Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Hope all is well. Best wishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Walks in Buffalo Tread

Listen, and I will tell you the story of my people. I will tell you why I came here, to this place called Minnesota. My people are the Runners in Grass, and we live on the plains of Ioway. Some fools who are not of the people call us "tribals". They say we are uncivilized, but that is a lie. We are civilized. We make weapons of iron to defend ourselves from our enemies and wild animals. We grow our food. We have our laws, and we honor the gods and the ancestors. The stories say that, before the gods punished the ancestors, our people come from the place of the swift trees. But our ancestors left that place, fleeing the wrath of the gods.

Yes, yes, I will tell you why I have come to Minnesota. But I wished first to explain to you that we are not primitive, for I see how you looked at me. I know you think I am just a stupid tribal. But alright, I will tell you. I was the assistant to the Shaman of my people. He was training me to be Shaman when he died. This is important, for only the Shaman knows the rites that will appease the gods and ancestors, and only the Shaman can read their will. So the tribe must always have a Shaman. On one day, the Shaman took me out in the wilderness, to fast and punish our flesh and so that he might further teach me the mysteries. It was on that day that the Runners in Grass were attacked by raiders. They came, I think, from the place of Wisconsin, and they came to take what they like. They came to take the people. There is a custom, I do not know if you have it, but we call it slavery. A slave is not free. He must do as he is told or will be beaten. The Runners in Grass had some slaves, but our slaves were men and women who had committed crimes against the people. This was justice. But these raiders cared not for justice. They took all the Runners in Grass, both the good and the wicked, just to be slaves. If one believes the rumors about them, my people were taken for even a worse fate, but such a thing violates the laws of the gods and of all people, and I choose not to believe it. Only the Shaman and I escaped, because we were in the wilderness. When we got back, we saw the disaster that had happened, and the old Shaman died, right there, from grief. So I am Shaman now, and it is my place to rescue my people.

So this is why I have come to Minnesota. The stories say that, in the time of the ancestors, in Minnesota,, there lived mighty warriors, all of whom lived in a great Palace of Ice. They were such great warriors, they would fight all the people around them, just to prove they were better. There was no one better at war than they were. After they had defeated all their enemies, they built a great city where they all lived. The city was a place of magic. Everything a person could want could be found there. One would go to a wall, that had a picture of the things he wanted. Then he would enter a room, and the doors would magically close, and then when they opened, the person was in a room that had what they desired. People didn't even need to walk if they wanted to. They could just stand there, and the floor would move for them. The place had all the food one could eat, warm clothing, and anything one would wish. These warriors built the great magic city and lived there. Perhaps, even after everything that happened, they are there still, and I can convince them to save my people. Or, if they are gone, maybe the magic city still survives, and there, I will find the tools to save my people. I have no choice. I must try. I must go there. I must plead with the warriors to save my people. They are my only hope. They are the only hope of the Runners in Grass. I will succeed.

http://pastebin.com/Nb2YktZT

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 15, 2016

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Well, I've talked with some people on IRC, and I figured that I might as well close the submissions one or two hours early. However, there is one stipulation; since there are still some people working on characters, It's only fair to allow Viscardus, FireSight and MinutePirateBug to keep working and submit when they're ready. Depending on the end size of tge group, though, I may have to exclude one of you, though that is mostly because of my preference for dmaller grouos yhan anything else. I'll post a much more extravagant thing some time tomorrow about characters, my "picks", and the game.

There is a more heavy thing to mention, though: I will be traveling to be with my extended family this week, probably around Friday, and I will be gone for about a week. I will likely be without a laptop, though with my phone, but depending on the circumstances and exactly how long I will be gone, I may be able to run the first session if everyone is able to agree on a good time in a week or two, though, of course, family comes first.

I appreciate all of you understanding and your expressions of sympathy, and I'm really proud of the applications this game got. I'm looking forward to playing with you all.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Your Trip to Minnesota! - Tape 3: The Minnesotan Flavor
Produced by the North Star Corporation

It's excellent that you're considering a visit to the North Star State. But who will be waiting for you when you step off that plane or drive off the highway? You've probably heard the stereotypes - niceness, pleasantness, interesting dialects, and even more interesting food. Now, these may all be good labels, but, of course, these can only go so far. Who will you actually meet?

There's always the native - a man or woman who's spent their whole life in the state, eager to show you around to their favorite locals, offer traveling advice, or even just be a source of companionship. What a nice gentlemen!

On the other side of the coin, there's your fellow traveler, a person who's experiencing the grand vistas of the state for the first time, just like you, from Eagle Mountain to the Iron Ranges, from Minneapolis to Brainerd. Another great source of companionship, and one to talk to those great sights t-

[TAPE SEGMENT MISSING...CONTINUING...]

-ever curious about the fish you just caught, the berries you just picked, or, even, what exactly is in a nice, cool glass of Volstead Elixir (Minnesota's favorite soft drink since 1919!), you'll only have to turn to a resident expert and ask your question. He'll always have the right answer, and even more fun facts, too!

Like all great states, Minnesota has a fair share of eccentrics. However, in our opinion, the more, the merrier! If you're ever looking for an insider's opinion on that trendy new bistro in the guidebook, the quickest way from Rochester to Ortonville, or just want a fun night out with a new friend, look no furthe-

[TAPE CORRUPTED...FINDING NEXT SEGMENT...SEGMENT FOUND...CONTINUING...]

We're looking forward to seeing you in our great state. For flights, information, tapes, or brochures, check your nearest travel agent. Why not try a flight on the fabulous Skylanes airline, a wholly owned subsidiary of North Star? Featuring flights as low as $190,000!

Be sure to see the next segment of this informative holotape series, Flora an-

[TAPE ENDS]

-

Okay, sorry, I just really wanted to do that. Now, onto business!
As you're probably aware, I might not be able to make the first session of this game this week, and maybe next week. However, one thing I do need from all four of you is a time you'll be able to play. I'm mostly free Saturday afternoons to late evenings, and Sunday up until evenings, preferably during the afternoon. Please post a day you'll most likely be able to play, and if you'd prefer any other gaming platform, like Roll20, Skype, or Discord. Once I get days from all of you, I'll post a link to a Doodle where we can work out times.

Kumaton fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 16, 2016

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I'm free Saturday or Sunday afternoons, in general, from around noon eastern to around 6 eastern, and then again after 8 eastern on Saturdays, and most weeknights after 7 eastern except Tuesdays. IRC is good for me, or Roll20.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I work Monday through Thursday from noon to 10:00 PM EST most days, plus noon to 5:00 or 6:00 PM on Fridays. I have Saturdays and Sundays off, but I'm most active at night. I'm fine with IRC plus an outside dice roller we can link to.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Generally speaking I'm free Saturday evenings and most Sundays. I'm not free next weekend due to Magfest.

EDIT: Looks like I'm also free most Monday and Thursday evenings, 6+ EST going forward.

LaSquida fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 18, 2016

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

chitoryu12 posted:

I work Monday through Thursday from noon to 10:00 PM EST most days, plus noon to 5:00 or 6:00 PM on Fridays. I have Saturdays and Sundays off, but I'm most active at night. I'm fine with IRC plus an outside dice roller we can link to.

We have a dice rolling bot on the channel already, so we won't have to worry about that much

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
I am free tuesday, wednesday, friday and sunday. Evenings in the former two, all day in the latter two. In a few weeks a campaign I'm in will wrap up so if Mondays work out better as time goes on, that'll free itself up.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Doodle's up! This one is more for getting a good date out of everyone - I did weekends for now, since that's pretty much the only days I'll be able to run the game. Once everyone picks a constant date, I'll make another one for time.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Hey guys, I'm sorry I haven't been as active on IRC as I promised. These past few days have been very busy for me, though my grandfather's condition is definitely improving. As for the results of the Doodle, it looks like we'll have our sessions on Sunday. I'm aiming for the first week in March, so I'll put up another Doodle sometime tomorrow evening related to that date. Thanks for sticking with this game through all the rough patches.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Second Doodle is up! This one relates to the time of the sessions, using March 6th as a base. It might seem a bit conservative, but, well, I am usually busy on Mondays starting early in the morning, so I need to sleep.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
What time zone is this?

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Epicurius posted:

What time zone is this?

Central. Sorry for not specifying.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kumaton posted:

Central. Sorry for not specifying.

All right, I'll have to edit my times since I voted based on EST!

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Well, thanks, everybody, for narrowing down the time to "sometime after 11 am". Going off the times that would work absolutely best for me, though, I decided to have the sessions at 1 pm, every Sunday. Remember, the first session will be March 6th. I'll update the OP and the IRC with the information.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

1:00 PM is 2:00 PM EST, correct?

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

chitoryu12 posted:

1:00 PM is 2:00 PM EST, correct?

Yes. Again, sorry for not specifying time zones. Hopefully this doesn't reflect on my skills as a GM.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Hey, everyone who's participating in the game this Sunday, I'd like for you to e-mail me at kumatonsa@yahoo.com sometime this evening or tomorrow. At someone in the IRC'S request, I have a quick handout to distribute that would work better if it's done privately.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Remember we got a game today in a little bit! Today at 1 PM Central, 2 PM Eastern.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
First Session is over and done with! Here's a log of the game, and I also made a quick Journal that will contain all information on quests and misc. things that the party comes across. You're free to edit and and update it with any new information or your own character's thoughts. I'll be using the second post in the thread to keep track of logs and the journal.

There's going to be a theme to the quests. Can you figure it out?

Kumaton fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 7, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I vote that this weapon be something used by a team of Super Mutant football players:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vStv0EJXJmc

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

chitoryu12 posted:

I vote that this weapon be something used by a team of Super Mutant football players:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vStv0EJXJmc

Uh, you're not far off with a faction I have planned for the game, so sure, why not?

Also I'll probably be sparsley on the IRC for the next week or two or three because I have to work on a few things. I will be able to put that aside for the weekends, though, and I'll defiantly be able to play on Sundays.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Second session done with! LeSquide, since you weren't here, we tried to find a way to entertain ourselves without doing anything major.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Third session done! Just so I don't keep clogging up the thread with session reports, after this one I'm mostly just going to stick to updating the second post in the thread. If you're following along with the sessions, keep an eye on the second post of the thread every Sunday evening, usually around 6 or 7 pm Central.

Additionally:

quote:

[17:30] <Bison> "Greetings, dearest American. This is your president, John Henry Eden. I wanted to thank you for your help. The USAPR system is vital to the national interest, and your participation in that system is helping us make an America where, once again, our children can play. So remember, you have the thanks of both a grateful America as well as the personal thanks of your president, John Henry Eden."
(thanks, Epicurius)

As a note, if you're updating your character with new points, be sure to post whatever you're doing in the thread.

Kumaton fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 21, 2016

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Been enjoying your cast of characters so far. Since I have difficulty in reading unformatted raw irc chat logs, I have been putting the sessions in a word document for some nice auto formatting, and because I never know when to quit I put in a table of contents and player bios. https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1F41865667E9CCFD!2188&authkey=!AK4wxoLsJ9JbqW0&ithint=file%2cdocx in case anyone else would prefer to read it this way. Will be updated as long as they keep putting out sessions!

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Twibbit posted:

Been enjoying your cast of characters so far. Since I have difficulty in reading unformatted raw irc chat logs, I have been putting the sessions in a word document for some nice auto formatting, and because I never know when to quit I put in a table of contents and player bios. https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1F41865667E9CCFD!2188&authkey=!AK4wxoLsJ9JbqW0&ithint=file%2cdocx in case anyone else would prefer to read it this way. Will be updated as long as they keep putting out sessions!

This completely made my night after battling sickness and no energy. I'll edit this into the second post ASAP. Thanks!

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Quote ain't edit. Whoops.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Letting everyone know that I won't be present for the game this coming Sunday or April 10th.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

chitoryu12 posted:

Letting everyone know that I won't be present for the game this coming Sunday or April 10th.

Was gonna post that I won't be available this Sunday either.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I'm also out April 10th, it appears.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
To make everyone feel better after learning that we won't have sessions for two weeks, I'm proud to announce the next companion.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Just a quick reminder that we won't be playing tomorrow. Sorry for the three-week delay.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Have a quick image dump to make up for the extended absence:

Jimmy Bunker shortly after leaving Scott Air Force Base. He lost the .50 BMG when he fell into a river.

Two possible companions, I think. I just like how they look.

Be on the lookout for this thing.

And a bunch of snowy post-apocalyptic scenery.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Fourth session's up. Since we were missing two people, not a lot to note other than plans and eating.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
and updated, also added formatting to all spoken dialogue in session 4, went back and did session 1 as well though that nearly killed me, I forgot how long that one was!

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Twibbit posted:

and updated, also added formatting to all spoken dialogue in session 4, went back and did session 1 as well though that nearly killed me, I forgot how long that one was!

You are a godsend. :swoon:

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Well, a little bit of bad news. My external hard drive just sort of poo poo the bed out of the blue, and it took all of my GURPS books and campaign notes along with it. I remember a lot of stuff about the setting and what I plan to do with the game, so I won't have any problem running the game from that standpoint. However, since I won't have any books for the foreseeable future, (my internet is very terrible sometimes and it might take me a while to re-download them all), I'll probably have to coast off of your guy's knowledge of the game until I can redownload what I bought. If you guys don't feel comfortable with me running without any knowledge, then I completely understand. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I have more GURPS books than a man should reasonably have in PDF form on my Dropbox!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

chitoryu12 posted:

I have more GURPS books than a man should reasonably have in PDF form on my Dropbox!

I already have a good link to almost all of the 4th edition .pd - I mean I bought them all on DrivethruRPG or something and I just have to redownload the again hahahaha piracy what piracy????
In any case, my Internet cap resets on Sunday do once I get back to good Internet I can just go ahead and download them there. I appreciate the help, though!

• Locked thread