Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Essendon & Port Adelaide have apparently both approached Ayce Cordy as a top up player. You'd think that Essendon will be prevented from getting him because they already have Dea who had been under contract with Williamstown which is where Cordy signed to.
Also Sam Grimley looks like he's playing for Essendon which is hilarious because he's really not a footballer at all and he has choked in the last two VFL grand finals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Though I can see exactly why it was done this way, I'm still dissapointed about the 'had to have been an AFL listed player in the last 2 years' rule. I really wanted to see some guy from the VFL break out and be the good news story of the year.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkUQTPgOjNA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iwaIjhFgBo

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I'm not really sure if I need to be marking Essendon down under my ratings, they finished about -26 scoreboard points below the league average which is already pretty bad (about the same as St Kilda and Gold Coast, with Carlton and Brisbane hanging out in the basement.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

The Deadly Hume posted:

I'm not really sure if I need to be marking Essendon down under my ratings, they finished about -26 scoreboard points below the league average which is already pretty bad (about the same as St Kilda and Gold Coast, with Carlton and Brisbane hanging out in the basement.

surely Melbourne has shown you that there can always be worse.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

surely Melbourne has shown you that there can always be worse.
Nah Melbourne picked up a bit last year. By the revolutionary advance of having a half-decent defence. Still bad at kicking goals, but maybe they'll progress on that this year.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Deadly Hume posted:

Nah Melbourne picked up a bit last year. By the revolutionary advance of having a half-decent defence. Still bad at kicking goals, but maybe they'll progress on that this year.

I was meaning more the second year of Neeld.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

I was meaning more the second year of Neeld.
GWS's first year worse, I think Sydney and Fitzroy in the early 90s were pretty bad but I'd have to look back at that.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Deadly Hume posted:

GWS's first year worse, I think Sydney and Fitzroy in the early 90s were pretty bad but I'd have to look back at that.

I meant I thought Melbourne had surely to god bottomed out with our pitiful first year under Neeld, but nope turns out we could still get worse!

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

:siren::flag::siren:

I'm not sure some of these people in our UF league are actually goons, there's no way to password the join process - Post your UF team names here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cdh1JyuNHc6F3Hu_bqw7Kkn4DtjWXNOqULfYip_8bPI/edit?usp=sharing

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
If The Replacements taught me anything it's to never bet against a patchwork team of has beens and never weres.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Diet Crack posted:

:siren::flag::siren:

I'm not sure some of these people in our UF league are actually goons, there's no way to password the join process - Post your UF team names here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cdh1JyuNHc6F3Hu_bqw7Kkn4DtjWXNOqULfYip_8bPI/edit?usp=sharing

When I was joining it, the goon league was listed on all the available leagues to join, possibly without restriction

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
You didn't put a password?! Criminy.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

hiddenmovement posted:

Though I can see exactly why it was done this way, I'm still dissapointed about the 'had to have been an AFL listed player in the last 2 years' rule. I really wanted to see some guy from the VFL break out and be the good news story of the year.

The kid who won The Recruit got delisted by Port. Do it, Bombers.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
wonder what james magner is up to, apparently he played for essendon last preseason as a top up player when they copped bans from preseason games?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

wonder what james magner is up to, apparently he played for essendon last preseason as a top up player when they copped bans from preseason games?

He built east link singlehanded so I'm guessing they're contracting him for the level crossing removal

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/FOXSportsNews/status/695032312841400323

edit:
https://twitter.com/AFL/status/695122819546353665?s=09

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 4, 2016

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Pretty much the result that I expected sadly but at least it means that Trent Cotchin isn't a brownlow medallist.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

hiddenmovement posted:

The other reason I'm pissed off about that rule is that I would have liked Essendon to go the other direction. They should have recruited 10 former superstars to their ranks. Who wouldn't pay money to see Wayne Carey, Matthew Lloyd, Tony Lockett, Shane Crawford, Mark Ricciuto, Gavin Wanganeen, Koutoufides, etc? Imagine them all running round the park for the same superstar team, getting their arses kicked week in week out. It would get lots of punters through the gates, Essaden could make a killin!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Wow I didn't know Goodes won it twice. I always thought he was a really good player, but not a top tier one. Of course, he was long past his prime by the time I got into the sport. That makes the criticism against him even dumber.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Volkerball posted:

Wow I didn't know Goodes won it twice. I always thought he was a really good player, but not a top tier one. Of course, he was long past his prime by the time I got into the sport. That makes the criticism against him even dumber.

A lot of the criticism towards him started around that time, actually. There were a bunch of people claiming he was an "umpire's pet" and then simultaneously claiming he was too dirty a player to win a medal designed for "best and fairest".

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
"Protected species" was the phrase I remember from back then, although I mainly associated that with him playing for Sydney and the way their players would always seem to have exceptional luck at the tribunal, ie Barry Hall punching Matt McGuire in 2005 against St Kilda in the finals

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Where is this Goodes to Essendon stuff? Haven't heard peep from it so I can only guess Big Footy rumours? Poor guy would cop it big time although can't deny it'd be kind of cool having him on side for a year. Hirdists would be in an absolute uproar until he had that first good game and then suddenly he's "our Goodesy" and they never would admit to having booed him even when he was at Sydney. Much like you couldn't find a liberal voter anywhere after the first budget announcement.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Forum Joe posted:

The other reason I'm pissed off about that rule is that I would have liked Essendon to go the other direction. They should have recruited 10 former superstars to their ranks. Who wouldn't pay money to see Wayne Carey, Matthew Lloyd, Tony Lockett, Shane Crawford, Mark Ricciuto, Gavin Wanganeen, Koutoufides, etc? Imagine them all running round the park for the same superstar team, getting their arses kicked week in week out. It would get lots of punters through the gates, Essaden could make a killin!

I remember suggesting this in jest awhile back but at the same time, gently caress it, season is a write off so why not? Only if they promise not to train over the summer and to play as if it were the 90s. Plugger would spend more weeks suspended than playing (specifically targeting the Hawthorn match as his personal grand final). Instead of feeling like I'm supporting someone's SuperCoach team this year I could feel like I was supporting an EJ's legends game team instead. Darren Jarman would be an absolute must. Also get Mark Orval away from his Angry Dad commitments to pull on the boots again and just stand around and call opposition players loving idiots. He can also target the Hawkthorn game, specifically Sam Mitchell. This could have been a great season.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

thepokey posted:

Where is this Goodes to Essendon stuff?

There wasn't any serious suggestion it was just funny that bad Essendon fans were vocal about not wanting him there.

CRIPPS HAS EXTENDED UNTIL 2019 gently caress YES

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Herald Sun reported that they asked and Goodes knocked it back, so yeah, big footy rumours or equivalent

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Testekill posted:

Pretty much the result that I expected sadly but at least it means that Trent Cotchin isn't a brownlow medallist.

I don't think that's been decided yet, they just need to start printing the 2016 record now.

Edit: yeah it says under the asterisk that nothing has been decided

vv :smug: vv

realbez fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 4, 2016

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Testekill posted:

What result? Read the bottom of the page, "We're publishing this now but the final status of this Brownlow hasn't been settled". edit: :argh:

snaeksikn posted:

"Protected species" was the phrase I remember

But enough about Luke Hodge.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Memento posted:

But enough about Luke Hodge.

Is that referring to his meal preferences?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Luke Hodge - IF I did it

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Cripps has signed on until the end of 2019.

Next four flags, friends.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
https://twitter.com/TitusOReily/status/695166113437495296

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

gabensraum posted:

Cripps has signed on until the end of 2019.

Next four flags, friends.

He will have finished his apprenticeship by that point in the "future players of Hawthorn academy" and be ripe to help Hawthorn reach that elusive 8-peat which they have never achieved in all their years

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

thepokey posted:

Where is this Goodes to Essendon stuff? Haven't heard peep from it so I can only guess Big Footy rumours? Poor guy would cop it big time although can't deny it'd be kind of cool having him on side for a year. Hirdists would be in an absolute uproar until he had that first good game and then suddenly he's "our Goodesy" and they never would admit to having booed him even when he was at Sydney. Much like you couldn't find a liberal voter anywhere after the first budget announcement.

I heard someone on Grandstand mention it a week or so ago, in a 'wouldn't it be cool if...' kind of way

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Octoflag, thank you.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I don't think you guys realise I'm serious.

Every year a team comes from the bottom four to win the premiership, and this year that will be Carlton FC (est. 1864).

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gabensraum posted:

I don't think you guys realise I'm serious.

Every year a team comes from the bottom four to win the premiership, and this year that will be Carlton FC (est. 1864).

Melbourne peaked too soon :negative:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

TG-Chrono posted:

CRIPPS HAS EXTENDED UNTIL 2019 gently caress YES

aww yisss
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2016-02-04/cripps-signs-new-deal?camefrom=EMCL_946154_37735993
Edit: Member scarf for the year. Not a fan of the 'holes' in the 'bound by blue' lettering. The other side and old logos are fine. No hat this year, just scarf.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Feb 4, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It really happened :vince:

Volkerball posted:

Also worth noting that he won the 1999 rising star as a ruck-rover, 2003 Brownlow as a ruckman, and the 2006 Brownlow as mostly a wingman, while kicking 468 career goals from the midfield and as a forward, which is 4th highest for Sydney and 65th highest in league history. Should have had a Norm Smith in 2012 too, he willed Sydney across the line almost on his own in that last quarter. He could do just about anything on the football field, far and away the best utility to ever play the game.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Feb 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Goodes also kicked six goals from centre half forward in the U/19s GF the year he got drafted and is named at centre half back in the indigenous team of the century. He could do anything. By any measure he's one of the best to ever play the game.

• Locked thread