Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Do people actually take those Myers Briggs tests seriously? I've talked to some friends who seem to believe the results carry some weight and also heard some employers using them while screening potential hires. I can't help but think of them as astrology for nerds.

Do you have any experience with the tests or people who swear by them? Seems like they have a cultist following. Just trying to get some insight, here.

tia

It can certainly be used as a guidepost for figuring out where you may best fit in society. But an exacting blueprint of your personal identity it is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

mine said "im gay"

E: :shittypop:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
These textfilters are loving gold

im gay cuck goku

ehhhhhhnnnnnn
Jun 3, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

BuckarooBanzai posted:

First big fight I had with my now wife was over one of these. She said she was something which I've since forgotten and wanted me to take the test. I said they were silly and written like horoscopes in that they paint broad strokes that it's easy to see yourself in. Anyway she was PISSED. We survived but you know heads up to all you young kids thinking about marriage you gotta watch out for those minefields.

Your wife sounds retarded
Took the test I'm pawg

Immortal Wombat
Jan 19, 2005

Everliving Marsupial
The only self report questionnaire based personality model that actually has any decent science behind it is the Five Factor model.

Whenever you ask people to describe themselves on questionnaires you are always measuring the big 5. It doesn't matter if you call it Myers Briggs or Keirsey Temperament or DISC, all you're doing is misinterpreting the actual results to fit the model.

The big 5 comes out every time whether you want it to or not, it's not someone's theory of how things are it's a result of factor analysis. No-one came up with the idea it just revealed itself through mathematics.

You basically can't measure anything else with self report personality questionnaires.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I posted this exact thread two years ago boy-o

Beatboxing Bard
Sep 6, 2010
The MBTI is the worst bit of horseshit to ever brand itself as "psychology." It was actually developed by a mother with no background in the field to basically assess whether or not her daughter was marrying a serial killer. If I remember correctly, the mother had a background in political science and her daughter had a BA in psych. There's absolutely no validity to it; there's absolutely no reliability to it. If the personality profile doesn't seem to fit the examinee, the manual gives directions for the the examiner to work with the examinee by going through all the possible profiles until they find one that seems to fit. That's how valid the results are: If you don't like your personality profile, choose one you do.

The test is the worst, and I go into a sputtering rage anytime anyone ever asks me about it in real life. Unfortunately, companies do actually use these to assess potential hires, and it blows my mind. You want a personality measure that works, then take an MMPI, but leave Jung in the cold, cold grave where he belongs. Especially if you're just going to half-rear end applying his theory.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Beatboxing Bard posted:

The MBTI is the worst bit of horseshit to ever brand itself as "psychology."

i don't know man, that's a high bar

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Beatboxing Bard posted:

The MBTI is the worst bit of horseshit to ever brand itself as "psychology." It was actually developed by a mother with no background in the field to basically assess whether or not her daughter was marrying a serial killer. If I remember correctly, the mother had a background in political science and her daughter had a BA in psych. There's absolutely no validity to it; there's absolutely no reliability to it. If the personality profile doesn't seem to fit the examinee, the manual gives directions for the the examiner to work with the examinee by going through all the possible profiles until they find one that seems to fit. That's how valid the results are: If you don't like your personality profile, choose one you do.

The test is the worst, and I go into a sputtering rage anytime anyone ever asks me about it in real life. Unfortunately, companies do actually use these to assess potential hires, and it blows my mind. You want a personality measure that works, then take an MMPI, but leave Jung in the cold, cold grave where he belongs. Especially if you're just going to half-rear end applying his theory.

Did you know there's help for you? Go to https://www.autismspeaks.org to learn about other tards just like you.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

Beatboxing Bard posted:

It's actually really accurate and most of the work was done by Carl Jung- a certified genus; your post just reeks of INTJ. You're unhappy with the result you got (INTJ) so now you're pretending that you're smarter then a bunch of highly educated people and that it's you who is the true master of the mind.

Get over yourself. Buddy.
(srs these threads are great because the INTJ's just start pouring out of the woodwork and embarrassing themselves)

Beatboxing Bard
Sep 6, 2010

Prav posted:

i don't know man, that's a high bar

Yeah, that's fair enough. Like I said, this test sends me into sputtering rage.

BigBoss posted:

Did you know there's help for you?

I'd argue with this, but the burst blood-vessel in my eye says otherwise.

Digital Fingers posted:

It's actually really accurate and most of the work was done by Carl Jung- a certified genus; your post just reeks of INTJ. You're unhappy with the result you got (INTJ) so now you're pretending that you're smarter then a bunch of highly educated people and that it's you who is the true master of the mind.

Get over yourself. Buddy.
(srs these threads are great because the INTJ's just start pouring out of the woodwork and embarrassing themselves)

Yeah, I guess I should get out of mom's basement. I don't know if I'm ready for sunlight, yet. Babysteps.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Beatboxing Bard posted:

I'd argue with this, but the burst blood-vessel in my eye says otherwise.

Were you throwing up a lot?

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

theres a reason you can find all of jung's best works in a dumpster behind a salvation army

i got an INTGAY

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

I'm glad Beatboxing Bard just admitted to being a giant tardbaby, saves me a lot of typing

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

a starwar betamax posted:

Me and Doug Funny are both INFPs

I'm going to start being an extroverted bully dickhead just so I'm not lumped in with Doug anymore. Actually no I won't because I'm a touchy-feely wimp. :smith:

also lol at all the people saying MB results is a dumb thing to care about and then offering up a "more accurate test"

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Blue Train posted:

why doesn't anger take precedence over agreeableness

a beta bitch test

They should have a cuck test so all the guys who post on this board can pass it.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

a bay posted:

They should have a cuck test so all the guys who post on this board can pass it.

how did you get forums cancer?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Gilganixon posted:

how did you get forums cancer?

The mods are butt mad at me because I said cuck to deadmau5 and he went back to twitter

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Blue Wher posted:

http://hexaco.org/

It's basically MBTI only more complete

lol im a terrible person

edit: quick someone diagnose me. whatta i got, doc?

a misanthrope fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 30, 2016

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

diagnosis: goon

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

A misanthrope posted:

edit: quick someone diagnose me. whatta i got, doc?

looks like INTJ to me.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

A misanthrope posted:

diagnosis: goon

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
INTP, I did it a while back, architect or something, oddly enough, the person who introduced me to the idea is, indeed, INTJ.

Its quite similar to tests for the 'tism as well, so it might trigger some people no matter what their result.
As far as taking it seriously is concerned, not especially, there are other letters before or after someones name that are usually a great deal more important than the MB.

staberind fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 30, 2016

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

My highschool class all had to take it during our junior year. I didn't question its validity until I started seeing so much obsession over it on the internet. Sadly, my results, INTP, seemed to have the most obnoxious people in them. 'Basically a bunch of pseudo intellectuals who never contribute to society, but were told they were smart during childhood so they think they're special.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

^ Most INTP's are actually INTJ who answered dishonestly to make themselves feel better.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Digital Fingers posted:

looks like INTJ to me.

is that a science way to say "career criminal"? because that's all i got out of my test results

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

A misanthrope posted:

is that a science way to say "career criminal"? because that's all i got out of my test results

You have to much Anxiety to be any good at crimes. Sorry man.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Digital Fingers posted:

^ Most INTP's are actually INTJ who answered dishonestly to make themselves feel better.

I'm pretty sure I didn't lie, but I do remember thinking that the answers could vary slightly depending on mood. I had never heard of the test before taking it, so I didn't go into it looking for any particular result. What does the P stand for again?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Digital Fingers posted:

Source? I dont see the point in bullshitting a test like this to get a fake result.

Oh, unless it means a better pay grande or something, I suppose.

Edit : Lol, we both reply back immediately claiming we did not "cheat"

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

My ex practically treated her test results as some sort of personal bible that she would reference to explain her messed up behavior. Pretty much the main reason I don't miss her a bit.

Edit: Great honeypot thread for goons to start arguing about their made up personality bullshit OP, good job.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

let's be friends misanthrope

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

im a ravenclaw

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Digital Fingers posted:

You have to much Anxiety to be any good at crimes. Sorry man.

its true i have recurring nightmares about batman chasing me

Blue Train posted:

let's be friends misanthrope

:hfive: ok work on that greed-avoidance thing and help me do crimes. you can do the scary parts

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

shadowvine118 posted:

I'm pretty sure I didn't lie, but I do remember thinking that the answers could vary slightly depending on mood. I had never heard of the test before taking it, so I didn't go into it looking for any particular result.

Pretty sure you did lie because we all tend have a wildly inaccurate views of ourselves. This is honestly such a INTJ thing to say i'm thinking you should take this test again and see what you get.

quote:

What does the P stand for again?

It means you're a lazy slob who hates to plan ahead for things.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm an indigo child, don't try to read my aura, its a secret.

let me tell you about the wonders of collecting train numbers in my little book..

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Digital Fingers posted:

You're unhappy with the result you got (INTJ)
Why would anyone be unhappy with INTJ. You should be unhappy if you got anything other than INTP/INTJ.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

Khorne posted:

Why would anyone be unhappy with INTJ. You should be unhappy if you got anything other than INTP/INTJ.

Excuse me?
What makes INTJ so great in your opinion?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Morover, IIRC, those two tend to be what high functioning autists end up with,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Digital Fingers posted:

Pretty sure you did lie because we all tend have a wildly inaccurate views of ourselves. This is honestly such a INTJ thing to say i'm thinking you should take this test again and see what you get.

It means you're a lazy slob who hates to plan ahead for things.

If I have an inaccurate view of myself then I wasn't lying, I was just wrong. I do know for a fact that I'm super lazy and hate planning ahead, so the P works for me.

• Locked thread