Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I have a feeling this is just part of a larger effort on expansion of post sales testing of cars after the whole VW thing. Probably there is a lot of liability to clarify, not that these documents are a mess any way. Who knows with the EPA anyway.

The EPA testing center here has a hardened gate with those giant wedge gates to prevent people from driving a car bomb into the facility, it's really bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

harperdc posted:

And then there are some states without emissions at all - college roommate had a new Suburban from Colorado he didn't have to smog check at all. It was weird.

I agree there's largely bigger fish to go after (the biggest of them all are ships, really, those things pollute like crazy) and I'm sure in time this will be clarified. Probably means the end of straight pipes on street cars, or for BETTER things that still remain emissions legal.

The EPA center is for OEMs. We don't have emissions testing either, but I guess because Michigan. We have a ban on speed cameras and red light cameras too.

I think this thing is blown out of proportion, because of SEMA. I'm sure there are good companies who are members of SEMA but there's also bullshit like Fuel Doctor and cheap lovely ECU reflashers guaranteed to grenade your engine, and it will be hard to shed tears if those kinds of companies get shut down. They can get hosed.
Considering there are many 400hp+ passenger cars that meet emissions, I don't see the need to remove emissions controls for tracking cars. For sure there are corner cases like LeMons and transiting rally cars that are just in poor condition but I doubt they'll get banned.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Yeah i'd seen that video before, that's what I was referencing. I wasn't sure if they had only a clutch or not, makes sense since 6000 HP would just fuse everything in the drivetrain together or shred it to pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_7wpe7aeKc

Here they knock the clutch pack off with a hammer and slide all the new plates on between runs.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I'm the wing element holding up the side mirror

• Locked thread