Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
People talk about a wage gap, say that women only make 70 some odd cents to the dollar that men make. I've seen people post studies that prove it. Then I've seen other people say that's not true, and they post studies that prove it. I don't know much about things, so I got no idea who's right. I want this settled just for my own benefit. Do women really get paid less than men for the same work?

And none of that "well, women tend towards lower wage jobs so," or "women don't get maternity leave so," faffery.

Here's the question: "Statistically speaking, in the United States of America, in the year 2016, if a man and a woman work the same job, have the same job title, put in the same hours, etc., are they paid the same?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

yes no

edit: misread the question

Condiv fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 30, 2016

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
no yes

edit: misread the question

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 30, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
yes and no in order, glad i could help op

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Maybe?

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011
*ambiguous Indian head nod*

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

The gap is definitely smaller if you control for profession, job title, etc but it's still there. Also controlling for those variables ignores the question, why are so many men in higher paying professions, or more likely to receive promotions to work under higher paying job titles? The answer is often discrimination.

e:

boom boom boom posted:

Here's the question: "Statistically speaking, in the United States of America, in the year 2016, if a man and a woman work the same job, have the same job title, put in the same hours, etc., are they paid the same?"
Within the narrow purview of the question you've asked, the answer is no. Statistical studies controlling for various factors have only managed to reduce the wage gap, not eliminate it.

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 30, 2016

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My husband and I worked for the same company with the same job title. I actually had more experience than him and was doing the job longer than him when he got promoted into it and he got paid more.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There's multiple issues, basically:

- Controlling for the same job position, men are paid more than women

- The highest paying jobs are predominantly male (and women tend to quit these jobs faster than men)

- The education tracks required to get into these high paying jobs are again predominantly male

Each of these issues are related and add up to having major consequences for the wage gap.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
In discussions of the wage gap I've seen previously, the people who brought up women working lower wage jobs thing did it to argue against the wage gap. "Of course a nurse is going to be paid less than a doctor", they would say. I'm surprised to see that used as an argument for the existence of a wage gap.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

boom boom boom posted:

In discussions of the wage gap I've seen previously, the people who brought up women working lower wage jobs thing did it to argue against the wage gap. "Of course a nurse is going to be paid less than a doctor", they would say. I'm surprised to see that used as an argument for the existence of a wage gap.

It's related to the active vs passive discrimination you see in other fields (racism etc). Someone going "I'm going to pay you less for the same work because you're a woman" is clearly in the wrong. Someone justifying women transferring out of jobs because of their "own personal choice" is a lot less clear, though it achieves the same effect.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
No, but it's also not quite as simple as advocates often make out, either because they truly believe it's a cut-and-dry situation or for rhetorical effect. It's a lot easier and more persuasive to uninformed bystanders if you rail against evil fatcats who are paying women 70% of the rate, versus a detailed explanation of complex sociological factors with no single villain and no easy solution.

After all, the "easy solutions" have already been implemented, in the form of the Civil Rights Act (as toughened up by Lily Ledbetter). We already have laws that straight-up prohibit pay discrimination. It's the more subtle stuff that persists, much like housing discrimination is illegal and prosecutable but de facto segregation persists.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I thought the consensus was that gender bias manifests itself mainly in hiring and promotions. Much harder to prove that sort of gap though.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

boom boom boom posted:

In addition to unequal pay to women compared to men doing the same job, people doing "women's work" are paid less than those working in male-dominated jobs with equivalent skills, responsibilities, and emotional and physical demands. It's not just a matter of more men tending to be doctors, or whatever.

Our Employment Court ruled a couple of years ago that aged care workers were underpaid, a decision that has been upheld at every turn since:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/bay-of-plenty-times/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503343&objectid=11533228

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Can we also talk about the white-nonwhite wage gap

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Quorum posted:

No, but it's also not quite as simple as advocates often make out, either because they truly believe it's a cut-and-dry situation or for rhetorical effect. It's a lot easier and more persuasive to uninformed bystanders if you rail against evil fatcats who are paying women 70% of the rate, versus a detailed explanation of complex sociological factors with no single villain and no easy solution.

After all, the "easy solutions" have already been implemented, in the form of the Civil Rights Act (as toughened up by Lily Ledbetter). We already have laws that straight-up prohibit pay discrimination. It's the more subtle stuff that persists, much like housing discrimination is illegal and prosecutable but de facto segregation persists.

Pretty much this. You'd think that women would have a permanent massively lower unemployment rate and higher participation rate if they were willing to work for so much less if it were as simple as advertised.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Well, look what was just reported in the NY Times

Obama Moves to Expand Rules Aimed at Closing Gender Pay Gap

quote:

WASHINGTON — President Obama on Friday moved to require companies to report to the federal government what they pay employees by race, gender and ethnicity, part of his push to crack down on firms that pay women less for doing the same work as men.

“Women are not getting the fair shot that we believe every single American deserves,” Mr. Obama said in announcing the proposal, timed to coincide with the seventh anniversary of his signing of the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, which makes it easier for people to challenge discriminatory pay. “What kind of example does paying women less set for our sons and daughters?”

The new rules, Mr. Obama’s latest bid to use his executive power to address a priority of his that Congress has resisted acting on, would mandate that companies with 100 employees or more include salary information on a form they already submit annually that reports employees’ sex, age and job groups.

“Too often, pay discrimination goes undetected because of a lack of accurate information about what people are paid,” said Jenny Yang, the chairwoman of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, which will publish the proposed regulation jointly with the Department of Labor. “We will be using the information that we’re collecting as one piece of information that can inform our investigations.”

The requirement would expand on an executive order Mr. Obama issued nearly two years ago that called for federal contractors to submit salary information for women and men. Ms. Yang said the rules would be completed in September, with the first reports due a year later.

“Bridging the stubborn pay gap between men and women in the work force has proven to be very challenging,” said Valerie Jarrett, a senior adviser to Mr. Obama, noting that the median wage for women amounts to 79 percent of that for men. “We have seen progress, but it isn’t enough.”

White House officials said that the requirement was intended to bolster the government’s ability to penalize companies that engage in discriminatory pay practices and to encourage businesses to police themselves better and correct such disparities.

Marc Benioff, the chief executive of Salesforce.com, whom the White House enlisted to help make its case for the rules, said that while he “never intended” to pay women less than men, he had discovered that his company was doing so after two female employees approached him about it.

“We’re never going to solve this issue of pay inequality if C.E.O.s like myself and others continue to turn a blind eye to what’s happening in their own corporations,” Mr. Benioff said in a conference call organized by the White House, adding that he was spending $3 million to close the pay gap at his firm.

Mr. Obama on Friday also renewed his call for Congress to pass a measure allowing women to sue for punitive damages for pay discrimination. Republicans have repeatedly blocked such legislation, arguing that it would lead to frivolous lawsuits.

Republicans have sharply criticized Mr. Obama’s moves on pay equity, saying that gender discrimination is already illegal and that additional steps are not necessary.

Though since it's through executive action none of this will matter if a Republican is elected president this year.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
One should probably consider the unemployment gap too, on top of the wage gap. On that front, men seem to be hit harder in recessions, which from what I can tell is only partly because of male-dominated industries being more likely to shed workers. If those jobs which do disappear in greater numbers during recessions (or the current oil glut) are in like oil and gas, which I believe pay really well given the level of education/training required, wouldn't that mean a volatile job market in those industries would have an out-sized effect on male wages? Not saying this offsets the difference necessarily, but it does make a certain kind of sense that there would be higher pay in industries where your job security is low.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I thought the consensus was that gender bias manifests itself mainly in hiring and promotions. Much harder to prove that sort of gap though.

In academia, they attempted to prove it with an experiment involving equally qualified male and female applicants in STEM fields:

http://www.educationnews.org/higher-education/study-women-favored-for-stem-tenure-track-jobs/

"Contrary to prevailing assumptions, men and women faculty members [hiring decision-makers] from all four fields preferred female applicants 2:1 over identically qualified males with matching lifestyles (single, married, divorced)"

So, they ended up proving the opposite. . .

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Phyzzle posted:

In academia, they attempted to prove it with an experiment involving equally qualified male and female applicants in STEM fields:

http://www.educationnews.org/higher-education/study-women-favored-for-stem-tenure-track-jobs/

"Contrary to prevailing assumptions, men and women faculty members [hiring decision-makers] from all four fields preferred female applicants 2:1 over identically qualified males with matching lifestyles (single, married, divorced)"

I'd be careful with what that study actually shows. The researchers didn't evaluate actual hiring practices, they set up a hypothetical situation with made-up applicants. STEM fields still have a massive underrepresentation of women, and they are constantly getting poo poo for it. It's not a stretch to assume that when the institutes were asked to participate in a study on hiring preferences, they knew what this was about and accordingly overcorrected. (The value of 4:1 female over male applicants given as the extreme in the study seems like a probable case of overcorrection to me.) There's also the problem of course that the amount of female applicants to STEM tenure track positions is so comparatively small due to how the undergrad and grad studies are structured that exclusively looking at (fictional) tenure track applicants is tenuous anyway.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
Yes OP, after statistical controls are performed the gap disappears. Problem is there are lots of poorly designed studies that fail to do this which is why you still hear about it.

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Mostly in the fact that the highest paid jobs/majors like CS and engineering are almost all men. Oh and women are on average much worse at salary negotiations, if a study does show a gap it's because of that.

Claverjoe posted:

Pretty much this. You'd think that women would have a permanent massively lower unemployment rate and higher participation rate if they were willing to work for so much less if it were as simple as advertised.

Yea, this is a great point- if the whole 70 cents on the dollar was remotely true you'd see managers falling over themselves to hire women.

TROIKA CURES GREEK fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 30, 2016

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Yes OP, after statistical controls are performed the gap disappears. Problem is there are lots of poorly designed studies that fail to do this which is why you still hear about it.

I have never seen a study that concluded there was no significant wage gap after applying controls. Where are you getting this from? Generally it comes out something like 4-9%.

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

source

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Hmm, thought I saw some interesting statistics/study on what happened when a formely female-dominated or male-dominated sector switched around (rather rapidly), like if there was suddenly a majority of male nurses within ~a decade, and what that meant for pay.
Can't recall which sector (or country) it was though.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

botany posted:

I'd be careful with what that study actually shows. The researchers didn't evaluate actual hiring practices, they set up a hypothetical situation with made-up applicants. STEM fields still have a massive underrepresentation of women, and they are constantly getting poo poo for it. It's not a stretch to assume that when the institutes were asked to participate in a study on hiring preferences, they knew what this was about and accordingly overcorrected.

Oh, and then these other researchers also set up a hypothetical situation with made-up applicants. They asked about lab managers instead of tenure-track faculty, and the hireability value switched to about 5:4 in favor of the male applicants. :psyduck:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/unofficial-prognosis/study-shows-gender-bias-in-science-is-real-heres-why-it-matters/

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I did not earn equal pay for equal work at my last job. My grad school buddy, hired 2 months after me, had the same position, in a female-dominated industry, and he still earned thousands more.

The mayor of Boston thinks that holding negotiating classes for women will solve this. Meanwhile, I advocated for myself for 9 months, insisting on equal pay for equal work. I never got it. Instead I got called "pushy." So I left.

My former coworkers are still not getting wage parity, years later.

Arguing about statistical trends and the validity of experimental results is a red herring devised to excuse bad behavior on the part of large corporations. You don't need to prove what the aggregate percentage difference is (and by extension how smart and scientific you are) in order to hold employers accountable.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Defenestration posted:

I did not earn equal pay for equal work at my last job. My grad school buddy, hired 2 months after me, had the same position, in a female-dominated industry, and he still earned thousands more.

The mayor of Boston thinks that holding negotiating classes for women will solve this. Meanwhile, I advocated for myself for 9 months, insisting on equal pay for equal work. I never got it. Instead I got called "pushy." So I left.

My former coworkers are still not getting wage parity, years later.

Arguing about statistical trends and the validity of experimental results is a red herring devised to excuse bad behavior on the part of large corporations. You don't need to prove what the aggregate percentage difference is (and by extension how smart and scientific you are) in order to hold employers accountable.

If you don't mind me asking, why didn't you report your employer to the government? Or sue them?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

That's actually not true at all.

quote:

Oh and women are on average much worse at salary negotiations
Why do you think that is?

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
The wage gap is the opposite for people under 30 though. Millennial women are paid more than men and have a higher percentage of college degrees. Men, especially black men, are being left behind.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

Hmm, thought I saw some interesting statistics/study on what happened when a formely female-dominated or male-dominated sector switched around (rather rapidly), like if there was suddenly a majority of male nurses within ~a decade, and what that meant for pay.
Can't recall which sector (or country) it was though.

There is also evidence of a "glass escalator." Men in female dominated professions are promoted much faster because of these gendered expectations. That is, even when a man wants to be an elementary school teacher, he will get promoted to administration much faster than women, for example.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Akumu posted:

I have never seen a study that concluded there was no significant wage gap after applying controls. Where are you getting this from? Generally it comes out something like 4-9%.

The "significant control" is "understanding that women belong in lower-paying jobs than men."

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

If you don't mind me asking, why didn't you report your employer to the government? Or sue them?
How exactly does one go about reporting your employer to the government? Shall I submit my coworker's resume and pay stubs as evidence?

As far as why didn't you sue them, I had neither the money, the time, nor the desire to lose my job and be blackballed from the industry. If you get called pushy for talking about equal pay, imagine what will happen when you bring suit against a multibillion $ company because you felt you deserved a few extra bucks.

This is why there needs to be mandatory salary reporting (sounds like Obama's EO is working on that) a confidential tipline, and actual enforcement with fines.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I know this is very anecdotal, but in my last job (in which I spent 4 years) I was part of the director's board, the company had about 50 employees. Half the director's board was women in their 30s-40s, but the owner of the company and single investor was a massive misogynistic prick. Like, he literally told some of these female directors that they were subhuman. In a joking tone, but it was still very repulsive and one of the reasons I left.
I hired a lot of people, and had access to most financial records so I knew how much everyone made, and yes, there was a wage gap. The problem seems very complex though - women applicants, when asked to provide a pretended remuneration, always gave lower numbers than men with similar or lower experience. There was also massive underrepresentation of women in certain high-paying fields (programming, IT) and overrepresentation in other low-paying ones (sales), but this was just one of many factors and, when corrected, the gap was still there and still noticeable.

During my time there I was exposed to tables full of old rich white guys (owner's friends) and they were all male, white, old, and made fun of women. So yeah it's all terrible.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

A common meme foisted around the Internet by the academically illiterate. When pressed for sources, they invariably link to something like the Bush admin. CONSAD study, which admits that even after all feasible statistical controls are applied, roughly a third of the gap persists. That's just raw discrimination, it still leaves open the questions of the social pressures women face that lead them into lower paying career decisions and if we can do anything about them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It is important to emphasize that the women already in the STEM/high paying fields are still much more likely to switch out of those fields than men, and that's primarily due to the work culture.

So like a bunch of companies complain about the "pipeline" where they aren't getting enough female applicants, but even if that were fixed there's still major issues in the work environment that cause women to leave.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

rakovsky maybe posted:

The wage gap is the opposite for people under 30 though. Millennial women are paid more than men and have a higher percentage of college degrees. Men, especially black men, are being left behind.

That is, as far as I can tell, based on one study in the UK that was much hyped. Minority women are still far below everyone else in income even when controlling for credentials in the US. The higher percentage of college degrees doesn't do much to address the wage gap, since the main reasons for that are still related to how relatively closed skilled trade occupations still are for women (think plumbers, electricians, etc) and how low paying female dominated majors are (social work, nursing, etc).

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Lotta people making claims with zero evidence in this thread.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Short answer: it's complicated.

http://freakonomics.com/2016/01/07/the-true-story-of-the-gender-pay-gap-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

It's not illegal to pay women less than men unless you can prove that the pay gap is specifically because of gender, rather than because they're "not assertive enough" or "don't seem as committed to their job" or something.

Phyzzle posted:

Except for the bit at the bottom where they note that another study done a year or two before with somewhat different methodology had totally opposite results! Also, that study you link only describes likelihood of being hired, not wages upon hire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Main Paineframe posted:

Except for the bit at the bottom where they note that another study done a year or two before with somewhat different methodology had totally opposite results! Also, that study you link only describes likelihood of being hired, not wages upon hire.

Oh, and these are tenure track positions at a university, not an average company.

• Locked thread