Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a computer programmer?
I only know how to click on the AOL icon
I can edit HTML or config files and have written trivial programs
I have studied programming and can make useful but limited programs
I am a professional programmer who can write involved, complicated programs
View Results

• Locked thread
Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Actually, it was early 90s if you can believe that. It was specific to mainframes, though. Other courses used more current systems.

Installing Doom on the mainframe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Here is me writing support tickets to lazy IT.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Edgar posted:

Here is me writing support tickets to lazy IT.

Being a computer dude back then must have kind of owned bones. It's way harder to convince non-techs that you're a literal wizard nowadays :(

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Edgar posted:

my neighbor goes to companies and tries to sell them the agile process. That the reason their company is broken is because they are not playing planning poker!

I hope your neighbor dies and his kids never learn to read.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
drat, you used to have hot tape babes instead of like robots or whatever the gently caress they use these days?

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

nullEntityRNG posted:

I have a degree in physics, compsci, and math working a shirty low level sysadmin job. Let me tell you why this is a bad idea...

sounds terrible, how did you get there?

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

im a dyslexic brogrammer

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

nullEntityRNG posted:

I have a degree in physics, compsci, and math working a shirty low level sysadmin job. Let me tell you why this is a bad idea...

I have a degree in compsci and physics and have a cushy software engineer job, perhaps your problems stem from within

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

im a dyslexic brogrammer

Brogrammer sounds like an amazing name for a series of educational youtubes about programming. You're sitting on a goldmine, Gilchrist.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
If I had degrees in physics, comp sci and math I'd be in Huntsville writing software that for like missiles or some poo poo.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Aralan posted:

I have a degree in compsci and physics and have a cushy software engineer job, perhaps your problems stem from within

Perhaps it does :smith:

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

sounds terrible, how did you get there?

Got all my electives out in community college, thought I could chain physics courses and be done in 2 years. All physics courses had to be completed before the next one. Need full time to keep insurance, so gently caress it, compsci. Fail E&M enough times that compsci catches up. Due to all the high level math, only needed like 2 classes to get a degree in math, so gently caress it. Unfortunately, the focus on studies made me have no network and therefore effectively islanded.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Worst computer job I ever had involved this start up company and the boss kept coming in asking all the computer guys to fix poo poo like his daughter's laptop and other poo poo. Because we were always so "busy" and yet the company never really was busy because the CEO kept screwing things up with the work pipeline.

This included such things like asking people to help de-ice a window air conditioner by taking a plastic knife and scraping the ice off the metal parts.

or even better chipping away at the ice that formed on the office fridge because he finally found a hammer that he lost months ago and he had no idea what freon was.

Eventually the place crashed and burned. But the good thing was I got paid what i was owed.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

nullEntityRNG posted:

Perhaps it does :smith:

Got all my electives out in community college, thought I could chain physics courses and be done in 2 years. All physics courses had to be completed before the next one. Need full time to keep insurance, so gently caress it, compsci. Fail E&M enough times that compsci catches up. Due to all the high level math, only needed like 2 classes to get a degree in math, so gently caress it. Unfortunately, the focus on studies made me have no network and therefore effectively islanded.

Just farm out your resume everywhere, focus on the compsci part and let the physics/math sound suitably impressive even if it has nothing at all to do with where you're applying. I didn't have any networking to get in anywhere either, but if you have some idea what you're doing and don't have a crippling case of autism you're ahead of 90% of applicants anyway.

Come up with a better bs story explaining your majors too, I just talk about how much I loved compsci but also thought physics was really interesting even though I never planned to work in it

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Aralan posted:

Just farm out your resume everywhere, focus on the compsci part and let the physics/math sound suitably impressive even if it has nothing at all to do with where you're applying. I didn't have any networking to get in anywhere either, but if you have some idea what you're doing and don't have a crippling case of autism you're ahead of 90% of applicants anyway.

Come up with a better bs story explaining your majors too, I just talk about how much I loved compsci but also thought physics was really interesting even though I never planned to work in it

There's also companies who connect people with other companies who are looking for short term programmers.

They're pretty useful and they're not poo poo gigs either. Microsoft uses places like these to staff their places quickly.

If you don't have connections you can always make some, there is never a dead end.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon
I have a degree in Comp Sci and am currently doing mostly systems integration and automation for a college. I also develop custom modules in PHP for our online course system (moodle).

Languages don't mean a loving thing in the business world. You use whatever is in front of you and you pretty much never get to decide what that is. A decent Comp Sci education should mean it doesn't matter anyway - picking up new languages should be pretty easy.

When people ask me what I do now I tell them "I make your lovely software usable".

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Aralan posted:

Actually I always did love programming. Learned a shitload of ti-basic when I was in highschool, did a bunch of c++ in college and now tinkering with python.

It's more along the lines of crippling self-doubt and my abilities aren't as savant as the sperglords who just focused on it. (Jesus gently caress they just tore me down so often in college haha) But that's my problem to deal with.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i write COBOL stubs for aging ERP software

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Been in IT for almost 20 years, the last 8 of those supporting Enterprise level stuff like CMS systems, ERP and stuff that interfaces with SAP. I've been taking courses in C# and Javascript so that I deal with APIs and write and troubleshoot custom apps.

I don't think I would want to program full time but it's fun to learn

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Aralan posted:

I have a lovely degree in history and likewise have a cushy software engineer job :agesilaus:

Graduating right at the height of the late 90s tech boom did help though. Got a couple of years in before the big bust hit, but by that point I was in the industry with experience.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

feedmegin posted:

I have a lovely degree in history and likewise have a cushy software engineer job :agesilaus:

Graduating right at the height of the late 90s tech boom did help though. Got a couple of years in before the big bust hit, but by that point I was in the industry with experience.

Yeah I graduated in 2003 and ended up doing IT Support for a few years. It actually ended up being a good thing as I like working in small IT departments with other people who understand more than an extremely specific slice of computery things.

So not only am I a mediocre programmer, I'm mediocre at network and server admin too!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

feedmegin posted:

My last gig learned it was cheaper to hire smart people with worthless degrees and train them on the job then get a lovely H1B with a CS degree.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

BexGu posted:

My last gig learned it was cheaper to hire smart people with worthless degrees and train them on the job then get a lovely H1B with a CS degree.

There's so many breaks that makes hiring H1Bs so appealing on paper, but unless you're running a sham company who's sole purpose is to be a green card purchasing factory, you're going to pay for it down the line always. They cut and paste existing code without actually knowing what it does most of the time and you then hire more people in order to fix the poo poo that they're doing.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
yeah I'm a pogrammer does anyone need any jew accounting done or what

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Automation is one of the few things I still kinda like doing :unsmith:

It's fun to break apart all of a task's facets and lay them out into functions.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The Taint Reaper posted:

Worst computer job I ever had involved this start up company and the boss kept coming in asking all the computer guys to fix poo poo like his daughter's laptop and other poo poo. Because we were always so "busy" and yet the company never really was busy because the CEO kept screwing things up with the work pipeline.

This included such things like asking people to help de-ice a window air conditioner by taking a plastic knife and scraping the ice off the metal parts.

or even better chipping away at the ice that formed on the office fridge because he finally found a hammer that he lost months ago and he had no idea what freon was.

Eventually the place crashed and burned. But the good thing was I got paid what i was owed.

Man the Interplay Entertainment studio sounds crazy.

Degree is kinda meh. I learned c++ and C# in school. For work I do c. Our language cant do function overloads and theres a global i somewhere in the million lines of code.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 1, 2016

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

feedmegin posted:

...this is a reason software engineering is worse, in that case. Knowing how things work under the hood is good for you and will help you write more efficient code, especially in C++ (compared to higher level languages like Python).
People really should learn what's under the hood, but I wonder if some of that shouldn't be saved for a Master's. A lot of the problems that face fresh CS grads isn't from knowing how to build gates and bit adders or code in assembly, but instead it's a lack of exposure to poo poo people use. Little things like being familiar with version control software, knowing how to give effective presentations or conduct peer reviews... that can be lacking in college.

Communication skills, running meetings - the business side of things that managers care about - you either pick it up as you go or learned it from somewhere else (I have a second degree in a weird LA/BA chimera, which oddly has been quite useful). Maybe it's just what I've run into. :shrug:

opie posted:

What. I have a software engineering degree and had to create compilers and write assembly and OS kernel processes. And 16 years later it's useful in my current job. Actually I only care enough about assembly to see whether the instruction is packed or scalar. I don't write a lot of code these days but when I do it's C++, the best language.
The SE I know of now seems closer to what people end up doing - they learn somewhat how compilers work, while the CS degree track does that while building one. It's a bit less on the math and minutia, but a bit more on the designing/planning.

fordham posted:

Languages don't mean a loving thing in the business world. You use whatever is in front of you and you pretty much never get to decide what that is. A decent Comp Sci education should mean it doesn't matter anyway - picking up new languages should be pretty easy.
This is pretty true. You don't get to choose what the million legacy lines of code were written in. Doesn't hurt to learn several mainstays beforehand, though.

Tenzarin posted:

For work I do c. Our language cant do function overloads and theres a global i somewhere in the million lines of code.
Hahaha.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What I find odd, how does your job school not cram you with all kinda of code(i thought someone said something oh well). We do java, xml, html, c, c#, sql, oracle, python, VB, and mostly likely something else that some other product is using in another department. Just teach the basics and learn to adapt.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 2, 2016

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

E: wrong thread!

Professor of Cats fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 2, 2016

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

Tenzarin posted:

What I find odd, how does your job school not cram you with all kinda of code(i thought someone said something oh well). We do java, xml, html, c, c#, sql, oracle, python, VB, and mostly likely something else that some other product is using in another department. Just teach the basics and learn to adapt.

At this job I've done PHP, MSSQL, .net (VB and C#), powershell (though our sysadmin does most of it), and some vbscript bullshit (thankfully fully replaced by powershell now). Our registration system is built on PowerBuilder but I haven't had to touch that yet (and I've heard horrible things about it).

I'm pretty much the only programmer at the school (it's a tiny college) and I get all the "make this work" tasks. I actually like it because it gives me some great variety to my life, even if some of them are steaming turds.

In the 8 years I've been here I've become the guy people go to when no one else can figure poo poo out. I've only been stumped once so far, and it was trying to get a SSL interposer to work on an old-rear end version of Apache Tomcat that our library system runs on. Even got the interposer working, just wouldn't work with that drat binary.

Don't be afraid to pick up anything and bang away until it's working though. You want to be the guy everyone relies on even when you aren't doing anything.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

deadly_pudding posted:

Automation is one of the few things I still kinda like doing :unsmith:

It's fun to break apart all of a task's facets and lay them out into functions.

I loved doing that. Unfortunately I have to make interfaces do the impossible for morons.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
haters gonna hate, my career is a story of fighting against agile and then finally aligning myself with it and kicking rear end

of course it does help to have managers who do their part by prioritizing poo poo and accepting estimates

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 2, 2016

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Edgar posted:

Teachers: You must have a comment with every line of code you write, or no company will take you seriously!!!!!!

Look at the code from all the experienced programmers at my job, no comments to be found.

My job involves keeping alive a large suite of bespoke applications written around a particular database from the 1980s, written in an obscure language. The core of the system is still from the mid-80s and was written by programmers who were veterans already (long-since retired now) and had learned their craft in an even earlier age. This means that they worked under the assumption that storage space was horribly expensive and strictly limited, to the point where not only are there no comments in their code, but even the variable names are as short as possible and therefore contain no hint as to what the variables are for.

There was documentation of the original implementation and some of it survives to this day. Mainly in the form of a huge sheet of brown packing paper (which would be suitable for covering a whole wall; I keep it rolled up in my closet) with a lot of bits of printouts glued to it and a lot of handwritten notes and lines and arrows and poo poo.

BelgianWaffle
Aug 25, 2002
damn Belgian
software engineers can only do whatever the cpu engineers allow them to do.

That's why programmer A will always be disposable with programmer B

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I'm a software architect, or something.

Well, that was my story.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
I did a code thing once and then some people gave me money so I guess I am a program

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
i pair programmed and caught TDD

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I get paid to mostly write computer programs in IDL, C, Fortran and Python but I have no formal training or education in any of those, I just use google and/or repurpose other programs to do what I want. As a result my programs tend to be very bloated, inefficient, and probably impossible for anyone but me to use them properly so I doubt I could get an actual "programmer" specific job where any of that stuff actually matters.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh hey, if we're doing language chat I've spent my entire career in .NET shops and am now in a Java shop for the first time in my life and let me tell you it is weird to me that everyone here uses a loving MacBook. At a job! Where professionals work! Not students! :psyduck:

I even tried to use one too for a few months so I could fit in but the keyboard alone drove me loving nuts so I convinced IT to give me a Windows 7 laptop instead. I think I might be the only one in the entire engineering department using one.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

loquacius posted:

Oh hey, if we're doing language chat I've spent my entire career in .NET shops and am now in a Java shop for the first time in my life and let me tell you it is weird to me that everyone here uses a loving MacBook. At a job! Where professionals work! Not students! :psyduck:

I even tried to use one too for a few months so I could fit in but the keyboard alone drove me loving nuts so I convinced IT to give me a Windows 7 laptop instead. I think I might be the only one in the entire engineering department using one.

Some of our teams do that too. They're developing a product that runs in the cloud, on Linux, but no gotta have Macs because ~hipster~.

(Meanwhile I spend half my time hammering on old Itanium or Sparc iron :corsair:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Germstore posted:

If I had degrees in physics, comp sci and math I'd be in Huntsville writing software that for like missiles or some poo poo.

it's cool sometimes you go for walks and you hear loud booms from the other side of the arsenal and you wonder what kind of poo poo they're blowing up.

• Locked thread