Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
From what I remember of the World Cup, 90% of the tickets go to corporate sponsors and the rest to whatever counts as Ticketmaster in this context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
We can't cancel sports, not even for a second, lets be real

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It could be that the unsold tickets are to events that people care less about. I don't think the summer Olympics have actually sold out in a long while.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Cliff Racer posted:

It could be that the unsold tickets are to events that people care less about. I don't think the summer Olympics have actually sold out in a long while.
It is usually this. The finals for sprinting, swimming, etc. are all sold out, but nobody other that the competitor's mothers are going to bother to turn out for the first round of the shot-put or whatever. When you hold this stuff in big venues (which you have to do to justify the large expenditure and cost overruns), you end up with low-tier elimination rounds of sports that aren't so popular at completely oversized venues.

e: tons of these tickets end up being given out to sponsors who then never use them and the like.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Cliff Racer posted:

London effectively did. There still was pictures of the odd event with empty seats though thanks to corporate tickets.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
London is one of the few modern Olympics that occurred in a first world country with responsible governance and an affluent population.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Morrow posted:

London is one of the few modern Olympics that occurred in a first world country with responsible governance and an affluent population.

Also less ostentatious than most modern Olympics.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It's like they weren't trying to use it a combined prestige project/bread & circuses to distract the world and their own population from immense long-standing problems while funneling lots of money into private pockets.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Morrow posted:

Using 2000 as a cut off, Sydney, Salt Lake and Vancouver were all in "acceptable" locations. Sochi, Beijing and Athens were not. Turin is debatable if you want to talk about Italy as a whole but from what I've heard its one of the "good" areas. Half and half seems acceptable to me, to be honest.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Morrow posted:

IMO, countries that have difficulty with the concept of modern plumbing should not be allowed to post the olympics.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Morrow posted:

It's like they weren't trying to use it a combined prestige project/bread & circuses to distract the world and their own population from immense long-standing problems while funneling lots of money into private pockets.

Oh, they absolutely were, we've just gotten very good at corruption in the City of London.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

-Troika- posted:

IMO, countries that have difficulty with the concept of modern plumbing should not be allowed to post the olympics.

Check your civilised country privilege :c00lbutt:

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Cliff Racer posted:

Using 2000 as a cut off, Sydney, Salt Lake and Vancouver were all in "acceptable" locations. Sochi, Beijing and Athens were not. Turin is debatable if you want to talk about Italy as a whole but from what I've heard its one of the "good" areas. Half and half seems acceptable to me, to be honest.

I was using 2004 as a cut-off, as that's the first year I knew about the Olympics, and consider Salt Lake to have been a barely averted disaster.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

-Troika- posted:

I would totally attend Olympics in Sri Lanka.

Oh, sure, Modi claims he will toiletize mainland India, but come on.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Oh, sure, Modi claims he will toiletize mainland India, but come on.
Isn't India already toiletized?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I was being a little tongue in cheek but it's an ongoing project in lots of rural areas and some of the poorer parts of some cities.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Street making GBS threads megathread is in GBS.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The word demanded that response.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Looks like the President is being impeached: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/18/world/americas/brazil-dilma-rousseff-impeachment-vote.html

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I'd love if the riots manage to wait until the Olympics to really fire off, there just weren't enough of them during the World Cup.

Lucy_Cominato
Oct 23, 2010
On the day of the finals,there was a protest in Saenz Peña Square,one mile from Maracana stadium,where thw finals happened.The intention was to go in the direction of the stadium all the way to the police barrier.
Turns out that the police surrounded the square and didnt let anyone out until 1 hour after the game was over

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Some Zika, anyone?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Zika concerns for the summer olympics are completely overblown. The following are cases of dengue fever per 100,000 for Rio. Dengue is transmitted by the same mosquito as Zika:

The x axis is week of the year. Olympics start at around the 30 week mark. Blue line is mean for past 2 years. At that point in the year, infection rate is less than 2.5 per 100,000. There are hundreds of thousands more cases of dengue than zika, and yet dengue virtually disappears in august, because the mosquito virtually disappears. People are at significantly higher risk of being killed by a stray bullet than catching Zika in august in Rio.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Concerns over the bay that's full of literal, actual poo poo, on the other hand...

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

joepinetree posted:

Zika concerns for the summer olympics are completely overblown. The following are cases of dengue fever per 100,000 for Rio. Dengue is transmitted by the same mosquito as Zika:

The x axis is week of the year. Olympics start at around the 30 week mark. Blue line is mean for past 2 years. At that point in the year, infection rate is less than 2.5 per 100,000. There are hundreds of thousands more cases of dengue than zika, and yet dengue virtually disappears in august, because the mosquito virtually disappears. People are at significantly higher risk of being killed by a stray bullet than catching Zika in august in Rio.

The issue is less the number of people catching it and more that it is now proven to be sexually transmitted, and it's an STI that causes birth defects, and then introducing that to all other countries. People are less afraid of a pandemic breaking out in Brazil as much as what happens when it ends. Stick everyone in quarantine?

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I think that the fifth reason is so sad , this "Olympic spirit" bullshit that is crammed down our throats all the time is obviously just that, bullshit, when billions of dollars are on the line.

http://harvardpublichealthreview.org/

Off the Podium: Why Public Health Concerns for Global Spread of Zika Virus Means That Rio de Janeiro’s 2016 Olympic Games Must Not Proceed

Brazil’s Zika problem is inconveniently not ending. The outbreak that began in the country’s northeast has reached Rio de Janeiro, where it is flourishing. Clinical studies are also mounting that Zika infection is associated not just with pediatric microcephaly and brain damage, but also adult conditions such as Guillain-Barré syndrome and acute disseminated encephalomyelitis, which are debilitating and sometimes fatal.

Simply put, Zika infection is more dangerous, and Brazil’s outbreak more extensive, than scientists reckoned a short time ago. Which leads to a bitter truth: the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games must be postponed, moved, or both, as a precautionary concession. There are five reasons.

First, Rio de Janeiro is more affected by Zika than anyone expected, rendering earlier assumptions of safety obsolete.

Second, although Zika virus was discovered nearly seventy years ago, the viral strain that recently entered Brazil is clearly new, different, and vastly more dangerous than “old” Zika.

Third, while Brazil’s Zika inevitably will spread globally — given enough time, viruses always do — it helps nobody to speed that up.

Fourth, when (not if) the Games speed up Zika’s spread, the already-urgent job of inventing new technologies to stop it becomes harder.

Fifth, proceeding with the Games violates what the Olympics stand for.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

davebo posted:

Yeah I have no clue how Olympic tickets are sold. Like they must allocate a certain amount for sale within the host country right? And you would think they'd have the ability to charge different amounts to citizens vs foreigners so some of the less well-off locals could attend home team games? Outside of that, and given how corrupt the entire process is, are they just at liberty to price-gouge specific sales based on the location of the buyer? Could there be some side-market where people in Ethiopia buy tickets for Americans for a fee or given the security do these events require ID/passports that match the tickets to get in the venue?
From memory there was a controversy at a previous Olympics/Commonwealth Games where quite often the stands were empty because the tickets were often allocated to corporations who never showed up and the ticket prices were too expensive for the poorer local population, despite the demand. I don't know if that's been remedied for this games or not.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Fanatic posted:

From memory there was a controversy at a previous Olympics/Commonwealth Games where quite often the stands were empty because the tickets were often allocated to corporations who never showed up and the ticket prices were too expensive for the poorer local population, despite the demand. I don't know if that's been remedied for this games or not.

Well at this rate to save face with the worldwide tv audiences they'll just have to fill all the empty seats with small-headed babies.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Fanatic posted:

It was a big issue during the London 2012 Olympics. As I remember it, much of it was due to the typical Olympic Committee shenanigans. Part-and-parcel of demands like closing off roads in order to provide driving lanes that are for Olympic business only, primarily so Committee members can get around without encountering traffic. So those empty seats, right in front, were mostly reserved for the Olympic Committee themselves and their corporate sponsors. But if you have reserved seating for the entire Olympic Games, why show up for some boring swimming or gymnastic competition?

World would be a better place if cities were more willing to tell the Olympic Committee to go gently caress itself.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I'm crosspost from the LOL thread.

9:20 a.m.

Just hours after the Senate vote that suspended Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff, her entire Cabinet was dismissed.

The G1 internet portal of the Globo television network says notice of the dismissal of the 27 ministers has appeared in Thursday's edition of the government gazette.

Those sacked include former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, Rousseff's predecessor and mentor, whom she named as her chief of staff in March.

The dismissals appear to open the way for Rousseff's Vice President Michel Temer to swear in his own Cabinet as early as Thursday.

Temer has suggested he'll slash the number of Cabinet posts to 22.

The International Olympic Committee says it is looking forward to working with the new Brazilian government ahead of the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro following the impeachment of President Dilma Rousseff.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/latest-senate-debate-brazil-impeachment-drags-39058151

There is no real government in Brazil right now. They have cleaned out everyone. Now it's a power grab.

Edit: I say power grab because, Out of the 80 senators that participated in Wednesday’s vote on whether to impeach Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff, 60 percent of them have legal cases pending against them, ranging from charges of bribery to money laundering.

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Brazil-60-of-Senators-Have-Pending-Legal-Cases-Against-Them-20160511-0015.html

Whole things a mess.

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Lime Tonics posted:

Edit: I say power grab because, Out of the 80 senators that participated in Wednesday’s vote on whether to impeach Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff, 60 percent of them have legal cases pending against them, ranging from charges of bribery to money laundering.

Holy poo poo HOW?!? What in the world is going on in brazil?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Unchecked corruption for years by the government and shady deals with state run companies, especially petrobras. It doesn't help that oil prices are low. Having to find a way to squeeze money from other sources. We wouldn't be having this conversation if the price of oil was higher. Loss of money just accelerated the collapse.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm another person who has only been vaguely familiar with anything going on in Brazil but the last few years seem to just be non-stop insanity. Are there any good articles or article lists that can explain exactly how everything seems to be falling apart so fast?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Just look up "operation car wash".

Here's a good summary, but there is more out there.

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/analysis/What-You-Need-to-Know-About-Brazils-Petrobras-Scandal-20160313-0012.html

Add to the fact brazil is in a deep recession, people are mad about not being paid. The whole Olympics thing is just another layer on the cake.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I was in Brasil last year for a Fulbright program and the international reporting has not even come close to doing justice to how bad things are on the ground. Their economy is poo poo, the Olympics are causing all kinds of damage and unrest, the real is in the gutter (3 or 4 real per dollar, if not worse), how bad public services are tanking (crazy bus and subway fee hikes), people not getting stipends and striking in droves in resposne, the rampant corruption and mismanagement of various public works, the health crisis with Dengue and now Zika, the drought in SP, etc. The list is really kind of endless. The governmental stuff with Dilma is just the icing on the cake. Like someone else said, if oil, minerals, etc were trading higher right now the PT might've had enough money to ride things out, but no chance of that happening now. To be clear, I'm not blaming all that on the PT (most of it is just business as usual in Brasil and Dilma has done a lot of work supporting the poor and the growing middle class), but they're in a vortex of poo poo right now with no signs of slowdown.

Good resources on what's happening now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gMrRORKyHQ

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/21/dilma-rousseff-enemies-impeached-brazil

https://theintercept.com/2016/03/18/brazil-is-engulfed-by-ruling-class-corruption-and-a-dangerous-subversion-of-democracy/

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 13, 2016

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

To be clear, I'm not blaming all that on the PT

Why not, previous governments didn't have massive (ly inflated) amounts of oil wealth to throw around and the country wasn't collapsing under them? Well, not recently anyway.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Oil prices were high for the vast majority of the 2000s, Dilma only was elected in 2011 and basically everyone in the legislature, both opposition and former supporters of PT is under investigation for corruption what are you talking about

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The PT under Lula (Dilma's predecessor) was still involved in lots of shady poo poo, but they at least made some strides towards redistributing some of the wealth in order to grow the middle class and try to lessen some of the inequalities that are rife in Brazilian society.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

rscott posted:

Oil prices were high for the vast majority of the 2000s, Dilma only was elected in 2011 and basically everyone in the legislature, both opposition and former supporters of PT is under investigation for corruption what are you talking about

We aren't talking Rouseff, we are talking PT. And we aren't even talking normal corruption, though that is obviously bad. The current crises have been exacerbated infinitely by all the Petrobras lies that took place during the Lula years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

We aren't talking Rouseff, we are talking PT. And we aren't even talking normal corruption, though that is obviously bad. The current crises have been exacerbated infinitely by all the Petrobras lies that took place during the Lula years.

You clearly have no clue what you are talking about. Oil was never the main Brazilian export, Brazil has virtually always imported more oil than it exported due to Brazilian consumption, and given the quality of Brazilian oil and it's refining capabilities it always imported more expensive oil than it exported. And all the evidence points to the corruption scheme starting long before Lula.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 15, 2016

• Locked thread