Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a computer programmer?
I only know how to click on the AOL icon
I can edit HTML or config files and have written trivial programs
I have studied programming and can make useful but limited programs
I am a professional programmer who can write involved, complicated programs
View Results

• Locked thread
Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I can do a little programming. Not sure Id want to make something like that my job tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

loquacius posted:

Oh hey, if we're doing language chat I've spent my entire career in .NET shops and am now in a Java shop for the first time in my life and let me tell you it is weird to me that everyone here uses a loving MacBook. At a job! Where professionals work! Not students! :psyduck:

I even tried to use one too for a few months so I could fit in but the keyboard alone drove me loving nuts so I convinced IT to give me a Windows 7 laptop instead. I think I might be the only one in the entire engineering department using one.

My field is like that too. Every conference or group meeting is a sea of macbooks. I can almost blend in with my new surface book (running ubuntu for work) until they look at the back and see the symbol isn't an apple and roll their eyes asking me why I don't get a mac. I don't get it - every conference there are several people who have problems getting their macbook hooked up to the projector right, causing delays and the tech people scrambling trying to figure it out. Meanwhile my windows+linux laptops have never had any problems (except for the time where the projector only had hdmi/displayport hookups, but that was just because the computer was too old to have those).

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!

Evil_Greven posted:

The SE I know of now seems closer to what people end up doing - they learn somewhat how compilers work, while the CS degree track does that while building one. It's a bit less on the math and minutia, but a bit more on the designing/planning.
Well admittedly I went to college when they were still teaching COBOL and Ada. I looked at the current curriculum at my college and it's more c++ and less advanced assembly and grammars. But still all the physics and calculus.

My first job involved c++ and MFC, and that lasted for 14 years. At some point I realized that no one does that anymore and finding a different job would just get harder, and then I finally left when they said I had to start working on the COBOL system. The next job was for a small consulting company where I did a php site, MVC site, Android app, and MVVM app, sometimes all at the same time. I got tired of being so close to the billing and constant context switching, so after 18 months I left for my current company. Now I work on code optimization for various applications including 3d rendering and HPC.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Evil_Greven posted:

The SE I know of now seems closer to what people end up doing - they learn somewhat how compilers work, while the CS degree track does that while building one. It's a bit less on the math and minutia, but a bit more on the designing/planning.

fwiw I never had to build a compiler in my CS program. I did have to spend a semester writing assembly code for an x86 emulator, though. I also had to make minor edits to a MINUX kernel. I kinda feel like I ended up walking away with like a shittier SE degree where I took more math courses :goleft:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Murphy Brownback posted:

My field is like that too. Every conference or group meeting is a sea of macbooks. I can almost blend in with my new surface book (running ubuntu for work) until they look at the back and see the symbol isn't an apple and roll their eyes asking me why I don't get a mac. I don't get it - every conference there are several people who have problems getting their macbook hooked up to the projector right, causing delays and the tech people scrambling trying to figure it out. Meanwhile my windows+linux laptops have never had any problems (except for the time where the projector only had hdmi/displayport hookups, but that was just because the computer was too old to have those).

I'm super jealous, the only laptops our IT department had on hand were Macbooks and Dell Latitudes. The Latitude has an i5 and 16GB of RAM so it can run whatever I need, it's just not sexy at all. I could buy my own Surface Book, but I really can't justify the purchase if I'm the one making it.

(and yeah the Mac assortment of dongles and adapters is always hilarious)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Archer666 posted:

I can do a little programming. Not sure Id want to make something like that my job tho

yeah, this.

programming is a handy skill to have when you want to make some tool or do some big complicated math, but it's not a fun or rewarding experience in and of itself. like, i enjoy cooking at home, but i can see how miserable professional chefs are

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

im a systems analyst and the full-time programmers in my company are some of the laziest people i've seen in my life

they dont do anything outside of deadlines and need crunch time and a gun to the head in order to do anything productive

they have poor hygiene habits and half of them post on brony forums all day, no exaggeration. the other half are significantly older than the advent of object-oriented programming and can't be hosed to learn anything new without complaining.

it would really sour me on programmers but literally every other programmer i have met outside of my company have been pretty cool people.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

feedmegin posted:

Some of our teams do that too. They're developing a product that runs in the cloud, on Linux, but no gotta have Macs because ~hipster~.

(Meanwhile I spend half my time hammering on old Itanium or Sparc iron :corsair:)

My work gave me a mac and the long battery life and ~streamline~ ui of macs tend to make switching tasks a lot faster on a mac than a pc. Plus, it's branding. Your company looks a shitton better with your employees carrying around 1400 MacBook airs than some cheap dell.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

nullEntityRNG posted:

My work gave me a mac and the long battery life and ~streamline~ ui of macs tend to make switching tasks a lot faster on a mac than a pc. Plus, it's branding. Your company looks a shitton better with your employees carrying around 1400 MacBook airs than some cheap dell.

*clears throat*
Thinkpad supremacy, bitch!

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Germstore posted:

*clears throat*
Thinkpad supremacy, bitch!

Rutibex posted:

yeah, this.

programming is a handy skill to have when you want to make some tool or do some big complicated math, but it's not a fun or rewarding experience in and of itself. like, i enjoy cooking at home, but i can see how miserable professional chefs are

Look at how wrong this guy can be! Being a skilled programmer is like being able to build poo poo with the most loving amazing lego set you can possibly imagine. You can make little machines that move parts around and flip and twist and interact with other little machines and do really cool poo poo. And the coolest part of it cannot be seen. It's like the matrix. The interface that non-coders touch is a clunky poo poo interface usually (because UI designers suck rear end) but the poo poo underneath is awesome if you're good.

ScrotoTurboSperg posted:

im a systems analyst and the full-time programmers in my company are some of the laziest people i've seen in my life

they dont do anything outside of deadlines and need crunch time and a gun to the head in order to do anything productive

they have poor hygiene habits and half of them post on brony forums all day, no exaggeration. the other half are significantly older than the advent of object-oriented programming and can't be hosed to learn anything new without complaining.

it would really sour me on programmers but literally every other programmer i have met outside of my company have been pretty cool people.

Your company has poo poo management.

Gazpacho posted:

haters gonna hate, my career is a story of fighting against agile and then finally aligning myself with it and kicking rear end

of course it does help to have managers who do their part by prioritizing poo poo and accepting estimates

That's the thing. If you have knowledgable, competent managers, or at least lazy ones that leave you alone (if you're a crew of young go-getters) you can kick rear end. lovely management in agile is still lovely loving management.

pr0k fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 2, 2016

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Went back to college and got a degree in Computer Engineering. Got hired as a Siebel developer pretty much as soon as I graduated, though I've only just started working. It's been more like "working", though, because the first two months are all training in various things, some programming related, such as how to use Subversion, and some that are not related to programming at all, such as how to use Skype for Business. I can only hope the actual work is interesting once it starts in... three weeks.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I started with similar humble BASIC beginnings, even dabbled in Assembler on the ol' Amiga before switching to the PC and higher languages, still as one of those mostly self-thought people. Worked in different IT-related things but completely left that field now and am much happier for it. I just loathed the kinds of people you had to deal with, even as freelancing person. My most vivid memory is my first job with my (only) coworker (office of three, boss was hardly ever there) which was morbidly obese, reeked of various things and had some kind of skin fungus eating him alive. I wish I was kidding. All of this would have even been bearable and only kinda sad if he also wasn't the most childish, obnoxious and antisocial person I've ever met. (up to that date, boy didn't I meet many "IT-People" yet) All that stuff didn't really exist back then (or at least, it wasn't socially acceptable yet to flaunt it around) but if he's alive now (which I doubt somehow) I bet he'd be a brony, a furry and everything else on that spectrum. Funnily all my friends are completely non-technical people who barely know how to turn a computer on and maybe play the odd game if things get really nerdy.

I still have that dream I bet many programmers have to eventually return to that field with some self-made videogame idea or something which I guess is the hot thing now, but I don't know. I don't think I really understand that world anymore.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
According to some, I'm not a programmer, because I do things like this to shutup the RAII obsessed:

vector<float> Mem(N);
float *mem = Mem.data();

AwesomeCFunction(mem, N);

//Mem will self destruct. Will you leave me alone now?

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
C++11 has the auto keyword! please use it

jlechem
Nov 2, 2011

Fun Shoe
B.S computer science 12 years in the industry I work in java c# and c++. I make 6 figures and love programming but it's not for everyone. I learned how to code writing BASIC on an Apple IIe with a 3.5 floppy drive

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

Al Cowens posted:

Yeah talk just like my coworkers that's exactly why I come to these forums. Here is your punishment:

AwesomeCFunction(float *mem, size_t N){
free(mem);
}

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I'm a senior studying CS and the theoretical poo poo makes me gag and I absolutely hate all of my classmates but I've also already got multiple job offers for 60k+ so it's not all bad

kremlins
May 9, 2009

i just finished making a site with all my writings concerning programming/computer hardware stuff

you can find it here: http://9.ce.gl

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Al Cowens posted:

Some of us still have production build machines running gcc 3.4 :colbert:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

Went back to college and got a degree in Computer Engineering. Got hired as a Siebel developer pretty much as soon as I graduated, though I've only just started working. It's been more like "working", though, because the first two months are all training in various things, some programming related, such as how to use Subversion, and some that are not related to programming at all, such as how to use Skype for Business. I can only hope the actual work is interesting once it starts in... three weeks.

You're getting training in how to use SVN? That's one of several things I had to figure out on my own in my first week (another of those things was Javascript lol)

...wait, you're getting training in how to use Skype? :psyduck:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

loquacius posted:

You're getting training in how to use SVN? That's one of several things I had to figure out on my own in my first week (another of those things was Javascript lol)

Skype for Business has basically nothing to do with actual Skype, fwiw, it's Microsoft's rebranding of Lync.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Al Cowens posted:

I wish I could use C++11

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

feedmegin posted:

Skype for Business has basically nothing to do with actual Skype, fwiw, it's Microsoft's rebranding of Lync.

I learned something new about Microsoft's Skype purchase today, and it is hilarious.

Hi, it's me, the only developer in this company that uses SVN :v:. I write mostly tools and side-projects that I can do in .net C#, php, or Java. Everybody else is still using Visual Foxpro 6 and 8, which uses some kinda voodoo binary files for its forms, and therefore can't be reliably diff merged in source control. Foxpro 8 has a tool to convert the binaries into text, but AFAIK only Foxpro 9 has "Fox Bin 2 Prg" which can convert binary forms to text and back again seamlessly. Any time I make a change to one of their projects, I have to basically just record what I did and let them implement it themselves if they were already doing something in parallel.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

loquacius posted:

"This is how you set up a webex meeting."

"This is how you join a webex meeting."

"Make sure you upload your photo to our employee database so it gets updated on Skype and people know what you look like!"

The next three days are going to be dedicated to "Modern OOP Software Design", which I imagine will cover design methodologies.

I asked why we use SVN over Git, and the answer boiled down to, " It's what out vendors used to use, lol."

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Batterypowered7 posted:

I asked why we use SVN over Git, and the answer boiled down to, " It's what out vendors used to use, lol."

The secret is that's what the older developers/tech lead are used to using. Getting push back from people used to certain a certain code base (java 7, svn, etc) is just a fact of life.

At least it's not as bad as govie stuff.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

If it works well enough, there's not really any incentive to change it and it's a hassle to do so (and for everyone who doesn't know git already to learn it - git is famously not super intuitive). It's not like you're using Visual SourceSafe.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I also never got any training in our equivalent of Lync (Hipchat + Jabber). Probably could have used some though

And yeah, Git is objectively more powerful than SVN but it is opaque as hell and there's a pretty substantial learning curve before you actually get any advantage out of it

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!
My training has always amounted to
"hi new person, here's your computer we found in the back closet with about 1/4 the disk space you'll need, and here's a link to our wiki that hasn't been updated in 4 years. I'll check back with you in a week or so."

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.

loquacius posted:

And yeah, Git is objectively more powerful than SVN but it is opaque as hell and there's a pretty substantial learning curve before you actually get any advantage out of it

You should be able to read the git book in a couple of hours. Given all the other tools you have to learn day-to-day, this should be an easy task.

kremlins
May 9, 2009

i don't understand why people don't like CVS

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
ive got a job writing python when i graduate and its gonna be som e interesting poo poo cause i havent written code in months and ive gotta not get fired for 2 years til i b ecome the dev ops extraordinare and get 200k and a middling asian girlfriend

gangnam reference fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 3, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

EB Nulshit posted:

You should be able to read the git book in a couple of hours. Given all the other tools you have to learn day-to-day, this should be an easy task.

You mean the entire company gets to read the git book for a couple of hours, instead of doing useful work. That's a fairly substantial hit to the company's productivity if you're not actually getting any advantage from it other than 'oh look we're using the currently-hip revision control system'.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

gangnam reference posted:

ive got a job writing python when i graduate and its gonna be som e interesting poo poo cause i havent written code in months and ive gotta not get fired for 2 years til i b ecome the dev ops extraordinare and get 200k and a middling asian girlfriend

Advice: come up with some Python project to just crank out and remind yourself of what the hell you're doing before you get started at the new job.

Before I interviewed for my final college internship, which just kind of got a pay raise and transformed into my current job 6 months later, I sat down and just started cranking out a completely lovely 2D game engine in Java. I didn't finish it, but the important thing was that it got the gears turning in my head again. Also, once I got some details for what kind of web app they wanted me to make as an intern like a few days before my interview, I made a really quick prototype of it on my home server that I could demo over remote desktop. Killed 2 birds of "getting my brain back into code writing mode" and "impressing potential boss". Already knowing how to make the thing they wanted like before they hired me really sealed the deal. They called me in for "second interview" that literally consisted of my boss showing me where my office would be and telling me to show up on Monday :v:

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Kremlin Kremlin posted:

i don't understand why people don't like CVS

This is a bad opinion and you are bad for having it.

kremlins
May 9, 2009

pr0k posted:

you don't think it be like it is but it do

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

pr0k posted:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
My computer related job involved spending the first week outside picking literal garbage, scrap metal and dead tree matter for 8 hours a day in -5 to 0 weather in freezing rain.

That's my story. Then immediately after coming inside for the first time I was given absolute domain admin.

canned from the band
Sep 13, 2007

I'm a man of intensity. Of cool, and youth, and passionately

Batterypowered7 posted:

such as how to use Subversion

first day at Subversion school: "everyone just use git, ok?"

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
A lot of this seems to be focused around academic/career choices, which is interesting, but I am also interested in where in the learning process programming just became an obvious interest.

Like, almost everyone reading this is computer savvy, and we probably grew up writing BASIC programs or making batch files for DOS W4R3Z hacks or telnetting into UNIX terminals or writing simple webpages. (That is me). But some people went beyond that to be able to write programs, and work on large programs that are millions of lines of code that do things like run the physical infrastructure of our society. So what is the difference? Is it a matter of interest, self-discipline, intelligence? Or did it never even seem like a wall to successful programmers? Like one day in middle school you are writing the Lemonade Stand in BASIC, and then 25 years later you are writing the code that runs a nuclear reactor, and there was never a clear break?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if you're honest with yourself about what you actually understand or not and have an interest in the subject matter outside of work it's pretty straightforward to get legitimately good at it

i guess this is probably true for a lot of things

• Locked thread