Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Probably because to anyone only just old enough to remember the Gulf War, if that, it's all fighter and drone launched guided missiles all the time now, and there's only three bomber types left in the entire fleet - none of which have gotten much of a run out in recent times.

Or, you know, most Americans are really bad at any history not spoon fed to them no later than 5 years ago by TV shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Flying Fortresses are still used loving plenty.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Stratofortress, the Flying Fortress was slowly retired across the 1940s and 1950s :mil101:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The Essendon Drones doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Essendon Wedding Crashers

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Essendon TIE Bombers

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

I would hate to think what Richmond were referred to in this context

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

thepokey posted:

Essendon TIE Bombers

Well they're sure as gently caress not the TIE Defenders this year.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I feel like this maybe deserves a spot in the OP?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Solemn Sloth posted:

That's going on the wall of many a rugby league nut errywhere

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Tbh I'd be scared of a Rugby League player in the bushes too.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
You can't see it because there's a bush in the way but there's actually a dog between his legs and that's what they are recoiling at

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

thepokey posted:

Also, when I was in America and talking sport and it came to what team I supported and I told them the Bombers, it really did get some awkward silences from them. I never even considered people wouldn't associate the word with WW2 planes dropping bombs (which Americans of all people should be behind). But the word to them immediately meant suicide bombers

The biggest school in my high school conference were the bombers and I've never heard anyone say anything about that.

But if Essendon wants to be more acceptable to Americans, they can always change their name to a racial slur for Aborigines or something like that. The Essendon Lebos.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 1, 2016

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
Did Cam Smith expect to see someone walking a dog?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Volkerball posted:

The biggest school in my high school conference were the bombers and I've never heard anyone say anything about that.

But if Essendon wants to be more acceptable to Americans, they can always change their name to a racial slur for Aborigines or something like that. The Essendon Lebos.

They were previously referred to colloquially as the blood stained niggers, if that helps?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Would also be a way to make their way back into the hearts of the average Australian.

Herald Sun Headline: Essendon undergo image change, now known as the Essendon Refugee Punchers
Average bloke: they're alright that Essedon mob, I had them totally pegged wrong.

Edit: also, yeah that's something that poo poo me for years is that so many people have trouble actually saying Essendon, lots of Ess-ed-din

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The first 'n' is silent, everyone knows this.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

When they were banging on about a missing letter to Doc Reid, the n must have been what they meant

e: also, looks like Jamar has joined up. What was he like in the last couple of years at Melbourne? Shocking I know I wasn't really following Melbourne too closely. I kind of hoped we would maybe have a go at getting Hale to go for one more year with us.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I just saw the term "Fourthorn" on Real Footy, and now I am incredibly sad.

Please anyone else. Please.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

thepokey posted:

When they were banging on about a missing letter to Doc Reid, the n must have been what they meant

e: also, looks like Jamar has joined up. What was he like in the last couple of years at Melbourne? Shocking I know I wasn't really following Melbourne too closely. I kind of hoped we would maybe have a go at getting Hale to go for one more year with us.

Jamar is a solid ruck still, I personally think we should have kept him on given Gawn's injury history, but maybe he said he didn't want to keep fit just to run around in the VFL for a year.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I believe I have heard an American sports reporter refer to Hawthorn as Hawkthorn. I am okay with this.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Memento posted:

I just saw the term "Fourthorn" on Real Footy, and now I am incredibly sad.

Please anyone else. Please.

Yeah, Fourthorn has been the term since the day after the 2015 GF.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the hawkthorn haws.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Losing Roughy for half a year feels like exactly the loving thing that would happen to Hawkthorn on their way to another premiership. I can just hear Bruce talking about it now as the gold and brown confetti spews into the air in September. We can't go through another whole year just for it to happen again.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the suns will finish 15th on the ladder and the hawks will win the flag, and i will continue my life having never seen the suns play finals footy or a team that isn't hawthorn win the premiership.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

thepokey posted:

Losing Roughy for half a year feels like exactly the loving thing that would happen to Hawkthorn on their way to another premiership. I can just hear Bruce talking about it now as the gold and brown confetti spews into the air in September. We can't go through another whole year just for it to happen again.

they're the john cena of afl, gotta overcome those odds

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Personally I think if the Bombers want to rebrand to something less offensive I recommend they become the Essendon Luke Hodges

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
We're talking about less offensive, not more.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Volkerball posted:

Yeah my team when I played footy at school was the Bellerive Bombers but I think being from a almost exclusively anglo-italian-yugoslav suburb probably helped the acceptability.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Essendon should rent out their name to sponsors like stadiums do. In this day and age it's totally socially acceptable and it will help them generate the cash needed to pay for all the lawsuits they will have to pay out.

The Essendon "Fresh food people" has a nice ring to it.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
The Betfair Bombers

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Periphery posted:

Essendon should rent out their name to sponsors like stadiums do. In this day and age it's totally socially acceptable and it will help them generate the cash needed to pay for all the lawsuits they will have to pay out.

The Essendon "Fresh food people" has a nice ring to it.

Swisse Family Essendon

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I will not be buying one of these guernseys, but I enjoy the fact that the five people who do will be wearing my name.
https://shop.carltonfc.com.au/member-guernsey/2016-member-guernsey

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the VB dons has a nice ring to it, although it would suggest the team is still putting horrible garbage in their players bodies.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Essendon't

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

gabensraum posted:

I will not be buying one of these guernseys, but I enjoy the fact that the five people who do will be wearing my name.

That is one pricey jumper

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

gabensraum posted:

You pay for the right to have your name on there don't you, not actually having 50k names on a guernsey.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Volkerball posted:

the VB dons has a nice ring to it, although it would suggest the team is still putting horrible garbage in their players bodies.

I'll loving cut you

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Also that dudes article is a blatant troll come on guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Solemn Sloth posted:

I wonder what he yelled at them to freak them out

"GRAND FINAL"
"PREMIERSHIP"
"FINANCIAL SOLVENCY"
"LARGE SUPPORTER BASE"
"SUSTAINED ON FIELD SUCCESS"

• Locked thread