Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Brave New World was so hated by my class that my teacher gave in and had us read a different book just after the first few chapters. I really like 1984 but BNW was just so boring to read.

Same thing with Great Gatsby, like I can read the summary and understand why it's a good book, but the writing style was just so boring that I couldn't get into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
They made me read Atlas shrugged. I hated every second of it. This came after the Bell jar so I already wanted to kill myself.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I really hated A Farewell to Arms but I can't remember why.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Space Jam posted:

wuthering heights

the most boring piece of crap ever in high school

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
i really enjoyed to kill a mockingbird and lord of the flies though

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Hot Karl Marx posted:

i really enjoyed to kill a mockingbird and lord of the flies though
those were both pretty good books. i also really liked The Road and it's probably one of the few books i read for school that i'd read again in my free time.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Sorry George Bernard Shaw, but I did not care for Arms and the Man.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
...poo poo i feel really weird for barely knowing any of these books. like i'm actually struggling to think of novels i had to read, most class reading was in those big old textbooks which actually tended to be pretty cool, all the stuff by ray bradbury and the monkey's paw and the most dangerous game were great. the only like, novels i remember reading were...catcher in the rye which i was okay with, 1984 which i could get into, and like...a mile in their moccasins or something, which I barely remember but it was probably stupid and bad. i was supposed to have read machiavelli's the prince but i didn't.

i feel like i missed out because i'm pretty sure a class one year actually had the Watchmen as their class reading, i remember seeing a big shelf full of copies but it was probably for a year after i left that school

e: oh right, to kill a mockingbird was one too. yeah i'll probably just go ahead and say catcher in the rye was the worst of the lot mostly because it didn't do much special and its title was dumb and not really relevant to anything.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

the giver was also a good introduction into real novels in junior high

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

here is what happens in "Beloved" by Toni Morrison

-a guy fists a cow
-fuckall else

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
...jesus christ a lot of these books sound super hosed up

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i read this in college so it doesn't count for this thread, but there was this book about a young chicana woman growing up in Chicago named Esperanza, and every other woman in the book either gets unexpectedly pregnant or constantly beaten up by her boyfriend. i don't remember the name of the book but it was a depressing slog (obviously), plus i read the version in Spanish

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Gyra_Solune posted:

...jesus christ a lot of these books sound super hosed up
art is pain.

i suppose drawing a picture of a man fisting a cow is more difficult than writing a few paragraphs about it.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Y-Hat posted:

i read this in college so it doesn't count for this thread, but there was this book about a young chicana woman growing up in Chicago named Esperanza, and every other woman in the book either gets unexpectedly pregnant or constantly beaten up by her boyfriend. i don't remember the name of the book but it was a depressing slog (obviously), plus i read the version in Spanish
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House_on_Mango_Street

"A series of vignettes narrated in the first person present tense"

the way i see it, maybe the book would be better received as a student if you do an overview/summary first and then dive into the rest of the material to get the true texture of it. being simply immersed into a book can feel like you're drinking an ocean

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Y-Hat posted:

here is what happens in "Beloved" by Toni Morrison

-a guy fists a cow
-fuckall else
doesn't the mom slash her kids' throats or something

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
A Streetcar Named Desire sucked

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Sestze posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House_on_Mango_Street

"A series of vignettes narrated in the first person present tense"
more like "a series of vignettes about one depressing-as-hell topic"

thanks for the assist

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

stella

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

STEEEEELLLLLLLAAAAAA

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Go Ask Alice

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
One thing i found sort of interesting were the stories in our books we didn't get assigned to read.

We had to read The Breathing Method, Shawshank and The Body from Different Seasons, but we didn't read the other one.

My guess is because we were a public school and Apt. Pupil was probably about some kid getting home-schooled or something...

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
Wuthering Heights was hateful, boring garbage.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Hirethor posted:

Wuthering Heights was hateful, boring garbage.

My biggest gripe is that the plot depends on characters missing the opportunity to talk to each other and that is some lazy as poo poo plot. Granted, maybe it was the first book to excrete that steaming turd but a rose by any other name still smells like cow pie.

Edit: Oh Heathcliff! Oh gently caress you, get railed.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 31, 2016

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!
Shakespeare, The Pearl, The Great Gatsby, I can't recall the others.
On the other hand I read some other commonly school-assigned books on my own time (100 Years of Solitude, Brave New World, Don Quixote) and enjoyed them - I guess I just hated being expected to pore over every. little. minute. detail. of the assigned stuff.

I'm surprised some people like 1984 more, to me Brave New World painted a more vivid and interesting dystopian future.
All I really remember about 1984 was the dude like, fuckin some chick? And vague descriptions of big brother television screens? Maybe I should revisit it.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Only Australian goons will know the pain of having to read at least one Tim Winton novel for every year of school. Local hack somehow owns the entire curriculum, so now your English Literature class skips over the classics in favour of Cloud Street, the lovely supermarket tier 'strayan-ified knock-off of 100 years of solitude. Year before that, lets check out Tim Winton's first novel that he wrote in college and which wasn't well received or read by anyone until it was added to the education department's list of recommended books. And for your earlier year levels, good thing he has a series of children's novels to undo whatever gains harry potter made in getting kids to enjoy reading. Motherfucker is using the department of education to run a very profitable racket, to the detriment of australian literacy standards.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

1984 is much more easy to imagine, basically.

Brave New World touches on futuristic themes with frightening prescience but does it through the lens of early 20th century pulp. Brilliant ideas, stupid names and embarrassing plot details.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Murphy Brownback posted:

I really hated A Farewell to Arms but I can't remember why.

I have quite a few books like this, where I remember hating them but nothing else. I distinctly remember being really angry at something called The Great Gilly Hopkins back in elementary school, but I remember nothing else about it besides that the main character's name was short for "Galadriel." Thanks for being really good at holding a grudge against some probably-unobjectionable kid lit, 12-year-old self!

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Book 10 of the wheel of time crossroads of twilight.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

middlemarch, loving kill me

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
walden. what a turd. henry david thoreau was probably the biggest bitch irl and sounded completely insufferable

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

field balm posted:

middlemarch, loving kill me

Yeah, that one was really boring

Quellar
Dec 21, 2007
quit staring at me
Catch 22. Just horrible. You can't try to be all serious after half the book is about a funny little merchant named Milo who sells cotton candy and other food.

Quellar fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jan 31, 2016

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

prob one about geography or something

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
romeo and juliet was boring but not really to a scorn-worthy level like wuthering heights
macbeth was actually kind of rad though

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
The Awakening by Kate Chopin.

Synopsis: uuuuuuuugggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
oh man i totally forgot about this other book, i think it was called "the power of one" or some poo poo. it was about a white kid growing up in south africa and i remember like every other page was talking about either little white dicks or big black dicks. it was really weird and i remember everyone in the class thinking it was awful.

i think some of the only high school books i remember liking were all quiet on the western front and the things they carried.

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style

the great deceiver posted:

oh man i totally forgot about this other book, i think it was called "the power of one" or some poo poo. it was about a white kid growing up in south africa and i remember like every other page was talking about either little white dicks or big black dicks. it was really weird and i remember everyone in the class thinking it was awful.

We had to read this; I actually still have the highlighted book on my bookshelf. I remember it being good, no recollection of dick talk though.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

Space Jam posted:

wuthering heights

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I remember in 4th grade they made us read Sarah plain and tall. And I immideatly decided no loving way am I gonna read this snooze fest.

Jokes on me because that basically describes half of my girlfriends as an adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
real talk though i never read a single assigned book in high school. teachers didnt know about sparknotes.com and other internet crib notes sources yet it was the poo poo. i went back and read some of the actually good and important novels later in life though so they kind of accomplished their goal.

we did have to annotate books for this one class which was a pain in the rear end but easy enough to fake

• Locked thread