Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Guess who's back in full pre-season training?

:chanpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I would hate to think what Richmond were referred to in this context

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

gabensraum posted:

I will not be buying one of these guernseys, but I enjoy the fact that the five people who do will be wearing my name.
https://shop.carltonfc.com.au/member-guernsey/2016-member-guernsey

That is one pricey jumper

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Diet Crack posted:

:siren::siren:Ultimate Footy comp is up, join the league: http://ultimate-footy2.theage.com.au/214153:siren:

Please add to OP kthx

Lithgow Shamrocks are in!

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Morabito is in full training, and has been working as a backman rather than midfield, which will hopefully mean less pressure on is knees. At 191cm and 93kg he could play on most sizes. I really hope he gets a few real seasons at AFL level in a row.

Shane Yarran and Michael Johnson are back training with the full group while Bennell is still working on his own program. I really want to see how Yarran goes at AFL level.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I'm glad the Vic clubs don't get access to any of WA, thats something that I know Freo people have been putting a lot of effort into, especially with Gerard Neesham setting up the Clontarf School a number of years ago in the North West of the state:

http://www.clontarf.org.au

Other than the world of good the academy does for indigenous communities, some good footballers have come out of it: Mark Williams, Dion Woods, Andrew Krakouer, Michael Johnson, Lewis Jetta, Chris Yarran and Patrick Ryder

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkUQTPgOjNA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iwaIjhFgBo

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Memento posted:

But enough about Luke Hodge.

Is that referring to his meal preferences?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

The gift that keeps giving:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...204-gmm8fb.html

Another year of bullshit.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Nutsngum posted:

Players are still banned, nothing is going to change until the appeal comes to a verdict. Stop worrying.

I have no problem with the players appealing, thats their choice, I just don't get to choose if the media want to relentlessly cover it like the brainless idiots most of them are.

Speaking of the media, I was listening to SEN yesterday afternoon and they had Robbo on talking about Jobe, and he truly sounded drunk, the hosts were really getting frustrated with him speaking so slowly.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I actually drafted a decent team last year, and having keeper teams makes the whole thing far more interesting.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Arguably the biggest game of football in the world this year, two commentators taking about the game in detail, not ten dickheads with awful "banter".

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

thepokey posted:

Are you referring to the AFL? Channel 9 Cricket? Big Bash? So many choices!

Jesus BT, Darce, Richo and Ling commentating this would be insane.

It's pretty much every Australian sport that's non ABC/SBS, and what makes it doubly annoying is that footy and cricket are not simple games, and some insightful commentary can be made.

The root of the problem being Australia is an old boys club, and the public accepting that the best insight comes from those who've played the game, which US sport has shown for decades isn't true.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

TG-Chrono posted:

gently caress yeah footy yeah

Good to see its not the poo's and wee's on the cover

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

realbez posted:

At the drive-in are back together!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrkV_NL9GaI

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

I wonder how many people invested in stadium Australia are liberal party donors.

All of them

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

The Deadly Hume posted:

What's going to happen to Subiaco Oval anyway? If I didn't know better it seems like they just want to sell the land to developers.

Also Subi residents are massive NIMBYs and get very pissy about the noise and all the mess with redeveloping, like what happened last redevelopment.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Apparently Gary Lyon is a bit of a pants man

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

cmndstab posted:

I'm pretty sure they'll set it up so this doesn't happen.

It will be not talked about again after the season starts

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

thepokey posted:

If we are so hard up for ruckmen I really hope we threw a bit of cash at Hale to go one more year. We are already going to be bad but with recruiting Dad's army, when they inevitably go down with injury we are absolutely stuffed.

I think you've really gotta let the Hale dream go, a retried triple premiership player that has gone on to coach the Freo ruck/mid-field on the other side of the country with some ex-team mates isn't coming back to Melbourne to get belted week-in week-out for a team he has no connection to.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Random player sighting: Saw two young Carlton players on the long-term carpark transfer bus this morning, Sam Kerridge and Daniel Gorringe, they were battling to get their car out of the turnstiles on the way out. I only knew who they were by being fully kit out in Carlton gear with their numbers on everything.

Thats my story.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Another NAB game this arvo/evening, Freo vs Tigs, I'm keen to see Sam Collins, Brady Grey and Connor Blakely have a run, and of course Cow Dude and his magnificent pony tail.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Shmoses posted:

If there's one thing I want to see less than Freo during footy season, it's Freo during pre-season

If anything I think we'd be better to watch pre-season, we might try out this whole ~*scoring*~ thing

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

snaeksikn posted:

lol the hayden ballantyne wing - is this mt barker?

It's Mandurah, Peel's home ground, hence the HB wing.

Tigers jumper is not great, the Richmond Crowd Controllers.

Lachie Weller is going to be a ripper player, and is a dream boat to boot :allears:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

tnimark posted:

Claws in, kitty.

Well, he's at least accurate.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I really can't see any coherent argument as to why we can't have women field umpires (which won't stop BF impotent rage).

Our current crop of male umpires would have never played or only played minimal amounts of the game at a junior level, most struggle to bounce the ball properly, and the only real physical requirement is that you can run and blow a whistle for two hours. Getting women involved means we can get umpires from 50% of the population that wasn't available previously, which has to result in better umpiring overall I would have thought.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Shmoses posted:

I also agree, although I'd stress that footy umpires maintain a level of fitness similar to Olympic athletes, so it's not just that they run a bit and blow a whistle.

Absolutely its more than just going for a jog with a whistle, but its not like umpires are expected to do anything a middle-distance runner of either gender couldn't do.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I'm personally glad the Footy Show is still going ahead this year so we can hear Sam Newman's nuanced opinion.

Along with him dressing up as a woman umpire and commenting on how he'd like to ping her for "holding the ball" :suicide:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Testekill posted:

Hopefully Sandilands gets let off on appeal, it was a seriously weak report

What the hell is he supposed to do when midgets try and ruck against him

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Fingers crossed its dead, the less platforms Newman and co have the better.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-coaches-association-promises-change-after-clarkson-award-snub-20160222-gn0omy.html

Hawthorn didn't win an award. This is unacceptable, therefore we must change the rules to allow Hawthorn to win next time. It's only fair.

So we should change the Brownlow to include finals too?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I agree, I don't see channel 9 just giving up on having a football based show on Thursday nights with the baked in audience they have. It will be some god awful "entertainment" show, rather than an actual show about football.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

And this will differ from The Footy Show how?

I haven't seen it in years, but as far as I remember it hasn't been about the football in ages, and had descended into matey matey blokey blokey 'banter' and self congratulation.

Thats my point, it'll just be some cheaper to produce re-hash of the same garbage they've been spewing for the last 15 years.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Aaaaand Sandilands has been rubbed out for the first week of the season :george:

First round is the Bullies at Colonial Stadium.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Top Scores:
ROSSDBOSS
LYONHRT
ILUVZAK

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

That is really not cool, I hope they really check him properly before letting him back into full contact training.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

snaeksikn posted:

well his opponent was noted Good Bloke alex silvagni

He's not smart enough to hide an incident from cameras, but you can understand why the Tigs asked Freo if something had happened they missed.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Seems like all the clubs are doing their own hashtags, #foreverfreo #gopies #weflyasone (crows) #boundbyblue #bemorebulldog, with the Eagles being the most factually incorrect #thewestisunited

I couldn't find the Demons Twitter account for some reason.

Also the crows alternate jumper has been released, it's awful
https://twitter.com/adelaide_fc/status/702800878219046912

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Memento posted:

@melbournefc

#myheartbeatstrue

Well now it comes up on my Twitter search, it wouldn't show on all the other search terms I used before

• Locked thread