Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a computer programmer?
I only know how to click on the AOL icon
I can edit HTML or config files and have written trivial programs
I have studied programming and can make useful but limited programs
I am a professional programmer who can write involved, complicated programs
View Results

• Locked thread
Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork
Being a professional programmer is 60% learning how to code "right way," and 40% dealing with assholes, whether they be brainy children or a "visionary" from the business side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ganondork posted:

Being a professional programmer is 60% learning how to code "right way," and 40% dealing with assholes, whether they be brainy children or a "visionary" from the business side.

I really want to literally fight every MBA at my company.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
God no, but I can hack together a MATLAB script.

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006
Wow who knew half of the people on this site were professional programmers.

We should get together and write Lowtax a better forum and then give it to him on his birthday.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I'm doing am asters in programming. Its hard but fun.

People have referred to programmers as modern day wizards / magicians. I'm fine with that. I always wanted to be a wizard

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Ganondork posted:

after you learn the right way its 100% dealing with the customer / other people's code that is sloppy and hacked together.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Dave_Indeed posted:

I really want to literally fight every MBA at my company.

i want to fight ever mba at your company too. what company do you work for?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
c dos run lol

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i program stupid bullshit for a living so yes op

Aryu Kiddimeh
Nov 9, 2012
Hi why yest, thanks for asking. Well no one pays me to do it, but I sure podgram

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I made stuxnet

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?
I read an online guide to basic C programming once, it was easy to follow and gave me insight into bits and bytes and things.

Years later I tried to find it, and learned that in the intervening time period, the author had raped his own son and then killed himself in jail.

I then said 'welp' outloud and never thought about programming again.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
but in all seriousness, i'm not a programmer. i'm more of an ideas guy

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

Microwaves Mom posted:

People have referred to programmers as modern day wizards / magicians. I'm fine with that. I always wanted to be a wizard

Data travelers, Electro wizards, techno anarchists.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Guys HOW do link list? thank you and god bless!

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I don't have a hate-boner for other people's professions so I find it odd when people have one for mine.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

argondamn posted:

I don't have a hate-boner for other people's professions so I find it odd when people have one for mine.

As a non-programmer, but someone that studied programming in high-school, I wonder whether or not I should have just bit the bullet and forced myself to learn that bullshit and get some cushy soul-sucking 6-figgy job running a questionably functional website, or by trying to make money in an actually fulfilling field.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Microwaves Mom posted:

this is a common misunderstanding based on the fact that medieval wizards swore celibacy

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
guys, stand up meeting in 15 minutes!

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Gazpacho posted:

this is a common misunderstanding based on the fact that medieval wizards swore celibacy

whereas for programmers celibacy happens whether they swear it or not

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Microwaves Mom posted:

I'm still waiting for the cyberpunk future where my job title will be something like tech-wizard II, and I'm sequestered in an archology with street samurai bodyguards

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

ItBurns posted:

new graduates with computer skills erodes the value of the profession as a whole.

Where are these graduates? So many I see can't computer good.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Edgar posted:

loving kill me

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

solaranus posted:

As a non-programmer, but someone that studied programming in high-school, I wonder whether or not I should have just bit the bullet and forced myself to learn that bullshit and get some cushy soul-sucking 6-figgy job running a questionably functional website, or by trying to make money in an actually fulfilling field.

nah it's gay as hell. even if you love programming after you work in the industry for a year or two youll hate it. so really, if you love something, don't do that thing as your career.

the pay is pretty ok though.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

loinburger posted:

In general, the kind of programming that's interesting is not the kind of programming that you get paid for
If you develop excellent programming and other IT skills, have notable experience you can put on a resume (github on big projects, personal projects), and get your degrees in some other field (especially stem/hard sciences) you actually get to do pretty cool poo poo.

I'd probably burn out in a few years tops doing what most programmers do. For whatever reason I don't find web stuff that bad though.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 31, 2016

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Hey I need a programmer to do me a favour

I have an idea for a program for the game prisoners' dilemma (along the lines of tit for tat or one of those), and I need someone to program it so I can see how it runs against other options.

It's the sort of thing they programmed back in the 70s.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

i was a computer janitor then i was an it manager (which involved never doing anything with computers and spending more time arguing about budgets and trying to tell finance that yes, we needed to have licenses for microsoft products. then arguing with the directors when finance refused to give us money for licenses and we got hit with enormous fines lol) and i got very depressed about that so i got into coding instead and it's much less stressful and they give me more money.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Edgar posted:

Guys HOW do link list? thank you and god bless!

lol.

If you don't know how to do a linked list you're screwed.

Aralan posted:

I'm still waiting for the cyberpunk future where my job title will be something like tech-wizard II, and I'm sequestered in an archology with street samurai bodyguards

The proper term you're looking for is Decker or Cybermancer.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Edgar posted:

*meeting immediately derails and turns into 30 minutes of two turbonerds arguing about something pedantic while everyone else just stares*

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I'm a professional programmer but I can't program for poo poo, help.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Horniest Manticore posted:

i want to fight ever mba at your company too. what company do you work for?

3M.

You and me bro, back to back, knocking out pretentious douches for days 300 style.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i'm a progamer

please subscribe and donate to my twitch channel

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.
Some executive at some huge company thinks that right now is the last chance for anyone to become rich and that once everything gets automated by machines there will only poor people and a smaller amount of rich people and if you don't become rich right now then you and all of your descendants will likely be poor forever. Welp, gotta go try to get rich quick. Have a nice day.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Skeleton Ape posted:

*meeting immediately derails and turns into 30 minutes of two turbonerds arguing about something pedantic while everyone else just stares*

stand ups shouldnt involve any technical discussion i hate when people start talking about the tech details of what theyre working on or the exact nuance of a bug they found as if anybody else there understands. and the few that might dont give a poo poo because it's not their problem.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

We've always kept the technical nonsense for the end of standup, but everyone who isn't directly involved sticks around anyway because they are too chicken (or lazy) to leave.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i'm more of a brogrammer :c00lbert:

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

I sit in endless meetings for living. Sometimes I even get to see a computer. I guess that makes me a professional programmer.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i dont really know how to "program" like for real in C or something, but i have managed to kludge together some knowledge of java script and RPG Maker to make Minecraft mods and this Final Fantasy rogue-like:
http://rpgmaker.net/games/8399/

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
I copy paste .net from the internet and stare at it all day in visual studio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EB Nulshit posted:

Some executive at some huge company thinks that right now is the last chance for anyone to become rich and that once everything gets automated by machines there will only poor people and a smaller amount of rich people and if you don't become rich right now then you and all of your descendants will likely be poor forever. Welp, gotta go try to get rich quick. Have a nice day.

this is also the time that immortality will soon be invented. you have to get rich and become a eternal god king of the universe now, or you die and become dust like all weaker organisms before you

• Locked thread