Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Colony debuts Thursday, January 14 at 10pm eastern on USA. The first episode was released online in advance on December 31.

quote:

From executive producers Carlton Cuse and Ryan Condal comes USA’s newest, highly-anticipated drama COLONY. Set in the very near future, COLONY centers on one family’s struggle to survive and bring liberty back to the people of an occupied Los Angeles. Josh Holloway stars as former FBI agent Will Bowman and Sarah Wayne Callies stars as his wife, Katie, in the series which takes place in a dangerous world of divided ideologies. While some choose to collaborate with the occupation and benefit from the new order, others rebel and suffer the consequences. After being separated from their son during the invasion, Will and Katie are willing to do whatever is necessary to be reunited with him. Thus, when the powerful Proxy Snyder offers Will a chance to get his son back if he will collaborate with the occupational government, Will and Katie find themselves faced with the toughest decision of their lives. They will have to go beyond whatever they thought possible, risking their lives and their relationship to protect their family.

Cast:

• Josh Holloway as Will Bowman
  • Sarah Wayne Callies as Katie Bowman
  • Peter Jacobson as Alan Snyder
  • Amanda Righetti as Madeline Kenner
  • Tory Kittles as Broussard

Media

quote:

(click to enlarge)

Official Trailer
'Policy of Truth' Trailer
'Resist or Die' TV Spot
Will and Katie TV Spot
New Series TV Spot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
My overall impression of this show after 3 episodes:

-There's going to be a big twist about what the aliens really look like
-It's going to be bullshit
-But that's ok because it's a pretty awesome show otherwise

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I only watched the pilot but wasn't there a shot of a poster? And the people mentioned they looked like raptors or something? The figure on that poster definitely didn't look human.

Troll theory: it's actually Half-Life 3, seeing as the humans lost the war in a few short hours.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I like the fact that there are child characters on the show, but so far, they're in the background and haven't ruined the show with their "child actor is awful and does incredibly stupid poo poo that angers everyone watching" tropes.

Please stay in the background, child characters. Pretty please.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

You wouldn't say that to a show that both had Holly Taylor and Kiernan Shipka, would you?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Sober posted:

You wouldn't say that to a show that both had Holly Taylor and Kiernan Shipka, would you?

No, but neither of them are cast members on this show. Hence, I beg the writers to not recreate the same problem so many other scifi TV shows have suffered from.

The kid who played Elizabeth Mitchell's son on V was the biggest culprit. A truly insidious character.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Even though I saw it coming, the central conflict between the two main character is really interesting and reminds me a bit of The Americans

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Great show, i'm all in.

The kids are smart enough.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That OP is sorely lacking in the Carl Weathers department.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
More Action Jackson!

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Pretty good so far. Love me some carl weathers.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gonz posted:

I like the fact that there are child characters on the show, but so far, they're in the background and haven't ruined the show with their "child actor is awful and does incredibly stupid poo poo that angers everyone watching" tropes.

Please stay in the background, child characters. Pretty please.

I'm looking at you, Terra Nova.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

I'm looking at you, Terra Nova.

drat you straight to hell for not only reminding me of Terra Nova, but those awful kids on Terra Nova. As far as i'm concerned, if V Kid is exhibit A for that trope, then those kids are exhibit B.

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
Well, since Cuse is also a producer on The Strain how can you not mention the kid from that among the top 2 terrible tv kids?!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

karrethuun posted:

Well, since Cuse is also a producer on The Strain how can you not mention the kid from that among the top 2 terrible tv kids?!

I hate that kid, too, but I feel like he's not long for the next season of The Strain. His idiocy will almost certainly get him killed, and then the show will be slightly less terrible. Of course, if i'm wrong, and if he survives beyond all rationale and logic, then gently caress that show. I don't think i'll be able to watch it anymore.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

That said, Peter Jacobson was perfect casting for "Smug Collaborator/Military Governor". I'm glad he's got another gig with this (and Ray Donovan) after House ended.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My main issue is that I binged the first 3 episodes, and now I want more. Give me more.

As I said in Couch Chat, this is far closer to the V reboot that I wanted. The original is probably my favourite pair of mini-series' ever (we don't talk about the actual series), and the reboot really didn't understand what made it work.

As always, I love the use of not so subtle colour work in the occupying forces design that screams 'they're like nazis!'. It never gets old.

They do have that thing where nobody brings up in dialogue any real meat and bones about what exactly happens, which can be a little frustrating. Just saying 'the arrival' each time has you begging for more info. It's obviously very purposely done though, and being dropped into the middle of a story is often an interesting place to start.

So far nothing is annoying me character or plot wise, it's a fun show and looking forward to what's next. I wonder if we'll get a flashback episode at some point showing life before the arrival, or if it'll just keep going forward. I think I'd prefer the latter personally.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I've missed the first however many there are episodes, where can I catch up? :canada:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I like the show so far, my only real problem is that we only see the story from one side, i was under the impression that it wouldn't just be about the evil occupiers vs. noble freedom fighters, but there is still plenty of time for that i guess.

Also both the occupiers and the resistance look like morons, when Josh Holloway's character can find out where the resistance is hiding using very basic detective skills after having the job for a day.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

Even though I saw it coming, the central conflict between the two main character is really interesting and reminds me a bit of The Americans

Yeah, it really works for me. They are both doing horrible, unpleasant things to protect their family, just going about it from different approaches.

The casting all around so far seems pretty great, so even if it gets a bit clunky story wise I am more than happy watching them go about doing things.

But yeah, this is basically Half-Life: LA, right down to the 7 Hours War analogue. That is OK in my book.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gonz posted:

I hate that kid, too, but I feel like he's not long for the next season of The Strain. His idiocy will almost certainly get him killed, and then the show will be slightly less terrible. Of course, if i'm wrong, and if he survives beyond all rationale and logic, then gently caress that show. I don't think i'll be able to watch it anymore.

If they keep mostly following the books the kid on The Strain has like one more season before he gets replaced due to a time skip.

For this show, I'm kind of worried about the introduction so early of a way out. That seems like a development which could kind of overshadow minor plot points.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I like Carlton Cuse, and that is a great cast

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I watched 10 minutes, then deleted the episode and timer off my DVR. Not my cup of tea.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
so you watched the first ten mins of the pilot.?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oasx posted:

Also both the occupiers and the resistance look like morons, when Josh Holloway's character can find out where the resistance is hiding using very basic detective skills after having the job for a day.

I think they're probably used to that department being filled with people who don't give a crap, because they're only there to do a job rather than be collaborators. Main dude needs to find Geronimo in order to get his son back, so he's the first active effort in finding these people. That's what I took from the scene where Carl Weathers told him he could slow the pace and deal with the bomber guy slowly, rather than just grab him like he did.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oasx posted:

Well, there is the whole thing about how they couldn't recruit actual active duty detectives because they killed them all when they first showed up. So before this their options were retired guy who doesn't actually want to do the job and amateurs with no real training.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's an OK show but somehow kinda dull despite the premise. I can't explain it entirely, I like it but it's just a bit meh for now. But good enough for first few episodes. They need to spice up the mythos a bit I think and make it a bit harder (or smarter) for the cop character and the resistance to cross paths.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

muscles like this? posted:

Well, there is the whole thing about how they couldn't recruit actual active duty detectives because they killed them all when they first showed up. So before this their options were retired guy who doesn't actually want to do the job and amateurs with no real training.

Is it explicit that they were all killed? I kinda figured that that's a fake out, and that in reality they were rounded up and conscripted into the occupying forces for other cities. That way none of the collaborator troops in a given city have ties or sympathies to the local population. All the redhats in the show have American accents though so maybe that's not true.

E: There are recruitment posters for the redhats in a bunch of scenes though so this is probably wrong.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DarkCrawler posted:

It's an OK show but somehow kinda dull despite the premise. I can't explain it entirely, I like it but it's just a bit meh for now. But good enough for first few episodes. They need to spice up the mythos a bit I think and make it a bit harder (or smarter) for the cop character and the resistance to cross paths.

It's just a boring back story, and they have done nothing to make it any more interesting. Was the entire country wiped out and the colony is like a people zoo? What happens outside the walls, is it regular old USA, or like a dystopia? Does NY, Miami, etc. also have a colony of their own? I can't even say I would care if these questions are answered, but it would at least be something hinting at a larger plan in place. I think I just want this show to be about the occupying force and the logistics behind building the wall, but it is about a family you could not even pay me to care about.

So far the only interesting thing I have been shown is that shelled out concrete structure in the pilot. Sorta curious about that. Oh yeah and that Nuke thing.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 5, 2016

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Redhat helmet cam footage. Interesting

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That was some loving brutal poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Twists!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Yeah ok this show is really good

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

That was definitely a really good episode. Things are starting to heat up.

My dark horse pick for geronimo is the petrelli brother.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

buddhanc posted:

That was definitely a really good episode. Things are starting to heat up.

My dark horse pick for geronimo is the petrelli brother.

Certainly a possibility. Although there's definitely going to be an infidelity subplot with him and Madeline.

Carl Weathers would be an interesting choice for Geronimo. Positions himself to be the lead investigator and then adopts a lazyass persona, and given the lack of other qualified agents is well-insulated from being punished for lack of results. Or maybe the blond agent, and her hostility toward Will is because she sees him as a real threat.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Geronimo will hopefully be someone we haven't been introduced to, yet.

Like, William Devane with a voice modulator.

Or John C. McGinley.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
CIA Lady is the obvious pick, just because she's the only person that actually posseses the necessary skillset.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Errr... buddy....

Did your dvr cut off?

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

ShakeZula posted:

Certainly a possibility. Although there's definitely going to be an infidelity subplot with him and Madeline.

Carl Weathers would be an interesting choice for Geronimo. Positions himself to be the lead investigator and then adopts a lazyass persona, and given the lack of other qualified agents is well-insulated from being punished for lack of results. Or maybe the blond agent, and her hostility toward Will is because she sees him as a real threat.

Makes sense. This could also apply the other way to a guy like Schneider too. Acts loyal and leads for the aliens on the ground but he's leading a revolution from his place in the green zone.

Or maybe geronimo isn't in the green zone and the cart in the pipe is just from a follower who passes word.

I'm not sure where the teachers live around town, but the teacher who gets the geronimo tape from will's son may be an out of the blue possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

When Phyllis was on the phone at the end she said something to the effect of "their perception of time makes them unpredictable" right? Or did I hallucinate that?

• Locked thread