Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I don't even remember what I read in high school. Anne Frank or whatever that one book was about some frank named lady that lived in england and was ugly and couldnt get a man to love her.

poo poo if I remember what it was called, was written by some boring english lady author.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010
Was totally going to say The Scarlet Letter, so instead I will say gently caress The Last of the Mohicans. At least I can still remember what The Scarlet Letter was about. Last of the Mohicans was just a big grey blur of boring and pointless.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

thathonkey posted:

real talk though i never read a single assigned book in high school. teachers didnt know about sparknotes.com and other internet crib notes sources yet it was the poo poo. i went back and read some of the actually good and important novels later in life though so they kind of accomplished their goal.

we did have to annotate books for this one class which was a pain in the rear end but easy enough to fake

before sparknotes there was cliffsnotes, they were the same thing just in paperback form. the teachers knew

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Lolita

Should be banned along with all anime

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Nuebot posted:

I don't remember the title, I think it had something to do with bees maybe? But basically it was about a little black girl who gets violently raped by her dad and impregnated and no one cared or believed her so she goes crazy because she's pregnant with her dad's baby. It was pretty awkward.

Did that really happen?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think the best one was For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Did that really happen?

I think it's the plot of that movie precious

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
real talk, The Fountainhead

It's like my high school WANTED us to be abhorrent little shits

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Lolita

Should be banned along with all anime

At least, you should probably not have to read it in high school.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Unsurprised to see the goon hate for Things Fall Apart, the sole book you had to read that was written by a black man

Also judging by some of your "high school" selections, many of you appear to have been in remedial English

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

walgreenslatino posted:

Unsurprised to see the goon hate for Things Fall Apart, the sole book you had to read that was written by a black man

Hey now, Cry the Beloved Country was also total garbage.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Blue Train posted:

before sparknotes there was cliffsnotes, they were the same thing just in paperback form. the teachers knew

well if they knew they didnt give a poo poo that i was using them to ace every test and paper about the books so all's well that ends well i say

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
I remember we had a mock trial about Scarlet letter in my class and I had been reading ahead/reading cliff notes and we weren't supposed to go past a certain point so when they put me on the stand I spoiled that lovely book for everyone. I was pretty :smug: about it, too.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

thathonkey posted:

well if they knew they didnt give a poo poo that i was using them to ace every test and paper about the books so all's well that ends well i say

Are you just now realizing that teachers don't give a poo poo if you read the book?

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer

satanic splash-back posted:

Are you just now realizing that teachers don't give a poo poo if you read the book?

Most teachers don't give a poo poo in general, homie.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Larry Parrish posted:

I used to hate Shakespeare in class but my senior English teacher had us watched Hamlet with Kenneth Branagh, and use the books which had the same copy of the script and footnotes to follow along and get over any old phrases you had trouble with. It seems retarded to me to read plays as literature, sort of like reading the screenplay of Citizen Kane and pretending its literature. What kind of idiot thinks a visual format like a play or movie is any good with just the written lines?

Then again I had an English teacher who insisted that reading transcripts of like, spoken word poetry was more 'pure' than listening to the poet say it.

Oh yeah a book I hated. Um, the one that's pretty much some guys fanfic about some dude who's the Real Actual Buddha, That Other Guy's a Faker. It's horrible. But I was allowed to write all my essays on why I thought the book and its morals were retarded so that's cool

I loved the Shakespeare books we read at school.
Before we even touched the books, we watched them being acted, which helped a poo poo load to understand them.
And when examining passages the video would be played so we could at least see and feel the meaning of it.
I heard other classes didn't get the same treatment, just plain reading of the books.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I really liked macbeth. The merchant of venice was okay, romeo and juliet is blah and i forget the last one I did. hamlet maybe?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Ben Smash posted:

Most teachers don't give a poo poo in general, homie.

agreed

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

walgreenslatino posted:

Also judging by some of your "high school" selections, many of you appear to have been in remedial English

You make a good point, but I'll add Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison to the list of crappy books. It's full of ridiculously obvious symbols, like a paint factory where every color has black in it as the base and this boxing match where a black dude in red, white and blue boxing shorts gets his rear end kicked by a white guy to the cheers of the crowd.

Oh, and this guy's piggy bank is this African design and it ends up getting smashed.

I liked Their Eyes Were Watching God though. She did her research into juke joints and authentic black American culture.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A Strange Aeon posted:

You make a good point, but I'll add Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison to the list of crappy books. It's full of ridiculously obvious symbols, like a paint factory where every color has black in it as the base and this boxing match where a black dude in red, white and blue boxing shorts gets his rear end kicked by a white guy to the cheers of the crowd.

Oh, and this guy's piggy bank is this African design and it ends up getting smashed.

I liked Their Eyes Were Watching God though. She did her research into juke joints and authentic black American culture.

I really liked Their Eyes Were Watching God. I remember in my english class we were discussing some passage and a student said,

"Well... I don't want to say 'erotic' but -"

And my teacher cuts her off,

"YES YES, You do want to say erotic! It was absolutely erotic!"

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

Airborne Viking posted:

I forget the title, but there was one about a girl in a third world country going through a civil war, and all the horrible poo poo that happened to her. Including her brother getting a more hearty meal than her, masturbating in the room next to her, and some sniper that she slept with that eventually shot her.

I vaguely remember this. Was it set in Laos or Cambodia or somewhere around there? I can't find anything about it on Google.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

satanic splash-back posted:

no but they tended to give a poo poo about blatant cheating. like if they could somehow prove i sourced answers from a cliff notes site im sure they would punish me for it or at least fail the assignment.

eldridge cleaver
Apr 11, 2015

by Lowtax
A Prayer for Owen Meany was the worst by a mile--worse than Ayn Rand, worse than any dated lit, just an unbearably terrible book.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Jane Austen - Emma. I recognize her talent for writing, character creation, language, etc., but that was such a tedious book about social interaction and faux upsets that I hated every page of it. All of the girls in class loved it because Emma's a spoiled bitch who thinks she knows everything, and teen girls identified with that. This was before I could google poo poo and had to actually read the book to know what was going on, and it sucked.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

if u listed anything by steinbeck u should probably take a long deep think on why youre such a big dumb fag baby

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Grapes of Wrath is really great.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Quellar posted:

Catch 22. Just horrible. You can't try to be all serious after half the book is about a funny little merchant named Milo who sells cotton candy and other food.
lol you loving child

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

anything dickens wrote :hurr:

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

To Kill A Mockingbird. I'd probably have liked it more if my teacher wasn't terrible.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

there are some extremely shameful opinions itt

omgmofohomolol
Apr 27, 2009

Tender Pervert,
Queerly Swampy.
Watership Down
gently caress that furry poo poo

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Blue Train posted:

there are some extremely shameful opinions itt

What do you expect when you are required to read a book and analyze it for a grade rather than read it and analyze it for enjoyment?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Macnult posted:

To Kill A Mockingbird. I'd probably have liked it more if my teacher wasn't terrible.

I read To Kill a Mockingbird in high school, and I remember being grateful that I'd already read it before, cause if that was my first time the teacher definitely would've made me hate it

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Hey now, Cry the Beloved Country was also total garbage.

Cry the Beloved Country was written by a white guy. It was also good. So you are double wrong.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Macnult posted:

What do you expect when you are required to read a book and analyze it for a grade rather than read it and analyze it for enjoyment?

I wasn't referring to you, I can understand that a poo poo teacher can make a good book/interesting subject bad

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

boom boom boom posted:

Grapes of Wrath is really great.

grapes and huck finn should be required in american english classes

anyway my vote is for ethan frome, i've never read it as an adult so i don't know if it's actually a good book or not but god drat are its themes and characters totally unrelatable to a teenager; come to think of it we read the old man and the sea in the same class and the teacher was a 60 year old man so

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

walgreenslatino posted:

Sorry the only book my school system could find written by a black man was about yams.

I liked the stuff we read by Zora Neale Hurston and Toni Morrison so I guess it's just misandry?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Sod and Stubble.

It was for history class.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
all of them OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Haier posted:

Jane Austen - Emma. I recognize her talent for writing, character creation, language, etc., but that was such a tedious book about social interaction and faux upsets that I hated every page of it. All of the girls in class loved it because Emma's a spoiled bitch who thinks she knows everything, and teen girls identified with that. This was before I could google poo poo and had to actually read the book to know what was going on, and it sucked.

In junior high we read one about a meek rich prude girl who becomes a hardened sailor during a trip home from England and leaves her lovely family to sail the seas with a bunch of foul mouthed men. It was called "The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle" and it owned.

Profondo Rosso posted:

if u listed anything by steinbeck u should probably take a long deep think on why youre such a big dumb fag baby

The only Steinbeck work we had to do was The Pearl, also in junior high, and I thought it was pretty good.

A lot of people give Catcher in the Rye poo poo but my friends and I kind of liked it. Thinking back on it now though makes me realize it was probably because we identified with the depressed awkward neurotic male teenager that was the protagonist.

• Locked thread