Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Thats not the scarlett letter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
The bible.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
Fifty shades of gay

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

the culminator posted:

gently caress

in that case, Turn of the Screw. poo poo was boring until the end when she apparently killed the kid maybe by hugging him to death. that was cool.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
the hobbart

its'a bout hobart australia

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
more like catcher in the gouge my eye out

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
my antonia is boring as poo poo

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
A Separate Peace

I can't really think of anything else that came anywhere near that novel in badness from then. Worst literature I've read for college so far has been Stephen Crane's "The Blue Hotel" and a selection of his poems, and that's likely not going to change considering my Bachelor's is a couple of months away.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
A House on Mango Street.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
We did get to read Fahrenheit 451 and The Importance of Being Earnest though and that was awesome.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Rabbit-Proof Fence.. honestly English teacher, I don't give a drat about Australia, can't we watch glory instead?

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014
things fall apart, the glorious story of a chief + searing/slaying children due to supersticion

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
canterbury tales who gives a poo poo about anything in that poo poo

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Volume posted:

We did get to read Fahrenheit 451 and The Importance of Being Earnest though and that was awesome.
i read Importance of Being Earnest in 11th grade and it was loving hilarious

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Lol i just remembered the chocolate war. Even in 7th grade i could tell those books were poo poo

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Iron Prince posted:

canterbury tales who gives a poo poo about anything in that poo poo
honestly, Canterbury Tales was not too bad. i certainly wouldn't read it again, but it didn't make me want to gouge my eyes out like Turn of the Screw or Heart of Darkness.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

idk i never read any of them

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I don't remember the title, I think it had something to do with bees maybe? But basically it was about a little black girl who gets violently raped by her dad and impregnated and no one cared or believed her so she goes crazy because she's pregnant with her dad's baby. It was pretty awkward.

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014

Nuebot posted:

I don't remember the title, I think it had something to do with bees maybe? But basically it was about a little black girl who gets violently raped by her dad and impregnated and no one cared or believed her so she goes crazy because she's pregnant with her dad's baby. It was pretty awkward.

that's sorta hosed up

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Warriners

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style

Nuebot posted:

Cider House Rules.

Any Shakespeare that had to be read aloud by every hick student.

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

The Americans by Henry James is not only the worst book I read in high school, but is likely worse than most of the books that will be posted in this thread. People only read James because Ernest Hemingway liked him, otherwise he would have been completely forgotten.

A Separate Peace was bad too I guess.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Bobert Bobertson posted:

things fall apart, the glorious story of a chief + searing/slaying children due to supersticion

Everything I had to read in the international baccalaureate program, including this.

I forget the title, but there was one about a girl in a third world country going through a civil war, and all the horrible poo poo that happened to her. Including her brother getting a more hearty meal than her, masturbating in the room next to her, and some sniper that she slept with that eventually shot her. Every word was agonizing, not just because of what was portrayed, but because the author was so up her own rear end that her writing style was painfully dramatic.

It wouldn't be the first time we'd read a book about the struggles of an imaginary female protagonist. My female English instructor would see to that!

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
the one about the drunk indian, i can't remember what it was called

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life
i don't remember any books i actively hated but what i do remember is doing the oral report or whatever on To Kill a Mockingbird and one girl who thought she could act because her dad worked in movies doing hers as this weird thing where she pretended to be the "rape victim" from the book and shouted "friend of the family" uncomfortably loud in front of the class

tyk00n
Sep 25, 2006

College Slice
either 'Brave New World' or 'Shipping News' ... all I remember about 'Brave New World' is drinking mustard water, and 'Shipping News' I made a video report on it for a project, and had a flash animation of the rape scene, good times

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Like Water for Chocolate

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
the protocols of the elders of zion was boring as heck

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

the culminator posted:

well poo poo

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

a norwegian young adult book about anorexia written in first person

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i recall cyrano de bergerac being retarded and boring as hell

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

diabeetz posted:

Any Shakespeare that had to be read aloud by every hick student.

def this

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Leroy Dennui posted:

A Separate Peace

I can't really think of anything else that came anywhere near that novel in badness from then. Worst literature I've read for college so far has been Stephen Crane's "The Blue Hotel" and a selection of his poems, and that's likely not going to change considering my Bachelor's is a couple of months away.

I remember that book having heavy homosexual undertones

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
A Separate Peace (of poo poo). I wrote "this is so gay" i.e., Homosexual as a footnote at least every 15 pages. Nothing wrong with being gay but everyone (especially the teacher) denying that the guys in the book are gay are dumb (not dumber than the book though).

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 31, 2016

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Far from the Madding Crowd

The film version at least tries to make sense, but it's retarded beyond belief.
It's trying to be a romance novel, but romance novels do not have sheep forced off a side of a cliff, a bad guy who isn't a bad guy other than he missed marrying someone for their fault, and a hero so useless he stands around and gets cock blocked by a third man.
The 'hero' literally only wins as the other two wipe each other out.
He is the third place runner up lover to the main character.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 31, 2016

tyk00n
Sep 25, 2006

College Slice
this thread reminds me of a course I took in university called 'Movies as Film' where every week you watched a different lovely movie based on a different lovely book. Needless to say, I never went to class and just read the IMDB summary before the exam; I think I got a 85 in that course.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
Catcher in the rye

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

FuriousGeorge posted:

my antonia is boring as poo poo

it ended with "his" immigrant girl moving away and getting married to someone else while he remained a single bitch boy clerk all his life, but she let him visit her family sometimes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

zoink2000 posted:

'Brave New World'

orgy porgy

• Locked thread