Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

WickedHate posted:

Squizzle is right. People hate on you constantly and I don't get it, man. You're cool, I like you too.

He's the lesser of two evils. I'm sure he appreciates you taking the heat off him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Isn't Lurdiak Canadian?

What are you afraid of, it's not like the book is about Native Americans.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Isn't Lurdiak Canadian?

First Incognations.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Grayson is a pretty fun comic book. I like the running joke about his butt.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aphrodite posted:

Isn't Lurdiak Canadian?

We have black people and racism here too.

Vincent posted:

Grayson is a pretty fun comic book. I like the running joke about his butt.

It's nice to see comics catch up to the fan jokes.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

WHAT

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

It's true, though moving to Canada from South Africa is a bit of a culture shock.

Also I was going to make a joke about reading Incognegro while listening to Turbonegro but I couldn't make it work.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Madkal posted:

It's true, though moving to Canada from South Africa is a bit of a culture shock.

Also I was going to make a joke about reading Incognegro while listening to Turbonegro but I couldn't make it work.

just sittin on the bus, reading Incognegro, listening to Turbonegro and wearing my Jean-Michel Basquiat "Irony of the Negro Policeman" print t-shirt

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Montreal has a lot of Haitian and ex-french-colony African immigrants, to the point that in the Quebec version of the Simpsons, Carl has an African accent implying that he's an immigrant.

That's not really a racism thing but I think it's kinda interesting anyway.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Alaois posted:

just sittin on the bus, reading Incognegro, listening to Turbonegro and wearing my Jean-Michel Basquiat "Irony of the Negro Policeman" print t-shirt

This is during your vacation in Montenegro, right? Where you carried that flask full of pre-mixed negroni?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So after talking praises of the mexican comic industry yesterday, I find that the oldest comic book store in the country (as in one of the few that import their product directly from Diamond) has decided to stop selling the local versions of the comics because is simply not profitable for them. But the reasons the owner gives for it, well, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. Here are they, translation is mine.

quote:

1. Cover price are, without exception too low. It seemingly they have so little confidence in their product that they're bent on selling them at the lower price possible in hopes of the reader will buy them and reduce returnings. That's not how comics work. If the story and the art aren't good, the comic won't sell no matter how low is the price. They shouldn't make everyone lose their time and money by publishing low quality comics even if the license is so cheap that is pretty much a steal. All the contrary, they should publish comics of good quality and highly demanded by the public, with a good MRSP so the profits can be shared among everyone involved in the distribution: Editorial-> Distribution->Stores->Collectors. That they don't see things this way is truly a shame because paper and printing quality on national comics generally are better than in the original editions.

2. They don't respect distribution channels. For all the mexican editorials, no exceptions, they sell directly to the public (and at discount!) without realizing that they're diminishing the market for their comics. Distributors will receive bigger returns and stores like us get distorted volume and demand, making impossible to reliably determinate the orders for the next issues. We aren't against editorials being part of local conventions, but if they do it, it should just for promotion and absolutely never to sell their product. An editorial will never have a constant presence with its readers like us comic stores have with our clients that come every week, every month to us. They should follow the example of american editorials like DC, Marvel, Dark Horse and Image that never sell directly to the public and every edition, even exclusive variants, they're always channeled through Diamond, the only comic distribuitor that exists.

Some clarification is in order. Saying that they're trying all kinds of comics with no real criteria is misleading, the criteria are simply popularity and demand. Take for example DC, the books they publish are GL, WW, Flash, Aquaman, JL and "digest" editions for Batman (that includes both Batman and Detective Comics) and Superman (usually Superman/Action Comics but lately they've put two Superman issues a once). From here there a few other books that are more or less fan demanded: Harley Quinn (Formerly Batman/Superman), Earth 2 (formerly JLA) and Batman Eternal (the only weekly book).

All the books took the start of the N52 as starting point and there's roughly ten months of dlay between the original publication of the books with the date we got them, we're just hitting Convergence this month. Quality of the comic aside, all of those books are DC's heavy hitters and the ones with the biggest fanbase around, making them kind of a safe bet for the publisher.

Now, when editorials go to conventions they carry most of their stock there and yeah, they sell them either at discount or offering incentives, like promotional items or the chance to get new books in advance before they get wide release.

I dunno, from my perspective as consummer the current direction of the market is fantastic and this guy is just butthurt about not being able to jack up the prices at his leisure as is the norm with the imported books but maybe he does have the reason.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Squizzle posted:

This is during your vacation in Montenegro, right? Where you carried that flask full of pre-mixed negroni?

the flask, of course, features the artwork of Johnny Negron.

Edit: Also, I heard that Fantagraphics released the complete Eternauta in english and I highly recommend it. It's one hell of a book.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah but nobody will notice you reading the book because there's a hockey game on.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Can you post some covers for your local editions? I saw some French DC digests a little while ago and they looked awesome.

\/ Yeah. I meant the bundled monthlies. The French N52 Batman one I saw had a really unique, clean trade dress with dope logo. I'll see if I can find it again when I'm home.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 3, 2016

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

Can you post some covers for your local editions? I saw some French DC digests a little while ago and they looked awesome.

Not Dark_Tzitzimine, but I can share some of my stuff:

Prices are pretty decent I think. Hardcovers from the big 2 are something like $16-18 USD (and both Marvel and DC are published by the same company). Softcovers are usually $6 or $7 USD, except for big ones like the Preacher books, those are $12 USD.
I don't collect floppies so I can't really comment on those.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Montreal has a lot of Haitian and ex-french-colony African immigrants, to the point that in the Quebec version of the Simpsons, Carl has an African accent implying that he's an immigrant.

That's not really a racism thing but I think it's kinda interesting anyway.

How did they handle Carl being an Icelander (albeit adopted)?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

hup posted:

How did they handle Carl being an Icelander (albeit adopted)?

I'd have to look that up, because I haven't watched a new Simpsons episode in like 8 years. I think the show might've abandoned the pretense of not being set in the US at some point.

The guy who voices Quebec Mr. Burns was my friend's teacher, he loves doing that voice in lectures.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

\/ Yeah. I meant the bundled monthlies. The French N52 Batman one I saw had a really unique, clean trade dress with dope logo. I'll see if I can find it again when I'm home.

Is nothing fancy I'm afraid, they're just pick the cover for the main title (Batman and Superman) with the cover for theother title being included in the inside

They did had a special set of variants during november though

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Now I just want to replay Grim Fandango.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Nice to see DC animation willing to go outside of their house style, even if I'm not sure this is the best fit for The Obsidian Age.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Mummies: The Most Versatile Characters

Mummies work in all genres.

Superhero:

Comedy:

Romance:

Science fiction:

Crime:

Military action:

Child's adventure:

Sword & planet:

Mystery:

Pulp noir:

Giant fetish:

Medical drama:

Man:

Things written in devanagari:

As you can see, there is no type of fiction that cannot be improved by adding one or more mummies.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 4, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Squizzle posted:

Science fiction:

Someone once described Star Trek as "serious sci fi" to me.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

To be fair to Star Trek, the people who made those comics literally never saw the show(which is why Spock is wearing red).

But to be fair to Gold Key, the Original Series was terrible.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I just don't know why people are afraid of admitting their favorite space show is pulp.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lurdiak posted:

That person has literally no idea what they are talking about.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The same reason bronies insist MLP is for "everyone". People are insecure.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

But to be fair to Gold Key, the Original Series was terrible.

Ghostlight posted:

That person has literally no idea what they are talking about.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Man lots of choice butts on those mummies. They should start making bandages with JUICY printed across the rear end.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

WickedHate posted:

To be fair to Star Trek, the people who made those comics literally never saw the show(which is why Spock is wearing red).
TOS has the gangster planet, a wild west episode, and Lincoln fighting Genghis Khan. You can watch the show and think that cover makes perfect sense.

It wouldn't be the first famous 1960s TV series to have space mummies either.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Travis343 posted:

Man lots of choice butts on those mummies. They should start making bandages with JUICY printed across the rear end.

Except, you know, mummy butts are the exact opposite of "JUICY"

Doctor Spaceman posted:

TOS has the gangster planet, a wild west episode, and Lincoln fighting Genghis Khan. You can watch the show and think that cover makes perfect sense.

It wouldn't be the first famous 1960s TV series to have space mummies either.

TOS didn't have a great budget so they had to continually visit planet backlot. Like one episode where the planet's set was just Mayberry shot from a different angle.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

By far the stupidest Star Trek episodes were the one where there's a planet that has its own united states constitution and US flag, and the one where a bunch of romans find jesus.

Oh and the one that's just the taming of the shrew.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

muscles like this? posted:

Except, you know, mummy butts are the exact opposite of "JUICY"

Right youd think theyd be all dried out but check out those covers. Several surprisingly well-preserved mummy butts.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Travis343 posted:

Right youd think theyd be all dried out but check out those covers. Several surprisingly well-preserved mummy butts.

It's true. You actually distinguish the greater Middle Kingdom mummification versus the declining art of the Late Kingdom by the quality of the badankhadankh.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's true. You actually distinguish the greater Middle Kingdom mummification versus the declining art of the Late Kingdom by the quality of the badankhadankh.

:vince:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Lurdiak posted:

I just don't know why people are afraid of admitting their favorite space show is pulp.

They don't read books. That kind of statement is usually a Star Trek vs Star Wars thing.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 4, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I think a lot of the draw of Star Trek (any incarnation) is that there is a pretty wide net of story types--you have your pulpy fun episodes (i.e., is Kirk punching somebody/somelizard?), you have your more serious episodes (hello, The Inner Light), and you also have episodes where the entire crew turns into giant spiders and salamanders. Sometimes the Enterprise blows up 10 times. Sometimes it's about Spock and his quest to reunite to empires who have been at odds for decades. To blanket statement it all as "serious sci-fi" is very dumb, as I don't think it ever tried to always be that in the first place.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's serious scifi in that it comes from that golden age where scifi stories were thinly veiled morality plays that used fantastical premises to do thought experiments about human nature.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Original recipe Trek is Twilight Zone with a steady cast of characters.

—an observation I stole from a friend

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Squizzle posted:

Original recipe Trek is Twilight Zone with a steady cast of characters.

—an observation I stole from a friend

Ehhh, I'd disagree with that, otherwise you're going to be lumping a lot of shows into the same observation. ST and TZ had morality play episodes but TZ focused far more on subverting expectations while ST did a lot more of the modern societal conflict but in space stuff. And I'd argue that this holds even more true when the most popular episodes from both series are put up against each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The twist was one of the TZ's stylistic signatures, but it was almost always in service of an episode's larger exploration of the shape of our humanity. Trek was all about that exploration, with some fun asides for like gangster world or a lady who turns into a cat, but saved time on character introductions by coming at you every week with the same Dr. Pathos, Mr. Logos, and Captain Ethos (+ supporting cast like Drunk Mechanic).

• Locked thread