Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Hi my name is Doxylamine Succinate, I will be serving you tonight

The hell is Sven Co-op?
I'm surprised you don't know what Sven Co-op is. Actually no I'm not.

Sven Co-op (or SC for short) started off as a simple mod for Half-Life on January 1999. It kept growing in popularity and actually spawned off at least one clone of the mod, which I was briefly involved with out of curiosity.
Today the mod is now standalone and available for free on Steam as v5.0. You don't need any of the original Half-Life games to play through their campaigns anymore. Although they're going to be a bit changed up to work with co-op mechanics.
Strangely enough, it seems that the oldest version of SC (v0.8 Beta) is available for download. You know, in case you want to download a super old version of the mod.

Why the hell would you LP this?
Well, SC is one of my favorite mods, and I got really excited that it became standalone on steam. I started playing SC around 2002 and I used to beta test some of the earlier versions as well. I played a lot of SC back in the day, until I started to have 'adult' responsibilities (like taxes and having a job), then I kind of forgot about it behind other things.

So how is this going to work?
I'm going to be dragging my friends along some lovely, cobbled together, clusterfuck of a coop campaign. Sessions are recorded as days, and sessions are being split up into episodes.
We may or may not go through the other campaigns as they are available for coop.

Spoilers?
Use your best judgement. Don't be a dick, or not. I'm not a cop, one of us is but its not me.

Day 1 - Half-Life
Episode 1: Subjects Terminated - Unable to perform basic physical activities. - Side B
Episode 2: Subjects Terminated - Extreme radiation detected in subjects. - Side B
Episode 3: Subjects Active - Lightly fried, currently on tram system. - Side B
Episode 4: Subjects Active - Satellite launch detected. - Side B
Episode 5: Subjects Terminated - Liquefaction of internal organs. - Side B
Episode 6: Subjects Terminated - Intercepted by HECU. - Side B

Day 2 - Half Life
Episode 1: Subjects Terminated - Extreme anaphylactic shock. - Side B
Episode 2: Subjects Terminated - Intercepted by an M1A1 Abrams. - Side B
Episode 3: Subjects Terminated - Failure to configure Xen portal. - Side B
Episode 4: Subjects Terminated - Improper usage of long jump modules. - Side B
Episode 5: Subjects Terminated - Cloning facility was not up to OSHA standards. - Side B
Episode 6: Subjects Unknown - Exit interview. - Side B

Day 3 - Opposing Force
Episode 1: Subjects Active - Stuck in an elevator. - Side B / unused post fix
Episode 2: Subjects Active - Slurping their way through the ventilation system. - Side B
Episode 3: Subjects Active - Escaped through a box factory? - Side B

Additional Info
You can download a ton of custom maps for Sven Coop at this handy site - http://scmapdb.com/
If you would like to join us in any future LP's of Sven Coop, please send your resume to careers@buttchugs.vodka.
You can also now forward any complaints to complaints@buttchugs.vodka in case something is broken or offends you.

MaNiAk fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Enemies:
For the most part, all the enemies are exactly the same in every version of HL. I'd probably fill two pages worth of info on them but I'm not going to.

Alien Slave (Vortigaunt)

• Class: Alien monster
  • Threat: Medium
  • Weapons: Electric charge
  • Special abilities: Can revive other alien slaves
  • Role: Attack
Tip: The electric charge can't be stopped once it starts charging. Hide behind something to prevent the charge hitting you.
Note: Alien slaves can use their electric charge to revive other slaves, however revived slaves will have 50% of their health upon revival.

Basically the only change to vortigaunts is the ability to revive each other. Changing the strategy to quickly taking them all out at once or gibbing them.

Alien Grunt

• Class: Alien military
    Threat: High
    Weapons: Hornet gun; swipe; snark nest grenade
    Special abilities: None
    Role: Attack
Tip: The armour of an alien grunt has high resistance to bullets. Aim for exposed body parts.
Note: When a player gets killed by an alien grunt it will devour their dead body to regain all its health, but only if no other threats are around.
Warning: Alien grunts can throw Snark nests at enemies, which burst upon contact with some very angry Snarks.

The update to these guys actually caught me surprise. It confused me for a while on where all those snarks were coming from.

Weapons:
I'm going to put a list of weapons we acquire through our campaign. Most of the info will be available on the Sven Co-op manual. I'll be placing the weapons the order we pick them up.

Crowbar

• Primary fire: Beat
  • Secondary fire: Toggle electricity on/off (donors only)
  • Tertiary fire: Throw crowbar
The half-life crowbar has been improved in Sven Co-op. Donors gain the special feature to add electric damage to their crowbar. The electric crowbar is powered through your HEV armor battery and will drain power from that source every time you successfully hit a player, ally, or enemy.

The iconic HL crowbar, nothing about this has changed. Unless you threw some cash at the SC team, then you can turn into a glowing blue target that smacks a little harder.

Medkit

• Primary fire: Heal
  • Secondary fire: Revive
  • Ammo: Health points (self-generating)
The medkit is designed to help keep your team mates alive through the worst that can be thrown at them. Simply move close to a player that needs healing, and "fire" the medkit at them to instantly heal 10 health points. The medkit will be emptied quickly if lots of people need healing, but it will slowly recharge itself. You can also refill it quickly using wall-mounted health chargers once your own health is full.
To revive a dead player or friendly NPC, your medkit will need to have at least 50 health points stored. Get close to the other player or NPC and use the secondary fire to revive them.

Basically the bread and butter of SC, greatly focusing more cooperative gameplay. I believe this was introduced in 3.0 of SC, when they started adding more features to the mod. If I'm wrong on this I'll update this info.

9MM Pistol (Beretta M9)

• Primary fire: Single shot
  • Secondary fire: Rapid fire
  • Ammo: 9mm
The 9 mm pistol is the most accurate when firing single shots. Rapid fire is faster, but also very inaccurate only useful for very close enemies.

Originally a Glock 17, the HD pack released with Blue Shift changed it into a Beretta M9, in SC the model stays as the M9 in both normal and classic mode. Early HL footage had detachable suppressors, which were cut in the final version.

(Mk.II) Grenades

• Primary fire: Throw a grenade
  • Secondary fire: Throw a banana bomb
Simple hand grenades with a 4 second fuse. The fuse starts as soon as you press down on primary fire.
If you hold primary fire, the fuse will remain active in your hand. This is handy for throwing shorter fuse grenades at enemies that traditionally avoid them.

Banana bombs are a neat gimmick, if you've played worms then you know what these do. Secondary fire throws a cluster of banana shaped explosives, very situational. Other than that, they are still the same.

SPAS-12 Shotgun

• Secondary fire: Automatic fire
  • Ammo: Shells
The SPAS-12 shotgun offers very powerful blasts in single or automatic fire of 8 rounds. Automatic fire (gas operated) takes only a matter of seconds in to use all 8 shells, making it an extremely powerful weapon. It takes a little longer to reload, so make sure you have enough cover to do so. Automatic mode is also less accurate than single shots.

Classic mode of the gun shoots a single shell on primary fire and two shells on secondary with a slightly longer pump time. In SC the secondary fire treats it almost like a real SPAS-12 in semi-auto mode.

MP5A3 (A5) Submachine Gun

• Primary fire: Automatic fire
  • Secondary fire: Toggle zoom scope on/off
The MP5A3 (A5) is a light submachine gun, which holds 30 round clips magazines. It has a mounted scope for zooming and a relatively high rate of fire. That and the low reloading time makes it an effective assault weapon.

Originally HL was going to have an M4 instead of the MP5, but for whatever reason got switched. In the HD content pack it was changed back into an M4 with an M203.

.357 Magnum (Colt Python)

• Secondary fire: Toggle mini zoom scope on/off
  • Ammo: .50
The magnum provides 6 very powerful shots with decent accuracy, but suffers slow rate of fire, high recoil, slow reloading times.

That's not a fuckup, the reason why its listed as using .50 caliber ammo is because it shares its ammo pool with another weapon. It would make more sense to have the other weapon be chambered in .357 instead, but its not my mod so there you go.

Tripmine

• Primary fire: Plant mine
  • Secondary fire: None
Tripmines can be planted on floors, walls or ceilings. Within a second of its placement it will activate itself and emit a beam. As as soon someone or something touches the beam, the tripmine will explode.

Set it and forget it, then immediately back up into it. I always forget I have these things.

Satchel Charge

• Primary fire: Throw a satchel / detonate planted satchels
  • Secondary fire: Throw additional satchel
The Satchel Charge can be used to ambush enemies or plan multiple explosions. Throw it on the ground, step back and detonate it with a remote control.

They added physics to satchel charges so you can play soccer with them if you wanted to. You can also pick up your own charges in case you gently caress up, like we do.

Crossbow

• Ammo: Bolts
The crossbow is a long-range stealth weapon holding 5 bolts. It hardly makes noise and has a mounted scope for long range attacks.
While not using the zoom, bolts will explode when hitting something solid. Bolts never explode when the crossbow is zoomed, or if a bolt hits a target.
This weapon will also fire underwater, making it the best weapon to use against Ichthyosaur.

They changed the way the original crossbow works, originally the crossbow bolts didn't explode, but the multiplayer version does.

Snark

• Primary fire: Throw snark
  • Secondary fire: None, or is it? ;)
The extremely nippy snark can be gathered from its nest and used as a weapon. Release a snark and it will pursue the first unfriendly tasty thing it can find.
Snarks thrown by players will never attack other players or allies.

Snarks are probably like the Xen equivalent of cats, except after a while they just turn into soup by themselves. The mod adds the alternate fire mode to snarks.

M16 Assault Rifle with M203 Grenade Launcher

• Primary fire: 3-round burst fire
  • Secondary fire: Prepare/fire grenade
  • Ammo: 5.56 mm / assault rifle grenades
The M16 is the grunts' standard issue, not always with a grenade launcher.
The players' M16 will always have a grenade launcher. To use it, press secondary fire to insert a grenade into the barrel, then press secondary fire again when you're ready to launch it.
An M16 round consists of 30 5.56 mm rounds fired in 3-round bursts. 10 assault rifle grenades can be held, but only 1 inside the grenade launcher at a time.

The mod splits the normal HL SMG into two separate weapons, this is where the grenade launcher went to. It feels like the physics were also tweaked to be a shorter launch but I could be remembering this wrong. I mainly use this to turn enemies into soup rather than shooting them.

Gauss Gun

• Secondary fire: Highly charged shot
  • Ammo: Gauss battery module
The gauss gun is an experimental weapon fabricated in the Black Mesa Research Facility. Primary fire is an energy beam. You can charge up the weapon for a more powerful shot by holding secondary fire.
There is a very high knock back from maximum charged shots. Most maps will allow this knock back to allow the player to jump to much higher areas.

One of my favorite weapons, brings back memories of playing tons of instagib on Unreal Tournament. Overcharging can lead to yourself turning into soup.

Rocket Propelled Grenade Launcher

• Primary fire: Fire rocket
  • Secondary fire: Toggle laser guide on/off
  • Ammo: Rockets
The RPG is a good weapon for armoured targets like helicopters, tanks and Gargantuas.
Secondary fire will enable the laser guidance system to alter the course of the rocket in flight.

Probably one of the biggest cause of self inflicted accidental deaths. Also great at turning enemies into soup.

Hornet gun

• Primary fire: Single shot, homing
  • Secondary fire: Rapid fire, straight
  • Ammo: Hornets (self-generating)
Stripped from an alien grunt, the player can use this weapon to fire up to 100 live hornets. Primary fire will launch a homing hornet that will seek its target, whereas secondary fire will launch hornets in quick succession directly where the player is aiming.
Hornets are slowly reproduced, though 50% slower than before due to the higher hornet holding limit.

I don't like this weapon much, although it is useful for shooting at enemies around corners. The animation for when you first find this in Black Mesa is :stare:

Gluon gun

• Primary fire: Fire continuous beam
Just like the gauss, the gluon gun is an experimental weapon. Firing it will create a powerful beam, which can be used to quickly sweep an area.

I never knew the real name of the weapon for years. I always called it the proton pack. Fun fact, its entity name is weapon_egon.

Pipe wrench

• Primary fire: Club / repair
  • Secondary fire: Power swing
  • Ammo: None
The wrench is similar to the crowbar, but swings at a much slower rate. However, it does much more damage. Use the power swing to get especially heavy swings.
Tip: The longer you hold power swing before releasing, the more powerful the swing will be. There is a limit though.
Note: The pipe wrench can now repair your turrets, both sentry and mounted. It can also revive them.

Combat knife

• Primary fire: Slash
  • Secondary fire: Toggle electricity on/off (donors only)
  • Tertiary fire: Throw knife
The combat knife featured in Opposing Force acts as a direct replacement for the crowbar, and is officially available to other maps. It functions exactly the same as the crowbar, but has a higher attack rate due to its lower weight.
Tip: With the electricity on you also beat objects faster, but keep an eye on your HEV power.
Note: The new tertiary fire, where you throw your knife, is bound to MOUSE3 (middle button) by default. The command for this is +alt1

Desert Eagle

• Secondary fire: Toggle laser pointer on/off
The desert eagle is a powerful pistol, but rather inaccurate in single fire mode.
You can increase the accuracy considerably by enabling the barrel-mounted laser pointer at the cost of a slower fire rate.
The rate of fire and accuracy is better than the .357 magnum and offers 7 shots, however less powerful.

Uzis

• Secondary fire: Toggle between single/akimbo uzi
The uzi is a very fast submachine gun with a 32 round clip that does a lot of damage very quickly, however your ammo is used up very fast.
Doubled up you get twice the fire power, but twice the reload time.
Tip Akimbo uzis can only be acquired by special akimbo uzi items, or picking up someone elses uzi.
Note The gold uzis shown are only available to donors, and do considerably more damage than the standard grey ones. Donors can choose to use the grey ones, but still with the power level of the gold uzis.

Displacer Cannon

• Secondary fire: Self-teleportation
Primary fire shoots a portal out of the cannon, secondary fire generates a portal around the user. The portals generate an AOE so they are useful for taking out multiple enemies at once.

Spore Launcher

• Primary fire: Short shot
  • Secondary fire: Long shot
  • Ammo: Spores
A creature from race X that fires spores from its mouth also thrown by shock troopers. The spore creates a large acid splash on explosion.
The spores will bounce for a distance, then stop. They explode on player/NPC contact or after 4 seconds of being fired.
This artillery support weapon is best used in open spaces to avoid hurting yourself.
Info Spores can be picked up from a small plant that creates them, but be aware that the plants don't like harsh treatment.
Warning The acid splash creates a large amount of damage. Be sure to stay clear of spores when they explode.
Warning Bouncing spores could bounce right back and explode in your face.

Barnacle Grapple

• Primary fire: Launch tongue
  • Secondary fire: Toggle between pull/rappel mode
The Barnacle is used to help players reach areas that are too high to jump. It can only attach to players, certain monsters, and certain Xen surfaces (as shown on the right).
The way the Barnacle grapple works is defined by the map creator. On some maps, it will only attach to small monsters. On others, it will pull monsters to you instead of the other way around.
Unique to the Sven Co-op version of the Barnacle grapple, players can either be pulled by the grapple, or be dropped slowly (rappel), depending on what mode is chosen.
Finally, the Barnacle grapple can also be used to eat monsters similar to a regular Barnacle. The difference is the grapple is much smaller, thus takes much longer to kill an enemy. This bite is only effective against very small monsters, such as headcrabs.
Note You can grapple onto your fellow players allowing you to, for example, boost another player onto a ledge then grapple up to the ledge yourself. Alternately, if you were on a ledge above a deep cavern, you could grapple onto a player and rappel to the bottom. You could even use the barnacle to hold onto another player as he swings through a tricky grapple course.
Tip You can swap between Rappel and Pull modes while the barnacle is attached to a surface, this allows you to bungee.

M249 SAW

• Ammo: 5.56 mm
The M249 SAW (squad automatic weapon) is a powerful yet portable machine gun with a high firing rate and damage. It can be used to provide supporting fire for team mates. It has a belt of 200 5.56 mm rounds, but suffers high reload time.
Note The SAW has such a high recoil that it will knock the player backward while firing.

MaNiAk fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 10, 2016

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

MaNiAk posted:

Spoilers?
Use your best judgement. Don't be a dick, or not. I'm not a cop, one of us is but its not me.

it's me i'm the cop

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011

automaticswim posted:

it's me i'm the cop

With an avatar like that I can believe it. :cheeky:

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Good end for the first video

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012
Half-life as played in a cluseter gently caress lol

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Just a normal day at Black Mesa.

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Episode 2: Operator Optics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUHicyovQI0

At the moment I don't have a set schedule of when I'm going to release updates, but I shouldn't run out of footage for a while. If I do, I must have hosed up somewhere.
Also updated OP to include Side B footage of Episode 1 and Episode 2, which will add a second perspective of our sessions. Thanks Hornet!

New weapon collected:

MP5A35 Submachine Gun

The MP5A35 is a light submachine gun, which holds 30 round clips magazines. It has a mounted scope for zooming and a relatively high rate of fire. That and the low reloading time makes it an effective assault weapon.

Originally HL was going to have an M4 instead of the MP5, but for whatever reason got switched. In the HD content pack it was changed back into an M4 with an M203.

MaNiAk fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 2, 2016

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

MaNiAk posted:

MP5A3 Submachine Gun

That's an MP5A5, you can tell by the navy trigger group and 3-rd burst option on the fire selector. Also "assault weapon" isn't a real term.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

Lacedaemonius posted:

That's an MP5A5, you can tell by the navy trigger group and 3-rd burst option on the fire selector. Also "assault weapon" isn't a real term.

truth bombs gettin dropped itt

ps - jet fuel can't melt steel beams

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
M&Ms melt in your mouth, not on steel beams.

The regenerating kit is a great idea and is like the Missing Link of modern gaming regenerating health and old school item usage.

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Lacedaemonius posted:

:shrug: Sorry, basically all the info that I posted not in italics is straight from the manual.

I fixed it, just for you.

MaNiAk fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 1, 2016

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Lacedaemonius posted:

Go away.

So is the common theme for these videos going to be that the end of the episode is when you all die?

Hornet
Nov 13, 2007
Gamer
I don't know what Maniak did for his videos, but all of my "Side B" stuff ends either on a level change or a level restart when we all die.

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Spudd posted:

Go away.

So is the common theme for these videos going to be that the end of the episode is when you all die?

Heh.

Well the endings were completely unplanned. The source is cut up into roughly 30 minute segments and that's what I'm going to be using for the episodes. Basically what hornet said.

Edit: I hosed some poo poo up when adding Side B footage, its all fixed now.

MaNiAk fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Feb 1, 2016

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
1 minute in

"Don't forget to crouch"
SPLAT
"gently caress"

favorite part :gizz:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Spudd posted:

Go away.

The poor level design does tend to be rather deadly.

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Episode 3: It's all Sam's fault

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdryScsEBsk

Side B - Courtesy of Hornet

New weapons collected:

.357 Magnum (Colt Python)

• Secondary fire: Toggle mini zoom scope on/off
The magnum provides 6 very powerful shots with decent accuracy, but suffers slow rate of fire, high recoil, slow reloading times.

That's not a fuckup, the reason why its listed as using .50 caliber ammo is because it shares its ammo pool with another weapon. It would make more sense to have the other weapon be chambered in .357 instead, but its not my mod so there you go.

Tripmine

Tripmines can be planted on floors, walls or ceilings. Within a second of its placement it will activate itself and emit a beam. As as soon someone or something touches the beam, the tripmine will explode.

Set it and forget it, then immediately back up into it. I always forget I have these things.

MaNiAk fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 3, 2016

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

MaNiAk posted:

Tripmine

Can you still climb on these things in this mod? Because that seems like something that could be used to wonderful effect here.

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Fish Noise posted:

Can you still climb on these things in this mod? Because that seems like something that could be used to wonderful effect here.

Yes you can, its still hella sketchy because anything will set them off. And I wouldn't trust these guys to not gently caress it up.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

MaNiAk posted:

Yes you can, its still hella sketchy because anything will set them off. And I wouldn't trust these guys to not gently caress it up.

but it'd be an amazing gently caress up where we all blow up. i'm sure that happens several more times.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Great episode. Keep playing as the mushroom, please. It makes all the horrible things that happen to you even more hilarious.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

video games are art

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
This LP is a disaster. But like a good one.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

It is a thoroughly enjoyable romp

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Episode 4: gently caress the tram, I'm walking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBJlRezmi18

Side B - Courtesy of Hornet.

New weapon collected:

Satchel Charge

• Primary fire: Throw a satchel / detonate planted satchels
  • Secondary fire: Throw additional satchel
The Satchel Charge can be used to ambush enemies or plan multiple explosions. Throw it on the ground, step back and detonate it with a remote control.

They added physics to satchel charges so you can play soccer with them if you wanted to. You can also pick up your own charges in case you gently caress up, like we do.

MaNiAk fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 3, 2016

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
i am the captain now

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They get needlessly creative with explosives for this game. Was there an actual wall of explosives at the rocket launch site?

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Episode 5: The super black episode, hyper choochoo's and waste management

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rI0cKtp-ac

New weapon collected:

Crossbow

• Ammo: Bolts
The crossbow is a long-range stealth weapon holding 5 bolts. It hardly makes noise and has a mounted scope for long range attacks.
While not using the zoom, bolts will explode when hitting something solid. Bolts never explode when the crossbow is zoomed, or if a bolt hits a target.
This weapon will also fire underwater, making it the best weapon to use against Ichthyosaur.

They changed the way the original crossbow works, originally the crossbow bolts didn't explode, but the multiplayer version does.

Scalding Coffee posted:

They get needlessly creative with explosives for this game. Was there an actual wall of explosives at the rocket launch site?

Logically, it was probably the HECU stacking poo poo up to blow up the base. But it was probably level designers being level designers.
Hazardous Environment Combat Unit

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The end of that video was magical.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It was probably the same guy this entire game who placed all these trip mines just to gently caress with you. No living person would ever be in disposals, but he probably got lost in that maze and angrily placed a bunch of mines.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

PureRok posted:

The end of that video was magical.

I can't empty quote but this

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That is a dick design decision if the houndeyes really are blowing you up beneath the floor.

Hornet
Nov 13, 2007
Gamer

Scalding Coffee posted:

That is a dick design decision if the houndeyes really are blowing you up beneath the floor.

They did name the level "Questionable Ethics"

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Episode 6: Houndeyes, lasers, and blenders. Oh my.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC9xLvaF9CY

New weapons collected:

Snark

• Primary fire: Throw snark
  • Secondary fire: None, or is it? ;)
The extremely nippy snark can be gathered from its nest and used as a weapon. Release a snark and it will pursue the first unfriendly tasty thing it can find.
Snarks thrown by players will never attack other players or allies.

Snarks are probably like the Xen equivalent of cats, except after a while they just turn into soup by themselves. The mod adds the alternate fire mode to snarks.

M16 Assault Rifle with M203 Grenade Launcher

• Primary fire: 3-round burst fire
  • Secondary fire: Prepare/fire grenade
  • Ammo: 5.56 mm / assault rifle grenades
The M16 is the grunts' standard issue, not always with a grenade launcher.
The players' M16 will always have a grenade launcher. To use it, press secondary fire to insert a grenade into the barrel, then press secondary fire again when you're ready to launch it.
An M16 round consists of 30 5.56 mm rounds fired in 3-round bursts. 10 assault rifle grenades can be held, but only 1 inside the grenade launcher at a time.

The mod splits the normal HL SMG into two separate weapons, this is where the grenade launcher went to. It feels like the physics were also tweaked to be a shorter launch but I could be remembering this wrong. I mainly use this to turn enemies into soup rather than shooting them.

Gauss Gun

• Secondary fire: Highly charged shot
The gauss gun is an experimental weapon fabricated in the Black Mesa Research Facility. Primary fire is an energy beam. You can charge up the weapon for a more powerful shot by holding secondary fire.
There is a very high knock back from maximum charged shots. Most maps will allow this knock back to allow the player to jump to much higher areas.

One of my favorite weapons, brings back memories of playing tons of instagib on Unreal Tournament. Overcharging can lead to yourself turning into soup.

Rocket Propelled Grenade Launcher

• Primary fire: Fire rocket
  • Secondary fire: Toggle laser guide on/off
  • Ammo: Rockets
The RPG is a good weapon for armoured targets like helicopters, tanks and Gargantuas.
Secondary fire will enable the laser guidance system to alter the course of the rocket in flight.

Probably one of the biggest cause of self inflicted accidental deaths. Also great at turning enemies into soup.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think you almost at the worst level to play with a super group. Much as I hated how they abused explosives, some platform segments were also effective at being terrible.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
where's the rest of our stupid you shitlord

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

automaticswim posted:

where's the rest of our stupid you shitlord

Relax baby, I'm dealing with things.

Hornet
Nov 13, 2007
Gamer

MaNiAk posted:

Relax baby, I'm dealing with things.
Hey, Day 2 is way better than Day 1, I've got all my recordings uploaded. let's get that poo poo going!

Hornet fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Episode 7: BEES! HORNETS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh5A-VYqBiA

New weapon collected:

Hornet gun

• Primary fire: Single shot, homing
  • Secondary fire: Rapid fire, straight
  • Ammo: Hornets (self-generating)
Stripped from an alien grunt, the player can use this weapon to fire up to 100 live hornets. Primary fire will launch a homing hornet that will seek its target, whereas secondary fire will launch hornets in quick succession directly where the player is aiming.
Hornets are slowly reproduced, though 50% slower than before due to the higher hornet holding limit.

I don't like this weapon much, although it is useful for shooting at enemies around corners. The animation for when you first find this in Black Mesa is :stare:

• Locked thread