Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Pretty much existing, refusing to do anything other than list the atrocities committed against the people and animals living in the Americas before the Europeans turned up en mass, assassinating democratically elected officials in a bid to get American friendly ones in their place overseas,

actually, this could go on for a while, so I'll just stick with "existing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

its not about the ones now, but rather the ones we will commit in the future :twisted:

PwNinat0r2000
Feb 3, 2008

by Lowtax
buhhh

PwNinat0r2000 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 5, 2016

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Either the whole injuns thing or GRIDS propaganda.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

thathonkey posted:

it's not a physical "great wall" but we have effectively built up border defenses and patrols to the point where it is.

we'll still probably build a big rear end physical wall too though trump '16

I can't wait to spend billions of dollars on eradicating a source of labour large sectors of our economy are critically dependent on

that's a much better use of resources than expanding our education system to meet the country's needs, or repairing our crumbling infrastructure

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

thathonkey posted:

yeah it has to be something we've done to japan. especially since the impetus for all of our decisions there were "eh it's totally ok to kill civilians now we've decided in modern warfare to explicitly target civilians in order to expedite the end of the war... PS: all their homes are made of literal paper lol need i say more ? ok go kill them all now"
counterpoint: if anybody in history was ever asking for it, it was those guys

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
All of them.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

I'm Crap posted:

1. it was not the civilians planning and carrying out these atrocities (unless you argue that those conscripted are responsible)
2. what the nazis did was worse

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

indirectly causing Japan to create anime

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Enabling fat privilege instead of publicly shaming them in the street is the USA's greatest crime against humanity.

Also rectal hydration I guess.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

thathonkey posted:

1. it was not the civilians planning and carrying out these atrocities (unless you argue that those conscripted are responsible)

1. an undeniable portion of the population of Japan were complicit in their government's crimes. the Japanese press didn't run serial stories like the "contest to kill one hundred people with a sword" because they were unpopular.
2. the germans may have hosed things up but at least they tried.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

1. an undeniable portion of the population of Japan were complicit in their government's crimes. the Japanese press didn't run serial stories like the "contest to kill one hundred people with a sword" because they were unpopular.

1. this is fair and true-ish enough statement but supporting your government's horrible acts is not tantamount to actually carrying out those acts. like they probably didn't deserve to be fire-bombed just for following agreeing with emperor. military is one thing but general populace i cant really lay much blame on.
2. they tried what? ethnic cleansing?

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine

thathonkey posted:

it's quite bad. in most parts of the country you could live your whole life and see less than a dozen native americans

im currently loving a navajo that was born and raised in the arizona reservation... it's depressing as gently caress whenever he talks about it because the living conditions out there suck for most of the people. they're still in the hard labor pioneer stages of "work to live" instead of "earning a living". dilapidated unhealthy houses that require pumping your own water and chopping your own wood for heat (in a desert with not enough water or wood), you're lucky if your car runs well enough to get you to the hospital (that's an hour away), farming is hard because the land is such poo poo...

but at least you get a loving mountain on your property!!!

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

thathonkey posted:

1. as that guy pointed out, the majority of japanese civilians were totally in favour of those atrocities. there are still enough apologists out there for all of that poo poo to this day, including many democratically elected officials
2. only in terms of numbers, also they received similar treatment and it was deserved in their case too

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I'm Crap posted:

counter counter point: the japanese were just doing the same colonial poo poo in asia that the europeans had been doing there for hundreds of years.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
Coin flip between the brutalization of Africans and the brutalization of Native Americans.

thathonkey posted:

probably nuking several hundred thousand japanese targets mostly civilian

LOL if this even makes your Top Ten.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Closing down most Luby's Cafeteria locations.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Hector Beerlioz posted:

What's your favorite atrocity committed by the United States of America, the greatest nation ever?

There are a lot of good ones to consider:
Trail of Tears
Japanese internment camps
Obamacare
Vietnam War
Andersonville Prison

The list goes on an on...Please give some explanation with your answers as everyone might not be familiar with your choice.

lol @ not having hiroshima + nagasaki in the OP.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
"The Trail or Tears" should have been called "The Trail of Pussies".

Invent guns you dummies!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blistex posted:

Invent guns you dummies!

the concept of gunpowder and metalworking was not beyond natives in 1839, what they failed to invent was Imperialism

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Blistex posted:

Invent guns you dummies!

Wouldn't work, Old Hickory already had several bullets in him and it didn't stop him.

He may have been a Terminator.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

thathonkey posted:

1. this is fair and true-ish enough statement but supporting your government's horrible acts is not tantamount to actually carrying out those acts. like they probably didn't deserve to be fire-bombed just for following agreeing with emperor. military is one thing but general populace i cant really lay much blame on.
2. they tried what? ethnic cleansing?

1. fair, I more or less agree.
2. yes.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Rutibex posted:

the concept of gunpowder and metalworking was not beyond natives in 1839, what they failed to invent was Imperialism

By 1839 it was waaaaaaay too late. I'm talking about meeting the Mayflower with a volley of lead. You don't let those Euros get a beach-head. The Natives should have constructed an Atlantic Wall to protect Fortress Longhouse America.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blistex posted:

By 1839 it was waaaaaaay too late. I'm talking about meeting the Mayflower with a volley of lead. You don't let those Euros get a beach-head. The Natives should have constructed an Atlantic Wall to protect Fortress Longhouse America.

if the native americans had the initiative of the Romans, they would have captured the Santa Maria and all tools/weapons, copied the design, then sailed back to Europe and conquered them instead

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Rutibex posted:

if the native americans had the initiative of the Romans, they would have captured the Santa Maria and all tools/weapons, copied the design, then sailed back to Europe and conquered them instead

the savages lacked the ingenuity of the white man tho and met the fate Jesus ordained for them

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
if you put the nukes in your list but not the firebombings you're probably retarded

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Rutibex posted:

counter counter point: the japanese were just doing the same colonial poo poo in asia that the europeans had been doing there for hundreds of years.
that's how they tried to justify it both at the time and afterwards, but in practice the japanese were way, way more insanely brutal and bloodthirsty than the europeans. they were able to rack up incredible amounts of dead asians that put the euros and americans to shame in just a few short years as a colonial power

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
the invasion of iraq sure was a good idea.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I'm Crap posted:

that's how they tried to justify it both at the time and afterwards, but in practice the japanese were way, way more insanely brutal and bloodthirsty than the europeans. they were able to rack up incredible amounts of dead asians that put the euros and americans to shame in just a few short years as a colonial power

it's just colonialism with asian values :japan:

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
The singer's Howard Stern interview is totally worth the listen.

https://youtu.be/cahs0_CthVI

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I'm Crap posted:

there are more asians tho its simple proportions

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

It's kind of obscure but I'm found of the Aleutian evacuation and internment where the US government stuck my tribe in camps to protect them from the Japanese attack on Alaska. They didn't have adequate food, shelter or medicine so we lost 23% of our population. My grandma had been adopted by a white family so her folks didn't have to evacuate and after surviving the camp her home wasn't ransacked unlike most of the other Aleut's.

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

Nanjing was so hosed up with Japanese rape gangs, who had orders to kill the women they raped to prevent unpleasant reminders, that the Chinese sent their girls to hide out at the Nazi embassy and the German Ambassador stayed up for three days straight trying to prevent Japanese troops from scaling the walls and abducting women to rape.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Nanjing was so hosed up with Japanese rape gangs, who had orders to kill the women they raped to prevent unpleasant reminders, that the Chinese sent their girls to hide out at the Nazi embassy and the German Ambassador stayed up for three days straight trying to prevent Japanese troops from scaling the walls and abducting women to rape.

wars are won on full stomachs and empty balls

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

Orkin Mang posted:

the name sloan

Aiden Braden Brayden Braeden Caidynn Jayden Haydynn :tizzy:

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
If they hadn't brutalized the Native Americans then we woulda never got the Iron Madden Run To The Hills video so that I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiTE4mLwda8

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...
Mambo No. 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK_LN3XEcnw

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

It's kind of obscure but I'm found of the Aleutian evacuation and internment where the US government stuck my tribe in camps to protect them from the Japanese attack on Alaska. They didn't have adequate food, shelter or medicine so we lost 23% of our population.
Aww :(

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

he's german

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

It's kind of obscure but I'm found of the Aleutian evacuation and internment where the US government stuck my tribe in camps to protect them from the Japanese attack on Alaska.

Didn't the US lose some troops when they retook the Aleutians? Despite there being no Japanese there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
9/11

• Locked thread