Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Shaquin posted:

You should have high standards for media you consume because your life will be pitifully short and it's probably best to fill that with things that are worth while and not the entertainment version of loving ring dings

True

Also post a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

You Are A Elf posted:

The Dark Knight was way too drat long, could have saved Harvey Dent/Two Face for a sequel instead of shoehorning him in with The Joker, and although Heath Ledger was alright in it, people emptied and shriveled up their e-balls ejaculating all over the Internet like his performance was the second, third, and fourth coming of Jesus Christ.

It was quite boring.

to appreciate the Nolan batman movies you only have to watch the preceding batman movies

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

MiracleWhale posted:

to appreciate the Nolan batman movies you only have to watch the preceding batman movies

Which I thoroughly enjoy :can:

Actually, only the first two. Batman Forever is pretty bad, and Batman and Robin is an abortion.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Jack Nicholson acting all huffy and puffy about not being asked to be Joker and then acting like a bitch after Ledger died having made Nicholson's performance look like dogshit was pretty infuriating

I told him! I told him the role was hard! :reject:

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
i didn't even want to go to see the second avengers movie but my friends talked me into it anyways because dinner and hanging out as well... i took a loving nap in the theater because i cared so loving little about anything on screen

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

fancy sauces posted:

you're right of course but was it actually critically acclaimed by any human being under 20, i mean all the YA book movies look and feel exactly the same, like they were designed with marketing first and then they worked backwards from there

84% on Rotten Tomatoes.

quote:

Critics Consensus: Thrilling and superbly acted, The Hunger Games captures the dramatic violence, raw emotion, and ambitious scope of its source novel.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Internaut! posted:

also if people didn't keep comparing it favourable to the disastrous prequels; it's the 4th best star wars movie by some distance

I call myself a lapsed Star Wars fan the way some people call themselves lapsed Catholics and I dug it. It really was thoroughly mediocre but it hit all the right notes when it mattered and I could not stop laughing at how thoroughly Abrams was ironically and unironically using those RLM videos as a playbook from the opening shot onwards.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
soup shitters IV wasnt as good as the prequels imo

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

dad gay. so what posted:

soup shitters IV wasnt as good as the prequels imo

Chili scene tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAtMlV5Rgwc

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Mad max

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Shaquin posted:

Sicario is a very tightly made film that is tensely visceral in almost every shot in the movie and supremely topical. The concepts and dynamics it's exposing aren't exactly new if you are at all informed about Mexico and the goings on within but it's still an excellent movie.

Dumb script for a dumb audience

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

people built that poo poo up so much and ran memes into the ground and the movie itself was meh. went too lomg and had a giant boring bit in the middle also the kid was a dumb addition i kept waiting for him to die but he never did

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Professor Shark posted:

Jack Nicholson acting all huffy and puffy about not being asked to be Joker and then acting like a bitch after Ledger died having made Nicholson's performance look like dogshit was pretty infuriating

I told him! I told him the role was hard! :reject:

He was talking about pills he earned him about pills

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Dark Knight Rises. It was just dumber than the previous two.

edit: Well it seems everyone else had problems with these too then. Though I liked the length of Dark Knight.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Interstellar could have a really good movie if they had cut out all the stuff that wasn't an homage to 2001.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

your mom's sex tape

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

just saw Sicario. kind of meh to be honest. not sure why you goons are nutting over that one. what acclaimed movies just didn't impress YOU recently?

star wars delivered.

fuuuuuuuuuuck you

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
i dont really have anything to add to this but i would love to see goons explain why sicario is dumb and bad, i dont think ive run into anyone who didnt like it so far and it would be nice to get a fresh perspective

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008
Jurassic World was just OK

The Dallas Buyers Club was poo poo awful Oscar bait "I can't believe my contraction of AIDS allow d me to lose my prejudice of my new transgender friend!!!! I used to be so bigoted! If only society could be so accepting!"

What a crock of poo poo

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Gate of Hell was overrated. I left disappointed.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
that movie on mars what's it called the astronaught or something was pretty gay if you ask me

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

88h88 posted:

Interstellar was a 3 hour borefest.

hey talking about global warming may offend some idiot so let's call it the blight earth is dying so lets invent a FTL drive and space travel because it's easier than working out how to deal with soil erosion and poor land management.

oh and since we hosed up so badly we're going to die let's get magic help in a so called hard science fiction movie from the positive thoughts of energy beings in the future and once we survive our people will live in giant tubes where we pretend to be in the glorious america of the 50s.

it was like ayn rand read schixmatrix and decided to edit it with a pen while drunk and l ron hubbard was visiting.

xutech fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 1, 2016

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

xutech posted:

hey talking about global warming may offend some idiot so let's call it the blight earth is dying so lets invent a FTL drive and space travel because it's easier than working out how to deal with soil erosion and poor land management.

oh and since we hosed up so badly we're going to die let's get magic help in a so called hard science fiction movie from the positive thoughts of energy beings in the future and once we survive our people will live in giant tubes where we pretend to be in the glorious america of the 50s.

it was like ayn rand read schixmatrix and decided to edit it with a pen while drunk and l ron hubbard was visiting.

Interstellar made me angry. Every single crop is dying from one single blight. Think about that for a second. Tomatoes, potatoes, wheat, corn, cotton--it's all dying. Um, no. That's why there are people who study agriculture--to prevent things like that.

The Martian had plot holes the size of Mars. Why is nothing tied down or secured? If he's a botanist, why isn't there already a greenhouse? Why doesn't he have all kinds of seeds to try in the Martian soil? Dumb.

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
i want to participate in this thread because i have a lot of OPINIONS ABOUT FILM but i don't want to read all your words so here we are.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Khazar-khum posted:

Interstellar made me angry. Every single crop is dying from one single blight. Think about that for a second. Tomatoes, potatoes, wheat, corn, cotton--it's all dying. Um, no. That's why there are people who study agriculture--to prevent things like that.

The Martian had plot holes the size of Mars. Why is nothing tied down or secured? If he's a botanist, why isn't there already a greenhouse? Why doesn't he have all kinds of seeds to try in the Martian soil? Dumb.

hmmmmm. youre making me see matthew mcconaughey in a whole new light.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Pitdragon posted:

i dont really have anything to add to this but i would love to see goons explain why sicario is dumb and bad, i dont think ive run into anyone who didnt like it so far and it would be nice to get a fresh perspective

the characters didn't have much depth. it emphasized violence but not really its impact on people. the police officer and his kid weren't developed much yet they seemed to be the movie's backbone I guess

oh and Benicio del Toro's character storming the house at the end and killing everyone felt unrealistic. I was expecting a movie along the lines of Traffic but it ended up more like Taken or a Vin Diesel flick or something

I was also annoyed by the tunnel scene how it kept needlessly switching from night vision, heat vision, and actual vision

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
who's naylin paylin was mediocre at best. they could do much better with the material i think

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

logical phalluses posted:

i want to participate in this thread because i have a lot of OPINIONS ABOUT FILM but i don't want to read all your words so here we are.

i don't even have a tv!!!! suck a dick, dumbshits pphhhhhbbbbbbbbttttt

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Kuato posted:

who's naylin paylin

it's me

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Shark make an opposite thread: underrated movies you loved.

Oh poo poo there is one now.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 1, 2016

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

soooooo jelly right now

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Khazar-khum posted:

One astronaut is explaining some astronautic poo poo to the others and the pilot of the ship goes "Ummmmm ENGLISH PLEASE." like he's a half-retarded valley girl and not a NASA trained loving astronaut.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Favorite recent-ish movies:

Her
Snowpiercer
I Saw the Devil
Edge of Tomorrow

Biggest letdowns:

The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
The Hobit (Trilogy)
Star Trek: Into Darkness
Iron Man 3
Pacific Rim

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Everything any of you liked, I thought it was mediocre at best, and some of it was just total garbage. Me and my bros yucked it up at the screenings and turned it into a good ole' MST3k riff fest

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

You Are A Elf posted:

The Dark Knight was way too drat long, could have saved Harvey Dent/Two Face for a sequel instead of shoehorning him in with The Joker, and although Heath Ledger was alright in it, people emptied and shriveled up their e-balls ejaculating all over the Internet like his performance was the second, third, and fourth coming of Jesus Christ.

It was quite boring.

Dark Knight was the best movie in years and everything in this post is wrong. Sorry.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I was so hyped for interstellar and it loving sucked.

Listening to this in particular while I waited for the movie to download had me twitchy like a ADD kid on crack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdComTp7KsA

Methanar fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 1, 2016

Go-Gurt For Dinner
Jul 8, 2013
The Dark Knight Rises. I spent the whole movie laughing at Tom Hardy's bo' selecta Marilyn Manson impression. What a poo poo pile.

Also Skyfall. Plot holes everywhere, ending on loving Home Alone. Can't believe all the rave reviews for this piece of poo poo.

2012 was not the best vintage.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
if you actually liked jurrassic world you should be put in a home for the mentally incompetent and then shot

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Hobbits

Gravity

Some of the newer super hero movies, but they are still way better than most older superhero/comic book movies so whatever.

Star Wars was enjoyable but too much of a rehash of the first movies.

That stupid kingsman movie that everyone loved for some reason. The church scene was cool, that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Mad Max: Fury Road. 100% style over substance.

The Martian. A book whose entire thing was "the details", and then make a movie where you completely do away with all the details.

• Locked thread