Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-03/the-2016-free-agent-list?camefrom=EMCL_987573_38913773

Only big names on the list are at the end of their careers, Daniel Rich might get some interest.

Also, Jack Watts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

You're a lunatic if you think Hooker isn't the biggest name on that by a mile.

Well he's coming to Freo anyway

And that Melbourne/Freo game in '08 was when Wonaeamirri run amok wasn't it? I remember being a sad man that afternoon. Mark Harvey, what a coach.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

thepokey posted:

Hands off Hooker, you can have Mark Harvey back instead.

e: I don't really know much about Mark Harvey as a coach/person really, didn't pay too much attention to his tenure at Freo. But he always just seemed to strike me as an incredibly high strung person. Like, the sort of person where if you sneezed during a meeting he might just snap and fire you Vince McMahon style.

Here's a short excerpt from Pav's book about Harvey, not particularly positive:
http://m.smh.com.au/sport/pssst-mark-harvey-cops-hammering-in-matthew-pavlichs-book-20151007-gk3ezv.html

And a longer excerpt if you're interested:
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/29708513/matthew-pavlich-book-extract/

I only mention Hooker to Freo as there was some article last week about him possibly returning home and apparently Freo talking to his management. With Pav retiring at the end of the year we should have cap space for him.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

:siren: Ross Lyon tweeted :siren:
https://twitter.com/realrosslyon/status/705230805346316288

He signed on til the end of 2020.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Here's me think it was going to be a clip from an Asterix movie...

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2016-03-01/design-our-alternate-guernsey-

I feel like my design is in keeping with the spirit of hawthorn clash strips

I scroll past and think "that's not bad, they've definitely done worse in the past" and then realise it's an MS paint design done in 2 sec.

They should probably go with it.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

The AFL is adopting the 10 metre protected zone for marks in the regular season this year.

Good god, I really hope they police it with some brains or it's going to be loving awful

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Someone asked on the Titus O'Reilly podcast what small rule change would gently caress up footy the best. One suggestion was handball receives becoming a mark. I was thinking you can only take possession if part of your body is grounded.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Harley Bennell is getting his first run for the Purples on the weekend V the Cats at Subi. Keen to see how he goes and where he plays, I'm expecting changing off the half forward line in the middle with Fyfe/Mundy/Walters

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Well, I dunno, how about not being a high ranking official in a bikie gang.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Dusty's dad is white so he should get his visa back soon enough.

He's Maori, so who knows what the government would do with him. (Something not good I'm guessing).

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

We'll find out end of 2017, when Fyfe's current contract runs out and he has the option of being a free agent.

Well, he is already home...

As for footy podcasts, I still miss Mondayitis with Crackers Keenan, but I really enjoy Titus 'n' Paradise, and the new Will Anderson one is pretty good. Junk Time is starting to grate on me, like someone else said, their guest show are worth a listen though.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

Dunno if the Coodabeens have a podcast but they are easily the best footy program on the radio.

The ABC put up their full shows every week, kept me in touch with the footy world while living in the UK years ago.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

You could have Dermott, Matthews, C Brown, and Hodge all talking about "targets"

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Looks like there will be a women's match as a curtain raiser for the first Derby in round 3, Freo have announced their captain:

http://m.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2016-03-16/forth-to-captain-freo-

And this goes someway to explaining why Mayne might not be the most handsome man on the list:

http://m.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2016-03-17/maynes-message

Spedman fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 17, 2016

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Even train taggers are ready for the season to start:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

spamman posted:

I'm curious, what's with the Freo hype? Aren't they super old this year with no key forwards?

The strongest part of the team, the mid-field, got stronger with with addition of Bennell and Neale is continuing to improve, with Fyfe/Mundy/Hill. Sandi is still going strong with Clarke playing some good preseason game games. Bennell played a full WAFL game this weekend picking 23 touches, 4 tackles and 4 goals, his second game since being at Freo.

Down back Alex Pearce will step up to fill the hole McPharlin has left, and he was barely held together with sticky tape the last few seasons anyway. And we also got Sam Collins from the Hawks who looks like a good prospect.

The utility players that Lyon uses through the mid-field and half back/forward lines, Suban/De Boer/Mzungu/Mayne will get phased out with younger better skilled players drafted over the last few years, Weller/Blakely/Hughes/Smith etc.

And then up forward, Pav looked like he hasn't skipped a beat during preseason, Walters is ready to go and hopefully we'll have Ballentyne on the field for most of the season, the scoring dried up when he was out last year. The talk is having Fyfe and Bennell rotating through, Tabaner and Apeness need to really show something this year, and who knows what Yarren will do.

tldr: I think Freo are stronger than last year, but I've got purple tinted glasses.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

spamman posted:

I like Sam Collins and had completely forgotten Freo took him. He was decent at Box Hill last year although I'm not sure you'd want him playing many games in the AFL this year. Maybe next year.

I think he'll be similar to Alex Pearce from last year, no expectations on him but be very solid with what he's asked to do when he gets a run.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I had every intention of doing the draft, but then completely forgot when sorting out dinner. Go Shamrocks.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Shmoses posted:

I just can't see how you can possibly think this, you're weak in the key positions and it took a ridiculous Fyfe season for you to finish as high as you did

We finished top of the ladder while having a garbage second half of a season, I think our list is better this year. :shrug:

We played poorly when we lost a key part of our forward line structure in Ballentyne, and our backline in Michael Johnson, both of them being very important to setting up play, along with Fyfe hobbling through the back end of the season. You take out the best mid and arguably the most important back and forward of any team and they are going to struggle (unless they're Hawks).

Also not doing the excessive summer running might mean we actually have legs at the end of the season, rather than beating sides by halftime in the first 10 games.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Bugger

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/freman...321-gnn68i.html

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

http://m.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2016-03-23/richard-walley-is-new-number-one

Freo have a new #1 ticket holder, Richard Walley, an indigenous artist who among many other things designed our first indigenous round jumper.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Carlton looked infinitely better than they did last year, actually had a plan with some direction.

Richmond will want Deledio back in their side as soon as possible.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Hamish giving it to "Stevo" for his dumb comment that football players should be "better" than the general public.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

snaeksikn posted:

I think it's a little bit of a myth that the Eagles ran with one key defender last year, Schofield put on about 5kg to push 100kg (hes 196cm tall) and played deep key defender while McGovern played high.

It's not that uncommon to play a gorilla key defender with a mid sized CHB and one or two third tall utility players anyway.

Freo's big defender last year was an old man and occasionally a kid, with Johnson being the next sized (still less than 90kg) and then Ibbotson/Spurr/Sutcliffe/Sheridan being the next size mobile defenders. Even with Dawson (who pretty much missed last year) our defence was pretty small, but still only gave up the 2nd least amount of points against.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Freo's first half was complete poo, especially the first quarter, too many grubber kicks to count, hand balling behind the target, lovely decision making. The news of our demise might be true, ugh.

Alistair Clarkson is sitting in the bay to my right by himself furiously writing notes at half time.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

snaeksikn posted:

Freo will definitely claw this back if the game ran for another couple of days

Test Match footy, best footy.

We just look like a bunch of headless chooks out there, really disappointing.

But that mark was a ripper.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

If we don't hear from you we'll call the police and check the emergency rooms

Survived the Clarkson close encounter.

I think both teams would have been happy to call full time at the end of the 3rd, pure garbage footy from both sides. We really haven't played well at Etihad for a few years now.

Tabener didn't do him self any favours today.

But I thought, Weller, Clancy Pearce, Dawson and Neale played pretty well, the less said about the rest the better.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Testekill posted:

Wood's one yesterday was better

I saw both live and was also sitting near both, and Wood's was definitely better.

Negligent posted:

even losing the game, the Hawks shut Geelong's scoring down completely in Q3 :catstare:

I think this is important, when the Hawks turned it on they looked REALLY good.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I actually lol'ed, "one poo, two poos...."

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

aejix posted:

Have there been any pectoral tear injuries in afl? I'd never heard of one of those until the last couple of years in the NRL. Maybe a lisfranc injury is the corresponding injury in afl

Ballentyne missed a big chunk of last season with a pec tear

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/fremantles-hayden-ballantyne-out-for-home-and-away-season-with-pec-injury-20150720-gig7id.html

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Frogmanv2 posted:

Having Sandipants back in will give Freo a big lift imo.

There's a reason he won the club best and fairest (Doig medal) over Fyfe last year, he's super important to Freo.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Sandi, Johnson, Alex Pearce and Ed Langdon are in for Freo this week, really happy about that. Taberner, Z Clarke, Griffen and Mzungu got put out with the bins.

The good news being youngsters Weller and Langdon are now forcing De Boer and Mzungu out of the side.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Testekill posted:

Hopefully a young kid will force Barlow out soon. He looked very slow last week and his ball usage was horrendous although Mzungu wasn't much better.

There's no shortage of young mid-fielder utility types on the list, Blakley, Hughes etc, who are being trained just to do that. Also there's Bennell to come into the side, with the long odds dream of Morabito.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

thepokey posted:

I think Essendon supporters have been feeling that since Lloyd finished too. We got spoiled with the Lloyd-Lucas double act for ages and its been a revolving door of nothingness since. That said, this weekend is Daniher's 50th, I keep forgetting he has still only played that little amount of games so its still to hoping he can live up to at least a fraction of the hype. Freo supporters have been living in fear of that for years, and still are.

It's not something I like to think about, so many young guys have been tried up forward but they can never make a go of it. We've just been lucky that Pav has been so durable.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Doctor Cave posted:

It was so frustrating watching him get on a good lead to take the mark then have it bounce off his chest, again and again and again

One of my best friends used to play with Q at West Perth, said Q was a good guy but was actually dumber than he looks.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

hiddenmovement posted:

WHAT WAS THAT KICK OFF THE GROUND?

YOU HAVE TO ACTUALLY PUT EFFORT INTO IT NOT SHOO THE BALL AWAY LIKE AN OVERLY YAPPY DOG

That was rooool bad.

Richmond are lucky they didn't get Sydney in the first week.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Siren goes, crowd instinctively boos the terribleness of the first half

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Testekill posted:

Cotchin said he is gonna 'sort Treloar out' and he thought that people would actually treat it like a legit statement instead of the pointless bandstanding that it was.

I thought Cotchin didn't come of too well from that captains documentary last year, seemed like a nice guy that was doing what he thought he should be doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

hiddenmovement posted:

That last free was absolutely there under the new interpretation

Absolutely, you could see the players knew it

• Locked thread