Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Doc Morbid posted:

Well, that safety car only took forever to come out after the Mercedes went into the wall.

Must have been the same race control that was in charge of the DeltaWang incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Being able to watch this in great quality on YouTube for free is some good poo poo

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

That 911 Cup exhaust note is still my fav, i dunno why.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ferrari hosed again.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Goetta posted:

Being able to watch this in great quality on YouTube for free is some good poo poo
I wish all racing series did this kind of thing. Obviously that's a total pipe dream and never gonna happen due to licensing and TV contract money and all that stuff, but I certainly would watch a hell of a lot more racing if I didn't have to hunt for lovely low-quality streams on dodgy websites or buy horribly overpriced pay-TV packages. Maybe we'll get there sometime around the year 2084...

and yeah, a Ferrari having an off is not exactly news at this point

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I really am hopeful of racing series having full archives of TV broadcasts going back decades at some point. Mainly because I want to throw away my DVD collection.

(MotoGP has it going back since the 90s but some of the races are in awful sub-Youtube quality)

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Alain Post posted:

I really am hopeful of racing series having full archives of TV broadcasts going back decades at some point. Mainly because I want to throw away my DVD collection.

(MotoGP has it going back since the 90s but some of the races are in awful sub-Youtube quality)

I'd pay lots of money for a streaming F1 service with access to old races.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Norns posted:

I'd pay lots of money for a streaming F1 service with access to old races.
So would I, but for that kind of service to even be a slight possibility we need Bernie to kick the bucket and be replaced by someone who knows what the internet is. I'm pretty sure Bernie will outlive all of us, though.

edit: oof, Mercedes buried in the tyres

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 7, 2016

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Nissan has flipped the bullshit mode switch.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Doc Morbid posted:

I wish all racing series did this kind of thing. Obviously that's a total pipe dream and never gonna happen due to licensing and TV contract money and all that stuff, but I certainly would watch a hell of a lot more racing if I didn't have to hunt for lovely low-quality streams on dodgy websites or buy horribly overpriced pay-TV packages. Maybe we'll get there sometime around the year 2084...

Seems as if all of the official webstreams of races have been sponsored by manufacturers. Nissan is doing the 12h now. Audi usually does the Nurburgring 24h. Doesn't Mazda and Corvette do streaming too?

It might actually be more of an incentive to manufacturers to kick in for official HD livestreams, either with one of them being the full sponsor or several of them kicking in to fund it.. Makes it way easier for those loyal to the brands to follow the race, and for race fans to get more exposed to the brands that are racing. People will probably be much more likely to watch a whole race (like us) if they could easily/legally access it over the Internet. Car makers would definitely want to see that, even if the TV networks would balk at it.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

So I just became the stoned instructor of endurance racing at a party. I feel accomplished. Also this racing is good.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

ayn rand hand job posted:

Nissan has flipped the bullshit mode switch.

And then turned it to 10 that last lap, holy poo poo.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Katsumasa Chiyo :japan:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That final lap was ridiculous

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

WindyMan posted:

Goddamn what a last few laps

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Good poo poo. Probably only bright spot for McLaren unless Honda gets it poo poo together. Chiyo sure as poo poo tried.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Shane Van Gisbergen posted:

The Nissan? Yeah, we had him covered. Anytime he did a lap I just stuck the knife in and did the same

more like savage van gisbergen

WindyMan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD0T0XWBC40

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Chiyo rush not enough to beat scaled vector graphics.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
That was a bloody good race.

I'm completely unfamiliar with motorsport. I used to like F1, but now it sucks, I used to like the V8 Supercars which now sucks almost as much as F1, but this was a great race.

Is there a big GT3 league that I should be paying attention to?

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

H13 posted:

I'm completely unfamiliar with motorsport. I used to like F1, but now it sucks, I used to like the V8 Supercars which now sucks almost as much as F1, but this was a great race.

Blancpain Endurance and Sprint series are the big ones. Pirelli World Challenge is also good, and IMSA runs a GT3 category.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I can't believe I stayed up until 9 AM to watch the whole thing (staying up all night is nothing new for me and my often hosed-up sleep cycle, but I've never watched a full endurance race), but those last few laps were worth it and I learned that Katsumasa Chiyo is awesome. :japan:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

H13 posted:

IMSA GTD (GT3 specs) is good, but IMSA GTLM looks like it might be completely nuts this year.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Better than the average V8Supercar Bathurst. Not saying much but it was interesting. The GT3 cars are mindblowing thru the Chase and the Bentley the coolest racecar of all time.

The last GTR rush really was just how Bathurst usually goes, lead car backs off with three laps to go, second makes futile attempt that looks heroic but is pointless and wont work. Van Gisbergen had clearly switched off and was never going to be overtaken.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

H13 posted:

GT3 itself is a rules package, so companies build cars and an organizing body or two help balance them out - it's how such different cars as the GT-R and Audi R8 can be competitive and run similar laptimes.

Those above mentioned are series where GT3 is the top class (or only class), and there are others where they'll be a lower-tier class - GTD in IMSA in the US is one such example. GT300 in Japanese SuperGT is another.

GT3 is a really great move and it's become a really interesting and successful formulae.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Alain Post posted:

IMSA GTD (GT3 specs) is good, but IMSA GTLM looks like it might be completely nuts this year.

Certainly LeMans is going to be fairly mental. The Corvettes, 911s and Fords from the US meet the Aston Martins, Ferraris and er... Fords from the WEC.

So many good cars, and that's even ignoring that the amateur cars can absolutely fight with them if they gently caress up even a little bit.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Certainly LeMans is going to be fairly mental. The Corvettes, 911s and Fords from the US meet the Aston Martins, Ferraris and er... Fords from the WEC.

So many good cars, and that's even ignoring that the amateur cars can absolutely fight with them if they gently caress up even a little bit.

LM-spec Am cars are going to be 2015 spec this year but that may still allow them to be dangerous in the 24. But for the sprint races, yeah, forget it.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Alain Post posted:

I have extremely high hopes for the GTLM class this year, shits gonna be nuts in the best way possible.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Sucks BMW wont be at Lemans again. Apparently we were pretty close to Porsche's GTLM cars not being there either.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

LM-spec Am cars are going to be 2015 spec this year but that may still allow them to be dangerous in the 24. But for the sprint races, yeah, forget it.

Yeah, and I quite like that actually.

It lowers the incentive to "cheat" the driver rankings to get into the Am class but also means lower budgets for the Am guys.

I assume that's how Andrew Howard's managed to put together the package to run the Beachdean entry with AMR, which is where my cheerleading will be going.

That said, I'm REALLY going to enjoy the Ford UK v US meta-race.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I for one enjoy the little grenade of snark being thrown by the works Vettes this year - American flag design around the front wheel ducting that also says "Made in the USA". Because the Ford GT is from north of the Maple Curtain, natch.

I also like the "Am = last year's car" rules, but it wasn't that case last year and I don't think much changed. It's a good cost-savings and way to get use from the cars though.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
So some BTCC news: Honda are expanded to three cars this year. Everyone was hoping they'd use it to give a chance to some promising talent. A future hotshot getting to spend a year learning in the best car alongside two drivers with great experience - a great advert for the health of the series. It's.going to Andy Neate aka Provincial Maldonado. Cash, crashes and no talent. As 2012 team mate to Plato he got outscored 376 to 79...

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Feb 8, 2016

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Oh god.

I'd rather have actual Maldonado.

At least most of the other CEO ride buyers are either competent or polite.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
There are going to be seven Type Rs this year. There's still a TBC in the third Eurotech car but I'll expect him to be the worst of the Hondas...

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.motorsport.com/automotive/news/epa-moves-to-restrict-road-to-racecar-conversions-672564

quote:

It was previously understood the EPA regulations excluded vehicles modified for competitive use only, but the EPA wants to assert that the policy does not allow the modification and removal of EPA-certified emissions controls in road vehicles, even those meant solely for the track.

It was thought that vehicles modified for competitive use did not have to be in compliance with the EPA-set emission standards, but apparently not. Grassroots racers around the country and parts manufacturers are understandably concerned as to what this means for them if a crackdown on non-complying parts and the cars that use them were to actually happen.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

To clarify:

EPA Spokesperson Laura Allen posted:

This clarification does not affect EPA's enforcement authority. It is still illegal to tamper with or defeat the emission control systems of motor vehicles. In the course of selecting cases for enforcement, the EPA has and will continue to consider whether the tampered vehicle is used exclusively for competition. The EPA remains primarily concerned with cases where the tampered vehicle is used on public roads, and more specifically with aftermarket manufacturers who sell devices that defeat emission control systems on vehicles used on public roads.

Who knows what they're going to do with this one, technically, they've been always able to rock your poo poo for club racing if your thing has a VIN on it, they've just never enforced it. If it goes through and they try to kill SCCA etc, someone will come up with a loophole to circumvent it, might make it impossible for you to go and buy a Miata from the lot and strip the guts out and turn it into a MX-5 Cup racer, but there will still be a route for people to get their hands on those cars, modify them, and race them, of that I am sure.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 10, 2016

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Some of it sounds like this is going after rolling coal asswipes which they deserve a meteor right on them. Bits and pieces of this regulation seem contradictory of itself and overly complicated that it could use refining to give a clearer idea of what the intention is.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

Some of it sounds like this is going after rolling coal asswipes which they deserve a meteor right on them. Bits and pieces of this regulation seem contradictory of itself and overly complicated that it could use refining to give a clearer idea of what the intention is.

Unfortunately, it's going to be impossible to have a civilized discussion of the actual intent of what they're trying to clarify, because it is a hot-button nexus/honeypot of ARE FREEDUMBS, BAH GUBBERMINT, MAH RAIGHTS, and EEEEEPEEEEAAAAAA/FEMA DEATH CAMPS that all feed into each other like a human centipede of hyperbolic reaction and kneejerk bullshit. These groups also tend to have large diesel trucks where they've intentionally disabled the emissions controls on them.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 10, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

BMB5150 posted:

So I just became the stoned instructor of endurance racing at a party. I feel accomplished. Also this racing is good.

first time I did the whole Le Mans was the same way, friends parents were on vacation and we watched the whole thing wrecked on various stuff, it was great

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

BMB5150 posted:

Yeah, i think the real intent is to stop stupid companies named WrextXtremeSportTune420 from selling poo poo to idiots that can quickly modify/un-modify their cars to get around pollution regs, while the company can just say 'well its for race use only!!'. For every 1 guy that wants to buy a sports exhaust to actually go racing, there are 100 ricers or coal rollers that want to put it on the streetcar and drive around for 100,000 miles, only taking it off for smog checks (or just paying off their bro Trent at the smog station to put in a fake record)

Problem is writing a single regulation that clamps down on idiots while not ruining the good natured, harmless fun of the minority. Which i guess is a problem with lots of laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's like any other feel-good regulation imposed on people. Yeah, coal rolling douchebags are cancer, but when you throw them up against commercial fleets of big rigs that are borderline maintained, the amount of pollution generated isn't even comparable.

Of course, guess which is easier to regulate, is more visible from a PR standpoint and doesn't affect commerce as much

• Locked thread