Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

2MB posted:

I've started trying to diversify my bull pen of gods "I know how to play" and guardians are the only class I can't seem to do that well with. I've been playing Athena but I'm really at a loss for what my game plan is supposed to be. I don't really play Conquest because the matches take too long for my liking and all the guides I see usually pertain to Conquest. I mostly play Arena and Clash modes and I read that Ares is OP for those modes but I find him super boring to play.

I love guardians but I have trouble with Athena. Maybe try a more aggressive guardian like Xing Tian? He has a good escape and a ranged poke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Athena is only good in arena if your team gangs up on your taunt target. Her damage is not bad and she can certainly snowball, but you are more dependant on your team to follow up than other guardians.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Only play Athena when you're in a full team of friends or in a ranked conquest (if she's even still a first ban sort of god).

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I have similar trouble with assassins. I feel useless in team fights; I'm as squishy as a hunter and I need to get into melee range??

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Farecoal posted:

I have similar trouble with assassins. I feel useless in team fights; I'm as squishy as a hunter and I need to get into melee range??

The key with assassins is approaching relatively unseen and taking out their squishies as fast as possible.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Farecoal posted:

Most assassins have a way to get in and a way to get out. In team fights you should focus on blowing up squishier target(s) and then getting the hell out of there. If you can't engage safely, wait. If you get focused, get out; better you waste all your cooldowns/relics than die. If the other team is distracted, kill them all and drink their tears.

If you'd rather get in there and take punches to the chin, you'll have a better experience playing warriors.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Yeah the problem I see with a lot of novice assassin players is that they overestimate their abilities as assassins early game and die a lot, which puts them behind, which makes it impossible for them to kill anything the whole game. They need farm and they need items, so the #1 priority is surviving to get it. #2 is finishing off fleeing, isolated squishies. #3 is being powerful enough to just shred anyone who comes near you and being an unholy terror that their back line breaks and runs from.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The best examples of this is probably an assassin like Mercury or Serqet. Both have insane manoeuvrability. With Mercury in particular you want to run in from the side or behind (normal running), self buff, hit the crap out of a squishy, then reassess.

1. Can you get to another squishy? If no, get out.

2. If you can get to another squishy, can you do the damage before you die? If no, get out.

3. If you can do the damage, is there a risk of dying yourself? Will this hurt your team more than help it? If yes to both of those, get the gently caress out.

Once you are out, reposition to catch people running away. You can secure a couple of cheeky kills once the team fight goes your way (which it should, if you've hit the squishy gods). If its not going your teams way because your team is poo poo, save who you can, but play defensively.

Most assassins have a stun in addition to their escape, so use it to help out a buddy and then just run. And by run I mean actually run, not the "fighting retreat" bullshit that pubbies do.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 18, 2016

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Yams Fan
I do love my assasins, usually playing arachne, fenrir and sometimes serqet. Here's my guide for How to Arachne:

1) Come in from the jungle behind your target while someone else in the lane is keeping them busy by the tower.
2) Drop a web directly on them
3) Flip on your 1 and 2 and go to town with auto attacks.
4) Bask in the glory of a fallen foe. In the event they manage to escape before murdering them, you can chase them down with your ult, or use it as an escape if things go bad.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Shab posted:

If you'd rather get in there and take punches to the chin, you'll have a better experience playing warriors.

This is probably why I like Ravana so much. He's like an assassin but doesn't die if you look at him funny. That said, I'll keep all that stuff in mind next time I play assassin.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Double rewards this weekend, 50% off voicepacks:

quote:

February 19th – 21st:

Double Favor/XP/Worshipers
50% off all Voice Packs
PC and Xbox

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!
Can someone shoot a clan invite to Stevesy? I'll even accept it within the 72 hour window.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

2MB posted:

I've started trying to diversify my bull pen of gods "I know how to play" and guardians are the only class I can't seem to do that well with. I've been playing Athena but I'm really at a loss for what my game plan is supposed to be. I don't really play Conquest because the matches take too long for my liking and all the guides I see usually pertain to Conquest. I mostly play Arena and Clash modes and I read that Ares is OP for those modes but I find him super boring to play.

Athena's 3 does a surprising amount of damage, especially if you can get the second hit off. Her combo is to 3 then 2 someone into it for the second hit. But that's all she's got and it's pretty easy to avoid if you know it's coming.

In terms of setting up for team fights, pay attention to where your teammates are when you engage. If you dash in to taunt someone, that means your teammates aren't with you unless they burned some kind of leap/dash to get to you. 9 times out of 10 this is why your teammates don't follow up with the Athena taunt (the remainder 1 out of 10 is because her taunt is up so often, your team just wasn't ready or expecting it).

If you want a bruiser guardian that's good for setting up team fights (but don't like Ares), go with Sobek or Bacchus. Sobek is more of an in-your-face-imma-wreck-your-poo poo play style, Bacchus is just all over the place and super fun.

edit-

drink_bleach posted:

Can someone shoot a clan invite to Stevesy? I'll even accept it within the 72 hour window.

Invite sent!

cyclonic fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 19, 2016

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
As someone whose Athena mastery is nearly 5 times higher than their other masteries, I've learned mainly to play her as a counter-initiator. When an enemy leaps/charges in, hit them with your 3 to force them to break off or eat a bunch of damage. Then tag them with your 2 to keep them away from your squishies while your teammates take them down. Use your 1 to confirm kills or escape (not the best escape, mind you, but it's all she's got short of relics).

The biggest improvement to my Athena game was when I stopped trying to use her as an initiator (often with a 1-3-2 combo, the end result usually being me getting killed with no support), and started using her more to counter my enemies' plays. Mid-to-late game Athena can completely ruin Assassins (and psuedo-Assassins like Ao Kuang) and Hunters with strong chasing ability, assuming she's made herself durable enough to not be a target herself. I've also been using her to counter gods who otherwise have great leaping escapes (Neith being the primary example) by positioning her to Taunt them as soon as they land. Overall, she's just really good at punishing aggressive players who rely on hit and run tactics.

And then there's her 4, which is probably my biggest attraction to her. It gives her one of the fastest rotations in the game and lets her gank into any teamfight or boxing match on the board, which is not only a huge tactical advantage, but it's also an ultimate that can't simply be countered with a relic or ability. My general advice is that, if you're not playing Conquest or Siege where you want to save it for key moments, use your 4 as often as possible. As soon as it refreshes, and I'm not already in a fight or I'm already at (reasonably) full Health/Mana, I back to the fountain to refresh/buy, then ult into a fight or a teammate whose pushing a lane.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."
Thanks for all of that! I'll try switching up my strategy with her and see if it helps at all. I've also been having some success with Khepri though he feels like a different class altogether. I really like his kit since every button feels like I'm helping my team out quite a bit. Are there any other gods that fill a similar role?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Rooting and pulling an enemy as Sylvanus and enabling a kill by your teammates feels pretty good imo. Also the healing. And the mp5 increase on teammates from your 1.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

2MB posted:

Thanks for all of that! I'll try switching up my strategy with her and see if it helps at all. I've also been having some success with Khepri though he feels like a different class altogether. I really like his kit since every button feels like I'm helping my team out quite a bit. Are there any other gods that fill a similar role?

Geb. The definitive "true support" until Khepri came along.

Two knockups, a cleanse/shield, and mobility for rotations. The trade-off is his god awful scaling and damage outside of the percentage damage off the ult.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Smite PS4 alpha starts today and beta signups are open as well: http://www.smitegame.com/ps4-beta/

In case you want to play this game with a controller for some stupid reason

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

There are actual reasons to play it on console. The game is slower paced by nature of not being able to turn as fast and skillshots are harder to hit, so the meta is quite different. And I actually like the way Smite feels with a controller.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Safari Disco Lion posted:

There are actual reasons to play it on console. The game is slower paced by nature of not being able to turn as fast and skillshots are harder to hit, so the meta is quite different. And I actually like the way Smite feels with a controller.

I'm not a PC supremacist by any stretch but that sounds infuriating

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Random thing but I played Paladins and it's interesting. It's been nothing but the seige mode though and I'm kinda tired of it since most people just fart gently caress around and poo poo.

But today was a good day for Pip

The game really needs to find itself an identity though. As of right now I'm not sure what it's trying to be.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

TheChaosPath posted:

I'm not a PC supremacist by any stretch but that sounds infuriating

It also runs at 30 FPS, which, for a game like Smite, actually matters a lot.

Mr. Neutron fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 19, 2016

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

With that change to Doom Orb, is there a reason not to get it on every mage you play? Even if you lose those stacks, it's still a formidable items and you can get a bunch of them back by killing a wave of minions.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.

Zain posted:

Random thing but I played Paladins and it's interesting. It's been nothing but the seige mode though and I'm kinda tired of it since most people just fart gently caress around and poo poo.

But today was a good day for Pip

The game really needs to find itself an identity though. As of right now I'm not sure what it's trying to be.

I am rather curious about this game, as well as Overwatch since they seem so similar. There's also "Gigantic" currently in beta but for Windows 10 only.

Trying to get beta access on any of those is a pain though. Just a waiting game really.

I love Smite, always wanted to try MOBAs but couldn't get used to the top down aspect of real-time multiplayer games. Seems like MOBA-lite games are becoming a thing.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
How the gently caress am I supposed to deal with Bacchus in Arena/Joust? He infuriates me far more than any other god. He gets two disrupts, an obscene amount of free protections and power, huge health and mobility.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Knee posted:

I am rather curious about this game, as well as Overwatch since they seem so similar. There's also "Gigantic" currently in beta but for Windows 10 only.

Trying to get beta access on any of those is a pain though. Just a waiting game really.

I love Smite, always wanted to try MOBAs but couldn't get used to the top down aspect of real-time multiplayer games. Seems like MOBA-lite games are becoming a thing.

Overwatch isn't a MOBA-lite and Paladins wishes it was half as good.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Doublepost out of nowhere.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yyyyyeah i don't think paladins is anywhere as close to overwatch or gigantic and to save themselves money they should just kill it now instead of trying to launch a super mediocre clone of those with infinitely shittier character designs.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I don't think they need to kill it. They just need to critically analyze it and consider how to improve the game.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

So, kill it.

Brannock posted:

How the gently caress am I supposed to deal with Bacchus in Arena/Joust? He infuriates me far more than any other god. He gets two disrupts, an obscene amount of free protections and power, huge health and mobility.

Anything that stuns/mezzes/etc will cut off his burp and neuter that skill entirely. A good Bacchus will wait to see you blow it before attacking, but you can't win 'em all.

On an unrelated note, I came within a hair of a penta in Assault on Sylvanus of all people. Got the quad but Ao Kuang executed the fifth guy. Still lost the game because my team had no idea how to regroup and by mid-late game just started funneling themselves 1-2 at a time into the 5-man enemy team to get slaughtered.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Nighthand posted:

So, kill it.

Eh I guess? It's not like the game isn't fun or anything.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
If you go into the enemy fountain with a relic slot open and leave it, it gives you the same warning about leaving the fountain without a relic. Just discovered this on a fountain dive with Kali in Arena.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Brannock posted:

If you go into the enemy fountain with a relic slot open and leave it, it gives you the same warning about leaving the fountain without a relic. Just discovered this on a fountain dive with Kali in Arena.

You can actually buy stuff in the enemy's fountain.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
What kind of queue times should I expect from Assult/Siege/Clash? I've given up each time as it gets close to 10mins of my life wasted; but I've only just started playing and I'd like to try one of the lower pressure modes before disappointing a conquest server

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I've never had a queue in any mode take longer than 3-4 minutes.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.
I've never had a long queue either. Maybe depends on your Preferred Region which you can change every game before you queue. There will be some lag differences obviously.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Got an extra PS4 Smite key if anyone wants it. M7PE-95N9-3R28

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
The good news is: I just had my first game where I did better than anyone else on my team!!

The bad news is

:smithicide:

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

Syrinxx posted:

Got an extra PS4 Smite key if anyone wants it. M7PE-95N9-3R28

Claimed, thanks. Gonna use this to try and get a few console buddies on board the smite train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
Queue timer only goes up to 2:30 on xbone except in ranked. Playing against ps4 players makes feel good about myself.

• Locked thread