next year? We must preserve this guess for 365 more days. I say it's Tony Stewart, because he's retired from full-season racing but obviously driving at Daytona to get that elusive 500 win. It might be his last appearance, and it's the perfect headline story, especially after missing the 2016 Great American Race.

Clint Bowyer is signed for the 14 next year.

This certainly isn't the last 500 for Smoke, the only thing he said he's retiring from is Cup point racing. He's going to probably race more than ever, if his back heals ok.

e- also you're fooling yourself if you think his recent weight loss is anything other than prep for the Indy 500 next year, watch

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
presented without comment

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

kidcoelacanth posted:

What am I looking for, here

What arhj said, the roof flap is kicked up.

For those not as savvy on the technical side, it works like this. You have your two rear tires, left rear and right rear. As you're in the gas, the two tires perform different functions. The right rear drives you around the turns. The left rear powers you down the straight. Now, at Daytona, the right rear is of far less concern than most tracks. You still need the left rear to get the drive down the straight, but you can get away with chopping some downforce away from the right rear.

Now, the roof flap. That small kick up, when flowing air and extrapolated the few feet to the rear spoiler, causes the air to miss the spoiler. Air still flows over the driver side of the car and affects the spoiler as normal, but the "passenger" side roof flap deflects the air. This causes some drag but is far less drag overall than if the spoiler caught that same air.

To see this in practice, observe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLtqCowON-A <---- Mikey's spoiler "breaks" coming to the white flag. I'll let the last lap speak for itself.

Remove the right rear spoiler from the air, trade some mid corner grip for less drag on the straight.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 15, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

SpitztheGreat posted:

That is a great explanation, thank you. I figured it was something to do with getting air off of the spoiler, but your description of how the rear tires preform different functions was very helpful.

I had never seen that truck race before, that is insane. What was the outcome?

He was fined, team was fined, CC suspended and the win stood IIRC

that was the most blatant cheat I've seen in 35 years of watching this poo poo

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

keevo posted:

How'd they get his spoiler to break on the last lap though?

they never said but it was likely gimmicked before the race then triggered with a cable or electronically

it's a perfectly vertical break in a one piece unit, I mean c'mon lol

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Elephanthead posted:

Are Trucks tonight?

Tomorrow night, today is the 150's at 7pm EST

e- Also, IT'S FUCKIN TIME FOR RACIN TODAY BOYS

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 18, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the day Kenny Schrader invented a dance craze that swept the nation

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
on this day I celebrate my Lord and personal Savior William Tecumseh Sherman's glorious victory by way of fire over Columbia, South Carolina in general and the South Carolina State House in particular

:sherman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Boomer The Cannon posted:

How could we forget?

Kyle's sponsor said this would happen

• Locked thread