Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

The Deadly Hume posted:

Dane Swan (though I felt Swan had a pretty mediocre season in 2015 and has to extract the digit for the Pies to do better)

For our international players, extracting the digit refers to pulling your finger out of your arse (or rear end, depending on your location).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

So the Cricket is finished and so is the Tennis which means one thing.

FOOTY SEASON.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Did Cam Smith expect to see someone walking a dog?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Shmoses posted:

Goodes also kicked six goals from centre half forward in the U/19s GF the year he got drafted and is named at centre half back in the indigenous team of the century. He could do anything. By any measure he's one of the best to ever play the game.

Of the players who have played multiple positions for extended periods of time in the game, I don't think there was every anyone better.

He is probably the best all over the ground footballer I can ever remember seeing in my time watching footy.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I looked at my leave balance and had to pick between taking the Superbowl off or Wrestlemania.
I picked Wrestlemania. Now I just have to find other people who want to drink and eat BBQ'd meat that day instead of going to work.

Sidenote - Wrestlemania party at my house!

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Will the podcast have a "Hume's Stat of the Week" segment?

What TISM song will you use as the intro?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Who is that muppet looking bloke on the right?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

mumbrella posted:

AFL Footy Show host Garry Lyon has stepped down from his roles with Nine to seek help for “ongoing mental health conditions”, it has been revealed.

Reports emerged yesterday Lyon, who has presented the show since 2006, had fallen out with close friend and co-host Bill Brownless and had yet to commit to presenting the new season of the popular Nine Network show.

According to a statement from Nine: “For several months The Footy Show and Footy Classified co-host has been suffering from a serious mental health condition and he will take time out from all media roles to recover. There is no set timeframe as to when he will return to television.”

“We are all supporting Garry and hope he will be back to good health very soon. Our priority is his wellbeing,” said Ian Paterson, managing director of Nine Melbourne.

“Garry has our full support. From here on, it’s a private and personal matter and we ask that be respected.”

The statement confirmed James Brayshaw will host the show on his own when it returns from next month, while Damian Barrett will fill in for Lyon on Footy Classified during his absence.

It is unclear whether Lyon will still appear on Southern Cross Austereo’s TripleM

The statement from Nine:

Garry Lyon will stand down from his various media duties while he seeks treatment for an ongoing mental health condition.

For several months The Footy Show and Footy Classified co-host has been suffering from a serious mental health condition and he will take time out from all media roles to recover. There is no set timeframe as to when he will return to television.

“We are all supporting Garry and hope he will be back to good health very soon. Our priority is his wellbeing,” said Ian Paterson, Managing Director Nine Melbourne.

“Garry has our full support. From here on, it’s a private and personal matter and we ask that be respected.”

The Footy Show will return next month. James Brayshaw will host the show solo until Garry is fit to return.

Damian Barrett will fill in for Garry on Footy Classified during his absence.

I actually really like Gary. He is probably the best analyst going around and whenever I've accidentally sent bits of the footy show he seems to be the one admonishing Sam Newman the most.

Hope he gets over this, for Triple M footy's ratings sake.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Quite a few years ago I met someone who had been a beneficiary from the Shane Warne foundation. She'd had cancer as a teen and the charity got a whole bunch of kids in the same circumstances and took them on a trip around the US.
This was someone I didn't know very well but i do know she recovered and talked glowingly about it.

I've always suspected that he started the foundation with the right intentions but, as can often happen, when dumb people have access to money everyone comes out of the woodwork to try and get a slice so he would have employed his brother on too much money and other people would have come to him with ideas to apparently raise money but really just to hob knob with celebs.

I reckon McGuire looks like the biggest arsehat here, he claims to be some hot shot business man but if the annual reports are that bad then he, as a board member, should have done more to right the ship. And his having a crack at the journos writing the story just goes to show how loving deluded he has become since his days as a journalist himself.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

What kind of subhuman animal gets to the MCG via Jolimont

My reserved seat is on the Northern side of the ground, so if I'm coming in from the city I'll often go to Jolimont cause it's a shorter walk.

Southside of the river is still the best side though.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Did the #standbyhird dorks pass the hat around?

Honestly, this loving guy oversees this poo poo, get a free year off to France, gets the boot and has his contract paid out and then some rich oval office pays for his legal bills too.

The Age posted:

Mystery benefactor paid off James Hird's $750,000 legal debt

A mystery benefactor has paid off a $750,000 debt owed by former Essendon coach James Hird to the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority, a court has heard.

Mr Hird, 43, had been ordered to pay ASADA's court costs after losing his fight to stop the investigation into the supplements saga, but the Supreme Court was told on Tuesday that the debt had been paid by another unnamed party.

The payout was revealed when Mr Hird, who is suing Chubb Insurance for refusing to pay his legal bills of almost $660,000 over his court battles surrounding the supplements saga, was giving evidence.

Questioned by barrister Jim Peters, QC, representing Chubb, Mr Hird agreed his ASADA debt had been paid by "somebody else". No details were given as to who had picked up the tab for Mr Hird.

In other evidence, Mr Hird, who told the court he was now self-employed, said the Bombers had warned him he would be sacked if he decided to appeal a Federal Court decision which had gone against him and the club.

He said that after the failed bid in the Federal Court to have the 2013 joint investigation by the AFL and ASADA into the Bombers' 2012 supplements program declared unlawful, he received legal advice urging him to appeal the decision.

But Mr Hird said his lawyers cautioned that any appeal would be more difficult if Essendon dropped out of the case.

So when the club decided not to take the matter further, he sat down with his lawyers to work out if he should go it alone.

Mr Hird told Justice Kim Hargrave he reviewed the situation "a lot of times" because Essendon was threatening to sack him if he did go ahead with the appeal.

In the end, he decided to pursue the appeal on legal advice and was told the proceedings would only cost about a third of the Federal Court trial's costs. His appeal to the Full Court of the Federal Court was unanimously dismissed in January 2015.

In Mr Hird's writ filed in the Supreme Court, his lawyers demanded Chubb Insurance pay his Federal Court trial costs of $572,691.25 and the Full Court appeal costs of $86,828.75.

Chubb has denied liability, saying Mr Hird was covered for legal costs for defending himself against an action but not for the costs of bringing an action against others.

Mr Hird's writ detailed how he was ordered by the AFL and ASADA to attend a meeting on April 16, 2013, over the joint investigation into the use of prohibited substances involving the Essendon Football Club (EFC).

The investigation included "an allegation that EFC athletes and support persons [including Hird] may have used prohibited substances and engaged in prohibited methods in breach of the World Anti-Doping Code and the AFL's Anti-Doping Code".

Mr Hird answered more than 1300 questions put to him mainly by ASADA as well as the AFL during the April 16 meeting.

Chubb agreed to pay for a lawyer to sit with Mr Hird during the interview.

ASADA then served show cause notices on 34 Essendon players on June 12, 2014, based on information from Mr Hird and the players.

Mr Hird applied to the Federal Court on June 30, 2014, seeking a declaration that the ASADA investigation had been unlawful.

Mr Hird's legal team subpoenaed documents from the AFL as part of his application, which meant he became legally obligated to pay the AFL's costs of compliance with the subpoena totalling $32,470.15.

The Federal Court dismissed Mr Hird's application on September 19, 2014, and ordered him to pay ASADA's costs.

Mr Hird appealed on October 10, 2014, but the appeal was dismissed by the Full Federal Court three months later and Mr Hird was again ordered to pay ASADA's costs. Essendon did not appeal the Federal Court's decision.

The civil trial continues

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Periphery posted:

Here's one last derail before the footy starts:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good smart TV on a budget of around $1500? It will mainly be used for movies, TV and footy so I don't care about input lag for games and am mainly after one with good picture quality. The only good review sites I can find are all US and for some reason the TV's we get here seem to be pretty different to the "same" models in the US (unless I'm stupid and don't know what I'm doing) so it's making it hard for me to pin down a quality option.

Unless you're after something huge, I reckon $1500 will find you a good TV up to about 46' or so.

I bought a new one about 18 months ago, I reckon it was only about $1200. A Samsung smart TV. I play PS4 on it and watch TV/Movies, nothing else really. It has wifi and an ethernet port for all the whizzbang apps and poo poo.

I suspect you might even be able to find some of last years models still about and get them cheap.

Just don't buy HiSense or TCL. Buy a brand known for good panels. Samsung, Sharp, LG etc.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

The Deadly Hume posted:

The "smart" part becomes obsolete pretty quickly

I think it's better now with the launch of Netflix and the like.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

thepokey posted:

Also, is chromecast much good? It's really only for apps isn't it? Can't stream Netflix from your PC?

Chromecast is basically just a device to go out and request info online.
With Netflix you tell it what you want to watch on your phone or laptop, cast it and then the Chromecast contacts Netflix and streams it. It doesn't go via the Phone to the Chromecast, just the request does.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I saw Matt Spanger having a coffee near my work last week. I looked at him, he looked at me and gave me this look that said "Don't recognise me please, please no photos, please"

I also saw Richmond rookie Mabior Chol on my train the other week. He got off at my stop and jumped in the sketchiest looking beat up Camry you've ever seen. He is very tall and very very very thin.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I went to South Melbourne Market this morning and while driving around Albert Park Lake I saw a huge group of cyclists in the same lycra outfits. When I got closer I realised it was about 50% of the Western Bulldogs playing list, on bikes, in Doggies coloured and logoed lycra.

They looked ridiculous. Especially Bob Murphy.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

thepokey posted:

Probably should have changed that to something like the TMNT arcade game where they're flying but as soon as GAJ's Leonardo gets killed the other players die immediately after.

Is that the same game as the one where you fall down a man hole and it says "DUHHHH WHO TURNED OUT THE LIGHTS?"

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I thought they worked out Vickery had sun-stroke?
That was what I read earlier in the week when I saw the footage.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Look up a BMR calculator and work from there.

It's really good to work out how many calories you need on days you do nothing vs days you do something.

Then be like me and drink stacks of IPA and wonder why you're 7kg overweight.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Essendon have managed to score 1 behind in the first half of the pre season game against the cats.

Geez Carlton must be shithouse.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/TitusOReily/status/706943284644421632

:drat:

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

The most interesting part of that statement is the reminder that some bloke named Don Pyke is now the coach of Adelaide.

Does anyone know what Don Pyke actually looks like.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Just came back from the game tonight, left at 3QT.
Someone on Port clearly got into Dusty about his old man because there was a decent scrap in front of the Richmond cheer squad. The umps got the ball out and restarted play. After the scrap finished Dusty jogged off and basically threw himself on the bench and really slumped.

He really had the body language of someone with a fair bit on his mind.

I know he is a bit of a shithead and the incident with the chopsticks hasn't helped his reputation but geez it's hard to not be a product of your environment growing up.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

The irony of the situation is that it's probably his treatment of his wife as his owned object that cost him his marriage in the first place.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I went to the Hawks/Roos game last night and there were 3 asian tourists sitting in front of us who spent the first half of the first quarter looking incredibly confused.

They spent the second half of the first quarter looking up the AFL page on wikipedia and pointing to things like the 50m line and the centre square etc.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

snaeksikn posted:

conca out for 10 weeks, yarran out for 6. the year is starting well for the tigers

Conca would have been 50/50 on getting a game in the 1s and Yarran was recruited to play in September.

I'm not too concerned.

NTRabbit posted:

40,000 is too big if Etihad isn't being demolished as well, Tigers just want their own ground

Richmond draws >50K against some interstate teams. We wouldn't play there.
We've already got top class facilities after the training area redevelopment a few years back. This actually doesn't benefit the club at all given they'd have to pack up and move out for a good 3 years while the ground is built.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Cotchin's captaincy reminds me of Sam Mitchell's.
He was the right guy for the job at the time but there are actually better leaders at the club (hurrr nice guy Luke Hodge).

I think Jack or Alex Rance would be better captains than Cotch.

Fake edit : I forgot about the GGG draft. I've done absolutely no research or pre-work at all. My team is going to be shite!

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

gently caress Essendon.

This.
I can't believe they sought costs after his legal action.

Also, why isn't the AFLPA backing him here? Is this exactly what they're there for?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I feel like the best time for the women's games would be during the split rounds.

You put em on the telly for people gagging for more footy and play them as curtain raisers for the night games.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I reckon the father son rule is probably the last thing tying professional footy to grass roots footy in a club sense.

Local footy is about the club. You grow up at the club your old man and his mates played for, you know the Mums, the other kids, the property bloke etc.

Having a rule that lets those kids play for the same team as their old man is the only way for something similar to exist at the professional level. I like that it's no longer a free hit for clubs who had players turn out buckets of great kids though.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Nutsngum posted:

.. for me to poop on!!

Speaking of Triumph, did anyone see his US election special on Hulu recently? Holy poo poo I hadn't laughed that hard for ages.

He did a couple of non-electon bits too.
The best being when he went to an ultra PC college and had the kids, who refuse to speak about people in terms like race or weight or sexual preference, see a crime be committed and then have to describe the assailant to a sketch artist.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

*cough*

For those unaware, I believe the AFL season begins later today.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I too am sitting in the MCC tonight.
They still run it like the old 6pm swill right?
Piss at the bar while you're getting another drink?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

How many upset wins do you think Essendon will get over the course of the year.
It's very tempting to put $5 on them each week because I suspect for most games their odds will be very long and it could result in a decent return at some point in the season.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

You dudes need to get access to pay tv games, this Roos/Crows game has been loving great.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

Goldstein has been massive this quarter

He is massive all the time, that's why he is in the ruck.
(sorry).

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Testekill posted:

Can you believe that Essendon aren't even going to have the biggest losing margin this week? That's as good as a win

COLLINGWOOD WILL BE ON THE BOTTOM OF THE LADDER
:dance:

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

The Deadly Hume posted:

EDIT: The dumb website is up to date with all the match results too.

Next week's scorelines look way off. I assume it's cause it's only the second round but they look mostly low vs the opponents.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Chairchucker posted:

Oh yeah, I was gonna ask, is there a way to do this using a computer and internet radio?

Yeah you can but it's a bit of a pain in the rear end to work out because the radio tends to be a tad earlier than the TV coverage. Although with internet radio that isn't always the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Hey AFL data nerds (Hi Hume).
Does anyone know where to get the data on the time of goals/behinds scored?

I can't find it anywhere.

• Locked thread