Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I feel the main difference and what really makes them different shows is that ST was much more focused on societal concepts vs TZ's focus on individuals. Plus being able to kill off or abandon the characters results in very different types of stories. TZ (and Outer Limits) share a lot with the type of storytelling found in the EC comics line, while ST is definitely not.

Edit: having those established characters is part of what really changes things, as TZ rarely dealt with established group dynamics in the way ST did. It's like comparing Law & Order to Murder, She Wrote or Divorce Court.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
With Lucifer the TV show being a police procedural I started wondering what it would be like if other critically acclaimed comics made the jump onto network TV. This is what I have come up with so far.

Synopsis: In the near future, every male human and animal has been wiped out. At first the surviving female humans thought that this would lead to a new era in humankind, one of peace, understanding and compassion, but as society rebuilt itself it soon became clear that women were just as capable of committing crime as men. Detective Therese Fiona Fivel leads a special police department to solve some of the more heinous crimes. Aided by the mysterious Y, a person whose true identity has remained as much a mystery as her name, Fivel sets out to solve the mysteries and crimes of the new society. However, the biggest mystery comes with the reveal that Y is actually a man, with a deep knowledge of the criminal underbelly threatening to topple down civilization. With each solved crime, Y and Fivel move closer to the truth.
Coming this fall season Y: The Last man only on Fox.

Synopsis: When a strange man dressed in black approached the FBI offering to help the agency capture the most heinous serial killers known to man, many agents were skeptical. When the strange man told them of his plan of entering the dreams of serial killers to find out when they would strike next, many dismissed him as a lunatic. Many accept for Agent Nada, who is at first skeptical but soon begins to believe in the strange man's powers. As the cases are solved by Agent Nada and the strange man, now going by the name of Murphy, a new killer has risen and threatens to end the life of Murphy and Nada. Can they stop the killer known as "The Corinthian"
Coming this fall season The Sandman only on NBC

Synopsis: Hothead and hot tempered reporter John "Spider" Jerusalem has been out of the game for a while, but a story of political and police corruption has piqued his interest and brought him out of his hermetic lifestyle. Making a deal with the cool, determined Detective Channon Yarrow to help her solve crimes while she helps him do research for his book, the two unlikely partners solve crimes that reach deep into the underbelly of city they live in. They are a force to be reckoned with, but they may have met their match when they face their toughest challenge yet. Proving that the serial killer known as "The Smiler" is also the man running to be president of the United States.
Coming this summer Transmet, only on Fox.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I believe Gaiman said that there was a mess of a potential adaptation of Sandman in the 90s.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Madkal posted:

With Lucifer the TV show being a police procedural I started wondering what it would be like if other critically acclaimed comics made the jump onto network TV. This is what I have come up with so far.

Get ready for more disappointment. The Hellfire pitch is basically Police_Procedural.txt

quote:

It’ll take place in the 1960s and will center on a young Special Agent who discovers that a very powerful woman with unexplainable abilities is actually a part of a big secret society of millionaires that have conspiratorial plans of taking over the world! (Is it just me, or are there no secret societies that are solely into cooperative sports or crocheting?) The group is called the Hellfire Club, and its members are as dangerous as they are influential.

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/An-X-Men-Hellfire-TV-Series-Coming-Here-What-We-Know-92337.html

When I think of what I like about the Hellfire Club, I don't think about seeing a bunch of cool villains all try to run a school/secret society while trying to gently caress eachother over. I don't think about Emma Frost, Sebastian Shaw, or any of the other awesome characters. I don't think about the Hellions and the opportunity to see another group of mutant kids learn to use their powers.

I think of young Special Agent.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That female character described is clearly Emma though, even if they don't end up calling her that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Hellfire Club show has already been scrapped.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not officially, but yeah probably.

It depends though, Fox might put a lot into making it happen because it's not like they can go make any X-Men show they want.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

X-O posted:

The Hellfire Club show has already been scrapped.

Last I heard, it's still going on they just need new writers after theirs all left for 24. It's in bad health to be sure, but it's not officially scrapped yet.

Aphrodite posted:

That female character described is clearly Emma though, even if they don't end up calling her that.

True, but the pitch says she'd be the big bad of the series, and that our hero/the lead would be the cop investigating them. It'd still probably mean plenty of Emma but it'd still be at least half cop show.

E: Then again, with all new writers the new team would probably be free to pitch a not-abysmal idea.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

At least the half that's not cop show would be lingerie show.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Zachack posted:

I feel the main difference and what really makes them different shows is that ST was much more focused on societal concepts vs TZ's focus on individuals. Plus being able to kill off or abandon the characters results in very different types of stories. TZ (and Outer Limits) share a lot with the type of storytelling found in the EC comics line, while ST is definitely not.

Edit: having those established characters is part of what really changes things, as TZ rarely dealt with established group dynamics in the way ST did. It's like comparing Law & Order to Murder, She Wrote or Divorce Court.

I think the second paragraph there is true enough that the first paragraph doesn't matter, which is good because I think a bunch of the assumptions in it are inaccurate. (TZ was all the hell about social dynamics, probably more than it was about individual people. Trek killed off redshirts and guest characters by the truckload.)

achillesforever6 posted:

Meanwhile Jean looks blazed as gently caress

(From another thread.) Imagine what it'd be like if an untrained super-telepath got high as poo poo. Her brainwaves would probably give the entire county a contact high.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Squizzle posted:

I think the second paragraph there is true enough that the first paragraph doesn't matter, which is good because I think a bunch of the assumptions in it are inaccurate. (TZ was all the hell about social dynamics, probably more than it was about individual people. Trek killed off redshirts and guest characters by the truckload.)
Trek killed redshirts but they were complete fodder to the stories. They almost never mattered and were rarely characters, much in the way that non-L&O-core actors are basically there to get stabbed/raped/jailed. TZ characters tended to matter much more in the limited time the show spent on them, and while it would kill them, they weren't typically disposable nothings like in Trek, and if they were disposable it was to drive the primary focus of usually a single character.

TZ focused somewhat on social dynamics (although I think far more often did not particularly do so) but almost always from the perspective of an individual, while Trek would do so from a group or societal perspective. Outside of a few specific ensemble TZs the vast majority of its best episodes were very focused on a single character, and even some of the ensemble pieces like "The Masks" or "Eye of the Beholder" or "Third from the Sun" maintained a loose individual focus (in The Masks everyone besides the old man existed solely to be punished, Third mostly kept the camera on the lead).

Even a quick glance at how episodes are described on Wikipedia bears this out: TZ episodes are described as "A [thing/person] [plot]" while Trek is described with "The Enterprise..."

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

This reminded me that yesterday I saw an SVU episode open with Goldberg as an angry single dad rampaging through the precinct on PCP

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

hup posted:

This reminded me that yesterday I saw an SVU episode open with Goldberg as an angry single dad rampaging through the precinct on PCP

One of the highlights of the series.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

DrProsek posted:

Get ready for more disappointment. The Hellfire pitch is basically Police_Procedural.txt

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/An-X-Men-Hellfire-TV-Series-Coming-Here-What-We-Know-92337.html

When I think of what I like about the Hellfire Club, I don't think about seeing a bunch of cool villains all try to run a school/secret society while trying to gently caress eachother over. I don't think about Emma Frost, Sebastian Shaw, or any of the other awesome characters. I don't think about the Hellions and the opportunity to see another group of mutant kids learn to use their powers.

I think of young Special Agent.

That plot is literally what's happening on Agent Carter this season.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Anybody here read Conqueror of the Barren Earth? It's on old DC 4 issue mini. The first issue, it's the future, a spaceship is sent out to rediscover Earth. It gets attacked by aliens, gets blowed up, the single survivor is a short haired blonde lady who allies with a couple tribes and decides to unite the Earth against the aliens. It ends on a cliff hanger with her captured by this barbarian warlord. I read it, and was like, holy poo poo, this owns. Why did this not go anywhere? The really need to bring back Conqueror of the Barren Earth!

Second issue. The barbarian demands the blonde lady be his bride, she tries to kill him, so he makes her his slave. Makes her walk along the mounted tribe, makes her wear a sexy harem lady outfit, etc. ends with her proclaiming her love for him and begging to be his bride. Not even a wink to the audience or a "I need him to think he's broken me" thought bubble.

So I guess that's why nobody talks about it, no one read past the second issue

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

boom boom boom posted:

Anybody here read Conqueror of the Barren Earth? It's on old DC 4 issue mini. The first issue, it's the future, a spaceship is sent out to rediscover Earth. It gets attacked by aliens, gets blowed up, the single survivor is a short haired blonde lady who allies with a couple tribes and decides to unite the Earth against the aliens. It ends on a cliff hanger with her captured by this barbarian warlord. I read it, and was like, holy poo poo, this owns. Why did this not go anywhere? The really need to bring back Conqueror of the Barren Earth!

Second issue. The barbarian demands the blonde lady be his bride, she tries to kill him, so he makes her his slave. Makes her walk along the mounted tribe, makes her wear a sexy harem lady outfit, etc. ends with her proclaiming her love for him and begging to be his bride. Not even a wink to the audience or a "I need him to think he's broken me" thought bubble.

So I guess that's why nobody talks about it, no one read past the second issue

This actually started as a Warlord back up, and the Conqueror miniseries was the follow up. I read the whole thing a couple of years ago. I enjoyed the general science fantasy tone but yeah. Also the Conqueror in question was a yellow peril caricature, and I think the creators were trying to be somewhat progressive by having the mutant Genghis Khan/Attila the Hun guy with a fu manchu, horns and lime green skin who looked basically like an oni from a ukiyo-e painting ultimately the good guy instead of a villain. It... doesn't work.

Was trying to fix yellow peril poo poo by making a character's skin green some sort of trend? I remember the lovely 90s Iron Man cartoon trying this with the Mandarin too.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 6, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It was totally a thing - Defenders of the Earth also did it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
As did James Bond Jr.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

WickedHate posted:

As did James Bond Jr.

Aaaaaand now that theme song is stuck in my head all day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Squizzle posted:

Aaaaaand now that theme song is stuck in my head all day.

I just assumed that was running through your head 24/7.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stupid James Bond Jr, not being James Bond's son.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I saw that there was a new Badger series starting, and I was like, "pfft who the gently caress cares about the Badger?" But then I googled the Badger, and, uhhh

quote:

Badger was mostly set in Madison, Wisconsin, where Capital Comics was situated, and where Baron lived. The lead character was Norbert Sykes, a Vietnam war veteran suffering from multiple personality disorder. "The Badger", an urban vigilante who could talk to animals, was just one of his personalities. Bizarrely, he would often call people "Larry", and it was later revealed that "Larry" was the name of his father who left his mother when Norbert was five. His mother remarried Rollin Sykes who physically abused Norbert. After escaping from a mental institution, Norbert met a 5th-century Druid named Ham (Hammaglystwythkbrngxxaxolotl in full), who had just awakened from an 800-year coma (this was later corrected in dialogue where it was noted that Ham's coma lasted 1500 years). Ham took the Badger in as a boarder in his castle in return for the Badger's bodyguard services. Other characters included Norbert's caseworker Daisy, Vietnamese martial arts expert (and Norbert's wife) Mavis, and Lord Weterlackus, a demon who empowered Ham until they had a falling out. Prior to his coma, Ham would sacrifice children in his castle in Wales (Ham was placed in a mystical coma for 1500 years by all the other wizards), but after his resurrection he would sacrifice animals (which enraged the Badger) or computer files. Ham would use his power over weather to influence markets and generate wealth for himself; occasionally his supernatural dealings would bring him into conflict with demons, whom the Badger would then be called upon to fight.

Is The Badger the best comic book ever? Because that makes it sound like the best comic book ever.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

muscles like this? posted:

He was James Bond's nephew right? I guess James Bond had a brother also called James Bond.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

Is The Badger the best comic book ever? Because that makes it sound like the best comic book ever.

I dunno. It got a little weird in the second issue where Ham forced badger to be his slave and made him wear a sexy outfit. But it all turned around after the badger professed his eternal love for Ham.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I clicked on the Marvel Heroes thread in games on a lark and it actually looked decent and not some time gated f2p scam like I figured it was? With really deep lore too? Might have to check it out.

Sorta related, I wish there were good Marvel games for console that werent Lego

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

zoux posted:

I clicked on the Marvel Heroes thread in games on a lark and it actually looked decent and not some time gated f2p scam like I figured it was? With really deep lore too? Might have to check it out.

Marvel Puzzle Quest is probably better, but I stopped playing Facebook games because of the "pester your friends!" aspect, no matter how light or unnecessary it is in Marvel Heroes.

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah check out Nexus from that period of Baron's work too, it's just as wonderfully insane. I have Baron on facebook actually and he's uh... quite the character. Pretty funny. Good writer who brings out the best in his collaborators too, Nexus has some of Steve Rude's best work.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 6, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

muscles like this? posted:

I guess having one of Bond's many bastard kids running around having adventure wouldn't be considered kid friendly.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lightning Lord posted:

Marvel Puzzle Quest is probably better, but I stopped playing Facebook games because of the "pester your friends!" aspect, no matter how light or unnecessary it is in Marvel Heroes.

I think you're thinking of Avengers Alliance.

Marvel Heroes is fun if you're into Diablo style games. Get a feel for it with one of the free characters, and don't feel bad if you drop some money on a character or two that you like. It can become a huge money sink if you feel the need to buy a bunch of characters and costumes, so moderation is key. They got me for around $20 for Hawkeye's Ronin costume, Thor, and Thor's classic outfit.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I fully maintain that the nephew thing was a smokescreen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

There's been rumblings for years that they're going to eventually port that over to consoles.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The running joke in the Marvel Heroes thread is that the game is bad and dying, but if you're new you're missing the context that the people saying it have spent 2000+ hours playing it and have everything maxed. They don't release content fast enough for gigantic blob men who accidentally hit their space bar with their gut, but who does?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
According to the intro, "he learned the game from his uncle James and now he's heir to the name". Maybe he's really a nephew but his name was like, Clark Bond until he was mentored by his uncle and took James Bond Jr. as a codename.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One kind of skeezy thing the Marvel Heroes developers did was exploit a loophole in Metacritic. They changed the game's name and were able to get it re-rated as if it was a new release, thus ignoring any older reviews.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I just assumed that was running through your head 24/7.

Oh Rhyno, you always know the truth of my innermost self. 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Found some Amalgam Comis at the used book shop. Gonna read the poo poo out of Magneto And His Magnetic Men.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

Found some Amalgam Comis at the used book shop. Gonna read the poo poo out of Magneto And His Magnetic Men.

That comic is no bullshit the reason I to this day remember what diamagnetism is. Big "ups", as the youth say, to both it and X-Patrol.

e: And Super-Soldier. And Spider-Boy. And Bat-Thing, Dark Claw Adventures, Generation Hex, Lobo the Duck, the Challengers of the Fantastic...

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 6, 2016

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Squizzle posted:

That comic is no bullshit the reason I to this day remember what diamagnetism is. Big "ups", as the youth say, to both it and X-Patrol.

Don't be ashamed!

Show of hands - who learned new words/phrases because of comics? poo poo you didn't get from Sesame Street and by the time you got to high school and they tossed that vocabulary lesson you're way you were like "hey, I read this in Amazing Spiderman when I was 9".

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ferrule posted:

Show of hands - who learned new words/phrases because of comics? poo poo you didn't get from Sesame Street and by the time you got to high school and they tossed that vocabulary lesson you're way you were like "hey, I read this in Amazing Spiderman when I was 9".

My dad taught himself to read entirely from comics.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Ferrule posted:

Don't be ashamed!

I learned that you can't read in dreams because of Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Madkal posted:

I learned that you can't read in dreams because of Batman.

Yeah, me too. It's not true, tho. Batman lied to us all.

• Locked thread