Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

drgitlin posted:

Put together a WEC preseason post for Ars since the LMP1s have all been unveiled now: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/03/2016s-wec-hybrids-this-years-coolest-racing-cars-take-to-the-track/

The changes to the R18 sound really interesting with them switching to a battery system.

I need to put some effort into watching WEC this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001
Pretty much everyone runs a standard funny car chassis now just to be safe. Don't get me wrong, I see some deathtraps, but most everyone starts with a funny car chassis.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

the_worm_ posted:

Pretty much everyone runs a standard funny car chassis now just to be safe. Don't get me wrong, I see some deathtraps, but most everyone starts with a funny car chassis.

I was more referring to the guys in Nanook or the Winged Express who grumble to each other at the March Meet lol

e- even the Winged Express has a funny car cage nowadays

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

http://www.racer.com/latest-stories/item/127723-modern-formula-5000-tasman-series-planned

This looks fun.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Ridiculous that in Australia of all places, nobody thought of this years ago.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm pretty sure I suggested it years ago and everyone got mad at me

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Seems similar to that spec Can-Am series from a few years ago. Did they ever start racing, im too lazy to google.

Also now you gone and done it. You gave me an excuse to post some of my dads F-5000 pictures.

1969, he ran this rad McLaren M10B for Lothar Motchenbacher out of the Traco Engineering engine shop that provided the Chevy engines. He's the doof in the car, look for the floppy hair and mustache in the rest of the pics to find em:

1970, he was worked on this pair of Chevy powered Lotus 70's for Dick Smothers (who was a TV comedian. Seriously) and George Wintersteen:

Love the WW2 ammo cans:

71-72 we went back to work for Lothar and ran various McLaren F-5000 and Can Am cars for him. I prolly have some pics somewhere

73, he went to work for Hogan as the chief mechanic on David Hobb's car. Here he is in the Lola factory looking at their new T-330 Chevy getting assembled. Look at how its a goddamn mess in the background. Don't think chassis constructor buildings look like that now:

At the track (Road America?) Look at Hobbs in the background with the amazing mustache. This is what a PROFESSIONAL racing operation looked like at the time, ha. Grass paddock and all.

And 75-77, he worked for Vel's Parnelli Jones Racing as chief mechanic for Al Unser, Mario Andretti, and Danny Ongais at various times in F-5000, IndyCar, and F1. Heres my dad and Big Al with their names on the car. Pic rules:

They spent a couple years as one of the superteams in US racing. Here's a cool front row lockout at Laguna, ready to roll off with matching Lola T332s:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Cygni, that's cool as gently caress. Thanks for posting those.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

I'm pretty sure I suggested it years ago and everyone got mad at me

We talked about this in IRC once and it was, and is, a good idea.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

We have some cool dads in this thread.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Um yikes... :smith:

http://www.imsa.com/articles/statement-crawford-family

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

:ohdear:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Just about every touring car series kicks off this weekend, BTCC at Brands Hatch, ETCC and WTCC at Paul Ricard and TCR at Bahrain.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
TCR looks intriguing but Bahrain is not a very inspiring track to kick off a season. I guess being an F1 support series is kinda cool though.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
As if there wasnt enough racing this weekend, the 24H series Silverstone race is about to start and video is on radiolemans.com Only 40-something cars though and no GT cars

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

As if there wasnt enough racing this weekend, the 24H series Silverstone race is about to start and video is on radiolemans.com Only 40-something cars though and no GT cars

Yeah I was reading about this, apparently the race organisers run a touring car endurance series and made this race touring car only to promote that series. No doubt this effectively being touring car weekend had something to do with it as well.

E: Speaking of touring cars, TCR is streaming their races live.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 2, 2016

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

That's not good.

Did she and Andy Wallace divorce? I am positive they were married but the article says her husband is called Russ.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

It's almost over, but Formula E from Long Beach is live now on FS1.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Phoenix stands still looking a bit Fontana-like.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Nice to see the highly intelligent British marshalls back in action at Brands

https://twitter.com/123pnz/status/716576544441942016

https://twitter.com/JackPearson93/status/716576583658516480

CactusWeasle fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 3, 2016

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Second V8SC race at Symmons Plains was good stuff, worth seeking out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

First WTCC race at Paul Ricard was also pretty good in the midpack, should be an interesting second race later. BTCC is another level though.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
That Ginetta race was ace, the Red Menace Cam Roberts a highlight.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

HJB posted:

That Ginetta race was ace, the Red Menace Cam Roberts a highlight.

Yeah seriously that was awesome. The racing is god drat non-stop this weekend, TCR race 2 just started.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

So much racing to watch once I get home! The drought is over!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Norns posted:

So much racing to watch once I get home! The drought is over!

Except in California, where we have an actual and literal drought

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

njsykora posted:

First WTCC race at Paul Ricard was also pretty good in the midpack, should be an interesting second race later. BTCC is another level though.

WTCC being good?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah it's weird. Apparently the second race was also pretty decent but I haven't seen it yet. The only real issue I had is that Paul Ricard isn't much of a spectator's track.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

BTCC in the US starts next week at 9:00PM Eastern on CBSSN with the condensed Brands Hatch broadcast. Expect the rest of the broadcasts to be in the same time slots 9-10 days after the race runs.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I hope they show the Ginetta Jr. races. That was some incredibly entertaining racing.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It always is. Ginetta Jrs is basically any given karting championship but someone thought to give 14 year olds a 3 figure number of horsepower.

It's glorious.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Blancpain Sports Club qualifying race is starting under safety car on a wet track. Good start to the season.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
link http://www.blancpainsportsclub.com/gt/live/

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

njsykora posted:

Blancpain Sports Club qualifying race is starting under safety car on a wet track. Good start to the season.

Pretty excited for this.

Been sim racing a lot of GT3 cars recently and someone recommended this series.

Sadly I'm currently at work...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sports Club race was pretty good, was fun watching the pole guys completely lose all their pace once the dry line started to appear. The Sprint series qualifying race should be starting in about 40 minutes.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
GT coverage started now, green at 10 to the hour

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

If you're in the US you will be geoblocked but hey youtube has got ya covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch9S5mo2sPY

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ferrari, Merc and Audi going to loving war for 2nd. This race owns.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's awesome stuff.

So. Many. Audi's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Full course yellow right as the pit window was closing, the Bentley team just went from the 20s to 1st.

• Locked thread